Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

Default How do you call....

On Fri, 9 Dec 2005 18:54:33 +0100, "Pandora" >
wrote:

> "Pandora" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> >
> > "Damsel in dis Dress" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> > news

> >> When you want to know the name of something, say, "What do you call
> >> ... ?"
> >>
> >> When you want to know how to ask someone or something to come to you,
> >> say, "How do you call (your family to the dinner table)?" for example.

> > I have understand the first example but not the second.
> > BTW, thank you Carol!

> I have understood, sorry.....

Nothing to be sorry for. You're doing great! I don't know any other
language at all, and we all understand you very well. : )

Carol
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pandora

"Damsel in dis Dress" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Fri, 9 Dec 2005 18:54:33 +0100, "Pandora" >
> wrote:
>
>> "Pandora" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> >
>> > "Damsel in dis Dress" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> > news >> >> On Fri, 9 Dec 2005 18:35:01 +0100, "Pandora" >

>> > I have understand the first example but not the second.
>> > BTW, thank you Carol!

>> I have understood, sorry.....

> Nothing to be sorry for. You're doing great! I don't know any other
> language at all, and we all understand you very well. : )

I hope for you
Cheers
Pandora

> Carol
> --
>
> http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dimitri

"aem" > wrote in message
ps.com...

> Pandora wrote:
>> How do you call your cow's eye egg?
>>

>> In Italy we call: Uova all'occhio di bue".
>> And you?

> As best as I can tell, you break the yolk of a fried egg and cover up
> your incompetence by giving it a cute name. -aem

http://www.cucinait.com/370_3811.html

Top Picture? = Eggs Sunny Side Up

Dimitri.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

Dimitri wrote:
> "aem" > wrote in message
> ps.com...
> >
> > Pandora wrote:
> >> How do you call your cow's eye egg?
> >>

> >> In Italy we call: Uova all'occhio di bue".
> >> And you?

> > As best as I can tell, you break the yolk of a fried egg and cover up
> > your incompetence by giving it a cute name. -aem

> http://www.cucinait.com/370_3811.html
>
> Top Picture? = Eggs Sunny Side Up
>
> Dimitri.

I wrote that before looking at a picture but after she wrote that she
fried the egg hard and burnt. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pandora

"Dimitri" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> "aem" > wrote in message
> ps.com...
>>
>> Pandora wrote:
>>> How do you call your cow's eye egg?
>>>

>>> In Italy we call: Uova all'occhio di bue".
>>> And you?

>> As best as I can tell, you break the yolk of a fried egg and cover up
>> your incompetence by giving it a cute name. -aem

> http://www.cucinait.com/370_3811.html
>
> Top Picture? = Eggs Sunny Side Up
>
> Dimitri.

You have to explain to aem, because it seams he knows neither what an egg
is DD
Cheers
Pandora

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ken

> > I have understand the first example but not the second.
> > BTW, thank you Carol!

> I have understood, sorry.....
> >
> > Pandora

Pandora,

You're doing great with the English language. As it's been said, it's
"What do you call ...?" or "How do you say ...?" English and all
languages are full of thousands of nuances that just have to be
memorized. I'm having a hard time learning all the A and O endings of
Spanish nouns that just come automatically to a native speaker. (I
don't know much Italian, but I'm guessing it's the same with noun
endings. Automatic to you, and driving me crazy.) So you're doing
better with English than I am with Spanish.

If it wasn't for that little Norman invasion almost a thousand years
ago, the language of England and The States would be a bit more
logical. You know what they say about England and the U.S.: Two
countries separated by a common language.

Just to drive you nuts, in the U.S. and alarm going on and an alarm
going off mean the same thing. But once it goes either on or off, you
have to turn it off. We know it makes absolutely no logical sense, but
that's just the way it's said.

As I say to my friends who are not native English speakers when they
ask why it's a particular way: Welcome to the English language.

You're doing great.

Ken

P.S. Sorry, no food content.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Terry Pulliam Burd

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 00:00:37 -0800, Denny Wheeler
> rummaged among random neurons
and opined:

>On 8 Dec 2005 12:09:37 -0800, "kevnbro" > wrote:
>
>>>Me too ROTFLASTC!

