Posted to rec.food.cooking
Myraide

Default this is a really good bundt cake *BLONDE RUSSIAN*

ok, granted i am not a very good cook. that is why i like reading this
newsgroup. usually anything i try to bake, like pie crust or something
complicated, gets fed to the outside critters or the garbage can.

but......i still try!

this is a recipe my friend gave me and it is her mom's recipe and it is
something that turns out great whenever i make it. guess you could call
it foolproof!

i googled this ng to see if anyone had posted this recipe before and
couldn't find it, so here is something new (hopefully)....and
easy....and yummy!

one package white cake mix
one package butterscotch instant pudding
four eggs
three quarters cup of water
one cup of oil
one quarter cup of vodka
one quarter cup of kahlua

mix with blender for four minutes on medium speed.

use a greased and floured bundt pan, and bake for fifty minutes at
three fifty degrees.

remove from pan after thirty minutes of cooling.

use about a half a cup of powdered sugar and enough kahlua to make a
glase, and drizzle over cooled cake.

i like it best with starbucks coffee ice cream! myraide

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger

Myraide wrote:

> ok, granted i am not a very good cook. that is why i like reading this
> newsgroup. usually anything i try to bake, like pie crust or something
> complicated, gets fed to the outside critters or the garbage can.
>
> but......i still try!
>
> this is a recipe my friend gave me and it is her mom's recipe and it is
> something that turns out great whenever i make it. guess you could call
> it foolproof!
>
> i googled this ng to see if anyone had posted this recipe before and
> couldn't find it, so here is something new (hopefully)....and
> easy....and yummy!
>
> one package white cake mix
> one package butterscotch instant pudding
> four eggs
> three quarters cup of water
> one cup of oil
> one quarter cup of vodka
> one quarter cup of kahlua
>
> mix with blender for four minutes on medium speed.
>
> use a greased and floured bundt pan, and bake for fifty minutes at
> three fifty degrees.
>
> remove from pan after thirty minutes of cooling.
>
> use about a half a cup of powdered sugar and enough kahlua to make a
> glase, and drizzle over cooled cake.
>
> i like it best with starbucks coffee ice cream! myraide

I'm willing to try this, but there's no way I'm going to mix it for four
minutes in a blender. Might be a semantic issue, though: Myraide, when you
say "blender" do you mean something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=284507

Or did you mean something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=284507

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
King's Crown

I would say they meant "mixer." Recipe sounds good. The Black Russian cake
is too chocolaty for me. *ducking to avoid chocolate bar boomeranged at me
from chocolate lover*

Lynne

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> Myraide wrote:
>
>> ok, granted i am not a very good cook. that is why i like reading this
>> newsgroup. usually anything i try to bake, like pie crust or something
>> complicated, gets fed to the outside critters or the garbage can.
>>
>> but......i still try!
>>
>> this is a recipe my friend gave me and it is her mom's recipe and it is
>> something that turns out great whenever i make it. guess you could call
>> it foolproof!
>>
>> i googled this ng to see if anyone had posted this recipe before and
>> couldn't find it, so here is something new (hopefully)....and
>> easy....and yummy!
>>
>> one package white cake mix
>> one package butterscotch instant pudding
>> four eggs
>> three quarters cup of water
>> one cup of oil
>> one quarter cup of vodka
>> one quarter cup of kahlua
>>
>> mix with blender for four minutes on medium speed.
>>
>> use a greased and floured bundt pan, and bake for fifty minutes at
>> three fifty degrees.
>>
>> remove from pan after thirty minutes of cooling.
>>
>> use about a half a cup of powdered sugar and enough kahlua to make a
>> glase, and drizzle over cooled cake.
>>
>> i like it best with starbucks coffee ice cream! myraide

> I'm willing to try this, but there's no way I'm going to mix it for four
> minutes in a blender. Might be a semantic issue, though: Myraide, when
> you say "blender" do you mean something like this:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=284507
>

> Or did you mean something like this:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=284507
>

> Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Leila

Myraide wrote:
> ok, granted i am not a very good cook. that is why i like reading this
> newsgroup. u

> one package white cake mix
> one package butterscotch instant pudding

etc.

Somebody just brought a Black Russian cake to a potluck. My husband
raved about it, but with one bite I knew it was a mix. I can taste the
mix. I say, what's the point? It's not hard to make basic poundcake &
tart it up with flavors.

But to each his own.

