Posted to rec.food.cooking
Rich McCormack

Default Chile-Heads mailing list

Is the Chile-Heads mailing list still up and running? I've tried
several times over the last few months to re-subscribe after a two
year absence. I send my request to majordomo@globalgarden, get
a reply and then a second confirmation message to send back to
chile-heads-approval@globalgarden, send in the confirmation message
with the necessary authorization code in the body of the message but
don't receive any confirmation of my successfully subscribing and
don't begin receiving any messages posted to the list. I've tried
contacting the list owner but get no response. I don't know what
else to do. Any help or suggestions here would be much appreciated.

Rich

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Barbara

Rich McCormack wrote:

> Is the Chile-Heads mailing list still up and running? I've tried
> several times over the last few months to re-subscribe after a two
> year absence. I send my request to majordomo@globalgarden, get
> a reply and then a second confirmation message to send back to
> chile-heads-approval@globalgarden, send in the confirmation message
> with the necessary authorization code in the body of the message but
> don't receive any confirmation of my successfully subscribing and
> don't begin receiving any messages posted to the list. I've tried
> contacting the list owner but get no response. I don't know what
> else to do. Any help or suggestions here would be much appreciated.
>
> Rich

Yes, it is still up and running. As I understand it, the approval@globalgarden
e-mail address has been so overly spammed, that it is no longer functional.
I think that you have to reply to the majordomo address to get approved.

Feel free to contact me if that doesn't work.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Rich McCormack wrote:
> Is the Chile-Heads mailing list still up and running?
> Any help or suggestions here would be much appreciated.

Try

Sheldon Andes

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Shaun aRe

"Rich McCormack" > wrote in message
. com...
> Is the Chile-Heads mailing list still up and running?

Yes!

> I've tried
> several times over the last few months to re-subscribe after a two
> year absence. I send my request to majordomo@globalgarden, get
> a reply and then a second confirmation message to send back to
> chile-heads-approval@globalgarden, send in the confirmation message
> with the necessary authorization code in the body of the message but
> don't receive any confirmation of my successfully subscribing and
> don't begin receiving any messages posted to the list. I've tried
> contacting the list owner but get no response. I don't know what
> else to do. Any help or suggestions here would be much appreciated.

The majordomo addy thing is dead - death by spam, I believe.

Subscriptions should be sent to the global garden address directly from the
start.

I passed the info on to Victor Sack for his r.f.c. faq - think it's in there
if you check. Otherwise, if you still have no luck, E-mail me at this (it's
valid) address and I will trawl through my CH digests for the last
subscription info posting for you.

HTH.

Shaun aRe

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Shaun aRe

"Barbara" > wrote in message
> Rich McCormack wrote:
> >
> > Is the Chile-Heads mailing list still up and running? I've tried
> > several times over the last few months to re-subscribe after a two
> > year absence. I send my request to majordomo@globalgarden, get
> > a reply and then a second confirmation message to send back to
> > chile-heads-approval@globalgarden, send in the confirmation message
> > with the necessary authorization code in the body of the message but
> > don't receive any confirmation of my successfully subscribing and
> > don't begin receiving any messages posted to the list. I've tried
> > contacting the list owner but get no response. I don't know what
> > else to do. Any help or suggestions here would be much appreciated.
> >
> > Rich

> Yes, it is still up and running. As I understand it, the

approval@globalgarden
> e-mail address has been so overly spammed, that it is no longer

functional.
> I think that you have to reply to the majordomo address to get approved.

Nope - majordomo is the one went down, and there's new sub. instructions
now. Not got them to hand, but it *is* I'm sure, via the global garden addy.

Shaun aRe

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Rich McCormack

Shaun aRe wrote:

> "Rich McCormack" > wrote in message
> . com...
>
>>Is the Chile-Heads mailing list still up and running?

> Yes!
>

>> I've tried
>>several times over the last few months to re-subscribe after a two
>>year absence. I send my request to majordomo@globalgarden, get
>>a reply and then a second confirmation message to send back to
>>chile-heads-approval@globalgarden, send in the confirmation message
>>with the necessary authorization code in the body of the message but
>>don't receive any confirmation of my successfully subscribing and
>>don't begin receiving any messages posted to the list. I've tried
>>contacting the list owner but get no response. I don't know what
>>else to do. Any help or suggestions here would be much appreciated.

