Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pandora

Default Sand potatoes [Sweet potatoes]

Today I have received a present from a very kind person of this NG that I
thank very much: some big sweet potatoes. Here is the pic (even though you
know them!):
http://tinypic.com/i1flae.jpg
It's the first time I have seen them! They are orange coloured inside!!!!
And taste is like a pumpkin!!!! I wonder if it is possible to make also
Gnocchi with them!
They tell me that they were sweet, so I wanted to find a no sweet recipe.
So I have thought to cook them in a strange way: in a way that I like very
much and with which I cook my white potatoes.
I liked them! Here the photo:
http://tinypic.com/i1fkw9.jpg
The name of the recipe is "Sand Potatoes", here is:

*SAND POTATOES*

Category: potatoes
Nb persons: 6

1,200k potatoes
150g bacon
1/2 cup breadcrumb
3tsp tyme - fresh or dried
1/2 cup olive oil
salt
pepper

Peel potatoes and cut them in cubes (not too smal:about 1/2 inch).
Cut bacon in little cubes, then fry them few minutes in a saucepan (the same
that you will put in the oven) with the oil. Put potatoes in the saucepan
with bacon and mix; put salt, pepper and thyme and mix again very well.
Cover potatoes with breadcrumb and put in the oven at 200°C for about 20
minutes.
Mix after the first 10 minutes of cooking. Put other salt if need. they are
ready when breadcrumbs become brown but not burnt!

Nutritional facts per serving (daily value):
Calories 274kcal
Protein 3g (6%)
Total Fat 29g (45%)
Sat. 6g (31%)
Chol. 17mg (6%)
Carb. 0g (0%)
Fiber 0g (0%)
Sugars 0g
Calcium 2mg (0%)
Iron 0mg (1%)

----------

Exported from Shop'NCook 3.1 (http://www.shopncook.com)

Cheers Pandora

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jake

I am very happy you got such wonderful present. You deserve to
experience sweet potatoes!

I like them served with something savory, so I imagine the bacon in your
recipe would work very well. Plus, you will still be able to taste the
flavor of your potatoes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 29 Nov 2005 02:48:27p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Pandora?

> Today I have received a present from a very kind person of this NG that
> I thank very much: some big sweet potatoes. Here is the pic (even though
> you know them!):
> http://tinypic.com/i1flae.jpg

That's usually the type that I use, and they look really good. That was
awfully kind of whoever sent them to you.

> It's the first time I have seen them! They are orange coloured
> inside!!!! And taste is like a pumpkin!!!! I wonder if it is possible to
> make also Gnocchi with them!

Yes, you can use them in making Gnocchi. I have eaten some sweeet potato
Gnocchi in a restaurant and they were delicious.

> They tell me that they were sweet, so I wanted to find a no sweet
> recipe.

You might want to try one of your sweet potatoes just simply baked. You
will realize the true flavor and degree of sweetness. If you decide to, I
suggest coating the skin with a small amount of butter or oil, baking in a
350 degree F. oven for approximately 1-1/2 hours. Long baking causes the
natural sugars in the potato to caramelize. The skin will become rather
darker, and the potatoes will begin to ooze a bit of syrup. Split in half
while hot and add a glob of butter. This is my favorite way of eating
them.

> So I have thought to cook them in a strange way: in a way that I
> like very much and with which I cook my white potatoes.
> I liked them! Here the photo:
> http://tinypic.com/i1fkw9.jpg
> The name of the recipe is "Sand Potatoes", here is:
>

> *SAND POTATOES*

I think your recipe sounds delicious. I shall try it myself with white
potatoes. I'm sure it would also be good with the sweet potatoes as well.
I would still suggest trying one simply baked first.

Enjoy!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mamma Mia

nice in curries too

"Pandora" > wrote in message
> Today I have received a present from a very kind person of this NG that I
> thank very much: some big sweet potatoes. Here is the pic (even though you
> know them!):
> http://tinypic.com/i1flae.jpg
> It's the first time I have seen them! They are orange coloured inside!!!!
> And taste is like a pumpkin!!!! I wonder if it is possible to make also
> Gnocchi with them!
> They tell me that they were sweet, so I wanted to find a no sweet recipe.
> So I have thought to cook them in a strange way: in a way that I like very
> much and with which I cook my white potatoes.
> I liked them! Here the photo:
> http://tinypic.com/i1fkw9.jpg
> The name of the recipe is "Sand Potatoes", here is:
>