Leila

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Myraide

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Myraide wrote:
>
> > ok, granted i am not a very good cook. that is why i like reading this
> > newsgroup. usually anything i try to bake, like pie crust or something
> > complicated, gets fed to the outside critters or the garbage can.
> >
> > but......i still try!
> >
> > this is a recipe my friend gave me and it is her mom's recipe and it is
> > something that turns out great whenever i make it. guess you could call
> > it foolproof!
> >
> > i googled this ng to see if anyone had posted this recipe before and
> > couldn't find it, so here is something new (hopefully)....and
> > easy....and yummy!
> >
> > one package white cake mix
> > one package butterscotch instant pudding
> > four eggs
> > three quarters cup of water
> > one cup of oil
> > one quarter cup of vodka
> > one quarter cup of kahlua
> >
> > mix with blender for four minutes on medium speed.
> >
> > use a greased and floured bundt pan, and bake for fifty minutes at
> > three fifty degrees.
> >
> > remove from pan after thirty minutes of cooling.
> >
> > use about a half a cup of powdered sugar and enough kahlua to make a
> > glase, and drizzle over cooled cake.
> >
> > i like it best with starbucks coffee ice cream! myraide

> I'm willing to try this, but there's no way I'm going to mix it for four
> minutes in a blender. Might be a semantic issue, though: Myraide, when you
> say "blender" do you mean something like this:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=284507
>

> Or did you mean something like this:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=284507

oh....of course i meant this! i just have an electric hand mixer. i
should have said *blend with mixer*.....!
i was looking at this and thinking, is one cup a lot of oil for a cake?
myraide

> Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Chris

"Leila" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Myraide wrote:
>> ok, granted i am not a very good cook. that is why i like reading this
>> newsgroup. u

>> one package white cake mix
>> one package butterscotch instant pudding

> etc.
>
> Somebody just brought a Black Russian cake to a potluck. My husband
> raved about it, but with one bite I knew it was a mix. I can taste the
> mix. I say, what's the point? It's not hard to make basic poundcake &
> tart it up with flavors.
>
> But to each his own.

Exactly. There may be no point in *you* making a mix cake if you can taste
the mix. But some people like cake mixes. Personally, I prefer a cake made
from a good mix to a homemade pound cake. I dislike poundcake.

Below are two recipes that I am going to make for a birthday party next
Saturday. I've made the apple walnut cake several times, and it's simple
and tasty. Haven't tried the chocolate cake yet, but it looks good.

Chris

Apple Walnut Cake from Bon Appetit, 1996
2 cups diced peeled tart green apples (such as Granny Smith; about 1 1/2
large)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted, cooled
1 large egg
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter and flour 8x8x2-inch baking pan. Mix diced
apples, sugar, butter and egg in large bowl to blend. Sift flour, cinnamon,
baking soda and salt over. Add chopped walnuts; mix thoroughly. Transfer
mixture to prepared pan.
Bake until cake is brown and crusty on top and tester inserted into center
comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool cake in pan on rack.

Serves 12.

FUDGY CHOCOLATE LAYER CAKE WITH COFFEE-CHOCOLATE FROSTING

Cake
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups cake flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped

1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup sour cream, room temperature
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Frosting
1 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
16 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

For cake:
Preheat oven to 325°F. Butter and flour two 9-inch round cake pans with
2-inch-high sides. Whisk first 4 ingredients in large bowl to blend. Bring 1
cup water to simmer in heavy small saucepan. Remove from heat. Add 2
tablespoons espresso powder; stir to dissolve. Add chocolate; whisk until
chocolate is melted and smooth. Cool slightly.

In another large bowl, whisk vegetable oil, sour cream, eggs and vanilla to
blend. Add chocolate mixture and whisk to blend well. Add 1/3 of
chocolate-sour cream mixture to dry ingredients and whisk to blend. Add
remaining chocolate-sour cream mixture in 2 more additions, whisking well
after each addition. Divide batter equally between prepared pans. Gently tap
each filled pan atop counter to burst any air pockets.

Bake cakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 40
minutes. Let cool 5 minutes. Run knife around sides of cakes and turn out
onto rack. Cool completely.

For frosting:
Bring first 6 ingredients to simmer in heavy large saucepan over medium
heat, stirring until butter melts. Remove from heat. Add chocolate and whisk
until melted and smooth. Whisk in vanilla. Pour frosting into large bowl;
cool until thick enough to spread, stirring occasionally, about 3 hours.

Place 1 cake layer on plate. Spread 1/3 of frosting over cake. Top with
second layer; spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. Allow
cake to stand 2 hours before serving. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover
and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before serving.)

