Posted to rec.food.cooking
Michael

Default rubbermaid takealongs

I have some of these inexpensive plastic containers and they emit a taste
that is really-really bad.

I was wondering if anyone else had some of these if they could confirm my
findings.

Just put your tongue on the plastic.......it's horrible.

Or is it me?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 08 Dec 2005 10:07:21a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Michael?

> I have some of these inexpensive plastic containers and they emit a taste
> that is really-really bad.
>
> I was wondering if anyone else had some of these if they could confirm my
> findings.
>
> Just put your tongue on the plastic.......it's horrible.
>
> Or is it me?

Maybe so. I've never noticed it. But, then, I don't go around tasting
containers.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Kanter

"Michael" > wrote in message
>I have some of these inexpensive plastic containers and they emit a taste
>that is really-really bad.
>
> I was wondering if anyone else had some of these if they could confirm my
> findings.
>
> Just put your tongue on the plastic.......it's horrible.
>
> Or is it me?

Wash with Dawn dish liquid, using a soft sponge, not a scrubber. Rinse well,
leave slightly wet inside. Add a tablespoon or so of baking soda. Close lid,
shake. Wait a day and rinse. If they still taste/smell funny, call
Rubbermaid and tell them. They'll probably send you some coupons for other
products.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy1

Michael wrote:
> I have some of these inexpensive plastic containers and they emit a taste
> that is really-really bad.
>
> I was wondering if anyone else had some of these if they could confirm my
> findings.
>
> Just put your tongue on the plastic.......it's horrible.
>
> Or is it me?

I like the Ziploc containers, myself.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sarah bennett

Nancy1 wrote:
> Michael wrote:
>
>>I have some of these inexpensive plastic containers and they emit a taste
>>that is really-really bad.
>>
>>I was wondering if anyone else had some of these if they could confirm my
>>findings.
>>
>>Just put your tongue on the plastic.......it's horrible.
>>
>>Or is it me?

> I like the Ziploc containers, myself.
>
> N.

My SIL sent us home a ton of leftovers in ziploc containers, and i
washed them out and was going to send them back to her. Apparently she
just throws them out. I must just be old fashioned or something

--

saerah

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy1

sarah bennett wrote:
> Nancy1 wrote:
> > Michael wrote:
> >
> >>I have some of these inexpensive plastic containers and they emit a taste
> >>that is really-really bad.
> >>
> >>I was wondering if anyone else had some of these if they could confirm my
> >>findings.

> > I like the Ziploc containers, myself.
> >
> > N.
> >

> My SIL sent us home a ton of leftovers in ziploc containers, and i
> washed them out and was going to send them back to her. Apparently she
> just throws them out. I must just be old fashioned or something

Well, the idea is they don't cost so much that you can't throw or give
them away now and then. My DIL has an entire cupboard full of ones
I've given her (I wish she'd give half of them back) ... LOL. I just
keep buying more.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sarah bennett

Nancy1 wrote:
> sarah bennett wrote:
>
>>Nancy1 wrote:

>>>I like the Ziploc containers, myself.
>>>
>>>N.
>>>

>>My SIL sent us home a ton of leftovers in ziploc containers, and i
>>washed them out and was going to send them back to her. Apparently she
>>just throws them out. I must just be old fashioned or something
>>

> Well, the idea is they don't cost so much that you can't throw or give
> them away now and then. My DIL has an entire cupboard full of ones
> I've given her (I wish she'd give half of them back) ... LOL. I just
> keep buying more.
>
> N.

I don't understand the concept of buying a container that is both
reusable and disposable

--

saerah

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 08 Dec 2005 04:17:41p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it sarah
bennett?

> Nancy1 wrote:
>> sarah bennett wrote:

>>>My SIL sent us home a ton of leftovers in ziploc containers, and i
>>>washed them out and was going to send them back to her. Apparently she
>>>just throws them out. I must just be old fashioned or something
>>>

>> Well, the idea is they don't cost so much that you can't throw or give
>> them away now and then. My DIL has an entire cupboard full of ones
>> I've given her (I wish she'd give half of them back) ... LOL. I just
>> keep buying more.
>>
>> N.
>>

> I don't understand the concept of buying a container that is both
> reusable and disposable

Saerah, for many years in the US the food storage container market was
dominated by companies like Tupperware and Rubbermaid. Their products were
made from rather heavy guage plastic and could potentially hold up for
decades. Tupperware, in particular, was rather expensive. All brands were
susceptible to ugly staining from tomato products, especially if there was
also some grease in the food. Worse yet, if the containers were used to
re-heat food in the microwave, the stains deepened and overheating would
cause the plastic to degrade, bubbling and flaking.

A few years back, the ZipLoc company (I think they were the first)
introduced very lightweight containers that sold for very small prices
compared to their forerunners. They are actually quite sturdy, somewhat
less susceptable to staining, and because of the low price, expendible if
damaged. They became so popular that a couple of other name brands as well
as no-name brands also began producing them.

I find it a nice alternative to Tupperware and the like. I keep them as
long as they are servicable, but feel no guilt about tossing them when I
decide they're past their prime. In the past I was hesitant to toss a
piece of Tupperware. :-) Another nice thing about the price is that I
don't hesitate to give someone something in one of these containers and not
worry about getting it back.

See the ZipLoc brand he

http://www.ziploc.com/new_containers.html

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sarah bennett

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Thu 08 Dec 2005 04:17:41p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it sarah
> bennett?
>

>>Nancy1 wrote:

>>>Well, the idea is they don't cost so much that you can't throw or give
>>>them away now and then. My DIL has an entire cupboard full of ones
>>>I've given her (I wish she'd give half of them back) ... LOL. I just
>>>keep buying more.
>>>
>>>N.
>>>

>>I don't understand the concept of buying a container that is both
>>reusable and disposable

> Saerah, for many years in the US the food storage container market was
> dominated by companies like Tupperware and Rubbermaid. Their products were
> made from rather heavy guage plastic and could potentially hold up for
> decades. Tupperware, in particular, was rather expensive. All brands were
> susceptible to ugly staining from tomato products, especially if there was
> also some grease in the food. Worse yet, if the containers were used to
> re-heat food in the microwave, the stains deepened and overheating would
> cause the plastic to degrade, bubbling and flaking.
>
> A few years back, the ZipLoc company (I think they were the first)
> introduced very lightweight containers that sold for very small prices
> compared to their forerunners. They are actually quite sturdy, somewhat
> less susceptable to staining, and because of the low price, expendible if
> damaged. They became so popular that a couple of other name brands as well
> as no-name brands also began producing them.
>
> I find it a nice alternative to Tupperware and the like. I keep them as
> long as they are servicable, but feel no guilt about tossing them when I
> decide they're past their prime. In the past I was hesitant to toss a
> piece of Tupperware. :-) Another nice thing about the price is that I
> don't hesitate to give someone something in one of these containers and not
> worry about getting it back.
>
> See the ZipLoc brand he
>
> http://www.ziploc.com/new_containers.html

Well, yeah, I have to say I understand the concept, I guess, but I don't
understand my SIL throwing them out after using them *once*. I have a
set of cheap tuppperware knockoffs that I have lost most of the lids to
and 3 billion plastic quart container things (they sell them by the
canning supplies and every time I make stock, I end up buying a 3-pack,
because I always think I don't have enough :>).
It is rare that I have leftovers, (and when I do, its usually
casserole-y things that just get covered up and put in the fridge)but I
use the lidless containers for mise en place when I make stir fries or
when I do bulk cooking for the freezer.

--

saerah

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy1" > wrote:

>I like the Ziploc containers, myself.

how come?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 08 Dec 2005 04:39:42p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it sarah
bennett?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Thu 08 Dec 2005 04:17:41p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it sarah
>> bennett?

