Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

Default Need Yankee Boiled Peanut Recipe

Crash loves peanuts. Crash hates his dentures. I'd like to surprise
Crash with soft peanuts that he can gum. We live in Minnesota, where
we can't always find raw peanuts in the shell. In fact, I've never
seen them.

I've read many recipes for these, along with some commentary on some
of the recipes, all of which leads me to request the following in a
boiled peanut recipe:

No shells
Either raw or blanched peanuts (no dry-roasted or oil roasted)
Just salt, no other seasonings

I've seen a couple recipes for making them in crockpots. Any
thoughts, given the current energy situation, on whether it would be
more cost-effective to boil them on the gas stovetop, or simmer them
all day in a crockpot?

Thanks all!
Carol, glad she didn't ask for authentic barbecued boiled peanuts
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos
Posted to rec.food.cooking
kevnbro

Damsel-

My grandmother who lives in Alabama has made boiled peanuts as long as
I can remember. I don't know her exact recipe but I can find out if you
can't get a recipe here.
I know that she boils hers in the shell in salted water but I don't
know the proportions or time involved... they are mushy and tasty
enough to gum though! (no teeth required)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On 9 Dec 2005 07:04:29 -0800, "kevnbro" > wrote:

> Damsel-
>
> My grandmother who lives in Alabama has made boiled peanuts as long as
> I can remember. I don't know her exact recipe but I can find out if you
> can't get a recipe here.
> I know that she boils hers in the shell in salted water but I don't
> know the proportions or time involved... they are mushy and tasty
> enough to gum though! (no teeth required)

Thanks! Hey, have you been around for awhile, or are you a recent
addition to our little dysfunctional family? I've just started
noticing you lately, and I enjoy your contributions.

Carol
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos
Posted to rec.food.cooking
kevnbro

I'm new... and just got scolded for my "martini" recipe which is very
good regardless of what you call it.
But I hope I can contribute here and there and as I cook alot, I hope
to get some good ideas, recipes and advice.
Thank you for noticing and I look forward to future discussions.

I'll keep my eye on this request today and if you don't get any
sufficient responses, I'll give my grandmother a call ( always a good
idea anyway) and see what she does to her boiled peanuts.

Kev

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On 9 Dec 2005 07:10:49 -0800, "kevnbro" > wrote:

> I'm new... and just got scolded for my "martini" recipe which is very
> good regardless of what you call it.

You <gasp!> posted a non-regulation martini recipe? 30 lashes with a
wet noodle! LOL! Those martini discussions become so rabid that I've
filtered the word, "martini," so I don't have to look at them.

> But I hope I can contribute here and there and as I cook alot, I hope
> to get some good ideas, recipes and advice.
> Thank you for noticing and I look forward to future discussions.

So do I. : )

> I'll keep my eye on this request today and if you don't get any
> sufficient responses, I'll give my grandmother a call ( always a good
> idea anyway) and see what she does to her boiled peanuts.

Thanks! Please tell her hi for me!

Carol
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos

Posted to rec.food.cooking
kevnbro

Thanks D! I've learned a "newbee" lesson today... funny thing is, I
love martini's- TRUE martini's, but that purist mentality is like
saying, "there's only one way to cook spaghetti" or "decafinated coffee
isn't coffee" etc.

I walked away from one of the political groups 'cause I got tired of
baseless name calling and accustions... I hope to avoid that here.

Yes, I will tread lightly in the future

and I will tell her you said "hi"

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sarah bennett

kevnbro wrote:
> Thanks D! I've learned a "newbee" lesson today... funny thing is, I
> love martini's- TRUE martini's, but that purist mentality is like
> saying, "there's only one way to cook spaghetti"

?????

>or "decafinated coffee
> isn't coffee" etc.

It isn't

> I walked away from one of the political groups 'cause I got tired of
> baseless name calling and accustions... I hope to avoid that here.
>
> Yes, I will tread lightly in the future
>
> and I will tell her you said "hi"

--

saerah

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams
Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

kevnbro wrote:
> Thanks D! I've learned a "newbee" lesson today... funny thing is, I
> love martini's- TRUE martini's, but that purist mentality is like
> saying, "there's only one way to cook spaghetti" or "decafinated
> coffee isn't coffee" etc.
>
> I walked away from one of the political groups 'cause I got tired of
> baseless name calling and accustions... I hope to avoid that here.

