Posted to rec.food.cooking
kevnbro

Default Mexican restaurant cheese dip

We know it... and we all love it... that buttery, perfectly melted
cheese dip that's nearly impossible to duplicate at home.
Recently, I learned (and correct me if i'm wrong) that Land O' Lakes
makes a high performance melting cheese that can only be purchased by
restaurants and it is with this cheese that the irresistable cheese dip
is made.
I now believe this to be true as my butcher now carries a cheese he
labels, "melting cheese". When I asked him about it, he told me he was
only able to get it because as a deli with lunch service, he classifies
as a restaurant as well as butchershop.
I bought some and sure enough, I was able to duplicate the melt with
only milk as an additional ingredient... a few seasonings later and I
couldn't tell the difference from my dip and a Mexican restaurants.
With that said, we as a consumer should demand Land O' Lakes release
that heavenly substance for those of us who would like to put their
high performance cheese to other uses.

Seek it out! Demand it!! It's well worth it!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
hob

"kevnbro" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> We know it... and we all love it... that buttery, perfectly melted
> cheese dip that's nearly impossible to duplicate at home.
> Recently, I learned (and correct me if i'm wrong) that Land O' Lakes
> makes a high performance melting cheese that can only be purchased by
> restaurants and it is with this cheese that the irresistable cheese dip
> is made.
> I now believe this to be true as my butcher now carries a cheese he
> labels, "melting cheese". When I asked him about it, he told me he was
> only able to get it because as a deli with lunch service, he classifies
> as a restaurant as well as butchershop.
> I bought some and sure enough, I was able to duplicate the melt with
> only milk as an additional ingredient... a few seasonings later and I
> couldn't tell the difference from my dip and a Mexican restaurants.
> With that said, we as a consumer should demand Land O' Lakes release
> that heavenly substance for those of us who would like to put their
> high performance cheese to other uses.
>
> Seek it out! Demand it!! It's well worth it!

I have seen the big cans of Velveeta in the kitchens - and that is what we
used in the nacho machines.

It is indeed a high performance "melting cheese".

Perhaps that is what you seek? Look in the "big cans" section of the
supermarket :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
kevnbro

No this cheese isn't Velveeta... it's a "high performance melting
cheese" i'm almost certain is made by Land O' Lakes and not sold to the
public... yet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
kevnbro

And I forgot to mention that unlike Velveeta, it's a white cheese.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gkm

kevnbro wrote:
> No this cheese isn't Velveeta... it's a "high performance melting
> cheese" i'm almost certain is made by Land O' Lakes and not sold to the
> public... yet.

Might it a patented product (with the same fate as Basmati rice)?

Because no place in the Mexican neighborhoods of town here seem to serve
anything resembling cheese with their tortilla chips - the condiments
are house made salsa, and tangy avocado dip with a bite.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
djs0302

kevnbro wrote:
> And I forgot to mention that unlike Velveeta, it's a white cheese.

Perhaps it was Monterey Jack cheese. Here's the recipe I use.

1 pound American Cheese (Don't buy the kind where each slice is
individually
wrapped. I personally prefer Kraft Deluxe American)
8 ounces Monterey Jack cheese
12 ounces evaporated milk
3 or 4 seeded and diced pickled jalapenos
1 medium size homegrown tomato OR 2 store bought Roma tomatoes peeled
seeded
and diced
cayenne pepper to taste

Cut cheeses into cubes. Combine with evaporated milk and heat SLOWLY
either in
a microwave or on top of the stove until cheese has melted. Add in
tomatoes
and jalapenos. At this point the nacho cheese sauce probably doesn't
have much
kick to it. Let it cool for a few hours to give a chance for the
jalapenos to
do their thing. You may also want to stir it occasionally to keep
everything
from settling down to the bottom. If after a few hours the nacho sauce
isn't
hot enough for you then add in cayenne pepper. I usually add about an
eighth
teaspoon at a time until I think it's about right.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
itsjoannotjoann

djs0302 wrote:
> kevnbro wrote:
> > And I forgot to mention that unlike Velveeta, it's a white cheese.

> Perhaps it was Monterey Jack cheese. Here's the recipe I use.
>
> 1 pound American Cheese (Don't buy the kind where each slice is
> individually
> wrapped. I personally prefer Kraft Deluxe American)
> 8 ounces Monterey Jack cheese
> 12 ounces evaporated milk
> 3 or 4 seeded and diced pickled jalapenos
> 1 medium size homegrown tomato OR 2 store bought Roma tomatoes peeled
> seeded
> and diced
> cayenne pepper to taste

No, what he is talking about is a heavenly, creamy white cheese without
the addition of cayenne pepper or tomatoes or anything like that. I
can vouch that the stuff Kevnbro is talking is scrumptous. It truly is
delicious.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Terry Pulliam Burd

On 7 Dec 2005 18:29:26 -0800, "djs0302" > rummaged
among random neurons and opined:

>kevnbro wrote:
>> And I forgot to mention that unlike Velveeta, it's a white cheese.

