FoodBanter.com

-   -   Beer-Cheese Soup (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/74464-beer-cheese-soup.html)

jmcquown 17-11-2005 09:13 PM

Beer-Cheese Soup

I can't find my original recipe, but it's very much like this one from
cooks.com. My comments as to what I remember doing differently are in
brackets.

Beer-Cheese Soup

1 c. carrots, chopped [grated]
1 c. celery, chopped [diced]
1 c. yellow onions, chopped [diced]
[I remember adding minced garlic, a couple of cloves]
2 tsp. peanut oil [I use butter to saute the veggies]
6 c. chicken stock [or broth]
1 c. Cheddar cheese, grated [2 cups, at least]
2 tsp. flour [I make a roux with 1 Tbs. butter/flour, a cup milk or half &
half, then melt the cheese in it, stirring constantly to make a thick cheese
sauce]
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
[sprinkle or two of sweet paprika]
pinch of dried tarragon leaves
1/8 tsp. Tabasco [start with a couple of dashes, add more to taste at the
table]
1/8 tsp. Worcestershire sauce [more like 1/2 tsp.]
1 (12 oz.) can beer

Saute the carrots, celery and onions [and garlic] in oil until lightly
browned [just tender]. Bring soup stock to a boil. Add vegetables and
simmer for 45 minutes [this might be too long unless you leave your veggies
fairly chunky]. Dredge the cheese in the flour and mix into the soup,
stirring constantly until the mixture thickens. [See my comments about
making a cheese sauce instead.] Keep stirring often until you serve. Add
the salt, pepper, mustard [tarragon, paprika], Tabasco and Worcestershire.
Finally add the beer and stir until all is hot.

[Serve cheese soup with a crisp salad if desired and hot crusty bread, or
topped with crispy croutons.]

Jill

jmcquown 17-11-2005 09:32 PM

NOTE: Beer-Cheese Soup

I think I shook some red pepper flakes into the soup, too. I'm going to try
to recreate my original either today or tomorrow but this is pretty much the
basis for it.

Jill

zxcvbob 17-11-2005 10:59 PM

Beer-Cheese Soup

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> "jmcquown" > looking for trouble wrote in

>>[Serve cheese soup with a crisp salad if desired and hot crusty bread,
>>or topped with crispy croutons.]
>>
>>Jill
>>

> For Gawd's sake, the entire recipe is in brackets ;) Sounds good though.
>
> Michael <- never follows a recipe anyway

I made some broccoli cheese soup a couple of weeks ago by simmering
frozen broccoli in water until it was done, then (without draining)
chopped the broccoli and added some canned cheese sauce, dried minced
onion, a pinch of marjoram, and a little leftover rice for texture. (I
still haven't finished using up that big can of Nacho Cheeze Sauce I
bought at Sam's.) Brought the whole mess just to a simmer and served hot.

It was surprisingly good.

I'll bet something similar could be made for beer cheese soup without
having to make a roux, etc.

Best regards,
Bob

jmcquown 18-11-2005 12:52 AM

Beer-Cheese Soup

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> "jmcquown" > looking for trouble wrote in
> :
>
>> I can't find my original recipe, but it's very much like this one
>> from cooks.com. My comments as to what I remember doing differently
>> are in brackets.
>>
>> Beer-Cheese Soup
>>

> For Gawd's sake, the entire recipe is in brackets ;) Sounds good
> though.
>
> Michael <- never follows a recipe anyway

LOL! I know.... but I can't find mine and I'd make those adjustments. I
don't want chunky veggies in beer-cheese soup no matter how soft they are.
I'll probably try this with the cheese in flour thing rather than make the
cheese sauce. Didn't get around to it today.

Jill

Joseph Littleshoes 18-11-2005 01:50 AM

Beer-Cheese Soup

jmcquown wrote:

> Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> > "jmcquown" > looking for trouble wrote in
> > :
> >
> >> I can't find my original recipe, but it's very much like this one
> >> from cooks.com. My comments as to what I remember doing

> differently
> >> are in brackets.
> >>
> >> Beer-Cheese Soup
> >>

> > For Gawd's sake, the entire recipe is in brackets ;) Sounds good
> > though.
> >
> > Michael <- never follows a recipe anyway

> LOL! I know.... but I can't find mine and I'd make those
> adjustments. I
> don't want chunky veggies in beer-cheese soup no matter how soft they
> are.
> I'll probably try this with the cheese in flour thing rather than make
> the
> cheese sauce. Didn't get around to it today.

I seem to vaguley recall a base of chicken stock with dark beer, cheddar
cheese, mustard and worchestishire and thickened with flour? Sort of a
welsh rarebit soup? Just out of curiosity i googled beer+cheese+soup and
got lots of 'hits', the following has a wide variety of examples, with
everything from 'cheze whip' and various veggies versions to my vaguely
remembered version.

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/cat/230/0.shtml

I am very fond of a good strong French onion soup with lots of grated
swiss cheese.
---
JL

jmcquown 18-11-2005 04:01 AM

Beer-Cheese Soup

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> Joseph Littleshoes > looking for trouble wrote in
> :
>
>> jmcquown wrote:

>>> differently

>>> LOL! I know.... but I can't find mine and I'd make those
>>> adjustments. I
>>> don't want chunky veggies in beer-cheese soup no matter how soft
>>> they are.
>>> I'll probably try this with the cheese in flour thing rather than
>>> make the
>>> cheese sauce. Didn't get around to it today.

>> I seem to vaguley recall a base of chicken stock with dark beer,
>> cheddar cheese, mustard and worchestishire and thickened with flour?
>> Sort of a welsh rarebit soup? Just out of curiosity i googled
>> beer+cheese+soup and got lots of 'hits', the following has a wide
>> variety of examples, with everything from 'cheze whip' and various
>> veggies versions to my vaguely remembered version.
>>
>> http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/cat/230/0.shtml
>>
>> I am very fond of a good strong French onion soup with lots of grated
>> swiss cheese.
>> ---
>> JL
>>

>>> Jill

> I am completely into cheese soups. I like mine more chowdery with
> diced potato, carrot and green bell pepper. Oh, lots of onion too. I
> always make mine with stock and serve with french bread, salad and
> whatever else sounds good at the time. Jill's recipe made me laugh
> since I don't have one.
>
> Michael

When I first came up with my recipe, I was attempting to re-create the soup
I'd had at the old 91st Bomb Group Restaurant out by the airport in Memphis.
I think I remember them adding bits of diced ham or cooked chopped bacon to
the soup, too. I also forgot to mention, salt & pepper to taste, but to me
that's a given. Cheddar is a little salty so I wait to add salt when I make
any soup with cheese in it.

Jill

Joseph Littleshoes 18-11-2005 06:05 AM

Beer-Cheese Soup

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

> Joseph Littleshoes > looking for trouble wrote in
>
> :
>
> > jmcquown wrote:

> one
> >> differently

> >> LOL! I know.... but I can't find mine and I'd make those
> >> adjustments. I
> >> don't want chunky veggies in beer-cheese soup no matter how soft

> they
> >> are.
> >> I'll probably try this with the cheese in flour thing rather than

> make
> >> the
> >> cheese sauce. Didn't get around to it today.

> > I seem to vaguley recall a base of chicken stock with dark beer,

> cheddar
> > cheese, mustard and worchestishire and thickened with flour? Sort of

> > welsh rarebit soup? Just out of curiosity i googled beer+cheese+soup

> and
> > got lots of 'hits', the following has a wide variety of examples,

> with
> > everything from 'cheze whip' and various veggies versions to my

> vaguely
> > remembered version.
> >
> > http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/cat/230/0.shtml
> >
> > I am very fond of a good strong French onion soup with lots of

> grated
> > swiss cheese.
> > ---
> > JL
> >

> >> Jill

> I am completely into cheese soups. I like mine more chowdery with
> diced
> potato, carrot and green bell pepper. Oh, lots of onion too. I always
> make
> mine with stock and serve with french bread, salad and whatever else
> sounds
> good at the time. Jill's recipe made me laugh since I don't have one.
>
> Michael

Im more of a cheese sauce type, i do love me chilli cheese dogs and one
of my favourite childhood dishes my mother used to make was a can of
French cut green beans drained and heated up in a cheddar cheese sauce
sprinkled with paprika.
---
JL

karen 19-11-2005 03:15 AM

Beer-Cheese Soup

jmcquown wrote:
> I can't find my original recipe, but it's very much like this one from
> cooks.com. My comments as to what I remember doing differently are in
> brackets.
>
> Beer-Cheese Soup

Good recipe snipped.

Jill, this is my very favorite, which I have posted before. I have had
it at the brewpub and have also made it at home (with chicken stock).

Now I see that amounts aren't coming out right. I would use 1/4 to 1/2
pound gorgonzola. Also, with the potatoes in the soup I have never had
to resort to cornstarch. It's a simple recipe and you can adapt it by
adding carrots or whatever. I'm sorry for how the recipe translated,
but you should be able to find it by google from this newsgroup.

Now watching a show about that scum Chapman.

>From Hizzoner:

GORGONZOLA ALE SOUP

>From the Wynkoop Brewing Company in Denver, Colorado

1 Pound red potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 Medium yellow onion, peeled and chopped
3 Quarts water
2 Cups chicken stock
1 Cups ale (such as Railyard, Fat Tire, etc.)
〓 Pound gorgonzola cheese (can also use smoked gouda) diced
1 Cup heavy cream
1 Teaspoon salt or to taste
1 Teaspoon white pepper or to taste
〓 Cup cornstarch
〓 Cup reserved potato water
Croutons for garnish

Boil potatoes and onion in water until potatoes are slightly mushy,
about 15 minutes. Drain water into a bowl and set aside. Puree onion
and potatoes in a food processor, adding reserved potato water as
needed to make a smooth mixture. Be careful not to splatter hot liquid.