>>>I don't understand the concept of buying a container that is both
>>>reusable and disposable

>> Saerah, for many years in the US the food storage container market was
>> dominated by companies like Tupperware and Rubbermaid. Their products
>> were made from rather heavy guage plastic and could potentially hold up
>> for decades. Tupperware, in particular, was rather expensive. All
>> brands were susceptible to ugly staining from tomato products,
>> especially if there was also some grease in the food. Worse yet, if
>> the containers were used to re-heat food in the microwave, the stains
>> deepened and overheating would cause the plastic to degrade, bubbling
>> and flaking.
>>
>> A few years back, the ZipLoc company (I think they were the first)
>> introduced very lightweight containers that sold for very small prices
>> compared to their forerunners. They are actually quite sturdy,
>> somewhat less susceptable to staining, and because of the low price,
>> expendible if damaged. They became so popular that a couple of other
>> name brands as well as no-name brands also began producing them.
>>
>> I find it a nice alternative to Tupperware and the like. I keep them
>> as long as they are servicable, but feel no guilt about tossing them
>> when I decide they're past their prime. In the past I was hesitant to
>> toss a piece of Tupperware. :-) Another nice thing about the price is
>> that I don't hesitate to give someone something in one of these
>> containers and not worry about getting it back.
>>
>> See the ZipLoc brand he
>>
>> http://www.ziploc.com/new_containers.html
>>

> Well, yeah, I have to say I understand the concept, I guess, but I don't
> understand my SIL throwing them out after using them *once*. I have a
> set of cheap tuppperware knockoffs that I have lost most of the lids to
> and 3 billion plastic quart container things (they sell them by the
> canning supplies and every time I make stock, I end up buying a 3-pack,
> because I always think I don't have enough :>).
> It is rare that I have leftovers, (and when I do, its usually
> casserole-y things that just get covered up and put in the fridge)but I
> use the lidless containers for mise en place when I make stir fries or
> when I do bulk cooking for the freezer.

Maybe your SIL doesn't trust them for re-use or just doesn't want to wash
them.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sarah bennett

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Thu 08 Dec 2005 04:39:42p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it sarah
> bennett?
>

>>Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>>>On Thu 08 Dec 2005 04:17:41p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it sarah
>>>bennett?

>>>Saerah, for many years in the US the food storage container market was
>>>dominated by companies like Tupperware and Rubbermaid. Their products
>>>were made from rather heavy guage plastic and could potentially hold up
>>>for decades. Tupperware, in particular, was rather expensive. All
>>>brands were susceptible to ugly staining from tomato products,
>>>especially if there was also some grease in the food. Worse yet, if
>>>the containers were used to re-heat food in the microwave, the stains
>>>deepened and overheating would cause the plastic to degrade, bubbling
>>>and flaking.
>>>
>>>A few years back, the ZipLoc company (I think they were the first)
>>>introduced very lightweight containers that sold for very small prices
>>>compared to their forerunners. They are actually quite sturdy,
>>>somewhat less susceptable to staining, and because of the low price,
>>>expendible if damaged. They became so popular that a couple of other
>>>name brands as well as no-name brands also began producing them.
>>>
>>>I find it a nice alternative to Tupperware and the like. I keep them
>>>as long as they are servicable, but feel no guilt about tossing them
>>>when I decide they're past their prime. In the past I was hesitant to
>>>toss a piece of Tupperware. :-) Another nice thing about the price is
>>>that I don't hesitate to give someone something in one of these
>>>containers and not worry about getting it back.
>>>
>>>See the ZipLoc brand he
>>>
>>> http://www.ziploc.com/new_containers.html
>>>

>>Well, yeah, I have to say I understand the concept, I guess, but I don't
>>understand my SIL throwing them out after using them *once*. I have a
>>set of cheap tuppperware knockoffs that I have lost most of the lids to
>>and 3 billion plastic quart container things (they sell them by the
>>canning supplies and every time I make stock, I end up buying a 3-pack,
>>because I always think I don't have enough :>).
>>It is rare that I have leftovers, (and when I do, its usually
>>casserole-y things that just get covered up and put in the fridge)but I
>>use the lidless containers for mise en place when I make stir fries or
>>when I do bulk cooking for the freezer.