>Perhaps it was Monterey Jack cheese. Here's the recipe I use.
>
>1 pound American Cheese (Don't buy the kind where each slice is
>individually
>wrapped. I personally prefer Kraft Deluxe American)

<snip>

If you look on the packages of American cheese, most of them say
"processed cheese food." Kraft Deluxe doesn't. It says "processed
cheese." Big difference, IMHO. AFAICS, "processed cheese food" is a
chemistry experiment.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 19:36:53 -0800, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:

>If you look on the packages of American cheese, most of them say
>"processed cheese food." Kraft Deluxe doesn't. It says "processed
>cheese." Big difference, IMHO. AFAICS, "processed cheese food" is a
>chemistry experiment.

Land O'Lakes American cheese is much better than Kraft, if it's
available where you shop. It's not refrigerated until after opening,
and is sold near the Velveeta.

Carol
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos
Posted to rec.food.cooking
djs0302

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> If you look on the packages of American cheese, most of them say
> "processed cheese food." Kraft Deluxe doesn't. It says "processed
> cheese." Big difference, IMHO. AFAICS, "processed cheese food" is a
> chemistry experiment.

Processed cheese food is food you feed to cheese. I raise a herd of
cheddar every year. This year I might try raising some mozzarella

Everything you wanted to know about processed cheese but were afraid to
ask:

http://pubs.acs.org/cen/whatstuff/stuff/7806sci2.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to send

kevnbro wrote:
> And I forgot to mention that unlike Velveeta, it's a white cheese.

You might try looking for queso fresco -- that's what it sounds like.
Absolutely wonderful stuff, good sliced straight from the fridge or melted.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L.

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 19:36:53 -0800, Terry Pulliam Burd
> > wrote:
>
> >If you look on the packages of American cheese, most of them say
> >"processed cheese food." Kraft Deluxe doesn't. It says "processed
> >cheese." Big difference, IMHO. AFAICS, "processed cheese food" is a
> >chemistry experiment.

> Land O'Lakes American cheese is much better than Kraft, if it's
> available where you shop. It's not refrigerated until after opening,
> and is sold near the Velveeta.
>
> Carol

But does it melt like Velveeta?
-L.
(Gotta have my Gooey Cheese Popcorn...)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
ensenadajim

On 7 Dec 2005 13:36:50 -0800, "kevnbro" > wrote:

> We know it... and we all love it... that buttery, perfectly melted
>cheese dip that's nearly impossible to duplicate at home.
> Recently, I learned (and correct me if i'm wrong) that Land O' Lakes
>makes a high performance melting cheese that can only be purchased by
>restaurants and it is with this cheese that the irresistable cheese dip
>is made.
> I now believe this to be true as my butcher now carries a cheese he
>labels, "melting cheese". When I asked him about it, he told me he was
>only able to get it because as a deli with lunch service, he classifies
>as a restaurant as well as butchershop.
> I bought some and sure enough, I was able to duplicate the melt with
>only milk as an additional ingredient... a few seasonings later and I
>couldn't tell the difference from my dip and a Mexican restaurants.
> With that said, we as a consumer should demand Land O' Lakes release
>that heavenly substance for those of us who would like to put their
>high performance cheese to other uses.
>
> Seek it out! Demand it!! It's well worth it!

The recipe should be Queso Fundido. Haven't searched for it, but most
Mexican markets ahould have a cheese that work for this. Sometimes
strips of green chili are added (Queso Fundido con Rajas), sometimes
mushrooms (con Champignon) or even spicy pork sausage (???).

jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking
ensenadajim

On 7 Dec 2005 13:36:50 -0800, "kevnbro" > wrote:

> We know it... and we all love it... that buttery, perfectly melted
>cheese dip that's nearly impossible to duplicate at home.

Here's a page about Mexican cheeses that may be handy for you to use:

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/mexicancheeses.htm

In my other reply, I was ctl-alt-del'ing when I was talking about the
variations of queso fundido. The sausage you can add is chorizo.

jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On 8 Dec 2005 00:16:42 -0800, "-L." > wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>>
>> Land O'Lakes American cheese is much better than Kraft, if it's
>> available where you shop. It's not refrigerated until after opening,
>> and is sold near the Velveeta.
>>
>> Carol

>But does it melt like Velveeta?

Of course not! It's real cheese! LOL!