> The majordomo addy thing is dead - death by spam, I believe.
>
> Subscriptions should be sent to the global garden address directly from the
> start.
>
> I passed the info on to Victor Sack for his r.f.c. faq - think it's in there
> if you check. Otherwise, if you still have no luck, E-mail me at this (it's
> valid) address and I will trawl through my CH digests for the last
> subscription info posting for you.
>
> HTH.
>
> Shaun aRe

I've tried both addresses several times using various formats and
still haven't been able to subscribe. I've also tried to contact
the list owner without success. Any help would be appreciated.

Rich
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I don't know if this is different then what you have already tried, but
I found this in a Chile-heads-digest I had saved.

almost -- send SUBSCRIBE to chile-heads-request@globalgarden (or
chile-heads-digest-request@globalgarden for the digest).

AND, when you get the authorization back, ignore the address
directions
and send it to the same address you used (above). don't send to
majordomo,
that interface is swamped with spam and is useless.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Shaun aRe

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> I don't know if this is different then what you have already tried, but
> I found this in a Chile-heads-digest I had saved.
>
> __________________________________________________ _______
>
> almost -- send SUBSCRIBE to chile-heads-request@globalgarden (or
> chile-heads-digest-request@globalgarden for the digest).
>
> AND, when you get the authorization back, ignore the address
> directions
> and send it to the same address you used (above). don't send to
> majordomo,
> that interface is swamped with spam and is useless.

Thanks Babs - that's the one that is supposed to be correct - glad you found
it because I'd gone through 13 digests last week and couldn't!

Shaun aRe - Try contacting Mike Bowers (SP?), Rich, if you are still
struggling.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Rich McCormack

Shaun aRe wrote:
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>>I don't know if this is different then what you have already tried, but
>>I found this in a Chile-heads-digest I had saved.
>>
>>________________________________________________ _________
>>
>>almost -- send SUBSCRIBE to chile-heads-request@globalgarden (or
>>chile-heads-digest-request@globalgarden for the digest).
>>
>> AND, when you get the authorization back, ignore the address
>>directions
>> and send it to the same address you used (above). don't send to
>>majordomo,
>> that interface is swamped with spam and is useless.

> Thanks Babs - that's the one that is supposed to be correct - glad you found
> it because I'd gone through 13 digests last week and couldn't!
>
> Shaun aRe - Try contacting Mike Bowers (SP?), Rich, if you are still
> struggling.

I am still struggling. I've tried sending email to the chile-heads
list owner address but have never received a reply. I have an old
ucdavis.edu address for Michael Bowers. If all else fails I might
have to give it a try. Thinks for the help.

Rich

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Rich McCormack

Rich McCormack wrote:

> I am still struggling.

To all who helped with my C-H mailing list problem...

I'm not struggling anymore. I have finally been successful in
my attempts to re-subscribe to the C-H mailing list. Apparently,
the request@globalgarden address is the key. I sent the request
and confirmation code to that address. Nothing happened for the
rest of the day and I thought I had failed again. But, in my
inbox this morning were a "succeeded" message and a "welcome to
the list" message from majordomo@globalgarden. Good to be back,
thanks for the help.

Rich

Posted to rec.food.cooking
ensenadajim

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 13:23:37 GMT, Rich McCormack >
wrote:

>Rich McCormack wrote:
>
>> I am still struggling.

>To all who helped with my C-H mailing list problem...
>
>I'm not struggling anymore. I have finally been successful in
>my attempts to re-subscribe to the C-H mailing list. Apparently,
>the request@globalgarden address is the key. I sent the request
>and confirmation code to that address. Nothing happened for the
>rest of the day and I thought I had failed again. But, in my
>inbox this morning were a "succeeded" message and a "welcome to
>the list" message from majordomo@globalgarden. Good to be back,
>thanks for the help.
>
>Rich

Would you please summarize the process for us?

jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Shaun aRe

"Rich McCormack" > wrote in message
om...

> Rich McCormack wrote:
>
> > I am still struggling.