>> Rolling On The Floor Laughing And Spasming 'Til Comatose?

>When I use that, it's '...And Scaring the Cats'

Ackshully, it also used to be ROTFLMAOASTC

Rolling on the floor, laughing my *ss off and scaring the cat.

Usenet acronyms were way more fun back in the day <sigh>

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pandora

"Ken" > ha scritto nel messaggio
oups.com...

>> > I have understand the first example but not the second.
>> > BTW, thank you Carol!

>> I have understood, sorry.....
>> >
>> > Pandora

> Pandora,
>
> You're doing great with the English language. As it's been said, it's
> "What do you call ...?" or "How do you say ...?" English and all
> languages are full of thousands of nuances that just have to be
> memorized. I'm having a hard time learning all the A and O endings of
> Spanish nouns that just come automatically to a native speaker. (I
> don't know much Italian, but I'm guessing it's the same with noun
> endings. Automatic to you, and driving me crazy.) So you're doing
> better with English than I am with Spanish.

If you know Spanish, you know italian and viceversa
Btw. Thank you for the answer.

> If it wasn't for that little Norman invasion almost a thousand years
> ago, the language of England and The States would be a bit more
> logical. You know what they say about England and the U.S.: Two
> countries separated by a common language.

Yes! You are right.

> Just to drive you nuts, in the U.S. and alarm going on and an alarm
> going off mean the same thing. But once it goes either on or off, you
> have to turn it off. We know it makes absolutely no logical sense, but
> that's just the way it's said.

Yes. It's a very strange thing!!!

> As I say to my friends who are not native English speakers when they
> ask why it's a particular way: Welcome to the English language.

LOL

> You're doing great.

You are very kind to tell me

> Ken
>
> P.S. Sorry, no food content.

I can put here a food content: I want to ask you ( I have understood you are
english), what kind of fish you use for making "Fish and chips". I like this
dish very much.
I have tasted when I was 15 during my staying in England.
TIA
Pandora

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Charlene Charette

>>Pandora, take this correction in the good-natured spirit you usually do.
>>"At school, they taught me...."

> Oh yes! No problem! I Am happy if you correct me!!!!! I Am here to learn!
>
>>"Have teach" is "not an option."

Well, it could also be "they have taught me...". I teach ESL to adults;
I don't envy anyone trying to learn it. I'm currently attempting to
learn Italian.

--Charlene

--
Euthanasia: Generally more proficient at math and science than
euthanamerica. -- Bayan, Rick; The Cynic's Dictionary, 2002

email perronnelle at earthlink . net
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pandora

"Charlene Charette" > ha scritto nel messaggio
ink.net...
>>>Pandora, take this correction in the good-natured spirit you usually do.
>>>"At school, they taught me...."

>> Oh yes! No problem! I Am happy if you correct me!!!!! I Am here to learn!
>>
>>>"Have teach" is "not an option."

> Well, it could also be "they have taught me...". I teach ESL to adults; I
> don't envy anyone trying to learn it. I'm currently attempting to learn
> Italian.

I learnt that if you are speaking about a thing very far away in time you
must use past tense. If this thing is not very far you use past participle
(also in italian grammatic is like this). You must also think this: I must
explain to you that I've studied English since I was 11 until I was 25 and I
was very good in this subject because I loved it. Now I Am 45 and I have
forgotten many things. You must take in account that I don't normally use
English language with someone other than the persons who attende this NG.
For this reason, not only love for cooking, I Am here

> --Charlene
>

> --
> Euthanasia: Generally more proficient at math and science than
> euthanamerica. -- Bayan, Rick; The Cynic's Dictionary, 2002
>

> email perronnelle at earthlink . net

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia

"Pandora" > wrote in message

> "Charlene Charette" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> ink.net...
>>>

>>> Oh yes! No problem! I Am happy if you correct me!!!!! I Am here to
>>> learn!

