Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ben

Default Chicken turned green

We bought a fresh free range chicken from our usual butcher. We roasted it
and carved enough for our meal. We later carved the rest and found that meat
from the shoulder area was green. The bone cavity under that part was also
green, it did not smell any different. We put the carcass and the green meat
in a box in the fridge until we could show it to the butcher. His
explanation was "Air". He said that if air gets into the area between the
bone and the meat that it can turn green. Has anyone come across this
phenomena.
Ben

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

Ben wrote:
> We bought a fresh free range chicken from our usual butcher. We roasted it
> and carved enough for our meal. We later carved the rest and found that meat
> from the shoulder area was green. The bone cavity under that part was also
> green, it did not smell any different. We put the carcass and the green meat
> in a box in the fridge until we could show it to the butcher. His
> explanation was "Air". He said that if air gets into the area between the
> bone and the meat that it can turn green. Has anyone come across this
> phenomena.
> Ben

Sounds unlikely to me. Never heard that the place "between the bone
and the meat" had any special properties. I hope he refunded your
money. You say you found this when carving the rest after having your
meal. How much later? -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking
RobtE

Ben wrote:
> We bought a fresh free range chicken from our usual butcher. We roasted it
> and carved enough for our meal. We later carved the rest and found that meat
> from the shoulder area was green. The bone cavity under that part was also
> green, it did not smell any different. We put the carcass and the green meat
> in a box in the fridge until we could show it to the butcher. His
> explanation was "Air". He said that if air gets into the area between the
> bone and the meat that it can turn green. Has anyone come across this
> phenomena.
> Ben

Somebody here asked a v. similar question a year or so ago. So, yes,
someone somewhere has had a similar experience, though from memory it
was unusual when last asked about. If you google on past messages you
might find something.

RobtE
Posted to rec.food.cooking
S'mee

One time on Usenet, "Ben" > said:

> We bought a fresh free range chicken from our usual butcher. We roasted it
> and carved enough for our meal. We later carved the rest and found that meat
> from the shoulder area was green. The bone cavity under that part was also
> green, it did not smell any different. We put the carcass and the green meat
> in a box in the fridge until we could show it to the butcher. His
> explanation was "Air". He said that if air gets into the area between the
> bone and the meat that it can turn green. Has anyone come across this
> phenomena.

Someone had this same problem last summer:

http://tinyurl.com/8ln7q

OR

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.food.
cooking/browse_frm/thread/f5c19453e443d25b/

HTH!

--
Jani in WA (S'mee)
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Kanter

"S'mee" > wrote in message
> One time on Usenet, "Ben" > said:
>
>> We bought a fresh free range chicken from our usual butcher. We roasted
>> it
>> and carved enough for our meal. We later carved the rest and found that
>> meat
>> from the shoulder area was green. The bone cavity under that part was
>> also
>> green, it did not smell any different. We put the carcass and the green
>> meat
>> in a box in the fridge until we could show it to the butcher. His
>> explanation was "Air". He said that if air gets into the area between the
>> bone and the meat that it can turn green. Has anyone come across this
>> phenomena.

> Someone had this same problem last summer:

I see that the victim of that incident e-mailed Purdue. There seems to be a
trend away from picking up the telephone these days, but that's what he
should have done.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ben

"aem" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Ben wrote:
>> We bought a fresh free range chicken from our usual butcher. We roasted
>> it
>> and carved enough for our meal. We later carved the rest and found that
>> meat
>> from the shoulder area was green. The bone cavity under that part was
>> also
>> green, it did not smell any different. We put the carcass and the green
>> meat
>> in a box in the fridge until we could show it to the butcher. His
>> explanation was "Air". He said that if air gets into the area between the
>> bone and the meat that it can turn green. Has anyone come across this
>> phenomena.
>> Ben

> Sounds unlikely to me. Never heard that the place "between the bone
> and the meat" had any special properties. I hope he refunded your
> money. You say you found this when carving the rest after having your
> meal. How much later? -aem

We found it about an hour later. We fed the green bits and the carcase to a
flock of sea gulls that were sitting on a grassy area. Strange when I passed
the place this week they took to the air and followed us swooping around.
Were they complaining or askin' for more.
Ben.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ben

"S'mee" > wrote in message
> One time on Usenet, "Ben" > said:
>
>> We bought a fresh free range chicken from our usual butcher. We roasted
>> it
>> and carved enough for our meal. We later carved the rest and found that
>> meat
>> from the shoulder area was green. The bone cavity under that part was
>> also
>> green, it did not smell any different. We put the carcass and the green
>> meat
>> in a box in the fridge until we could show it to the butcher. His
>> explanation was "Air". He said that if air gets into the area between the
>> bone and the meat that it can turn green. Has anyone come across this
>> phenomena.