Makes 12 servings.
Bon Appétit
R.S.V.P.
October 2001
Watershed, Decatur, GA

Posted to rec.food.cooking
zxcvbob

Default Apple Wlanut Cake (was: this is a really good bundt cake *BLONDERUSSIAN*

Chris wrote:

> Apple Walnut Cake from Bon Appetit, 1996
> 2 cups diced peeled tart green apples (such as Granny Smith; about 1 1/2
> large)
> 1 cup sugar
> 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted, cooled
> 1 large egg
> 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
> 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
> 1 teaspoon baking soda
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
>
> Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter and flour 8x8x2-inch baking pan. Mix diced
> apples, sugar, butter and egg in large bowl to blend. Sift flour, cinnamon,
> baking soda and salt over. Add chopped walnuts; mix thoroughly. Transfer
> mixture to prepared pan.
> Bake until cake is brown and crusty on top and tester inserted into center
> comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool cake in pan on rack.
>
> Serves 12.

I wonder why it specifies green apples when they are peeled anyway.
Wouldn't a tart red apple work just as well? (I don't like the way
Granny Smiths bake; they get too mushy and don't have a lot of flavor)

I also take issue with the "serves 12". I think it would serve 4 to 6.
;-) But I'm saving the recipe and may bake one this afternoon. Thanks
for posting it.

Best regards,
Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Charlotte L. Blackmer

In article .com>,
Myraide > wrote:

>ok, granted i am not a very good cook. that is why i like reading this
>newsgroup. usually anything i try to bake, like pie crust or something
>complicated, gets fed to the outside critters or the garbage can.
>
>but......i still try!
>
>this is a recipe my friend gave me and it is her mom's recipe and it is
>something that turns out great whenever i make it. guess you could call
>it foolproof!
>
>i googled this ng to see if anyone had posted this recipe before and
>couldn't find it, so here is something new (hopefully)....and
>easy....and yummy!
>
>one package white cake mix
>one package butterscotch instant pudding
>four eggs
>three quarters cup of water
>one cup of oil
>one quarter cup of vodka
>one quarter cup of kahlua

I have a more-general question about this sort of recipe.

I am eyeballing a recipe I saw in "Being Dead is No Excuse" for Vodka
Cake, which seems somewhat similar to this. (It might actually be the
"Black Russian" cake renamed, now that I think about it.)

It calls for a package of cake mix (Duncan Hines butter, which as anyone
who has made Barb's Rhubarb Cream Cake, is pretty good for a mix) and two
packages of pudding.

But it doesn't say instant or cook-and-serve.

If I make the recipe, should I use instant?

Charlotte
http://loveandcooking.blogspot.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Chris

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Chris wrote:
>>
>> Apple Walnut Cake from Bon Appetit, 1996
>> 2 cups diced peeled tart green apples (such as Granny Smith; about 1 1/2
>> large)
>> 1 cup sugar
>> 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted, cooled
>> 1 large egg
>> 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
>> 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
>> 1 teaspoon baking soda
>> 1/2 teaspoon salt
>> 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
>>
>> Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter and flour 8x8x2-inch baking pan. Mix diced
>> apples, sugar, butter and egg in large bowl to blend. Sift flour,
>> cinnamon, baking soda and salt over. Add chopped walnuts; mix thoroughly.
>> Transfer mixture to prepared pan.
>> Bake until cake is brown and crusty on top and tester inserted into
>> center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool cake in pan on rack.
>>
>> Serves 12.
>>

> I wonder why it specifies green apples when they are peeled anyway.
> Wouldn't a tart red apple work just as well? (I don't like the way Granny
> Smiths bake; they get too mushy and don't have a lot of flavor)
>
> I also take issue with the "serves 12". I think it would serve 4 to 6.
> ;-) But I'm saving the recipe and may bake one this afternoon. Thanks
> for posting it.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

Yeah, I never use Granny Smiths with this, just whatever I've got. And
you're right, it's more like 6-8, not 12.

Pistachio Nut Bundt Cake lindatn Recipes (moderated) 0 15-11-2005 02:23 PM
Rum Bundt Cake [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 26-08-2005 05:54 AM
glazing a bundt cake stgagnon Baking 5 24-05-2005 07:24 PM
glazing a bundt cake Vox Humana Baking 1 24-05-2005 03:35 AM
Chocolate Bundt Cake (?) BRS Baking 5 27-11-2003 02:20 AM