Carol
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Spcovelady

Run to your nearest Walmart! The store where we shop (NW Florida)
recently began selling Wisconsin Farms "Restaurant Style Dipping Cheese".
The package is yellow and has the "Famous Mexican Cheese Dip Recipe" on
the front. It is a 12oz block. Just add milk & heat. They have 2 styles-
plain and w/ Jalapeno. We have tried the Jalapeno and it is the real
thing. At our store it was at the front wall, near the deli, where they
have the "gourmet" sliced cheeses and things. Good luck
Posted to rec.food.cooking
kevnbro

My wife and I have tried every manner of grocery store standards when
it comes to cheese in attempts to duplicate the dip but with little
luck until we purchased this cheese from our butchershop.
A visit to his website www.richardsmeatmarket.com has the cheese
listed as, "Land O' Lakes Extra Melt"
A google search found me reading this article:
http://www.houstonpress.com/Issues/2...ing/toque.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking
kevnbro

>Here's a page about Mexican cheeses that may be handy for you to use:

See... I think that's why it's kept such a secret. The cheese they use
in Mexican restaurants in the U.S isn't a Mexican cheese at all but an
American cheese coming out of St. Paul Minnesota.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote in message
> ensenadajim > looking for trouble wrote in
> news >
>> On 7 Dec 2005 13:36:50 -0800, "kevnbro" > wrote:
>>
>>> We know it... and we all love it... that buttery, perfectly melted
>>>cheese dip that's nearly impossible to duplicate at home.

>> Here's a page about Mexican cheeses that may be handy for you to use:
>>
>> http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/mexicancheeses.htm
>>
>> In my other reply, I was ctl-alt-del'ing when I was talking about the
>> variations of queso fundido. The sausage you can add is chorizo.
>>

>> jim
>>

> I have used Asadero and the Chihuahua cheeses in various forms in the
> past.
> Both are excellent cheeses but I've never made a dip of them.
>
> Michael <- likes munching on the Asadero

This week on PBS Rick Bayless (repeats M-F) has a semi-informative, but
good, show which includes Mexican cheeses. He showed a store, might have
been a cheese store, with all the cheeses out in view. I had no idea there
were so many Mexican cheeses. I'm sorta limited to the fresh Mexican cheese
that Costco sells. Today shopping for some serrano chilis at Walmart (I
found some!) in the dairy case I found this product:

Cacique (brand). Crema Mexicana. Grade A Table Cream (and it has the Real
Trademark icon), dated sell by 12-27-05. Serving suggestions: Pour over
Fresh Fruit, especially berries. An excellent cooking cream. Great for
creamy soups and sauces. Pour over vegetables. Delicious over tacos,
enchiladas, and flautas. Using chilled cream and bowl, whip for incredible
mousses. For rcipes visit us at www.caciqueusa.com Ingredients:
Pasteurized grade A cream and milk, guar gum and carrageenan. As I recall,
15 oz. abt. $3.50. Reading the list of their products makes me hongree.

I see Michael's Asadero on the site.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Bubbo

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

> Michael <- likes munching on the Asadero

goddammit.
you made me yell and wake the dogs.

as for mexican cheese, I love cotija crumbled on cachapas (corn pancakes)

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking
ensenadajim

On 8 Dec 2005 09:20:12 -0800, "kevnbro" > wrote:

>>Here's a page about Mexican cheeses that may be handy for you to use:

> See... I think that's why it's kept such a secret. The cheese they use
>in Mexican restaurants in the U.S isn't a Mexican cheese at all but an
>American cheese coming out of St. Paul Minnesota.

Maybe the ones you go to, but some of the ones I go to have wheels of
Cotija and a lot of other imported Mexican cheeses.

A lot or restarants do use Monterey Jack, that is for sure. California
Monterey Jack.

jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

itsjoannotjoann wrote:
> djs0302 wrote:
>> kevnbro wrote:
>>> And I forgot to mention that unlike Velveeta, it's a white cheese.

>> Perhaps it was Monterey Jack cheese. Here's the recipe I use.
>>

> No, what he is talking about is a heavenly, creamy white cheese
> without the addition of cayenne pepper or tomatoes or anything like
> that. I can vouch that the stuff Kevnbro is talking is scrumptous.
> It truly is delicious.

Indeed it is. Whenever I go to Salsa's I get an extra order of the white
cheese dip to go. They add spinach to theirs; it's delightful.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to send wrote:
> kevnbro wrote:
>> And I forgot to mention that unlike Velveeta, it's a white cheese.

> You might try looking for queso fresco -- that's what it sounds like.
> Absolutely wonderful stuff, good sliced straight from the fridge or
> melted.

I love queso fresco; I use it when I make quesadillas. Melts perfectly,
tastes great.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel

In article .com>,
"kevnbro" > wrote:

> We know it... and we all love it... that buttery, perfectly melted
> cheese dip that's nearly impossible to duplicate at home.

I'm suspicious, really suspicious. Cheese is cheese. There are a lot
of varieties, and they are really different. Still, cheese is cheese.

I did a Google, and the site said I can't access them without a
password, and I have to be a professional. Yeah, right.

A long time ago, my office partner said that everything goes better with
cream cheese. She is right, of course.

Let me guess.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jude

I buoght a package of "Mexican restuarant style melting cheese", which
said "perfect for queso dip!" on the package, becasue I had read this
thread. Wish I'd read the package a little more carefully at the
store....when i got home, I discovered it was nothing but white
anerican cheese. Made a passable dip but everyone agreed they prefer my
velveeta - cheddar-rotel queso much bettre. Want me to mail you the
other half a block? =)