> Someone had this same problem last summer:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/8ln7q
>
> OR
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.food.
> cooking/browse_frm/thread/f5c19453e443d25b/
>
> HTH!

Yes, that sounds like our chicken. I had been difficult to persuade my wife
to buy chicken:-) now she is sticking to rabbit.
Ben.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

Ben wrote:
> [snip] ... difficult to persuade my wife
> to buy chicken:-) now she is sticking to rabbit.
> Ben.

If my stupid markets would carry rabbit, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
They used to; don't know what happened to it. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article .com>,
"aem" > wrote:

> Ben wrote:
> > [snip] ... difficult to persuade my wife
> > to buy chicken:-) now she is sticking to rabbit.
> > Ben.

> If my stupid markets would carry rabbit, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
> They used to; don't know what happened to it. -aem

Ditto here!
I love rabbit!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
modom

On 2 Dec 2005 11:34:22 -0800, "aem" > wrote:

>Ben wrote:
>> We bought a fresh free range chicken from our usual butcher. We roasted it
>> and carved enough for our meal. We later carved the rest and found that meat
>> from the shoulder area was green. The bone cavity under that part was also
>> green, it did not smell any different. We put the carcass and the green meat
>> in a box in the fridge until we could show it to the butcher. His
>> explanation was "Air". He said that if air gets into the area between the
>> bone and the meat that it can turn green. Has anyone come across this
>> phenomena.
>> Ben

>Sounds unlikely to me. Never heard that the place "between the bone
>and the meat" had any special properties. I hope he refunded your
>money. You say you found this when carving the rest after having your
>meal. How much later? -aem

What kinda sandwiches ya got?

I got green ones and I got brown ones.

What's the green ones?

Either very new cheese or very old meat.

I'll take a brown one.

modom

Posted to rec.food.cooking
pennyaline

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> "aem" > wrote:
>> Ben wrote:
>>> [snip] ... difficult to persuade my wife
>>> to buy chicken:-) now she is sticking to rabbit.
>>> Ben.

>> If my stupid markets would carry rabbit, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
>> They used to; don't know what happened to it. -aem
>>

> Ditto here!
> I love rabbit!

I remember finding supermarket rabbit in Wegman's when I lived in the
Finger Lakes Region. They carried it in the frozen foods, Kosher foods
section. I found it in Brockport, Greece, Rochester and Brighton
Weggie's stores. No fresh rabbits to be found anywhere, however.

Couldn't say if Wegman's in that area still carries it or not.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
MoM

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article
> .com>,
> "aem" > wrote:
>
>> Ben wrote:
>> > [snip] ... difficult to persuade my wife
>> > to buy chicken:-) now she is sticking to rabbit.
>> > Ben.

>> If my stupid markets would carry rabbit, I'd buy it in a
>> heartbeat.
>> They used to; don't know what happened to it. -aem
>>

> Ditto here!
> I love rabbit!
> --
> Om.

Not me! I find it stringy. I even raised rabbits as a test
of our skills if "something" drastic ever happened and we
had to provide our own food source. That may have
contributed to my lack of desire to eat them

MoM

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

aem wrote:
> Ben wrote:
>> [snip] ... difficult to persuade my wife
>> to buy chicken:-) now she is sticking to rabbit.
>> Ben.

> If my stupid markets would carry rabbit, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
> They used to; don't know what happened to it. -aem

I used to be able to find Pell-Freeze (I think that's the brand) frozen cut
up rabbit. Haven't seen it in years. I guess a lot of people can't stomach
the idea but it really is delicious (and yes, it taste like - or better
than - chicken!)

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave S