Old 10-12-2005, 02:55 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Ken

Default How do you call....

I have understand the first example but not the second.
BTW, thank you Carol!

I have understood, sorry.....

Pandora

Pandora,

You're doing great with the English language. As it's been said, it's
"What do you call ...?" or "How do you say ...?" English and all
languages are full of thousands of nuances that just have to be
memorized. I'm having a hard time learning all the A and O endings of
Spanish nouns that just come automatically to a native speaker. (I
don't know much Italian, but I'm guessing it's the same with noun
endings. Automatic to you, and driving me crazy.) So you're doing
better with English than I am with Spanish.

If it wasn't for that little Norman invasion almost a thousand years
ago, the language of England and The States would be a bit more
logical. You know what they say about England and the U.S.: Two
countries separated by a common language.

Just to drive you nuts, in the U.S. and alarm going on and an alarm
going off mean the same thing. But once it goes either on or off, you
have to turn it off. We know it makes absolutely no logical sense, but
that's just the way it's said.

As I say to my friends who are not native English speakers when they
ask why it's a particular way: Welcome to the English language.

You're doing great.

Ken

P.S. Sorry, no food content.

Old 10-12-2005, 03:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Terry Pulliam Burd

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 00:00:37 -0800, Denny Wheeler
rummaged among random neurons
and opined:

On 8 Dec 2005 12:09:37 -0800, "kevnbro" wrote:

Me too ROTFLASTC!

Rolling On The Floor Laughing And Spasming 'Til Comatose?

When I use that, it's '...And Scaring the Cats'

Ackshully, it also used to be ROTFLMAOASTC

Rolling on the floor, laughing my *ss off and scaring the cat.

Usenet acronyms were way more fun back in the day sigh

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

Old 10-12-2005, 09:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Pandora

"Ken" ha scritto nel messaggio
oups.com...

I have understand the first example but not the second.
BTW, thank you Carol!

I have understood, sorry.....

Pandora

Pandora,

You're doing great with the English language. As it's been said, it's
"What do you call ...?" or "How do you say ...?" English and all
languages are full of thousands of nuances that just have to be
memorized. I'm having a hard time learning all the A and O endings of
Spanish nouns that just come automatically to a native speaker. (I
don't know much Italian, but I'm guessing it's the same with noun
endings. Automatic to you, and driving me crazy.) So you're doing
better with English than I am with Spanish.

If you know Spanish, you know italian and viceversa
Btw. Thank you for the answer.

If it wasn't for that little Norman invasion almost a thousand years
ago, the language of England and The States would be a bit more
logical. You know what they say about England and the U.S.: Two
countries separated by a common language.

Yes! You are right.

Just to drive you nuts, in the U.S. and alarm going on and an alarm
going off mean the same thing. But once it goes either on or off, you
have to turn it off. We know it makes absolutely no logical sense, but
that's just the way it's said.

Yes. It's a very strange thing!!!

As I say to my friends who are not native English speakers when they
ask why it's a particular way: Welcome to the English language.

LOL

You're doing great.

You are very kind to tell me

Ken

P.S. Sorry, no food content.

I can put here a food content: I want to ask you ( I have understood you are
english), what kind of fish you use for making "Fish and chips". I like this
dish very much.
I have tasted when I was 15 during my staying in England.
TIA
Pandora

Old 10-12-2005, 10:11 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Charlene Charette

Pandora, take this correction in the good-natured spirit you usually do.
"At school, they taught me...."

Oh yes! No problem! I Am happy if you correct me!!!!! I Am here to learn!

"Have teach" is "not an option."

Well, it could also be "they have taught me...". I teach ESL to adults;
I don't envy anyone trying to learn it. I'm currently attempting to
learn Italian.

--Charlene

--
Euthanasia: Generally more proficient at math and science than
euthanamerica. -- Bayan, Rick; The Cynic's Dictionary, 2002

email perronnelle at earthlink . net
Old 10-12-2005, 12:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Pandora

"Charlene Charette" ha scritto nel messaggio
ink.net...
Pandora, take this correction in the good-natured spirit you usually do.
"At school, they taught me...."

Oh yes! No problem! I Am happy if you correct me!!!!! I Am here to learn!

"Have teach" is "not an option."

Well, it could also be "they have taught me...". I teach ESL to adults; I
don't envy anyone trying to learn it. I'm currently attempting to learn
Italian.

I learnt that if you are speaking about a thing very far away in time you
must use past tense. If this thing is not very far you use past participle
(also in italian grammatic is like this). You must also think this: I must
explain to you that I've studied English since I was 11 until I was 25 and I
was very good in this subject because I loved it. Now I Am 45 and I have
forgotten many things. You must take in account that I don't normally use
English language with someone other than the persons who attende this NG.
For this reason, not only love for cooking, I Am here

--Charlene

Old 10-12-2005, 01:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia

"Pandora" wrote in message

[...]