This group really isn't PC... but those who like their martini's get all het
up over anything not gin with a splash of vermouth

I've lived in/around Memphis since 1972. Never been to Automatic Slims.
Might have to give it a try sometime.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
kevnbro

Damsel,

I found this recipe at:
http://southernfood.about.com/od/peanuts/r/bl20127k.htm

Boiled Peanuts
INGREDIENTS:

* 3 cups peanuts, raw and in the shell
* 6 cups water
* 2 1/2 teaspoons salt

PREPARATION:
In a large saucepan, bring peanuts (in shell), water, and salt to a
boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 to 25 minutes. When
peanuts are done, the peanuts should have swollen to fill the pods. The
peanuts will be somewhat chewy. Serve hot in the shell.

This recipe sounds about right... i'll still give G'mama a call
thoughl

Make me some while you're at it... I love 'em.

Kev

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> Crash loves peanuts. Crash hates his dentures. I'd like to surprise
> Crash with soft peanuts that he can gum. We live in Minnesota, where
> we can't always find raw peanuts in the shell. In fact, I've never
> seen them.
>
> I've read many recipes for these, along with some commentary on some
> of the recipes, all of which leads me to request the following in a
> boiled peanut recipe:
>
> No shells
> Either raw or blanched peanuts (no dry-roasted or oil roasted)
> Just salt, no other seasonings
>
> I've seen a couple recipes for making them in crockpots. Any
> thoughts, given the current energy situation, on whether it would be
> more cost-effective to boil them on the gas stovetop, or simmer them
> all day in a crockpot?
>
> Thanks all!
> Carol, glad she didn't ask for authentic barbecued boiled peanuts

You should be able to buy raw peanuts, sans shells, like the ones you'd use
in peanut brittle. I make mine in the shell but can't think of any reason
why you couldn't use the shelled ones. I don't have a "recipe" per se;
cover with water and about 1 cup (!) of salt. You'll probably want to use
less salt; the shells absorb a lot of it and you aren't using peanuts in the
shell. I've never tried the crock pot method; I just slow simmer them in a
deep pot for a few hours.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
kevnbro

>This group really isn't PC... but those who like their martini's get all het up over anything not gin with a splash of vermouth

So i've learned Jill.
Yeah, give Automatic Slims a try, they've a very relaxed, cozy
environment and the food is quite good. You'll see their "martini"
carafe's (duke it out with them) on the bar ready to be spigoted into a
shaker and served up.

Kev

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

Default Newbie Traps (was: Need Yankee Boiled Peanut Recipe)

On 9 Dec 2005 07:25:29 -0800, "kevnbro" > wrote:

> Thanks D! I've learned a "newbee" lesson today... funny thing is, I
> love martini's- TRUE martini's, but that purist mentality is like
> saying, "there's only one way to cook spaghetti" or "decafinated coffee
> isn't coffee" etc.

LOL! I set my boyfriend (Crash) up earlier this year. He had
decided he wanted to start getting actively involved in the newsgroup.
So I told him to ask about the existence of Alfredo Sauce. That was
fun! (Alfredo Sauce doesn't exist).

Personally, I'm not a purist. But I like to play with them. Heehee!

Any other examples to keep our new friends out of trouble?

Carol
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos
Posted to rec.food.cooking
kevnbro

I think the downside to using shelled peanuts would be at the risk of
cooking them too long and them disintergrating. What I love about
boiled peanuts is popping them into my mouth shell and all, sucking out
the salty brine, then peeling them open to reveal a tender but slightly
chewy peanut. If you chose to use shelled peanuts due to not being able
to find raw peanuts in the shell, i'd suggest you watch them very
closely while boiling.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

Thanks, Kev. But I don't have shells. Just one pound bags of peanuts
without shells or skins.

Carol

--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Fri, 9 Dec 2005 09:43:12 -0600, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

> You should be able to buy raw peanuts, sans shells, like the ones you'd use
> in peanut brittle. I make mine in the shell but can't think of any reason
> why you couldn't use the shelled ones. I don't have a "recipe" per se;
> cover with water and about 1 cup (!) of salt. You'll probably want to use
> less salt; the shells absorb a lot of it and you aren't using peanuts in the
> shell. I've never tried the crock pot method; I just slow simmer them in a
> deep pot for a few hours.