>> Well, it could also be "they have taught me...". I teach ESL to
>> adults; I don't envy anyone trying to learn it. I'm currently
>> attempting to learn Italian.

> I learnt that if you are speaking about a thing very far away in time
> you must use past tense. If this thing is not very far you use past
> participle (also in italian grammatic is like this). You must also
> think this: I must explain to you that I've studied English since I
> was 11 until I was 25 and I was very good in this subject because I
> loved it. Now I Am 45 and I have forgotten many things. You must take
> in account that I don't normally use English language with someone
> other than the persons who attende this NG.
> For this reason, not only love for cooking, I Am here

This is a cooking group not an English Language group. We can
understand what you say and that is all that matters! If you are stuck
with a word, then just ask, but I don't think grammer matters a lot
here. Don't let it put you off posting Pandora. I enjoy your recipes
and your pictures and I don't care if you
get some words wrong I wish I could speak Italian half as well as you
speak English

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ken

Pandora,

Actually, I'm a Yank, an American. There's another funny one. Why are
people from the U.S. Americans, but people from Canada are not? Or
Mexico? Or Brazil? Or ....

Traditionally, fish and chips (What Americans call French fries or
usually just fries. Chips in the U.S. are what the Brits call crisps.)
were traditionally made with Atlantic cod. But the cod fisheries are
way, way down like many commercial fish stocks. So I don't know if
they still use cod or have had to switch due to necessity. Any Brits
care to answer this one?

Thanks,

Ken

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"Ken" > wrote

> Actually, I'm a Yank, an American. There's another funny one. Why are
> people from the U.S. Americans, but people from Canada are not? Or
> Mexico? Or Brazil? Or ....

Because they aren't Americans, they are either North Americans or
South Americans.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pandora

"Ophelia" > ha scritto nel messaggio
k...

> "Pandora" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Charlene Charette" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> ink.net...

>>> Well, it could also be "they have taught me...". I teach ESL to
>>> adults; I don't envy anyone trying to learn it. I'm currently
>>> attempting to learn Italian.

>> I learnt that if you are speaking about a thing very far away in time
>> you must use past tense. If this thing is not very far you use past
>> participle (also in italian grammatic is like this). You must also
>> think this: I must explain to you that I've studied English since I
>> was 11 until I was 25 and I was very good in this subject because I
>> loved it. Now I Am 45 and I have forgotten many things. You must take
>> in account that I don't normally use English language with someone
>> other than the persons who attende this NG.
>> For this reason, not only love for cooking, I Am here

> This is a cooking group not an English Language group. We can
> understand what you say and that is all that matters! If you are stuck
> with a word, then just ask, but I don't think grammer matters a lot here.
> Don't let it put you off posting Pandora. I enjoy your recipes and your
> pictures and I don't care if you
> get some words wrong I wish I could speak Italian half as well as you
> speak English

Thank you, Ophelia, you are always a "gentle...woman" ....if it's possible
to exchange the psycological meaning of the word "gentleman"...

Cheers and thank you
Pandora

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pandora

"Ken" > ha scritto nel messaggio
ps.com...
> Pandora,
>
> Actually, I'm a Yank, an American. There's another funny one. Why are
> people from the U.S. Americans, but people from Canada are not? Or
> Mexico? Or Brazil? Or ....
>
> Traditionally, fish and chips (What Americans call French fries or
> usually just fries. Chips in the U.S. are what the Brits call crisps.)
> were traditionally made with Atlantic cod. But the cod fisheries are
> way, way down like many commercial fish stocks. So I don't know if
> they still use cod or have had to switch due to necessity. Any Brits
> care to answer this one?

Sorry, I have misunderstood!
i thought you was an English man!
Cheers
Pandora

> Thanks,
>
> Ken

Posted to rec.food.cooking
kevnbro

>Traditionally, fish and chips (What Americans call French fries or usually just fries. Chips in the U.S. are what the Brits call crisps.) were traditionally made with Atlantic cod. But the cod fisheries are way, way down like many commercial fish stocks. So I don't know if they still use cod or have had to switch due to necessity. Any Brits care to answer this one?

