FoodBanter.com

-   -   What did you forget? (Food wise) (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/75015-what-did-you-forget.html)

Nexis 25-11-2005 01:07 AM

What did you forget? (Food wise)

I was reading through a few posts while waiting to carve the bird, and saw a
few people mention forgetting something they intended to have (I think the
one that got me thinking was devilled eggs, because I also forgot them!)
Did you forget anything?

kimberly

Terri Williams 25-11-2005 05:11 AM

What did you forget? (Food wise)

I spent the afternoon watching the turkey at my Mom's (she was cooking the
other turkey elsewhere). My contribution was green bean casserole. I mixed
it up and had it all ready to pop in the oven when the turkey came out. I
didn't really have to do anything else except hang out and check for smoke
(LOL). Well, the guests arrived, we served the food, and halfway through the
meal I remembered my cassreole, still safe in the fridge! One of the ladies
cooking popped it in the oven, and my pride was saved!

Terri

Chris 25-11-2005 05:24 AM

"Terri Williams" > wrote in message
>I spent the afternoon watching the turkey at my Mom's (she was cooking the
> other turkey elsewhere). My contribution was green bean casserole. I mixed
> it up and had it all ready to pop in the oven when the turkey came out. I
> didn't really have to do anything else except hang out and check for smoke
> (LOL). Well, the guests arrived, we served the food, and halfway through
> the
> meal I remembered my cassreole, still safe in the fridge! One of the
> ladies
> cooking popped it in the oven, and my pride was saved!

Terri, I have done that so many times. :-) Glad you remembered!

Chris

Wayne Boatwright 25-11-2005 05:32 AM

What did you forget? (Food wise)

On Thu 24 Nov 2005 05:07:37p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nexis?

> I was reading through a few posts while waiting to carve the bird, and
> saw a few people mention forgetting something they intended to have (I
> think the one that got me thinking was devilled eggs, because I also
> forgot them!) Did you forget anything?

Every holiday meal seems to have at least one forgotten item. I had
forgotten to make the devilled eggs, but was reminded in time to make a
platter full. This year, apart from that, I amazingly remembered every
single thing. That will probably never happen again. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Tony P. 25-11-2005 05:57 AM

What did you forget? (Food wise)

In article >, terribear62
@rochester.rr.com says...
> I spent the afternoon watching the turkey at my Mom's (she was cooking the
> other turkey elsewhere). My contribution was green bean casserole. I mixed
> it up and had it all ready to pop in the oven when the turkey came out. I
> didn't really have to do anything else except hang out and check for smoke
> (LOL). Well, the guests arrived, we served the food, and halfway through the
> meal I remembered my cassreole, still safe in the fridge! One of the ladies
> cooking popped it in the oven, and my pride was saved!

Since we're on the subject of forgetting things, I love AB's recipe for
Broccoil Casserole.

But I forgot the mayonnaise this year. It isn't bad without it.

[email protected] 25-11-2005 07:26 AM

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 16:07:37 -0800, "Nexis" > wrote:

>I was reading through a few posts while waiting to carve the bird, and saw a
>few people mention forgetting something they intended to have (I think the
>one that got me thinking was devilled eggs, because I also forgot them!)
>Did you forget anything?
>

>kimberly

I forgot my mind, does that count?

sf 25-11-2005 09:03 AM

What did you forget? (Food wise)

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 16:07:37 -0800, Nexis wrote:

> I was reading through a few posts while waiting to carve the bird, and saw a
> few people mention forgetting something they intended to have (I think the
> one that got me thinking was devilled eggs, because I also forgot them!)
> Did you forget anything?

I stuffed my bird and put the rest in the refrigerator.... I not only
forgot about it, I knew I've forgotten something and did notice it
when I looked in the refrigerator.very sad, really!

The good news is that I "found" it in the refrogerator before it was
too late and we did had it for dinner.

-L. 25-11-2005 09:05 AM

Nexis wrote:
> I was reading through a few posts while waiting to carve the bird, and saw a
> few people mention forgetting something they intended to have (I think the
> one that got me thinking was devilled eggs, because I also forgot them!)
> Did you forget anything?
>

> kimberly

For the first time, NO! My bird came out perfect, dressing a bit
overdone, but that was ok - everything else was marvelous. :) Even
remembered the olive tray. :) As someone said "The food was delectable
and the company was delightful!"
-L.

Phyllis Stone 25-11-2005 09:50 AM

What did you forget? (Food wise)

I like to cook greenbeans is the slow cooker with chicken broth and dill,
carrots and Tony Chachere's cajun spice. Most of our dinner is starchy so
this is a lighter side dish. I bought the carrots 2 days ago and they were
mushy, I didn't use them. So I forgot to check my ingredients before it was
too late to do anything about it.

jmcquown 25-11-2005 03:21 PM

Nexis wrote:
> I was reading through a few posts while waiting to carve the bird,
> and saw a few people mention forgetting something they intended to
> have (I think the one that got me thinking was devilled eggs, because
> I also forgot them!) Did you forget anything?
>

> kimberly

Nothing. It's hard to forget things when you're cooking for one.

Jill

Nancy Young 25-11-2005 04:49 PM

"Nexis" > wrote in message
>I was reading through a few posts while waiting to carve the bird, and saw
>a few people mention forgetting something they intended to have (I think
>the one that got me thinking was devilled eggs, because I also forgot
>them!)
> Did you forget anything?

Didn't occur to me until about an hour ago ... the asparagus!

That's okay, we'll have it with the pork chops.

nancy

kilikini 25-11-2005 05:00 PM

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "Nexis" > wrote in message
> >I was reading through a few posts while waiting to carve the bird, and

saw
> >a few people mention forgetting something they intended to have (I think
> >the one that got me thinking was devilled eggs, because I also forgot
> >them!)
> > Did you forget anything?

> Didn't occur to me until about an hour ago ... the asparagus!
>
> That's okay, we'll have it with the pork chops.
>
> nancy

I remembered the asparagus but almost forgot the cranberry!

kili

-L. 25-11-2005 07:49 PM

Phyllis Stone wrote:
> I like to cook greenbeans is the slow cooker with chicken broth and dill,
> carrots and Tony Chachere's cajun spice. Most of our dinner is starchy so
> this is a lighter side dish. I bought the carrots 2 days ago and they were
> mushy, I didn't use them. So I forgot to check my ingredients before it was
> too late to do anything about it.

This sounds really good - how long to you cook them?
-L.

King's Crown 25-11-2005 08:26 PM

What did you forget? (Food wise)

Yes, I definitely forgot something... pretty important nutrition wise
too.... the green vegetable. HA! We were all sitting down passing around
the food and I started thinking where's the broccoli? hahaha I hadn't
steamed it. It wouldn't take long to steam, but everyone including my
children voted to go without.

Lynne

Melba's Jammin' 25-11-2005 09:57 PM

What did you forget? (Food wise)

In article <HAshf.33815$qw.19806@fed1read07>, "Nexis" >
wrote:

> I was reading through a few posts while waiting to carve the bird, and saw a
> few people mention forgetting something they intended to have (I think the
> one that got me thinking was devilled eggs, because I also forgot them!)
> Did you forget anything?
>

> kimberly

We forgot to serve the broccoli, list be damned.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 11-23-05 - Potica!

Phyllis Stone 25-11-2005 10:11 PM

What did you forget? (Food wise)

"-L." > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Phyllis Stone wrote:
>> I like to cook greenbeans is the slow cooker with chicken broth and dill,
>> carrots and Tony Chachere's cajun spice. Most of our dinner is starchy
>> so
>> this is a lighter side dish. I bought the carrots 2 days ago and they
>> were
>> mushy, I didn't use them. So I forgot to check my ingredients before it
>> was
>> too late to do anything about it.

> This sounds really good - how long to you cook them?
> -L.

On low for about 5 hrs.

Julia Altshuler 26-11-2005 02:10 AM

What did you forget? (Food wise)

This doesn't exactly qualify as a food-wise forget, and I already
mentioned that I didn't plan on something to wear that what both dressy
and wouldn't make me sneeze, but I forgot to move the table.

The table normally lives up against the window so 2-3 people can eat at
it, and the 4th spot is given over to houseplants. As I was setting the
table for 4, I remember thinking that I had to get Jim to help me move
the table. Then I forgot all about it. As we were sitting to eat, I
realized that someone had moved the table as there were 4 place settings
and 4 chairs all in appropriate spots. It turns out that my guests
noticed the problem and took care of it all without mentioning it. I
LOVE those people.

--Lia

Dean G. 26-11-2005 07:39 AM

What did you forget? (Food wise)

I forgot a few things, including butter. I had to make a few things
with oil instead to save butter for the table. And I also par boiled
and peeled some small onions the day before, but forgot to make the
creamed onions. I'll make them tomorrow or Sunday. I have plenty of
leftovers to eat them with.

Dean G.

serene 26-11-2005 08:00 AM

Nexis wrote:

> I was reading through a few posts while waiting to carve the bird, and saw a
> few people mention forgetting something they intended to have (I think the
> one that got me thinking was devilled eggs, because I also forgot them!)
> Did you forget anything?

The canned jellied cranberry sauce. The Waldorf salad (Carin
remembered, but by then most people had eaten already). I would've
forgotten lots more, but James was my kitchen helper, and he is the MOST
amazing thing, and has a great memory for details, so he made sure I did
things like putting the rolls into the oven. I seriously would never be
able to feed sixteen people at once without his help.

(The fact that I've been eating Waldorf salad until it's coming out my
ears today should not be construed to mean that I *intended* to leave
the salad in the fridge, oh, nosirree. That would be *evil*. But oh,
man, this stuff is SO good. I begged Carin to make it, and she indulged
me. And now I'm wondering how it would be without celery, which I don't
much like. And now I'm wondering if I should tell y'all that Waldorf
salad is really good with American cheese on top. ;-)

serene

serene 26-11-2005 08:01 AM

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> This doesn't exactly qualify as a food-wise forget, and I already
> mentioned that I didn't plan on something to wear that what both dressy
> and wouldn't make me sneeze,

Next time I have a dinner party, I need to plan in some time to go
change my clothes. I ended up having dinner in my "bad kitty" t-shirt.

serene

CJ Jones 26-11-2005 11:52 PM

Nexis wrote:
> I was reading through a few posts while waiting to carve the bird, and saw a
> few people mention forgetting something they intended to have (I think the
> one that got me thinking was devilled eggs, because I also forgot them!)
> Did you forget anything?
>

> kimberly

Salad. I had all the salad stuff sitting in the fridge staring at me
this morning as I went to get the eggs to have some breakfast popovers.

CJ

Default User 28-11-2005 06:59 PM

Nexis wrote:

> I was reading through a few posts while waiting to carve the bird,
> and saw a few people mention forgetting something they intended to
> have (I think the one that got me thinking was devilled eggs, because
> I also forgot them!) Did you forget anything?

I came close to forgetting the homemade cranberry sauce. I whipped it
up at the last minute and one of my brothers stuck it in the freezer to
chill, so it came in under the wire.

Otherwise, things went off pretty well.

Brian

won't shut up.

Damsel in dis Dress 05-12-2005 11:33 AM

What did you forget? (Food wise)

I had planned Thanksgiving dinner with military precision this year.
Everything was on the table at the appointed time. But nothing seemed
special. Next year, we're going back to chaos. It tastes better. :D

Carol
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos

Damsel in dis Dress 05-12-2005 11:39 AM

What did you forget? (Food wise)

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 23:01:57 -0800, serene >
wrote:

>Next time I have a dinner party, I need to plan in some time to go
>change my clothes. I ended up having dinner in my "bad kitty" t-shirt.

I'm glad that wasn't just me. By the time dinner was ready, I was
well past having the energy to shower and change. I'm glad it was
family - *understanding* family.

Carol
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos

Bob Terwilliger 06-12-2005 12:07 AM

Carol wrote:

> Next year, we're going back to chaos. It tastes better. :D

Does it taste like chicken?

Bob

Damsel in dis Dress 06-12-2005 01:46 AM

What did you forget? (Food wise)

On 5 Dec 2005 17:07:03 -0600, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Carol wrote:
>
>> Next year, we're going back to chaos. It tastes better. :D

>Does it taste like chicken?

Of course, silly man! Sheesh!

Carol
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos

serene 10-12-2005 05:05 PM

What did you forget? (Food wise)

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 04:33:43 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
> wrote:

>I had planned Thanksgiving dinner with military precision this year.
>Everything was on the table at the appointed time. But nothing seemed
>special. Next year, we're going back to chaos. It tastes better. :D

Wow, Carol, I said this exact thing to my partner the other day. I
had a theme and everything (What My Mom Makes), and it was all just
ordinary. Forget that. I'm just gonna cook some good food next time.

serene