I'm starting with a 16 ounce bag. Is 1 cup of salt still applicable
to that amount?

Carol
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Dec 2005 09:43:12 -0600, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>> You should be able to buy raw peanuts, sans shells, like the ones
>> you'd use in peanut brittle. I make mine in the shell but can't
>> think of any reason why you couldn't use the shelled ones. I don't
>> have a "recipe" per se; cover with water and about 1 cup (!) of
>> salt. You'll probably want to use less salt; the shells absorb a
>> lot of it and you aren't using peanuts in the shell. I've never
>> tried the crock pot method; I just slow simmer them in a deep pot
>> for a few hours.

> I'm starting with a 16 ounce bag. Is 1 cup of salt still applicable
> to that amount?
>
> Carol

I wouldn't use that much without the shells... 1/4 c. maybe?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Felice Friese

"kevnbro" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I'm new... and just got scolded for my "martini" recipe which is very
> good regardless of what you call it.
> But I hope I can contribute here and there and as I cook alot, I hope
> to get some good ideas, recipes and advice.
> Thank you for noticing and I look forward to future discussions.
>
> I'll keep my eye on this request today and if you don't get any
> sufficient responses, I'll give my grandmother a call ( always a good
> idea anyway) and see what she does to her boiled peanuts.
>
> Kev

I've been out of circulation for a while, but I'm back in time to say "Good
Kev! Calling a grandmother IS always a good idea!"

Felice
(AKA Granny)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
kevnbro

Hehe... thanks Felice (sounds like an appropriate name)- i'll call her
today... I promise.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
kevnbro

>To keep Sheldon at bay never, ever, mention supermarket meat or
breasts.

Duely noted. The meat shouldn't be a problem- I get my meat at a
butchershop.

I'll leave the breastcommentary for another group.

Kev

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

kevnbro wrote:
> I'm new... and just got scolded for my "martini" recipe.
> I hope I can contribute here and there and as I cook alot.

Where's your recipe for "alot"?

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
kevnbro

I apologize for having so easily offended you Sheldon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On 9 Dec 2005 09:11:25 -0800, "kevnbro" > wrote:

> I apologize for having so easily offended you Sheldon.

OMG, no, Kev! He's our resident asshole. He was born on the wrong
side of the bed. Best killfiled if you have the capability.

Carol
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos
Posted to rec.food.cooking
zxcvbob

Default Newbie Traps

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On 9 Dec 2005 07:25:29 -0800, "kevnbro" > wrote:
>

>> Thanks D! I've learned a "newbee" lesson today... funny thing is, I
>>love martini's- TRUE martini's, but that purist mentality is like
>>saying, "there's only one way to cook spaghetti" or "decafinated coffee
>>isn't coffee" etc.

> LOL! I set my boyfriend (Crash) up earlier this year. He had
> decided he wanted to start getting actively involved in the newsgroup.
> So I told him to ask about the existence of Alfredo Sauce. That was
> fun! (Alfredo Sauce doesn't exist).
>
> Personally, I'm not a purist. But I like to play with them. Heehee!
>
> Any other examples to keep our new friends out of trouble?
>
> Carol

How about a nice Authentic Cuban Sandwich?

Then there's always the one about how long to parboil your barbecue
(especially ribs) before you bake it...

Best regards,
Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking
kevnbro

"Newbie Traps" aka. "I.E.D's- Individual Enlightenment Drubbings"

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Myers

"kevnbro" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I apologize for having so easily offended you Sheldon.

No need to apologize; you'll find you can offend Sheldon simply
by posting. Anything. Best to killfile him now, and be done
with it.

Bob M.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger

zxcvbob wrote:

>> Any other examples to keep our new friends out of trouble?

> How about a nice Authentic Cuban Sandwich?

I must have missed that discussion; I don't remember any dispute about Cuban
sandwiches. Are some people advocating making them with real Cubans?