I'm no Brit and can't answer your question but I do know that Rock Cod
or more commonly "Dogfish" which is actually a shark (Cape Shark), is
the fish of choice for fish & chips.
I would love to get my hands on some as I loved getting a hot,
steaming newspaper wrapped pile of fish & chips drenched in malt
vinegar in the Winter when I was stationed in Newquay Cornwall.
(http://www.newquay.org.uk/)
Top it off with a pint!! Lordy! Lordy! Kev

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ken

>Sorry, I have misunderstood!
>i thought you was an English man!
>Cheers
>Pandora

Pandora,

Hey, no problem. I've been called much worse.

Since you said you want to learn English, and we're talking about
things that don't make any sense, here's another. The pronoun "you"
always takes a plural verb, even if it's being used as a singular noun.
So it's always "you were ...." I know I'm only one person, but you is
always considered plural for noun/verb agreement.

So it's, "He cooks a great ...." But it's, "You cook a great ..." even
though you're talking to only one person.

Like I said, welcome to the English language.

In my opinion, the best way to learn a language is to hear it and speak
it. In the U.S., many immigrant adults have learned English by
watching Sesame Street, a kids' TV show. You're way beyond that
point, but it's much easier to learn by hearing and speaking than by
reading postings on your monitor. I don't know where you live, but are
English TV shows available there? They would probably help you with
your English more than the computer.

Okay, now I'm curious. You've probably posted this before, but where
do you live?

Thanks,

Ken

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia

"Pandora" > wrote in message

> "Ophelia" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> k...
>>
>> "Pandora" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Charlene Charette" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>>> ink.net...

>>> I learnt that if you are speaking about a thing very far away in
>>> time
>>> you must use past tense. If this thing is not very far you use past
>>> participle (also in italian grammatic is like this). You must also
>>> think this: I must explain to you that I've studied English since I
>>> was 11 until I was 25 and I was very good in this subject because I
>>> loved it. Now I Am 45 and I have forgotten many things. You must
>>> take
>>> in account that I don't normally use English language with someone
>>> other than the persons who attende this NG.
>>> For this reason, not only love for cooking, I Am here

>> This is a cooking group not an English Language group. We can
>> understand what you say and that is all that matters! If you are
>> stuck
>> with a word, then just ask, but I don't think grammer matters a lot
>> here. Don't let it put you off posting Pandora. I enjoy your recipes
>> and your pictures and I don't care if you
>> get some words wrong I wish I could speak Italian half as well as
>> you speak English
>>

> Thank you, Ophelia, you are always a "gentle...woman" ....if it's
> possible to exchange the psycological meaning of the word
> "gentleman"...

Gentlewoman is an official word)) Thank you for your kind words

Posted to rec.food.cooking
kevnbro

>Usenet acronyms were way more fun back in the day <sigh>

<sigh> Shouldn't that be <SMAO>? Kev

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 21:13:12 +0100, "Pandora" >
wrote:

>http://images.google.com/images?q=uo...a +con+Google
>But I make them more fried and burnt! I like them like this!

Quelle disappointment.... that's just a sunnyside up egg. I was
hoping for "deviled" eggs.
http://www.ashland-city.k12.oh.us/ah...dec20/eggs.jpg

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pandora

"L, not -L" > ha scritto nel messaggio
news

> On 10-Dec-2005, "Ken" > wrote:
>
>> Actually, I'm a Yank, an American. There's another funny one. Why are
>> people from the U.S. Americans, but people from Canada are not? Or
>> Mexico? Or Brazil? Or ....

