Posted to rec.food.cooking
Louis Cohen

Default Arroz al Liberal

I clicked on a banner ad for tourism in Andalucia, and on the link to,
what else, food. The article mentioned a specialty of Granada called
"el arroz al liberal" - Blue State Rice. I googled arroz al liberal and
found only the Spanish version of the page which says this:

el arroz al liberal (cargadísimo de especias con perdiz y conejo
deshuesados) = heavily laden with spices and boneless partridge and rabbit

Yahoo search found the same sites - can anyone find a recipe?

Thanks

Louis Cohen

Bah! Humbug!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

Louis Cohen wrote:
> I clicked on a banner ad for tourism in Andalucia, and on the link to,
> what else, food. The article mentioned a specialty of Granada called
> "el arroz al liberal" - Blue State Rice. I googled arroz al liberal and
> found only the Spanish version of the page which says this:
>
> el arroz al liberal (cargadísimo de especias con perdiz y conejo
> deshuesados) = heavily laden with spices and boneless partridge and rabbit
>
> Yahoo search found the same sites - can anyone find a recipe?

Go here and click on #7. Arroz con conejo.
http://www.alqueriamorayma.com/recetas.htm
It's a rice with rabbit recipe -- in Spanish, but probably
decipherable.

Somewhere near that page I found this:
El arroz que cocinamos es el arroz con conejo. Aquí se le hecha
almendra y azafrán productos que se cultivan en la zona. Cuando la
carne es liebre o conejo silvestre, se le suele llamar arroz liberal.
Es un arroz caldoso.

Which may say, since my Spanish is always questionable, something like:
The rice we cook is rice with rabbit. Here it's made with almonds and
saffron, productos cultivated in the area. When the meat is hare or
wild rabbit, we are accustomed to calling it 'arroz liberal.' It is a
soupy rice. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

aem wrote:
> [snip]
> Which may say, since my Spanish is always questionable, something like:
> The rice we cook is rice with rabbit. Here it's made with almonds and
> saffron, productos cultivated in the area. When the meat is hare or
> wild rabbit, we are accustomed to calling it 'arroz liberal.' It is a
> soupy rice. -aem

Thinking about it, in context the name 'liberal' probably connotes
'free' or 'wild' (as in 'liberated') if they use that name when it's
wild rabbit. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking
modom

On 8 Dec 2005 16:57:41 -0800, "aem" > wrote:

>aem wrote:
>> [snip]
>> Which may say, since my Spanish is always questionable, something like:
>> The rice we cook is rice with rabbit. Here it's made with almonds and
>> saffron, productos cultivated in the area. When the meat is hare or
>> wild rabbit, we are accustomed to calling it 'arroz liberal.' It is a
>> soupy rice. -aem

>Thinking about it, in context the name 'liberal' probably connotes
>'free' or 'wild' (as in 'liberated') if they use that name when it's
>wild rabbit. -aem

That would be my take. I live in a red state, but I'm FREE!

modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

modom wrote:
> On 8 Dec 2005 16:57:41 -0800, "aem" > wrote:
>

> >aem wrote:
> >> [snip]
> >> Which may say, since my Spanish is always questionable, something like:
> >> The rice we cook is rice with rabbit. Here it's made with almonds and
> >> saffron, productos cultivated in the area. When the meat is hare or
> >> wild rabbit, we are accustomed to calling it 'arroz liberal.' It is a
> >> soupy rice. -aem

> >Thinking about it, in context the name 'liberal' probably connotes
> >'free' or 'wild' (as in 'liberated') if they use that name when it's
> >wild rabbit. -aem

> That would be my take. I live in a red state, but I'm FREE!

Probably the reddest. I hear there are places in your state where you
can't even pull off the side of the road and have a picnic. Didn't you
say, 'Last in education, first in executions'? That you have Molly
Ivins is your saving grace. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking
MareCat

"aem" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> modom wrote:

>> >Thinking about it, in context the name 'liberal' probably connotes
>> >'free' or 'wild' (as in 'liberated') if they use that name when it's
>> >wild rabbit. -aem

>> That would be my take. I live in a red state, but I'm FREE!
>>

> Probably the reddest. I hear there are places in your state where you
> can't even pull off the side of the road and have a picnic. Didn't you
> say, 'Last in education, first in executions'? That you have Molly
> Ivins is your saving grace. -aem

And Jim Hightower...and Janine Garafalo...and Willie Nelson...and the Dixie
Chicks...

At least as far as Shrub's approval rating goes, Tejas isn't the reddest
state, believe it or not:
http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2005/11/23/13222/916

Many metro areas in TX are actually purple...and Austin is downright BLUE!

Mary (in Houston)--also FREE

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Louis Cohen

Thanks - that was it, I'm sure. How did you find the web site?

aem wrote:

> Go here and click on #7. Arroz con conejo.
> http://www.alqueriamorayma.com/recetas.htm
> It's a rice with rabbit recipe -- in Spanish, but probably
> decipherable.
>
> Somewhere near that page I found this:
> El arroz que cocinamos es el arroz con conejo. Aquí se le hecha
> almendra y azafrán productos que se cultivan en la zona. Cuando la
> carne es liebre o conejo silvestre, se le suele llamar arroz liberal.
> Es un arroz caldoso.
>
> Which may say, since my Spanish is always questionable, something like:
> The rice we cook is rice with rabbit. Here it's made with almonds and
> saffron, productos cultivated in the area. When the meat is hare or
> wild rabbit, we are accustomed to calling it 'arroz liberal.' It is a
> soupy rice. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

Louis Cohen wrote:
> Thanks - that was it, I'm sure. How did you find the web site?

Mostly I wander around, clicking here, clicking there, backing away
from [most of] the porn sites, clicking some more....

But when I want Google to do most of the work I typically include as
many relevant words or phrases as possible, enclosing (sometimes on a
trial basis) as many in quotation marks as possible. Just now, for
example, I googled on <arroz liberal> and got 111,000 hits. I googled
on <arroz liberal andalucia granada perdiz conejo> and got 319 hits,
the first two pages of which included several likely prospects. Then I
went back and enclosed "arroz liberal" in quotation marks and got 8
hits, all of them relevant. In this particular case I also got lucky,
because the 'al' in 'arroz al liberal' turned out to be a red herring.
The way I happened to do it avoided that. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Leila

And Texas has Naomi Shihab Nye, an incredible poet, a terrific writer
of children's books, a great hearted spirit. She's in San Antonio, too,
not Austin. I met her in NYC and we talked politics. She wanted me to
know that not all of Texas is W country.

Leila

Posted to rec.food.cooking
MareCat

"Leila" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> And Texas has Naomi Shihab Nye, an incredible poet, a terrific writer
> of children's books, a great hearted spirit. She's in San Antonio, too,
> not Austin. I met her in NYC and we talked politics. She wanted me to
> know that not all of Texas is W country.

The rural areas (and the affluent suburbs) are mostly W country, but that's
true of many other states (even "blue" ones), as well. Harris Co. (where
Houston is located) voted 55% (for W) to 45% (for Kerry) in '04--almost
50/50. Hardly the same as other southern "red" states (e.g., Mississippi and
Alabama).

I think people not from TX are often surprised at what a diverse state it is
(I know I was when I moved down here from PA 15 years ago). Yes, parts of it
are exactly like what most people would expect TX to be like, but other
areas are very, very different.

OB food: Grilled pork loin stuffed with bacon cornbread stuffing and rubbed
with olive oil, garlic, paprika, and s/p, along with steamed broccoli for
dinner last night (and lunch today). Chili (in bread bowls) for dinner
tonight.

Mary

Liberal prohibitionists try to ban malt liquor Dänk 666 Beer 2 28-07-2011 12:58 PM
Liberal Bill Maher BLASTS Obama... cybercat General Cooking 2 20-06-2009 06:00 AM
2001 Haut Bages Liberal Ric Wine 0 22-01-2007 02:52 AM
Baked Camembert & liberal quantities of vino LadyJane General Cooking 7 16-07-2006 01:15 PM
Arroz Rich McCormack Mexican Cooking 1 12-11-2003 05:57 PM