But for kevnbro, here are some other RFC minefields: "Authentic" Chili,
barbecue (especially as a misnomer for grilling and NEVER involving
parboiling, crockpots, or liquid smoke), Philly cheese steak, bagels,
anything with the word "alfredo", mushroom soup (especially as used in green
bean casserole), Nieman Marcus cookies, Caesar salad, the merits of
vegetarianism, bad children with bad parents, "authentic" Reuben sandwiches,
the appropriate amount to tip, whether it's okay for cheese or mushrooms to
accompany seafood, cottage cheese in lasagna, "authentic" stroganoff, and
skate wings masquerading as scallops. Oh, and if you mention beets, some
people saw "Ewww!"

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jake

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

> Damsel in dis Dress > looking for trouble wrote in
> :
>

>>On 9 Dec 2005 07:04:29 -0800, "kevnbro" > wrote:
>>

>>>Damsel-
>>>
>>> My grandmother who lives in Alabama has made boiled peanuts as long as
>>>I can remember. I don't know her exact recipe but I can find out if you
>>>can't get a recipe here.
>>> I know that she boils hers in the shell in salted water but I don't
>>>know the proportions or time involved... they are mushy and tasty
>>>enough to gum though! (no teeth required)

>>Thanks! Hey, have you been around for awhile, or are you a recent
>>addition to our little dysfunctional family? I've just started
>>noticing you lately, and I enjoy your contributions.
>>
>>Carol

> I got this recipe from Southern Food. The problem I encountered when I last
> made these was the controversy of using raw vs. processed peanuts. I used
> unsalted, processed peanuts. There are all kinds of opinions out there on
> which type of nut to use.
>
> Boiled Peanuts
> From Diana Rattray,
> Your Guide to Southern U.S. Cuisine.
>
> INGREDIENTS:
>
> 3 cups peanuts, raw and in the shell
> 6 cups water
> 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
> PREPARATION:
>
> In a large saucepan, bring peanuts (in shell), water, and salt to a boil.
> Reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 to 25 minutes. When peanuts are
> done, the peanuts should have swollen to fill the pods

I am happy you posted this. I could not imagine boiled peanuts at all,
but this lists what they look like. It doesn't sound like an appealing
visual. Therefore, I must try this - I ma sure it will interesting at
the very least and probably simply taste good.

Are boiled peanuts a snack? Or are there traditions on what to serve
them with?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
PastaLover

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> Crash loves peanuts. Crash hates his dentures. I'd like to surprise
> Crash with soft peanuts that he can gum. We live in Minnesota, where
> we can't always find raw peanuts in the shell. In fact, I've never
> seen them.
>
> I've read many recipes for these, along with some commentary on some
> of the recipes, all of which leads me to request the following in a
> boiled peanut recipe:
>
> No shells
> Either raw or blanched peanuts (no dry-roasted or oil roasted)
> Just salt, no other seasonings
>
> I've seen a couple recipes for making them in crockpots. Any
> thoughts, given the current energy situation, on whether it would be
> more cost-effective to boil them on the gas stovetop, or simmer them
> all day in a crockpot?
>
> Thanks all!
> Carol, glad she didn't ask for authentic barbecued boiled peanuts

I wear dentures and don't have any problems with peanuts. The peanuts
bother me in other ways (intestinal problems).

I was recently in Florida and discovered the southern treat of boiled
peanuts. They start with raw peanuts, the fresher the better, and then
boil them in salty water.

They were still chewy enough I wouldn't have been able to eat them
without the dentures, so I don't know if my mouth is just very sensitive
or whether boiled peanuts would be soft enough to gum.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote

> zxcvbob wrote:
>
>>> Any other examples to keep our new friends out of trouble?

>> How about a nice Authentic Cuban Sandwich?

> I must have missed that discussion; I don't remember any dispute about
> Cuban
> sandwiches. Are some people advocating making them with real Cubans?
>
> But for kevnbro, here are some other RFC minefields: "Authentic" Chili,
> barbecue (especially as a misnomer for grilling and NEVER involving
> parboiling, crockpots, or liquid smoke), Philly cheese steak, bagels,
> anything with the word "alfredo", mushroom soup (especially as used in
> green
> bean casserole), Nieman Marcus cookies, Caesar salad, the merits of
> vegetarianism, bad children with bad parents, "authentic" Reuben
> sandwiches,
> the appropriate amount to tip, whether it's okay for cheese or mushrooms
> accompany seafood, cottage cheese in lasagna, "authentic" stroganoff, and
> skate wings masquerading as scallops. Oh, and if you mention beets, some
> people saw "Ewww!"

You seriously forgot to mention chicken scampi. Never *mind* chicken caesar
salad.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 15:06:53 -0700, PastaLover >
wrote:

> I wear dentures and don't have any problems with peanuts. The peanuts
> bother me in other ways (intestinal problems).
>
> I was recently in Florida and discovered the southern treat of boiled
> peanuts. They start with raw peanuts, the fresher the better, and then
> boil them in salty water.
>
> They were still chewy enough I wouldn't have been able to eat them
> without the dentures, so I don't know if my mouth is just very sensitive
> or whether boiled peanuts would be soft enough to gum.

Yeah, Crash said he can't eat them without the dentures. His
dentures don't fit properly, so he only uses them for special
occasions.

Carol
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos
Posted to rec.food.cooking
PastaLover

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 15:06:53 -0700, PastaLover >
> wrote:
>

>>I wear dentures and don't have any problems with peanuts. The peanuts
>>bother me in other ways (intestinal problems).
>>
>>I was recently in Florida and discovered the southern treat of boiled
>>peanuts. They start with raw peanuts, the fresher the better, and then
>>boil them in salty water.
>>
>>They were still chewy enough I wouldn't have been able to eat them
>>without the dentures, so I don't know if my mouth is just very sensitive
>>or whether boiled peanuts would be soft enough to gum.

> Yeah, Crash said he can't eat them without the dentures. His
> dentures don't fit properly, so he only uses them for special
> occasions.
>
> Carol

He should get them fitted properly. Think of all the great things he's
missing! Including boiled peanuts. I'm just thankful that a work project
will take me back to Florida next month for 5 weeks. I hate Florida, but
the seafood and now boiled peanuts make it a bit more tolerable. ;-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Christine Dabney

On 9 Dec 2005 15:41:03 -0600, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Oh, and if you mention beets, some
>people saw "Ewww!"

I was gonna say, that beets are a bad word to some folks around here.
Not me, though.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Tara

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 12:37:42 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

>The cotton-pickin' peanuts have been boiling for nearly two hours. I
>finally gave up and drained them. Crash still can't eat them without
>his dentures, but I enjoy them. ::sigh::

Well, at least you tried and now you have a treat. Since Crash likes
peanuts, I wonder if he would like edamame (soybeans). You can buy
them frozen in the pod and steam or boil them. You cook them in the
pod and eat them by popping the soybeans out with your teeth/gums.
I add lots of salt and they always remind me of boiled peanuts, which
I love.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Bubbo

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> Crash loves peanuts. Crash hates his dentures. I'd like to surprise
> Crash with soft peanuts that he can gum. We live in Minnesota, where
> we can't always find raw peanuts in the shell. In fact, I've never
> seen them.
>
> I've read many recipes for these, along with some commentary on some
> of the recipes, all of which leads me to request the following in a
> boiled peanut recipe:
>
> No shells
> Either raw or blanched peanuts (no dry-roasted or oil roasted)
> Just salt, no other seasonings
>
> I've seen a couple recipes for making them in crockpots. Any
> thoughts, given the current energy situation, on whether it would be
> more cost-effective to boil them on the gas stovetop, or simmer them
> all day in a crockpot?
>
> Thanks all!
> Carol, glad she didn't ask for authentic barbecued boiled peanuts

I don't have a recipe but let me just say....my god I love love love boiled
peanuts! The first time I had them I was driving from new orleans to mobile
and just as I crossed over to mississipi there was an old lady in a lawn chair
on the side of the road with a giant pot on a propane burner selling boiled
peanuts. I figured, what the hell, when in rome and all that and got me some
boiled peanuts.

The woman had no teeth in and an accent so thick I don;t think I understood a
word she was saying. We got a bag of plain and a bag of cajun. They're made in
the shells, which I ate (I always eat peanut shells, boiled or not) but my
companions only ate the peanuts.

After the hurricane, with all the frantic worry with David's family and
friends down there, I had a moment when I thought about her, that little old
lady selling her boiled peanuts on the side of the road and I cried a little
for her as well.

Wow, this post went from fun to sad in 2.3 seconds.

