FoodBanter.com

-   -   Bacon Wrapped Pork Tenderloin (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/75419-bacon-wrapped-pork-tenderloin.html)

levelwave 30-11-2005 11:41 PM

Bacon Wrapped Pork Tenderloin

Any of you guys ever cooked a pork tenderloin wrapped in Bacon? What
I'm after is a tenderloin that is completely wrapped in crisp bacon, so
when cut into medallions, each medallion has a ring of bacon around it.
I'm afraid if I just pop it in the oven, it will take too long to get
the bacon crisp and risk overcooking the tenderloin. I'm toying around
with different methods and here's what I've come up with...

1. Sear tenderloin on all sides, remove from heat, wrap in bacon, place
back in pan until bacon begins to crisp up a bit, then pop it in the
oven

2. Skip searing tenderloin, wrap in bacon, then sear, then pop in oven

3. Skip the fry pan altogether and just cook the whole damned thing in
the oven

#2 sounds like it may work best, but I'm afraid that without first
searing the tenderloin, i'll wind up with nasty gray looking pork
underneath the bacon... plus the seared surface tastes good.

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions?

~john

Dave Smith 30-11-2005 11:47 PM

levelwave wrote:

> Any of you guys ever cooked a pork tenderloin wrapped in Bacon? What
> I'm after is a tenderloin that is completely wrapped in crisp bacon, so
> when cut into medallions, each medallion has a ring of bacon around it.
> I'm afraid if I just pop it in the oven, it will take too long to get
> the bacon crisp and risk overcooking the tenderloin. I'm toying around
> with different methods and here's what I've come up with...
>
> 1. Sear tenderloin on all sides, remove from heat, wrap in bacon, place
> back in pan until bacon begins to crisp up a bit, then pop it in the
> oven
>
> 2. Skip searing tenderloin, wrap in bacon, then sear, then pop in oven
>
> 3. Skip the fry pan altogether and just cook the whole damned thing in
> the oven
>
> #2 sounds like it may work best, but I'm afraid that without first
> searing the tenderloin, i'll wind up with nasty gray looking pork
> underneath the bacon... plus the seared surface tastes good.
>
> Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions?

My wife frequently cooks a stuffed pork tenderloin and lays bacon on the
top. The stuffed tenderloin cooks in 45 minutes and the bacon is nice and
crisp. I don't think the stuffing adds any cooking time, so it would
probably work. You might want to put it on a rack so that the bacon crisps
all the way around.

The Bubbo 01-12-2005 12:35 AM

levelwave wrote:
> Any of you guys ever cooked a pork tenderloin wrapped in Bacon? What
> I'm after is a tenderloin that is completely wrapped in crisp bacon, so
> when cut into medallions, each medallion has a ring of bacon around it.
> I'm afraid if I just pop it in the oven, it will take too long to get
> the bacon crisp and risk overcooking the tenderloin. I'm toying around
> with different methods and here's what I've come up with...
>
> 1. Sear tenderloin on all sides, remove from heat, wrap in bacon, place
> back in pan until bacon begins to crisp up a bit, then pop it in the
> oven
>
> 2. Skip searing tenderloin, wrap in bacon, then sear, then pop in oven
>
> 3. Skip the fry pan altogether and just cook the whole damned thing in
> the oven
>
> #2 sounds like it may work best, but I'm afraid that without first
> searing the tenderloin, i'll wind up with nasty gray looking pork
> underneath the bacon... plus the seared surface tastes good.
>
> Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions?
>
> ~john

When i have made it in the past I have wrapped the tenderloin in bacon, seared
that and popped it in the oven and that has wrked for me. I never noticed any
grey pork under the bacon, but I wasn't looking for it, either ;)

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com

~patches~ 01-12-2005 02:26 AM

levelwave wrote:

> Any of you guys ever cooked a pork tenderloin wrapped in Bacon? What
> I'm after is a tenderloin that is completely wrapped in crisp bacon, so
> when cut into medallions, each medallion has a ring of bacon around it.
> I'm afraid if I just pop it in the oven, it will take too long to get
> the bacon crisp and risk overcooking the tenderloin. I'm toying around
> with different methods and here's what I've come up with...
>
> 1. Sear tenderloin on all sides, remove from heat, wrap in bacon, place
> back in pan until bacon begins to crisp up a bit, then pop it in the
> oven
>
> 2. Skip searing tenderloin, wrap in bacon, then sear, then pop in oven
>
> 3. Skip the fry pan altogether and just cook the whole damned thing in
> the oven
>
> #2 sounds like it may work best, but I'm afraid that without first
> searing the tenderloin, i'll wind up with nasty gray looking pork
> underneath the bacon... plus the seared surface tastes good.
>
> Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions?
>
> ~john

What I would do - cut the pork tenderloin into medallions, wrap with
bacon & secure with toothpick, then bbq like turkey medallions or fillet
mignon. Next to bbq, I would broil them. We like pork tenderloin
simply roasted with no bacon.

