Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dawn

Default crab cakes -- mayo vs egg

What's the difference between using mayo as a binder and using beaten
egg? Does the texture change? I'm looking at recipes, and somehow it
doesn't seem like the mayo would work all that well.

Dawn

Posted to rec.food.cooking
limey

"Dawn" > wrote in message

> What's the difference between using mayo as a binder and using beaten egg?
> Does the texture change? I'm looking at recipes, and somehow it doesn't
> seem like the mayo would work all that well.
>
> Dawn

The recipe I always use calls for both mayo and beaten egg. With slight
variations, it's the commonly used one here in Maryland.

Dora (recipe follows)

* Exported from MasterCook *

Crab Cakes

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

2 slices bread -- crusts removed
1 pound crab meat
1 teaspoon Old Bay Seafood seasoning
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon green bell pepper -- chopped fine
1 egg -- beaten

Break bread in small pieces. Mix all ingredients, shape into 8 small cakes.
(I then like to cover them with breadcrumbs and place in the refrigerator
for 30 minutes or so to firm up.)

Fry quickly in butter/oil mixture until brown.

Source:
"From the recipe on the original Old Bay can"

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Peter Aitken

"Dawn" > wrote in message
> What's the difference between using mayo as a binder and using beaten egg?
> Does the texture change? I'm looking at recipes, and somehow it doesn't
> seem like the mayo would work all that well.
>

> Dawn

It does work although the result is more fragile than if you use egg. I
prefer it.

--
Peter Aitken

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

limey wrote:
> "Dawn" > wrote in message
>
>> What's the difference between using mayo as a binder and using
>> beaten egg? Does the texture change? I'm looking at recipes, and
>> somehow it doesn't seem like the mayo would work all that well.
>>
>> Dawn

> The recipe I always use calls for both mayo and beaten egg. With
> slight variations, it's the commonly used one here in Maryland.
>
> Dora (recipe follows)

Agreed, Dora. My crab cakes call for both. If no mayo is available sour
cream works, too. But definitely not an either eggs or mayo situation.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"limey" > wrote

> The recipe I always use calls for both mayo and beaten egg. With slight
> variations, it's the commonly used one here in Maryland.
>
> Dora (recipe follows)

That's exactly what I'm having for dinner one day
this week, I have all but the green pepper, I'll use my
dehydrated green peppers from Penzeys.

I wanted to buy a green pepper last week, they had
six, countem, six green peppers, all the worse for
wear. Came to find out there is a shortage due to
(bad weather problem here) and they won't be plentiful
again until sometime in December.

Now I want to know why there appears to be a shortage
of California Late garlic, webites I checked are all out until
fall 2006.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
limey

"Nancy Young" wrote in message >
> "limey" > wrote
>
>> The recipe I always use calls for both mayo and beaten egg. With slight
>> variations, it's the commonly used one here in Maryland.
>>
>> Dora (recipe follows)

> That's exactly what I'm having for dinner one day
> this week, I have all but the green pepper, I'll use my
> dehydrated green peppers from Penzeys.

My recipe actually called for chopped parsley, but I prefer finely-chopped
green pepper (adds more flavor).

> I wanted to buy a green pepper last week, they had
> six, countem, six green peppers, all the worse for
> wear. Came to find out there is a shortage due to
> (bad weather problem here) and they won't be plentiful
> again until sometime in December.

Green peppers and tomatoes took a beating in the recent Florida hurricane.
Yes, I read the promised December date, too, for the new crop. Citrus crops
were decimated, too.

> Now I want to know why there appears to be a shortage
> of California Late garlic, webites I checked are all out until
> fall 2006.

Lots more garlic lovers, I bet!
Dora