This is a cooking group not an English Language group. We can
understand what you say and that is all that matters! If you are stuck
with a word, then just ask, but I don't think grammer matters a lot
here. Don't let it put you off posting Pandora. I enjoy your recipes
and your pictures and I don't care if you
get some words wrong I wish I could speak Italian half as well as you
speak English

Old 10-12-2005, 04:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Ken

Pandora,

Actually, I'm a Yank, an American. There's another funny one. Why are
people from the U.S. Americans, but people from Canada are not? Or
Mexico? Or Brazil? Or ....

Traditionally, fish and chips (What Americans call French fries or
usually just fries. Chips in the U.S. are what the Brits call crisps.)
were traditionally made with Atlantic cod. But the cod fisheries are
way, way down like many commercial fish stocks. So I don't know if
they still use cod or have had to switch due to necessity. Any Brits
care to answer this one?

Thanks,

Ken

Old 10-12-2005, 04:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"Ken" wrote

Actually, I'm a Yank, an American. There's another funny one. Why are
people from the U.S. Americans, but people from Canada are not? Or
Mexico? Or Brazil? Or ....

Because they aren't Americans, they are either North Americans or
South Americans.

nancy

Old 10-12-2005, 05:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Pandora

"Ophelia" ha scritto nel messaggio
k...

"Pandora" wrote in message

[...]

Thank you, Ophelia, you are always a "gentle...woman" ....if it's possible
to exchange the psycological meaning of the word "gentleman"...

Cheers and thank you
Pandora

Old 10-12-2005, 06:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Pandora

"Ken" ha scritto nel messaggio
ps.com...
Pandora,

Actually, I'm a Yank, an American. There's another funny one. Why are
people from the U.S. Americans, but people from Canada are not? Or
Mexico? Or Brazil? Or ....

Traditionally, fish and chips (What Americans call French fries or
usually just fries. Chips in the U.S. are what the Brits call crisps.)
were traditionally made with Atlantic cod. But the cod fisheries are
way, way down like many commercial fish stocks. So I don't know if
they still use cod or have had to switch due to necessity. Any Brits
care to answer this one?

Sorry, I have misunderstood!
i thought you was an English man!
Cheers
Pandora

Thanks,

Ken

Old 10-12-2005, 06:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
kevnbro

Traditionally, fish and chips (What Americans call French fries or usually just fries. Chips in the U.S. are what the Brits call crisps.) were traditionally made with Atlantic cod. But the cod fisheries are way, way down like many commercial fish stocks. So I don't know if they still use cod or have had to switch due to necessity. Any Brits care to answer this one?

I'm no Brit and can't answer your question but I do know that Rock Cod
or more commonly "Dogfish" which is actually a shark (Cape Shark), is
the fish of choice for fish & chips.
I would love to get my hands on some as I loved getting a hot,
steaming newspaper wrapped pile of fish & chips drenched in malt
vinegar in the Winter when I was stationed in Newquay Cornwall.
(http://www.newquay.org.uk/)
Top it off with a pint!! Lordy! Lordy! Kev

Old 10-12-2005, 06:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Ken

Sorry, I have misunderstood!
i thought you was an English man!
Cheers
Pandora

Pandora,

Hey, no problem. I've been called much worse.

Since you said you want to learn English, and we're talking about
things that don't make any sense, here's another. The pronoun "you"
always takes a plural verb, even if it's being used as a singular noun.
So it's always "you were ...." I know I'm only one person, but you is
always considered plural for noun/verb agreement.

So it's, "He cooks a great ...." But it's, "You cook a great ..." even
though you're talking to only one person.

Like I said, welcome to the English language.

In my opinion, the best way to learn a language is to hear it and speak
it. In the U.S., many immigrant adults have learned English by
watching Sesame Street, a kids' TV show. You're way beyond that
point, but it's much easier to learn by hearing and speaking than by
reading postings on your monitor. I don't know where you live, but are
English TV shows available there? They would probably help you with
your English more than the computer.

Okay, now I'm curious. You've probably posted this before, but where
do you live?

Thanks,

Ken

Old 10-12-2005, 06:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia

"Pandora" wrote in message

[...]

Gentlewoman is an official word)) Thank you for your kind words

Old 10-12-2005, 06:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
kevnbro

Usenet acronyms were way more fun back in the day sigh

sigh Shouldn't that be SMAO? Kev

Old 10-12-2005, 06:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 21:13:12 +0100, "Pandora"
wrote:

http://images.google.com/images?q=uo...a +con+Google
But I make them more fried and burnt! I like them like this!

Quelle disappointment.... that's just a sunnyside up egg. I was
hoping for "deviled" eggs.
http://www.ashland-city.k12.oh.us/ah...dec20/eggs.jpg