#2 sounds like it may work best, but I'm afraid that without first
searing the tenderloin, i'll wind up with nasty gray looking pork
underneath the bacon... plus the seared surface tastes good.

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions?

~john

It really depends on what temperature you're roasting at. With a high enough roasting temp you can recreate the exact same effect as a pre-sear (#2).

This is a tricky dish. The bacon requires some intense heat to crisp up but with that kind of heat, the lean tenderloin can overcook pretty easily on you. I'd go with #3 with a very high heat (500 degrees) and a probe thermometer to tell you when the tenderloin is done. It's going to have some pretty heavy duty carryover cooking at that oven temp, so I'd take it out 10-15 degrees before the temp you want.

This is really a job for a deep fryer :) If I were making this, I'd pound the tenderloin completely flat, lay a thin layer of bacon on it, roll it, slice it into individual portions, dreg in flour and deep fry. With a cut of meat as lean as tenderloin, that's the only way to go.

levelwave 01-12-2005 05:51 AM

Bacon Wrapped Pork Tenderloin

I chose to forgo 'searing' and just decided to stuff the tenderloin
with cornbread dressing, wrap in bacon and pop in the oven @ 350 for 1
hour and 15 minutes... turned out un-freakin-belieable. Simply cut both
tenderloins length-wise to open flat... season both sides with lots of
salt, pepper and oregano, stuff one open tenderloin with dressing
forming dressing into a round mold with your hands, then lay the other
tenderloin on top and tie with butchers yarn. Then just wrap in bacon
using toothpics to secure.

Here's the final result

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56...e/CIMG2434.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56...e/CIMG2441.jpg

~john

Pandora 01-12-2005 07:19 AM

Bacon Wrapped Pork Tenderloin

Ohhh! Nice! What have you put inside. It seams to me like"Cima alla
genovese" or "Tasca ripiena", filled with eggs, peas, ham, etc...
How did you do to fill the meat? Did you cut it inside, or have you rolled
the meat around ? But tenderloin is a round piece, so I don't understand.
TIA for the answer.
Pandora

ups.com...

LittleGreyPoodle 01-12-2005 09:18 AM

~patches~ wrote:

> What I would do - cut the pork tenderloin into medallions, wrap with
> bacon & secure with toothpick, then bbq like turkey medallions or fillet
> mignon. Next to bbq, I would broil them. We like pork tenderloin
> simply roasted with no bacon.

Sounds like you mean "grill" not "bbq". Bar-b-que is long slow cooking
at a low temp, quite different than grilling.

biig 01-12-2005 03:54 PM

levelwave wrote:

> I chose to forgo 'searing' and just decided to stuff the tenderloin
> with cornbread dressing, wrap in bacon and pop in the oven @ 350 for 1
> hour and 15 minutes... turned out un-freakin-belieable. Simply cut both
> tenderloins length-wise to open flat... season both sides with lots of
> salt, pepper and oregano, stuff one open tenderloin with dressing
> forming dressing into a round mold with your hands, then lay the other
> tenderloin on top and tie with butchers yarn. Then just wrap in bacon
> using toothpics to secure.
>
> Here's the final result
>
> http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56...e/CIMG2434.jpg
>
> http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56...e/CIMG2441.jpg
>
> ~john

It looks fantastic. I'll serve that next time we have company. Is
that just bread stuffing inside? Thanks...Sharon

~patches~ 01-12-2005 03:57 PM

levelwave wrote:

> I chose to forgo 'searing' and just decided to stuff the tenderloin
> with cornbread dressing, wrap in bacon and pop in the oven @ 350 for 1
> hour and 15 minutes... turned out un-freakin-belieable. Simply cut both
> tenderloins length-wise to open flat... season both sides with lots of
> salt, pepper and oregano, stuff one open tenderloin with dressing
> forming dressing into a round mold with your hands, then lay the other
> tenderloin on top and tie with butchers yarn. Then just wrap in bacon
> using toothpics to secure.
>
> Here's the final result
>
> http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56...e/CIMG2434.jpg
>
> http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a56...e/CIMG2441.jpg
>
> ~john

Looks very nice John.

~patches~ 01-12-2005 04:20 PM

LittleGreyPoodle wrote:

> ~patches~ wrote:
>

>> What I would do - cut the pork tenderloin into medallions, wrap with
>> bacon & secure with toothpick, then bbq like turkey medallions or
>> fillet mignon. Next to bbq, I would broil them. We like pork
>> tenderloin simply roasted with no bacon.

> Sounds like you mean "grill" not "bbq". Bar-b-que is long slow cooking
> at a low temp, quite different than grilling.

I know there is an issue between the use of grill and bbq since I read
the bbq ng, however, anything cooked on the outdoor bbq, so named by its
manufacturers, is referred to as bbq here so that's the terminology I
use <shrug> If I use the indoor grill - at the moment I have two soon
to be one - I call that grilling because it never gives the results of
the outdoor bbq. To each their own.