> Because our country is The United States of AMERICA

Thank you for having remember us ))))
Cheers
Pandora

> --
> To email, replace Cujo with Juno

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

"Ken" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> >Sorry, I have misunderstood!
>>i thought you was an English man!
>>Cheers
>>Pandora

> Pandora,
>
> Hey, no problem. I've been called much worse.
>
> Since you said you want to learn English, and we're talking about
> things that don't make any sense, here's another. The pronoun "you"
> always takes a plural verb, even if it's being used as a singular noun.
> So it's always "you were ...." I know I'm only one person, but you is
> always considered plural for noun/verb agreement.
>
> So it's, "He cooks a great ...." But it's, "You cook a great ..." even
> though you're talking to only one person.
>
> Like I said, welcome to the English language.
>
> In my opinion, the best way to learn a language is to hear it and speak
> it. In the U.S., many immigrant adults have learned English by
> watching Sesame Street, a kids' TV show. You're way beyond that
> point, but it's much easier to learn by hearing and speaking than by
> reading postings on your monitor. I don't know where you live, but are
> English TV shows available there? They would probably help you with
> your English more than the computer.
>
> Okay, now I'm curious. You've probably posted this before, but where
> do you live?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ken

Many of my kin, if not most, say "You was..." And then they have the nerve
to call each other hicks - in all sincerity! Yeow!!!
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

"Charlene Charette" > wrote in message
ink.net...
>>>Pandora, take this correction in the good-natured spirit you usually do.
>>>"At school, they taught me...."

>> Oh yes! No problem! I Am happy if you correct me!!!!! I Am here to learn!
>>
>>>"Have teach" is "not an option."

> Well, it could also be "they have taught me...". I teach ESL to adults; I
> don't envy anyone trying to learn it. I'm currently attempting to learn
> Italian.
>
> --Charlene

In fact, I wrote that, but deleted it -- I thought: why complicate things.
There is nothing worse than teaching the 'have' business. I was teaching a
Korean woman and she never did overcome the have's. Not my fault -- God
knows, I tried. It's the beast!
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
k...

> "Pandora" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Ophelia" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> k...

>>> This is a cooking group not an English Language group. We can
>>> understand what you say and that is all that matters! If you are stuck
>>> with a word, then just ask, but I don't think grammer matters a lot
>>> here. Don't let it put you off posting Pandora. I enjoy your recipes
>>> and your pictures and I don't care if you
>>> get some words wrong I wish I could speak Italian half as well as you
>>> speak English

Pandora,
Speaking for myself and probably others:
I don't think any of the people here care if you get words wrong. I believe
most of our hearts are in the right place regarding any of your postings.
I've not seen otherwise from anyone.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Charlene Charette

Pandora wrote:

> I learnt that if you are speaking about a thing very far away in time you
> must use past tense. If this thing is not very far you use past participle
> (also in italian grammatic is like this). You must also think this: I must
> explain to you that I've studied English since I was 11 until I was 25 and I
> was very good in this subject because I loved it. Now I Am 45 and I have
> forgotten many things. You must take in account that I don't normally use
> English language with someone other than the persons who attende this NG.
> For this reason, not only love for cooking, I Am here

I didn't intend my post as a criticism and I hope you didn't read it
that way. I teach English as a foreign language, I order books and CDs
internationally, I live in a city with a large international population,
I travel to Italy each summer -- I have no problem understanding people
whose English is not perfect. I was merely contributing to an
interesting grammar discussion. I *love* grammar -- I teach it and I
even read grammar books for fun.

Your English is very good. Even if you say (well, type) something less
than perfectly, your meaning is clear.

--Charlene

--
Euthanasia: Generally more proficient at math and science than
euthanamerica. -- Bayan, Rick; The Cynic's Dictionary, 2002

email perronnelle at earthlink . net

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pandora

"Charlene Charette" > ha scritto nel messaggio
.net...
> Pandora wrote:
>
>> I learnt that if you are speaking about a thing very far away in time
>> you must use past tense. If this thing is not very far you use past
>> participle (also in italian grammatic is like this). You must also think
>> this: I must explain to you that I've studied English since I was 11
>> until I was 25 and I was very good in this subject because I loved it.
>> Now I Am 45 and I have forgotten many things. You must take in account
>> that I don't normally use English language with someone other than the
>> persons who attende this NG.
>> For this reason, not only love for cooking, I Am here

> I didn't intend my post as a criticism and I hope you didn't read it that
> way. I teach English as a foreign language, I order books and CDs
> internationally, I live in a city with a large international population, I
> travel to Italy each summer -- I have no problem understanding people
> whose English is not perfect. I was merely contributing to an interesting
> grammar discussion. I *love* grammar -- I teach it and I even read
> grammar books for fun.
>
> Your English is very good. Even if you say (well, type) something less
> than perfectly, your meaning is clear.

