Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

Default How is working for Google different from working for Safeway?

This just occurred to me. Many years ago, my local "small store"
Safeway had a terrific meat department manager. He had his finger on
the pulse of his customers and provided them with what they wanted and
sales soared. As a reward, Safeway changed the criteria they had
given him to earn his *yearly* bonus (a measly amount for the
work).... and they transfered him out of the store, just to make sure
he didn't rise to the new level.

OTOH: my daughter told me last night that she'd not only gotten the
promotion she wanted (still below the "official" management level at
Google) AND she'd made 198% of her *quarterly* bonus.

Which company rewards their workers for busting their butts on the
job?

It amazes me that companies like Safeway can sustain business
practices like that and it confirms why many people hate their
employers/jobs.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Shawn Hirn

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> This just occurred to me. Many years ago, my local "small store"
> Safeway had a terrific meat department manager. He had his finger on
> the pulse of his customers and provided them with what they wanted and
> sales soared. As a reward, Safeway changed the criteria they had
> given him to earn his *yearly* bonus (a measly amount for the
> work).... and they transfered him out of the store, just to make sure
> he didn't rise to the new level.
>
> OTOH: my daughter told me last night that she'd not only gotten the
> promotion she wanted (still below the "official" management level at
> Google) AND she'd made 198% of her *quarterly* bonus.
>
> Which company rewards their workers for busting their butts on the
> job?
>
> It amazes me that companies like Safeway can sustain business
> practices like that and it confirms why many people hate their
> employers/jobs.

Comparing a career path of a typical Google employee to a typical
supermarket employee makes no sense at all. I do agree that this
example about the meat department manager reflects poorly on Safeway's
management style.

You should be proud that your daughter got a job at Google. Have you
ever seen the job application Google uses?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 06:14:42 -0500, Shawn Hirn wrote:

> You should be proud that your daughter got a job at Google.

Don't get me wrong... I am very proud of her. I know that when she
applied, they were getting 1,000 applications a day - so it was a big
deal that she was even noticed.

> Have you ever seen the job application Google uses?

No, but I also know that I wouldn't have made the cut based on what
she told me about the questions and how she answered them. I must
also add that google employees are a very impressive bunch of kids...
I've met a few of them, thanks to the policy of being able to invite
family/friends over for lunch from time to time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 06:14:42 -0500, Shawn Hirn wrote:
>
>> You should be proud that your daughter got a job at Google.

> Don't get me wrong... I am very proud of her. I know that when she
> applied, they were getting 1,000 applications a day - so it was a big
> deal that she was even noticed.
>
>> Have you ever seen the job application Google uses?

> No, but I also know that I wouldn't have made the cut based on what
> she told me about the questions and how she answered them. I must
> also add that google employees are a very impressive bunch of kids...
> I've met a few of them, thanks to the policy of being able to invite
> family/friends over for lunch from time to time.

Incredible! I've seen visible employees at an unnamed wholesale shopping
store that I wonder what their hiring practices are as these policies are
consistent as well. Actually it's hard to beat their hang-around,
know-nothing, slack-jaw, surly look and nasty attitude if asked anything.
No wonder google is so successful. Praise be!
Dee Dee