> *SAND POTATOES*
>
> Category: potatoes
> Nb persons: 6
>
> 1,200k potatoes
> 150g bacon
> 1/2 cup breadcrumb
> 3tsp tyme - fresh or dried
> 1/2 cup olive oil
> salt
> pepper
>
> Peel potatoes and cut them in cubes (not too smal:about 1/2 inch).
> Cut bacon in little cubes, then fry them few minutes in a saucepan (the
> same that you will put in the oven) with the oil. Put potatoes in the
> saucepan with bacon and mix; put salt, pepper and thyme and mix again very
> well. Cover potatoes with breadcrumb and put in the oven at 200°C for
> about 20 minutes.
> Mix after the first 10 minutes of cooking. Put other salt if need. they
> are ready when breadcrumbs become brown but not burnt!
>

> Nutritional facts per serving (daily value):
> Calories 274kcal
> Protein 3g (6%)
> Total Fat 29g (45%)
> Sat. 6g (31%)
> Chol. 17mg (6%)
> Carb. 0g (0%)
> Fiber 0g (0%)
> Sugars 0g
> Calcium 2mg (0%)
> Iron 0mg (1%)
>
> ----------
>
> Exported from Shop'NCook 3.1 (http://www.shopncook.com)
>
> Cheers Pandora

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pandora

"jake" > ha scritto nel messaggio
. nl...
>I am very happy you got such wonderful present. You deserve to experience
>sweet potatoes!
>
> I like them served with something savory, so I imagine the bacon in your
> recipe would work very well. Plus, you will still be able to taste the
> flavor of your potatoes.

Yes! I think that savory it's wonderful inside! Now, I want to try to put
the remained potato in a pot with water, so in May I can plant it.
i have red that this kind of potatoes can't grow in an argillaceus soil like
mine. But I want to try!
Cheers
Pandora

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pandora

"Wayne Boatwright" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Tue 29 Nov 2005 02:48:27p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Pandora?
>
>> Today I have received a present from a very kind person of this NG that
>> I thank very much: some big sweet potatoes. Here is the pic (even though
>> you know them!):
>> http://tinypic.com/i1flae.jpg

> That's usually the type that I use, and they look really good. That was
> awfully kind of whoever sent them to you.

Yes! Indeed!

>> It's the first time I have seen them! They are orange coloured
>> inside!!!! And taste is like a pumpkin!!!! I wonder if it is possible to
>> make also Gnocchi with them!

> Yes, you can use them in making Gnocchi. I have eaten some sweeet potato
> Gnocchi in a restaurant and they were delicious.

In that case I would season them with gorgonzola and walnuts cream: I think
it could work well!
And yours "sweet gnocchi"? How were they seasoned?

>> They tell me that they were sweet, so I wanted to find a no sweet
>> recipe.

> You might want to try one of your sweet potatoes just simply baked. You
> will realize the true flavor and degree of sweetness. If you decide to, I
> suggest coating the skin with a small amount of butter or oil, baking in a
> 350 degree F. oven for approximately 1-1/2 hours. Long baking causes the
> natural sugars in the potato to caramelize. The skin will become rather
> darker, and the potatoes will begin to ooze a bit of syrup. Split in half
> while hot and add a glob of butter. This is my favorite way of eating
> them.

Ohhhh! It's a wonderful way to cook them! Do you wrap potatoes in
alluminium?

>> So I have thought to cook them in a strange way: in a way that I
>> like very much and with which I cook my white potatoes.
>> I liked them! Here the photo:
>> http://tinypic.com/i1fkw9.jpg
>> The name of the recipe is "Sand Potatoes", here is:
>>

>> *SAND POTATOES*

> I think your recipe sounds delicious. I shall try it myself with white
> potatoes. I'm sure it would also be good with the sweet potatoes as well.
> I would still suggest trying one simply baked first.

I will try next autumn, if I Am able to plant them
Now, it's sufficient I have tasted them! Because I didn't know what taste
they had ))

> Enjoy!

Thank you, Wayne!!!!
Cheers
Pandora

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pandora

"Mamma Mia" > ha scritto nel messaggio
u...
> nice in curries too

Pan

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 30 Nov 2005 12:32:53a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Pandora?

> "Wayne Boatwright" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> On Tue 29 Nov 2005 02:48:27p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
>> Pandora?
>>
>>> Today I have received a present from a very kind person of this NG
>>> that I thank very much: some big sweet potatoes. Here is the pic (even
>>> though you know them!):
>>> http://tinypic.com/i1flae.jpg

>> That's usually the type that I use, and they look really good. That
>> was awfully kind of whoever sent them to you.

> Yes! Indeed!
>>
>>> It's the first time I have seen them! They are orange coloured
>>> inside!!!! And taste is like a pumpkin!!!! I wonder if it is possible
>>> to make also Gnocchi with them!

>> Yes, you can use them in making Gnocchi. I have eaten some sweeet
>> potato Gnocchi in a restaurant and they were delicious.

> In that case I would season them with gorgonzola and walnuts cream: I
> think it could work well!
> And yours "sweet gnocchi"? How were they seasoned?

It was also a creamy sauce, but with Asiago and Parmesan cheese, and no
nuts. I like the idea of the walnuts!

>>> They tell me that they were sweet, so I wanted to find a no sweet
>>> recipe.

>> You might want to try one of your sweet potatoes just simply baked.
>> You will realize the true flavor and degree of sweetness. If you
>> decide to, I suggest coating the skin with a small amount of butter or
>> oil, baking in a 350 degree F. oven for approximately 1-1/2 hours.
>> Long baking causes the natural sugars in the potato to caramelize. The
>> skin will become rather darker, and the potatoes will begin to ooze a
>> bit of syrup. Split in half while hot and add a glob of butter. This
>> is my favorite way of eating them.

> Ohhhh! It's a wonderful way to cook them! Do you wrap potatoes in
> alluminium?

No, I never wrap them. That would make them cook in their own steam
instead of being dry-roasted.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pandora

"Wayne Boatwright" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> On Wed 30 Nov 2005 12:32:53a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Pandora?
>

>> "Wayne Boatwright" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>>> On Tue 29 Nov 2005 02:48:27p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
>>> Pandora?

>>> That's usually the type that I use, and they look really good. That
>>> was awfully kind of whoever sent them to you.

>> Yes! Indeed!

>>> Yes, you can use them in making Gnocchi. I have eaten some sweeet
>>> potato Gnocchi in a restaurant and they were delicious.

>> In that case I would season them with gorgonzola and walnuts cream: I
>> think it could work well!
>> And yours "sweet gnocchi"? How were they seasoned?

> It was also a creamy sauce, but with Asiago and Parmesan cheese, and no
> nuts. I like the idea of the walnuts!

yes. Here in Italy often use gorgonzola with walnut to season Pasta or
Gnocchi!

>>> You might want to try one of your sweet potatoes just simply baked.
>>> You will realize the true flavor and degree of sweetness. If you
>>> decide to, I suggest coating the skin with a small amount of butter or
>>> oil, baking in a 350 degree F. oven for approximately 1-1/2 hours.
>>> Long baking causes the natural sugars in the potato to caramelize. The
>>> skin will become rather darker, and the potatoes will begin to ooze a
>>> bit of syrup. Split in half while hot and add a glob of butter. This
>>> is my favorite way of eating them.

>> Ohhhh! It's a wonderful way to cook them! Do you wrap potatoes in
>> alluminium?

> No, I never wrap them. That would make them cook in their own steam
> instead of being dry-roasted.

Ahh! OK. Sometimes, when Italians light fireplace, they wrap potatoes with
alluminium paper and then put them under ash; but I know also that some
people put potatoes under ash withaut paper!!!
[CUT]
Cheers
Pandora

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 30 Nov 2005 06:06:14a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Pandora?

> "Wayne Boatwright" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> On Wed 30 Nov 2005 12:32:53a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
>> Pandora?

>>> Yes! Indeed!

>>> In that case I would season them with gorgonzola and walnuts cream: I
>>> think it could work well!
>>> And yours "sweet gnocchi"? How were they seasoned?

>> It was also a creamy sauce, but with Asiago and Parmesan cheese, and no
>> nuts. I like the idea of the walnuts!

> yes. Here in Italy often use gorgonzola with walnut to season Pasta or
> Gnocchi!

>>> Ohhhh! It's a wonderful way to cook them! Do you wrap potatoes in
>>> alluminium?

>> No, I never wrap them. That would make them cook in their own steam
>> instead of being dry-roasted.

> Ahh! OK. Sometimes, when Italians light fireplace, they wrap potatoes
> with alluminium paper and then put them under ash; but I know also that
> some people put potatoes under ash withaut paper!!!
> [CUT]

My granmother used to roast sweet potatoes like that. We don't usually
have fires like that now, so the potatoes are baked in the kitchen oven.

When my grandmother would roast them, my mother (who would be 92 now) would
sometimes take a roasted sweet potato with her to school for lunch. They
lived far out in the country.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pandora wrote:
>> Ahh! OK. Sometimes, when Italians light fireplace, they wrap potatoes
>> with alluminium paper and then put them under ash; but I know also that
>> some people put potatoes under ash withaut paper!!!
>> [CUT]

> My granmother used to roast sweet potatoes like that. We don't usually
> have fires like that now, so the potatoes are baked in the kitchen oven.

Yes, of course!

> When my grandmother would roast them, my mother (who would be 92 now)
> would
> sometimes take a roasted sweet potato with her to school for lunch. They
> lived far out in the country.

Ah! yes! Also here in Italy! When there was war there wasn't so much food!
Cheers
pandora

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Isaac Wingfield

In article >,
"Pandora" > wrote:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> > On Tue 29 Nov 2005 02:48:27p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Pandora?

-- snip --

> > You might want to try one of your sweet potatoes just simply baked. You
> > will realize the true flavor and degree of sweetness. If you decide to, I
> > suggest coating the skin with a small amount of butter or oil, baking in a
> > 350 degree F. oven for approximately 1-1/2 hours. Long baking causes the
> > natural sugars in the potato to caramelize. The skin will become rather
> > darker, and the potatoes will begin to ooze a bit of syrup. Split in half
> > while hot and add a glob of butter. This is my favorite way of eating
> > them.

> Ohhhh! It's a wonderful way to cook them! Do you wrap potatoes in
> alluminium?

No aluminum, and also don't use the microwave. As Wayne(?) said, it
takes a long, slow cooking to develop the sweetness properly.
Undercooking leaves them "uninteresting" in flavor. Overcooking is hard
to do, in my experience.

If you bake some, bake a couple more than you'll eat. Let the rest cool
and stand overnight. Next day, peel and slice about 1/4"/5 mm and sizzle
slowly in butter until nicely brown on both sides. Oh, and, put some
kind of pan on the shelf under them while you bake them. The juice that
seeps out will burn to carbon in the oven, and be very difficult to
clean up. Use the aluminum foil to line that pan.

And, although we sometimes call them "yams" in the US, they actually are
a variety of potato.

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pandora

"Isaac Wingfield" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> In article >,
> "Pandora" > wrote:
>
>> "Wayne Boatwright" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> > On Tue 29 Nov 2005 02:48:27p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
>> > Pandora?

> -- snip --
>
>> > You might want to try one of your sweet potatoes just simply baked.
>> > You
>> > will realize the true flavor and degree of sweetness. If you decide
>> > to, I
>> > suggest coating the skin with a small amount of butter or oil, baking
>> > in a
>> > 350 degree F. oven for approximately 1-1/2 hours. Long baking causes
>> > the
>> > natural sugars in the potato to caramelize. The skin will become
>> > rather
>> > darker, and the potatoes will begin to ooze a bit of syrup. Split in
>> > half
>> > while hot and add a glob of butter. This is my favorite way of eating
>> > them.

>> Ohhhh! It's a wonderful way to cook them! Do you wrap potatoes in
>> alluminium?

> No aluminum, and also don't use the microwave. As Wayne(?) said, it
> takes a long, slow cooking to develop the sweetness properly.
> Undercooking leaves them "uninteresting" in flavor. Overcooking is hard
> to do, in my experience.

Ah! OK!

> If you bake some, bake a couple more than you'll eat. Let the rest cool
> and stand overnight. Next day, peel and slice about 1/4"/5 mm and sizzle
> slowly in butter until nicely brown on both sides. Oh, and, put some
> kind of pan on the shelf under them while you bake them. The juice that
> seeps out will burn to carbon in the oven, and be very difficult to
> clean up. Use the aluminum foil to line that pan.

Ohh! Thank you for these preciouse advices

> And, although we sometimes call them "yams" in the US, they actually are
> a variety of potato.

But I have seen that yams are sweeter than sweet potatoes, aren't they?
Cheers and thank you
Pandora

> Isaac

Sweet potatoes George Shirley General Cooking 6 27-11-2009 05:25 PM
Red Sweet Potatoes Zeppo[_2_] General Cooking 6 13-11-2009 03:13 AM
Sweet Potatoes Brit General Cooking 110 07-12-2005 11:54 AM
Sweet Potatoes Katerina Recipes 0 28-11-2004 09:58 PM
sweet potatoes katie Vegan 8 14-03-2004 07:16 AM