Thank you very much! I love grammar, too. And I thank you if you if you are
so kind to correct me
I'm very lucky!
Cheers
Pandora

> --Charlene
>

> --
> Euthanasia: Generally more proficient at math and science than
> euthanamerica. -- Bayan, Rick; The Cynic's Dictionary, 2002
>

> email perronnelle at earthlink . net

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Julia Altshuler

Pandora wrote:

> Thank you very much! I love grammar, too. And I thank you if you if you are
> so kind to correct me
> I'm very lucky!

Whenever I've spoken to someone who was learning English as a second
language, we've come up with an agreement. I don't stop to correct
every single mistake because then we'd both lose the fun of just talking
and enjoying the conversation. But I will correct a mistake that is
embarrassing. I'll point out something that has 2 meanings, and I'll
point out something that is funny so we can both enjoy it.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pandora

"Julia Altshuler" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Pandora wrote:
>
>> Thank you very much! I love grammar, too. And I thank you if you if you
>> are so kind to correct me
>> I'm very lucky!

> Whenever I've spoken to someone who was learning English as a second
> language, we've come up with an agreement. I don't stop to correct every
> single mistake because then we'd both lose the fun of just talking and
> enjoying the conversation. But I will correct a mistake that is
> embarrassing. I'll point out something that has 2 meanings, and I'll
> point out something that is funny so we can both enjoy it.

oh! You are a very nice teacher!
Cheers
Pandy

> --Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"Bob Myers" > wrote

> now to try to change it, though. And what else would you call
> U.S. citizens conveniently? "U.S.-ians," which you occasionally
> see here, is ridiculous.

Which could be confused with people from the Estados Unidos
Mexicanos. United States of Mexico.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Myers

"Ken" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Pandora,
>
> Actually, I'm a Yank, an American. There's another funny one. Why are
> people from the U.S. Americans, but people from Canada are not? Or
> Mexico? Or Brazil? Or ....

United States of AMERICA...if the other countries had "America"
in their names, their citizens might've wound up being called
"Americans" too. It's far too well-established around the world
now to try to change it, though. And what else would you call
U.S. citizens conveniently? "U.S.-ians," which you occasionally
see here, is ridiculous.

Bob M.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Charlene Charette

Bob Myers wrote:

> "Ken" > wrote in message
> ps.com...
>
>>Pandora,
>>
>>Actually, I'm a Yank, an American. There's another funny one. Why are
>>people from the U.S. Americans, but people from Canada are not? Or
>>Mexico? Or Brazil? Or ....

> United States of AMERICA...if the other countries had "America"
> in their names, their citizens might've wound up being called
> "Americans" too. It's far too well-established around the world
> now to try to change it, though. And what else would you call
> U.S. citizens conveniently? "U.S.-ians," which you occasionally
> see here, is ridiculous.
>
> Bob M.

How about "USAer"? It follows the same logic as a member of the NBA
being called an "NBAer".

--Charlene

--
Euthanasia: Generally more proficient at math and science than
euthanamerica. -- Bayan, Rick; The Cynic's Dictionary, 2002

email perronnelle at earthlink . net
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Victor Sack

Margaret Suran > wrote:

> In Austria (Vienna) we called it Spiegelei, Mirror Egg, I do not know
> why. Perhaps because the cooked yolk was so shiny, you could almost
> see your reflection in it.

Same in Germany.

> Later on I found out that in Germany it was called Oxenaug, Eye of an
> Ox. Very similar to your Cow's Eye. ) Again, I do not know why,
> but the name did not appeal to me. (

It is a Frankonian regional expression, also used in some other parts of
Bavaria, as well as in Palatinate, but with which, I daresay, most
Germans are unfamiliar.

Bubba