Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Some food products I REALLY miss...and crave.

Burry's Gaucho cookies

Betty Crocker Noodles Almondine

Borden's Swiss (chocolate drink)

Weaver Chicken Roll

Post Oat Flakes (cereal)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mark Thorson

Prontos -- this was a corrugated rectangular chip of the same shape
as today's Sunchips. It was made from corn and wheat, with a
distinctive
corn taste mellowed by the wheat. It was very lightly salted with a
fine salt powder. It was thicker than Sunchips, and rather dry (not
much oil). My favorite chip of all time.

Minitacos -- these were thin corn chips made from discs of corn-stuff
which were folded over before frying. Excellent for dips, due to the
taco-shell-like shape.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
limey

Small Mexican pizzas, sold by Costco a number of years ago. Had a cornmeal
crust. Delicious.

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"limey" > wrote in message
> Small Mexican pizzas, sold by Costco a number of years ago. Had a
> cornmeal crust. Delicious.

I'm really afraid, and this has happened in the last 3 months or so,
that they no longer make Oregon Farms carrot cake. Major
bummer.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
S'mee

One time on Usenet, "Nancy Young" > said:
> "limey" > wrote in message

> > Small Mexican pizzas, sold by Costco a number of years ago. Had a
> > cornmeal crust. Delicious.

> I'm really afraid, and this has happened in the last 3 months or so,
> that they no longer make Oregon Farms carrot cake. Major
> bummer.

Most of mine are from the 70's, except for the first two:

Noodle Roni Romanoff (Cheddar & Sour Cream)
Raspberry Kool-Aid (I still have one pouch left)
Taco Time tamales
Plain "Chunky" bars (no raisins or nuts)
Kellogg's(?) "Toaster Danish"
"Spoon Candy" (Pudding with a choc shell)
Zots...

--
Jani in WA (S'mee)
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 16:20:26 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>I'm really afraid, and this has happened in the last 3 months or so,
>that they no longer make Oregon Farms carrot cake. Major
>bummer.

Want my carrot cake recipe? It's excellent!

Carol
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote

> On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 16:20:26 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
> wrote:
>
>>I'm really afraid, and this has happened in the last 3 months or so,
>>that they no longer make Oregon Farms carrot cake. Major
>>bummer.

> Want my carrot cake recipe? It's excellent!

Oh, thanks darlin ... I know I've seen it and printed it off. I will dig
it out and make it soon, I know it's excellent. Has pineapple, right?
This way I can make my cake with as much cream cheese frosting
as I want (smile).

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 17:08:14 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote
>
>> On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 16:20:26 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I'm really afraid, and this has happened in the last 3 months or so,
>>>that they no longer make Oregon Farms carrot cake. Major
>>>bummer.

>> Want my carrot cake recipe? It's excellent!

>Oh, thanks darlin ... I know I've seen it and printed it off. I will dig
>it out and make it soon, I know it's excellent. Has pineapple, right?

Yup, has pineapple. Good stuff, Maynard. : )

>This way I can make my cake with as much cream cheese frosting
>as I want (smile).

LOL! Yup! That's the way to do it! Enjoy!

Carol
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos

Posted to rec.food.cooking
SallyW

" > wrote in
oups.com:

> Burry's Gaucho cookies
>
> Betty Crocker Noodles Almondine
>
> Borden's Swiss (chocolate drink)
>
> Weaver Chicken Roll
>
> Post Oat Flakes (cereal)

Borden's Golden Vanilla ice cream (other "French Vanillas" are too sweet)
Sara Lee Banana Cake (they still have it in the foodservice products)
Waffies or Old London cheese waffle snacks (hard to find in our area)

SallyW
Posted to rec.food.cooking

(S'mee) wrote: >One time on Usenet, "Nancy Young" >
said: >> "limey" > wrote in message >>

>> > Small Mexican pizzas, sold by Costco a number of years ago. * Had a >> > cornmeal crust. *Delicious.

> Jello 1-2-3

That's what I was going to say! I think. Was that like a powder that
you shook up with milk or water and it turned into three separate
layers? As food it was disgusting, but as witchcraft it was pretty
darned impressive. I mean, I can understand how the texture in a food
can change from bottom to top or outside to middle, but three separate,
distinct layers is pretty freakin' weird. A Jello layer on the bottom,
a -- uh -- *creamy* layer in the middle, then an allegedly light and
fluffy layer on top. Seriously, I had chemistry teachers who couldn't
have duplicated it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Jello 1-2-3

That's what I was going to say! I think. Was that like a powder that
you shook up with milk or water and it turned into three separate
layers? As food it was disgusting, but as witchcraft it was pretty
darned impressive. I mean, I can understand how the texture in a food
can change from bottom to top or outside to middle, but three separate,
distinct layers is pretty freakin' weird. A Jello layer on the bottom,
a -- uh -- *creamy* layer in the middle, then an allegedly light and
fluffy layer on top. Seriously, I had chemistry teachers who couldn't
have duplicated it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Otter Pops - For the nostalgia factor...