> To all who helped with my C-H mailing list problem...
>
> I'm not struggling anymore. I have finally been successful in
> my attempts to re-subscribe to the C-H mailing list. Apparently,
> the request@globalgarden address is the key. I sent the request
> and confirmation code to that address. Nothing happened for the
> rest of the day and I thought I had failed again. But, in my
> inbox this morning were a "succeeded" message and a "welcome to
> the list" message from majordomo@globalgarden. Good to be back,
> thanks for the help.
>
> Rich

Brilliant! Happy it worked out for you. See you there no doubt.

Shaun aRe

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Rich McCormack

ensenadajim wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 13:23:37 GMT, Rich McCormack >
> wrote:
>

>>Rich McCormack wrote:
>>

>>>I am still struggling.

>>To all who helped with my C-H mailing list problem...
>>
>>I'm not struggling anymore. I have finally been successful in
>>my attempts to re-subscribe to the C-H mailing list. Apparently,
>>the request@globalgarden address is the key. I sent the request
>>and confirmation code to that address. Nothing happened for the
>>rest of the day and I thought I had failed again. But, in my
>>inbox this morning were a "succeeded" message and a "welcome to
>>the list" message from majordomo@globalgarden. Good to be back,
>>thanks for the help.
>>
>>Rich

> Would you please summarize the process for us?
>

> jim

After sending in your subscription request, you should receive
a message with an authorization code. Ignore the address in the
message and send the authorization code back to the same address
to which you sent your request.

Rich

Posted to rec.food.cooking
ensenadajim

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 13:42:00 GMT, Rich McCormack >
wrote:

>ensenadajim wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 13:23:37 GMT, Rich McCormack >
>> wrote:

>>>To all who helped with my C-H mailing list problem...
>>>
>>>I'm not struggling anymore. I have finally been successful in
>>>my attempts to re-subscribe to the C-H mailing list. Apparently,
>>>the request@globalgarden address is the key. I sent the request
>>>and confirmation code to that address. Nothing happened for the
>>>rest of the day and I thought I had failed again. But, in my
>>>inbox this morning were a "succeeded" message and a "welcome to
>>>the list" message from majordomo@globalgarden. Good to be back,
>>>thanks for the help.
>>>
>>>Rich

>> Would you please summarize the process for us?
>>

>> jim
>>

>After sending in your subscription request, you should receive
>a message with an authorization code. Ignore the address in the
>message and send the authorization code back to the same address
>to which you sent your request.

Okay, now, once again, from the beginning. No one reading this note
will; know what the start of the process was.

Assume the reader has heard of the group and wants to subscribe and
start with the first step:

1.

jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Rich McCormack

ensenadajim wrote:

> Assume the reader has heard of the group and wants to subscribe and
> start with the first step:

Send a mailing list subscription request with "subscribe" in the
body of the message to the chile-heads-request@globalgarden address.
A confirmation follow-up message will be sent with an authorization
code in the body of the message. DO NOT send the authorization code
back to the majordomo address as requested, send it in the body of
a message to the same c-h-request address used for the original
subscription request.

Be patient, success is not immediate...and, if you fail at first, keep
trying. I sent back the auth code around midday and did not receive a
"succeeded" message until the next morning. I suspect there might be
some monitoring of list subscription requests, though I can't imagine
the list owner himself stays that "on top" of things...I don't know.
All I know is that after a couple of years and many requests, I was
finally successful.

Rich

Posted to rec.food.cooking
ensenadajim

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 00:46:55 GMT, Rich McCormack >
wrote:

>ensenadajim wrote:
>
>> Assume the reader has heard of the group and wants to subscribe and
>> start with the first step:

>Send a mailing list subscription request with "subscribe" in the
>body of the message to the chile-heads-request@globalgarden address.
>A confirmation follow-up message will be sent with an authorization
>code in the body of the message. DO NOT send the authorization code
>back to the majordomo address as requested, send it in the body of
>a message to the same c-h-request address used for the original
>subscription request.
>
>Be patient, success is not immediate...and, if you fail at first, keep
>trying. I sent back the auth code around midday and did not receive a
>"succeeded" message until the next morning. I suspect there might be
>some monitoring of list subscription requests, though I can't imagine
>the list owner himself stays that "on top" of things...I don't know.
>All I know is that after a couple of years and many requests, I was
>finally successful.
>
>Rich

Thanks,

jim