On the bright side again, I ate a giant bag of boiled peanuts that I got at
the side of the road in the florida keys in april and it did my heart good.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mike Van Pelt

In article >,
Bob Terwilliger > wrote:
>Oh, and if you mention b**ts, ...

Please, show some civility. There's no call for
that kind of language on the newsgroup.

--
Tagon: "Where's your sense of adventure?" | Mike Van Pelt
Kevyn: "It died under mysterious circumstances. | mvp at calweb.com
My sense of self-preservation found the body, | KE6BVH
but assures me it has an airtight alibi." (schlockmercenary.com)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 17:26:13 -0700, PastaLover >
wrote:

> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> >
> > Yeah, Crash said he can't eat them without the dentures. His
> > dentures don't fit properly, so he only uses them for special
> > occasions.
> >
> > Carol

> He should get them fitted properly. Think of all the great things he's
> missing! Including boiled peanuts. I'm just thankful that a work project
> will take me back to Florida next month for 5 weeks. I hate Florida, but
> the seafood and now boiled peanuts make it a bit more tolerable. ;-)

And corn on the cob. He's been having all these surgeries, so it
hasn't been high on his list, but he hopes to get them straightened
out soon.

Carol
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos
Posted to rec.food.cooking
PastaLover

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 17:26:13 -0700, PastaLover >
> wrote:
>

>>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>>
>>>Yeah, Crash said he can't eat them without the dentures. His
>>>dentures don't fit properly, so he only uses them for special
>>>occasions.
>>>
>>>Carol

>>He should get them fitted properly. Think of all the great things he's
>>missing! Including boiled peanuts. I'm just thankful that a work project
>>will take me back to Florida next month for 5 weeks. I hate Florida, but
>>the seafood and now boiled peanuts make it a bit more tolerable. ;-)

> And corn on the cob. He's been having all these surgeries, so it
> hasn't been high on his list, but he hopes to get them straightened
> out soon.
>
> Carol

Ah, I have Crohn's Disease myself, so I can understand health problems
and priorities. I wish him the best.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
jake

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> jake > looking for trouble wrote in
> . nl:
>

>>Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
>>

>>>Damsel in dis Dress > looking for trouble

>>>I got this recipe from Southern Food. The problem I encountered when
>>>I last made these was the controversy of using raw vs. processed
>>>peanuts. I used unsalted, processed peanuts. There are all kinds of
>>>opinions out there on which type of nut to use.
>>>
>>>Boiled Peanuts
>>>From Diana Rattray,
>>>Your Guide to Southern U.S. Cuisine.
>>>
>>>INGREDIENTS:
>>>
>>>3 cups peanuts, raw and in the shell
>>>6 cups water
>>>2 1/2 teaspoons salt
>>>PREPARATION:
>>>
>>>In a large saucepan, bring peanuts (in shell), water, and salt to a
>>>boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 to 25 minutes. When
>>>peanuts are done, the peanuts should have swollen to fill the pods
>>>

>>I am happy you posted this. I could not imagine boiled peanuts at
>>all, but this lists what they look like. It doesn't sound like an
>>appealing visual. Therefore, I must try this - I ma sure it will
>>interesting at the very least and probably simply taste good.
>>
>>Are boiled peanuts a snack? Or are there traditions on what to serve
>>them with?

> Ya' just eat 'em. I eat them as a snack but they are addictive, at least
> to me.
>
> Michael

Thank you for your answer. i'll give this a try after the holidays.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 00:53:48 GMT, Tara > wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 12:37:42 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
> > wrote:
>
> >The cotton-pickin' peanuts have been boiling for nearly two hours. I
> >finally gave up and drained them. Crash still can't eat them without
> >his dentures, but I enjoy them. ::sigh::

> Well, at least you tried and now you have a treat. Since Crash likes
> peanuts, I wonder if he would like edamame (soybeans). You can buy
> them frozen in the pod and steam or boil them. You cook them in the
> pod and eat them by popping the soybeans out with your teeth/gums.
> I add lots of salt and they always remind me of boiled peanuts, which
> I love.

Hmmm ... I've never seen them in the pod, but I'll take another look.
I love edamame. I just cook the beans, butter them, and have at it.
I'm not sure if Crash will try them, but I'll give it the ol' Girl
Scout try!

Carol
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos