Posted to rec.food.cooking
Me

Default Cheese sauce

My mac-n-cheese is too gritty. What do I do?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
King's Crown

Too much cheese.... seems like the more cheese the better, but in a cheese
sauce it will make it granular and/or gritty like.

Lynne

"Me" > wrote in message
> My mac-n-cheese is too gritty. What do I do?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Moriarty

"Me" > wrote in message
> My mac-n-cheese is too gritty. What do I do?

What kind of cheese do you use? A dry, sharp cheddar is more likely to
do this. Blending it with something with more moisture will help (mild
cheddar, jack...).

Also, you want the heat to be gentle, slowly melting the cheese.

-T

Posted to rec.food.cooking
PastaLover

Me wrote:
> My mac-n-cheese is too gritty. What do I do?

We need more details to answer that question....

How are yout making your m&c? what are the ingredients and the method?
without these details, it's meaninglesss for anyone to respond.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Me wrote:
> My mac-n-cheese is too gritty. What do I do?

I make a white sauce with butter, salt, pepper and milk until smooth and
thickened then slowly stir in shredded mild cheddar or a combination of
cheddar and colby until the cheese sauce is smooth. Stir it into the cooked
macaroni and proceed as usual. Works for me.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 03 Dec 2005 07:56:38p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jmcquown?

> Me wrote:
>> My mac-n-cheese is too gritty. What do I do?

> I make a white sauce with butter, salt, pepper and milk until smooth and
> thickened then slowly stir in shredded mild cheddar or a combination of
> cheddar and colby until the cheese sauce is smooth. Stir it into the
> cooked macaroni and proceed as usual. Works for me.
>
> Jill

I like the same sort of sauce over vegetables, too.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Sat 03 Dec 2005 07:56:38p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jmcquown?
>
> > Me wrote:
> >> My mac-n-cheese is too gritty. What do I do?

> > I make a white sauce with butter, salt, pepper and milk until smooth and
> > thickened then slowly stir in shredded mild cheddar or a combination of
> > cheddar and colby until the cheese sauce is smooth. Stir it into the
> > cooked macaroni and proceed as usual. Works for me.
> >
> > Jill

> I like the same sort of sauce over vegetables, too.
>
> --

Me too! Broccoli with cheese sauce is a regular staple at my house. :~)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

kilikini wrote:
> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> On Sat 03 Dec 2005 07:56:38p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
>> jmcquown?

>>> I make a white sauce with butter, salt, pepper and milk until
>>> smooth and thickened then slowly stir in shredded mild cheddar or a
>>> combination of cheddar and colby until the cheese sauce is smooth.
>>> Stir it into the cooked macaroni and proceed as usual. Works for
>>> me.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I like the same sort of sauce over vegetables, too.
>>
>> --

> Me too! Broccoli with cheese sauce is a regular staple at my house.
> :~)
>
> kili

And cauliflower...and while I prefer a hollandaise over steamed asparagus,
sometimes.... but hell, I can't afford asparagus these days! and I buy
frozen cauliflower, too. LOL The sauce is good, though!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sat 03 Dec 2005 07:56:38p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
> jmcquown?
>
>> Me wrote:
>>> My mac-n-cheese is too gritty. What do I do?

>> I make a white sauce with butter, salt, pepper and milk until smooth
>> and thickened then slowly stir in shredded mild cheddar or a
>> combination of cheddar and colby until the cheese sauce is smooth.
>> Stir it into the cooked macaroni and proceed as usual. Works for me.
>>
>> Jill

> I like the same sort of sauce over vegetables, too.

I made mac & cheese the other night. Did what I said above, stirred the
sauce in with the cooked macaroni in a baking dish. I added some sliced
"lil' smokies" sausage and put seasoned breadcrumbs and grated Parm on top.
Popped it in the oven and baked it for about 25 minutes. YUM and YUM.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 04 Dec 2005 05:29:44a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jmcquown?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Sat 03 Dec 2005 07:56:38p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
>> jmcquown?

>>> I make a white sauce with butter, salt, pepper and milk until smooth
>>> and thickened then slowly stir in shredded mild cheddar or a
>>> combination of cheddar and colby until the cheese sauce is smooth.
>>> Stir it into the cooked macaroni and proceed as usual. Works for me.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I like the same sort of sauce over vegetables, too.

> I made mac & cheese the other night. Did what I said above, stirred the
> sauce in with the cooked macaroni in a baking dish. I added some sliced
> "lil' smokies" sausage and put seasoned breadcrumbs and grated Parm on
> top. Popped it in the oven and baked it for about 25 minutes. YUM and
> YUM.
>
> Jill

Ummm... More comfort food. Sounds delicious!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Terry Pulliam Burd

"My" mac and cheese recipe, a family fave and comfort food:

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Macaroni and Cheese

pasta

2 large eggs
1 12 oz. evaporated milk
1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
2 teaspoons Salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon dry mustard; dissolved in 1 teaspoon w
1/2 pounds elbow macaroni
4 tablespoons Butter
12 ounces sharp cheddar

Mix eggs, 1 cup evaporated milk, Tabasco, 1/2 te. salt, pepper and
mustard mixture in small bwl. Set aside.

Meanwhile, bring 2 quarts water to a boil in a large pot. Add
remainint 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and macaroni; cook until al dente. Dran
and return to pot over low heat. Add buitter, toss to melt.

Pour egg mixture over buttered noodles along with 3/4 of the cheese;
stir until combined and cheese starts to melt. Gradually add remaining
milk and cheese, stirring constantly, until mixture is hot and creamy,
about 5 mins. Serve at once.

Contributor: The Best Recipe

Yield: 6 Servings

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

Posted to rec.food.cooking
A.C.

Me wrote:

> My mac-n-cheese is too gritty. What do I do?

sounds like too much heat and the cheese is breaking. reduce the heat and melt
the cheese gently. that may help.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy1

Me wrote:
> Yes, I stir the roux and it was full-fat cheese. Next time I'll stir and
> cook the roux longer, use extra-sharp and, maybe, get the cheese to room
> temp before I add it.

I have great success making a semi-thick white sauce (flour, butter,
milk) and then adding the cheese which essentially is what you are
doing. I add the milk cold - no need to warm it; stir constantly while
it is thickening. Then I add grated Sharp Cheddar, regular variety.
I've never had gritty or separated cheese sauce. I use this same sauce
to pour over broccoli and cauliflower, too. Top any of these with
buttered soft bread crumbs before baking. Yum.

N.