Pour chicken stock and beer into a large stockpot and bring to a boil
on the stove. Add the cheese and stir over medium heat until cheese
melts and blends with the liquid. Add cream, pureed potato mixture,
salt, and pepper. Simmer, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes.
Dissolve cornstarch in 〓 cup of the reserved potato water and stir
into the soup. Simmer for another 10 minutes or until the soup
thickens and serve steaming hot. Garnish with croutons. Serves 6

Joseph Littleshoes 23-11-2005 12:35 AM

Beer-Cheese Soup

Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

> Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
>
> > Joseph Littleshoes > looking for trouble wrote

> in
> >
> > :

> > I am completely into cheese soups. I like mine more chowdery with
> > diced
> > potato, carrot and green bell pepper. Oh, lots of onion too. I

> always
> > make
> > mine with stock and serve with french bread, salad and whatever else

> > sounds
> > good at the time. Jill's recipe made me laugh since I don't have

> one.
> >
> > Michael

Having more or less given up any regular consumption of beef i do miss
my beef stock. I used to make SUCH a French onion soup. I would take
several days to make and clarify the rich beef stock just for French
onion soup. Chicken or fish stock for French onion soup just don't
work, at least for me.

I'm tempted to go out tomorrow and get some beef bones, and make a pot
of onion soup for thursday, but i have already promised to turn the
turkey carcass into a pot of hoppin' John and i am making an effort this
year to do as little as possible. And which has already resulted in the
making of several pints of an apple, squash, and onion soup. And now
i've got beans simmering to use for sauces & sides.
---
JL

sf 23-11-2005 06:25 AM

Beer-Cheese Soup

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 23:35:44 GMT, Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

> Having more or less given up any regular consumption of beef i do miss
> my beef stock. I used to make SUCH a French onion soup. I would take
> several days to make and clarify the rich beef stock just for French
> onion soup. Chicken or fish stock for French onion soup just don't
> work, at least for me.

I make a dynamite French Onion soup too. I oven roast bones (multiple
types) and vegetables... and simmer them overnight (10 hours or more).
I've never considered clarifying the stock because all those onions
and the bread/cheese topping obscures any clarity.

Question: What method do you use to clarify the stock?

:)

Jo Anne Slaven 23-11-2005 10:16 PM

Beer-Cheese Soup

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 21:25:26 -0800, sf >
wrote:

>On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 23:35:44 GMT, Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
>
>> Having more or less given up any regular consumption of beef i do miss
>> my beef stock. I used to make SUCH a French onion soup. I would take
>> several days to make and clarify the rich beef stock just for French
>> onion soup. Chicken or fish stock for French onion soup just don't
>> work, at least for me.
>>

>I make a dynamite French Onion soup too. I oven roast bones (multiple
>types) and vegetables... and simmer them overnight (10 hours or more).
>I've never considered clarifying the stock because all those onions
>and the bread/cheese topping obscures any clarity.
>
>Question: What method do you use to clarify the stock?

Recipe please?

I also make a pretty fine French Onion soup, but I just use
stock-in-a-box. I'd love to improve on it if I can.

Jo Anne

Joseph Littleshoes 26-11-2005 09:50 PM

Beer-Cheese Soup

sf wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 23:35:44 GMT, Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
>
> > Having more or less given up any regular consumption of beef i do

> miss
> > my beef stock. I used to make SUCH a French onion soup. I would

> take
> > several days to make and clarify the rich beef stock just for

> French
> > onion soup. Chicken or fish stock for French onion soup just don't

> > work, at least for me.
> >

> I make a dynamite French Onion soup too. I oven roast bones (multiple
>
> types) and vegetables... and simmer them overnight (10 hours or more).
>
> I've never considered clarifying the stock because all those onions
> and the bread/cheese topping obscures any clarity.
>
> Question: What method do you use to clarify the stock?

Sorry for not replying sooner SF, i wanted to see if i could find a set
of better written instructions, but alas no luck, the basic process is
much as you describe except the basic stock is made without veggies,
once you have the meat stock that is started in cold water and intensely
skimmed and filtered & 'decanted' a filtered stock will have particulate
matter that gets through even the finest filter and the stock must be
left to rest so the particulate matter sinks to the bottom and the stock
can be carefully poured off.

Then add any other veggies for flavouring, but if you want a unclouded
stock it is important not to let the veggies cook so long they begin to
dissolve.

Back in the day i followed a French recipe that called for beef flesh as
well as bones to make the stock with as well as veal and raw ham.
Flavoured with carrots, onions and a 'bouquet garni' of parsley, thyme,
bay and garlic.

The oven browned bones are started in the stock pot, then after about 12
hours of skimming and simmering the meat is cut into large chunks and
browned in hot fat. This is then covered with some of the prepared
stock, and allowed to boil down to a glaze, the process is repeated 2 or
3 times then the rest of the stock added, brought to a boil, constantly
skimmed and allowed to simmer for 12 - 15 hours.

There is a technique for using egg whites to clarify stock but the few
occasions i have tried to use it was to no avail, either i don't have
proper instruction or its not a very good technique.
---
JL