Donna Rose

Default Dinner Party Fare

I threw a dinner party for six last night and made the following:

Cocktail Hour:

Blanched Snow Peas with Toasted Sesame oil and Sesame Seeds
Chipotle Grilled Shrimp with Lime-Cilantro Dressing
Stuffed Cremini Mushrooms with Prosciutto & Goat Cheese (Richard
Campbell's recipe)
Served with Cosmopolitans

Salad:
Mixed organic greens, mint & cilantro with walnuts, cranberries & orange
segments, dressed lightly with a champagne dressing and topped with
sauteed scallops and shaved black truffles
Served with Blackstone Sauvignon Blanc

Main Course:
Stuffed Leg of Lamb, grilled over a rotisserie
Green Beans with Garlic, Turmeric & Cumin
Homemade Butternut Squash Ravioli
Served with a 1999 Pessac-Leognan that was absolutely amazing (brought by
one of the guests)

Dessert:
Ice cream sandwiches, made with homemade vanilla ice cream and banana nut
bread with raisins & coconut.

All in all, the meal was wonderful, if I do say so myself. I was
disappointed that the lamb was a bit overcooked for my taste, but because
I stuffed and rolled it after I butterflied it, even though it was close
to well done, it was still moist and tender. It was the first time I
ever cooked a stuffed roast before; I'm not sure why my trusty
thermometer let me down (maybe I need to check the batteries?) but next
time I'll be sure to cut back a bit on the cooking time and/or move the
meat a bit further away from the heat.

--
Donna
A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist hopes they are.
Jan

Donna, that sounds amazing!

I'm not familiar with that last wine. What is Pessac-Leognan?

Janet

"Donna Rose" > wrote in message
k.net...
> I threw a dinner party for six last night and made the following:
>
> Cocktail Hour:
>
> Blanched Snow Peas with Toasted Sesame oil and Sesame Seeds
> Chipotle Grilled Shrimp with Lime-Cilantro Dressing
> Stuffed Cremini Mushrooms with Prosciutto & Goat Cheese (Richard
> Campbell's recipe)
> Served with Cosmopolitans
>
> Salad:
> Mixed organic greens, mint & cilantro with walnuts, cranberries & orange
> segments, dressed lightly with a champagne dressing and topped with
> sauteed scallops and shaved black truffles
> Served with Blackstone Sauvignon Blanc
>
> Main Course:
> Stuffed Leg of Lamb, grilled over a rotisserie
> Green Beans with Garlic, Turmeric & Cumin
> Homemade Butternut Squash Ravioli
> Served with a 1999 Pessac-Leognan that was absolutely amazing (brought by
> one of the guests)
>
> Dessert:
> Ice cream sandwiches, made with homemade vanilla ice cream and banana nut
> bread with raisins & coconut.
>
> All in all, the meal was wonderful, if I do say so myself. I was
> disappointed that the lamb was a bit overcooked for my taste, but because
> I stuffed and rolled it after I butterflied it, even though it was close
> to well done, it was still moist and tender. It was the first time I
> ever cooked a stuffed roast before; I'm not sure why my trusty
> thermometer let me down (maybe I need to check the batteries?) but next
> time I'll be sure to cut back a bit on the cooking time and/or move the
> meat a bit further away from the heat.
>
> --
> Donna
> A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist hopes they are.

Michael Odom

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 20:13:28 GMT, Donna Rose
> wrote:

>I threw a dinner party for six last night and made the following:
>
>Cocktail Hour:
>
>Blanched Snow Peas with Toasted Sesame oil and Sesame Seeds
>Chipotle Grilled Shrimp with Lime-Cilantro Dressing
>Stuffed Cremini Mushrooms with Prosciutto & Goat Cheese (Richard
>Campbell's recipe)
>Served with Cosmopolitans
>
>Salad:
>Mixed organic greens, mint & cilantro with walnuts, cranberries & orange
>segments, dressed lightly with a champagne dressing and topped with
>sauteed scallops and shaved black truffles
>Served with Blackstone Sauvignon Blanc
>
>Main Course:
>Stuffed Leg of Lamb, grilled over a rotisserie
>Green Beans with Garlic, Turmeric & Cumin
>Homemade Butternut Squash Ravioli
>Served with a 1999 Pessac-Leognan that was absolutely amazing (brought by
>one of the guests)
>
>Dessert:
>Ice cream sandwiches, made with homemade vanilla ice cream and banana nut
>bread with raisins & coconut.
>
>All in all, the meal was wonderful, if I do say so myself. I was
>disappointed that the lamb was a bit overcooked for my taste, but because
>I stuffed and rolled it after I butterflied it, even though it was close
>to well done, it was still moist and tender. It was the first time I
>ever cooked a stuffed roast before; I'm not sure why my trusty
>thermometer let me down (maybe I need to check the batteries?) but next
>time I'll be sure to cut back a bit on the cooking time and/or move the
>meat a bit further away from the heat.

Even with the too-done lamb, it sounds absolutely wonderful. Thanks
for sharing the menu.

modom

"If you have a racist friend,
Now is the time, now is the time
For your friendship to end."
-- The Specials
Donna Rose

In article >, says...

> Donna Rose wrote:
> >
> > In article >,

says...
> > > Donna, that sounds amazing!
> > >
> > > I'm not familiar with that last wine. What is Pessac-Leognan?
> > >

> > Damned if I know. I had to dig one of the bottles out of the recycling
> > bin to get the name right.
> >
> > On further inspection of the label, it says "Product of France -
> > Bordeaux". I know that a real Bordeaux can only be *from* Bordeaux, but
> > I don't know if anything *but* a Bordeaux is made in Bordeaux. Confused
> > now? LOL me too.
> >
> > --
> > Donna

> Here's some info:

http://www.winemega.com/articles_200...n_graves_e.htm

Thanks Arri - that was quite helpful. I'm not sure if I can buy it here,
as the folks who brought it actually brought it back from France, but I'm
going to take the label with me to the liquor store to see if I can find
some locally. It was definitely worth a second try. Thanks again for
the link.
--
Donna
A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist hopes they are.
sf

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 23:42:45 GMT, Donna Rose
> wrote:

> > Here's some info:
> > http://www.winemega.com/articles_200...n_graves_e.htm

> Thanks Arri - that was quite helpful. I'm not sure if I can buy it here,
> as the folks who brought it actually brought it back from France, but I'm
> going to take the label with me to the liquor store to see if I can find
> some locally. It was definitely worth a second try.

Which stores do you have in mind? I'm thinking the one on
Chestnut St near the theater (if it's still in busines)
and/or PlumpJack. What other possibilities did you come up
with?

> Thanks again for the link.

here is a good link too
http://www.terroir-france.com/region...sacleognan.htm