> Maybe your SIL doesn't trust them for re-use or just doesn't want to wash
> them.

methinks the latter.

--

saerah

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams
Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

Default rubbermaid takealongs SUCK!

In article >,
"Michael" > wrote:

> I have some of these inexpensive plastic containers and they emit a taste
> that is really-really bad.
>
> I was wondering if anyone else had some of these if they could confirm my
> findings.
>
> Just put your tongue on the plastic.......it's horrible.
>
> Or is it me?

No, and rubbermaid containers LEAK!

Every frickin' time.

I've thrown all mine away.

I use the disposable glad or ziplock containers now.
They are good for several uses, hold up better in the microwave and,
most important, THEY DON'T LEAK all over the inside of my bag I take to
work!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
sarah bennett > wrote:

> Nancy1 wrote:
> > sarah bennett wrote:

> >>My SIL sent us home a ton of leftovers in ziploc containers, and i
> >>washed them out and was going to send them back to her. Apparently she
> >>just throws them out. I must just be old fashioned or something
> >>

> > Well, the idea is they don't cost so much that you can't throw or give
> > them away now and then. My DIL has an entire cupboard full of ones
> > I've given her (I wish she'd give half of them back) ... LOL. I just
> > keep buying more.
> >
> > N.
> >

> I don't understand the concept of buying a container that is both
> reusable and disposable

That's the beauty of those things!
Tough enough to be re-usable, cheap enough to be disposable with one too
many adventures in the microwave. <lol>
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> Saerah, for many years in the US the food storage container market was
> dominated by companies like Tupperware and Rubbermaid. Their products were
> made from rather heavy guage plastic and could potentially hold up for
> decades. Tupperware, in particular, was rather expensive. All brands were
> susceptible to ugly staining from tomato products, especially if there was
> also some grease in the food. Worse yet, if the containers were used to
> re-heat food in the microwave, the stains deepened and overheating would
> cause the plastic to degrade, bubbling and flaking.
>
> A few years back, the ZipLoc company (I think they were the first)
> introduced very lightweight containers that sold for very small prices
> compared to their forerunners. They are actually quite sturdy, somewhat
> less susceptable to staining, and because of the low price, expendible if
> damaged. They became so popular that a couple of other name brands as well
> as no-name brands also began producing them.
>
> I find it a nice alternative to Tupperware and the like. I keep them as
> long as they are servicable, but feel no guilt about tossing them when I
> decide they're past their prime. In the past I was hesitant to toss a
> piece of Tupperware. :-) Another nice thing about the price is that I
> don't hesitate to give someone something in one of these containers and not
> worry about getting it back.
>
> See the ZipLoc brand he
>
> http://www.ziploc.com/new_containers.html

Me too. <lol>
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

>I find it a nice alternative to Tupperware and the like. I keep them as
>long as they are servicable, but feel no guilt about tossing them when I
>decide they're past their prime.

Cant they be recycled tho?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 08 Dec 2005 07:12:16p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it ?

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>>I find it a nice alternative to Tupperware and the like. I keep them as
>>long as they are servicable, but feel no guilt about tossing them when I
>>decide they're past their prime.

> Cant they be recycled tho?

It may depend on your local recycling regulations.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"<RJ>" > wrote:

>I switched to Zip-Locs some time ago.
>
>Went through the pantry and TOSSED all the odd sized
>containers and lids that had been filling up the shelves.
>
>Replaced 'em all with 3 sizes of Zip-Loc containers.
>It covers 90% of my storage needs !
>And, there are only TWO sizes of lid; Square and Round.
>
>I love 'em !

Cool!!

That's the very idea I was having.... replace
everything with a few sizes that covers everything.

Tell me.... what sizes and shapes did you settle on?