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On 7 Dec 2005 15:06:07 -0800, wrote:

>(S'mee) wrote: >One time on Usenet, "Nancy Young" >
>said: >> "limey" > wrote in message >>
>
>> Jello 1-2-3

>That's what I was going to say! I think. Was that like a powder that
>you shook up with milk or water and it turned into three separate
>layers? As food it was disgusting, but as witchcraft it was pretty
>darned impressive. I mean, I can understand how the texture in a food
>can change from bottom to top or outside to middle, but three separate,
>distinct layers is pretty freakin' weird. A Jello layer on the bottom,
>a -- uh -- *creamy* layer in the middle, then an allegedly light and
>fluffy layer on top. Seriously, I had chemistry teachers who couldn't
>have duplicated it.

http://tinypic.com/ibz2at.jpg

1 2 3 Jello Recipe

Ingredients:
3/4 cup boiling water
1 package Jello, any flavor (4 serving size)
1/2 cup cold water
Ice cubes
1/2 cup thawed Cool Whip

Directions:

Pour boiling water into blender. Add Jello. Cover and blend at low
speed until Jello is completely dissolved, about 30 seconds. Combine
cold water and ice cubes to make 1 1/4 cups. Add to Jello and stir
until ice is partially melted. Then add whipped topping; blend at high
speed for 30 seconds. Pour into dessert glasses. Chill about 30
minutes. Dessert layers as it chills. Garnish as desired (lemon,
orange or strawberry wedges, etc.) Jan

Recipe URL:
http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/rec...llo46269.shtml
Recipe ID: 42

Submitted by: JANIC412 rec.food.recipes
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Charlene Charette

Boron Elgar wrote:

> Jello 1-2-3
>
> Boron

I thought I remembered a site that had how to make this yourself. I
couldn't find it quickly, but this page has links to several "how-to"
pages: http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=116252

--Charlene

--
Euthanasia: Generally more proficient at math and science than
euthanamerica. -- Bayan, Rick; The Cynic's Dictionary, 2002

email perronnelle at earthlink . net
Posted to rec.food.cooking
hob

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Burry's Gaucho cookies
>
> Betty Crocker Noodles Almondine
>
> Borden's Swiss (chocolate drink)
>
> Weaver Chicken Roll
>
> Post Oat Flakes (cereal)

Green River (lime drink)

Total oatmeal

Pickled kumquats

Maple Rich maple syrup (apparently available but not here)

Car hops in short shorts (a sign of summer and an acknowldgement of
mankind) - food for the soul

Masons root beer, the kind that had the orange taste

Mediesterpolse in links

Duchess and Whitney crab apples

Fresh vienna bread that didn't weigh four pounds a loaf

Cherry Humps candy bars

Seven-up candy bars - especially that dark chocolate orange jelly middle
piece

Hamms beer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
King's Crown

Green Corn Tamales from the frozen section of Costco ... well it was Price
Club then.

Lynne

"limey" > wrote in message
> Small Mexican pizzas, sold by Costco a number of years ago. Had a
> cornmeal crust. Delicious.
>
> Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Tara

The original Carnation Breakfast Bars. The formula changed in the
nineties, and now they are just weird. They used to be so good. My
big brother and I craved them.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking
MoM

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in
message ...
> On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 16:20:26 -0500, "Nancy Young"
> >
> wrote:
>
>>I'm really afraid, and this has happened in the last 3
>>months or so,
>>that they no longer make Oregon Farms carrot cake. Major
>>bummer.

> Want my carrot cake recipe? It's excellent!
>
> Carol
> --
>
> http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos

Mine too! but, no picture.

MoM

Posted to rec.food.cooking
MoM

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in
message ...
> On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 17:08:14 -0500, "Nancy Young"
> >
> wrote:
>
>>"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote

>>> Want my carrot cake recipe? It's excellent!

>>Oh, thanks darlin ... I know I've seen it and printed it
>>off. I will dig
>>it out and make it soon, I know it's excellent. Has
>>pineapple, right?

> Yup, has pineapple. Good stuff, Maynard. : )
>
>>This way I can make my cake with as much cream cheese
>>frosting
>>as I want (smile).

> LOL! Yup! That's the way to do it! Enjoy!
>
> Carol

Mine has pineapple too. How does it compare to yours?

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Carrot Cake

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 12
Cuisine:
Main Ingredient:

-= Ingredients =-
2 cups All-purpose flour
2 cups Sugar
2 teaspoons Ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon Baking soda
1/2 teaspoon Salt
3 Eggs
2 cups Carrots ; finely grated
1/2 cup Vegetable oil
1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
1 cup Crushed pineapple ; drained
1/2 cup Chopped nuts ; divided

-= Instructions =-

Starting with oil, add ingredients, one at a time to
processor until all is blended. Divide better evenly
between 2 8" cake pans. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Cool 10
minutes and turn out on cake racks. Cool and frost.

** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping.
**
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at:
http://www.bigoven.com **

MoM

Posted to rec.food.cooking
limey

"King's Crown" wrote in message
> Green Corn Tamales from the frozen section of Costco ... well it was Price
> Club then.
>
> Lynne
>
> "limey" > wrote in message
>> Small Mexican pizzas, sold by Costco a number of years ago. Had a
>> cornmeal crust. Delicious.
>>
>> Dora

Right! It must have been Price Club selling those Mexican pizzas. Maybe
your favorite green corn tamales came from the same company.

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jude

Jello Pudding Pops!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Roberta

The OLD marathon bar - it was really long, looked like a rope (more like
a chain maybe), was carmel covered with chocolate (YUMMM!)

I miss Faygo Rock n Rye - it's still around but only in MI as far as I
have seen. Every place I have lived has faygo but for some reason they
don't carry rock n rye...it's the best

I also miss Vernors - I can buy it here - but it's almost $6.00 a six
pack :/ I don't miss it THAT much lol

Roberta (in VA)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gabby

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Burry's Gaucho cookies
>
> Betty Crocker Noodles Almondine
>
> Borden's Swiss (chocolate drink)
>
> Weaver Chicken Roll
>
> Post Oat Flakes (cereal)

Bick's Spicy Sweet Mixed Pickles. They were the best with sandwiches.
Haven't seen a jar of those in over 10 years.

Gabby

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 07 Dec 2005 06:32:01p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Roberta?

> The OLD marathon bar - it was really long, looked like a rope (more like
> a chain maybe), was carmel covered with chocolate (YUMMM!)
>
> I miss Faygo Rock n Rye - it's still around but only in MI as far as I
> have seen. Every place I have lived has faygo but for some reason they
> don't carry rock n rye...it's the best

I could still get Rock n Rye and Vernors when I lived in NE Ohio, but we
moved to AZ I couldn't find it. I recently came across Vernors in a shop.
Can't remember the price, but it wasn't nearly as expensive as your area.

I really miss Vess Cream Soda (it was red, with a distinct flavor). I'm
not even sure it's made any longer.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jude

Jello Pudding Pops!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Glitter Ninja

"hob" > writes:

>Masons root beer, the kind that had the orange taste

That reminds me of Frosty Brand Root Beer. It had an old guy with an
ice beard as a mascot. It was really good, and dad used to buy it for
me when I was a kid. When I got older I realized that dad actually had
been buying me a root beer and leaving me in the car while he went into
a neighborhood bar...

Stacia

Posted to rec.food.cooking
PastaLover

Tara wrote:
> The original Carnation Breakfast Bars. The formula changed in the
> nineties, and now they are just weird. They used to be so good. My
> big brother and I craved them.
>
> Tara

Yes. Another kindred spirit....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "limey" > wrote in message
> > Small Mexican pizzas, sold by Costco a number of years ago. Had a
> > cornmeal crust. Delicious.

> I'm really afraid, and this has happened in the last 3 months or so,
> that they no longer make Oregon Farms carrot cake. Major
> bummer.
>
> nancy

I can't remember who bought Oregon Farms, but these are still being
made. At least here on the East Coast. I love these cakes! But now,
I don't remember the box having the pictures on the back for the
different ways to slice it up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Glitter Ninja

I used to get Betty Crocker mixes for Boston Creme Pie, and they were
great. For years they didn't have them, but they're back again, as part
of 4 or 5 "fancier" boxed desserts from Betty Crocker. That's the only
product that I've ever missed which has come back.

Stacia

Posted to rec.food.cooking
PastaLover

Roberta wrote:
> The OLD marathon bar - it was really long, looked like a rope (more like
> a chain maybe), was carmel covered with chocolate (YUMMM!)
>
> I miss Faygo Rock n Rye - it's still around but only in MI as far as I
> have seen. Every place I have lived has faygo but for some reason they
> don't carry rock n rye...it's the best

There are some places of the country where they import it. There's a
gourmet grocery chain three blocks from me that carries it. (Phoenix AZ)
There are also mail-order web shops that specialize in hard-to-find
candies and sodas. There's one called the Pop, the Soda Shop here in
Scottsdale. They ship worldwide.

http://www.popsoda.com/

> I also miss Vernors - I can buy it here - but it's almost $6.00 a six
> pack :/ I don't miss it THAT much lol
>
> Roberta (in VA)

Miss Manners on getting small guests not to waste food [email protected] General Cooking 5 22-12-2016 07:46 PM
Sometimes you just crave something. ImStillMags General Cooking 1 17-01-2014 06:43 AM
CRAVE Brooklyn1 General Cooking 1 04-03-2012 05:58 AM
Miss Manners on when to praise food - or not [email protected] General Cooking 29 16-04-2009 07:35 PM
Food Places You Miss jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 58 19-09-2008 03:42 PM