Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kate Connally

Default Kates lemon dream (waws Fried Meyer lemon slices)

Kathy in NZ wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 22:15:42 +1300, Peter Huebner
> > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> says...
> >> >
> >> http://tinyurl.com/8vb6h
> >>

> >Anyhow, I for one can't stand Meyer lemons. If I want mandarins, I'll
> >eat mandarins. If I want lemons, I want sour, zesty, tangy lemons and
> >not those wishy washy Meyers. They are like eating wilted lettuce i.m.o.
> >

> >The trouble with Meyers, if you grow your own is, the all ripen at once
> >on the tree, and after they're gone - that's it. When they're ripe the
> >ground under the tree is covered in rotting fruit because you can't use
> >them all, the rest of the year you're s.o.o.l.
> >

> Snipped
> In NZ, Meyer lemons are common. They are thin-skinned, juicy, still
> sour, and prolific fruiters on trees, my favourite lemons, but their
> bounty depends on where they're grown. In my childhood home of
> Hastings, they grew almost year-round. The trees were seldom without
> lemons on them. However I haven't been successful in growing them well
> in Wellington (cooler climate).
>
> Meyers are more suited to some climates than others. Rather like
> Chinese gooseberries, that originated in China. For the Chinese they
> weren't much of a fruit. In NZ the vines were prolific fruiters and
> the fruit was renamed Kiwifruit. Or rabbits, that are cute and fluffy
> in England (or possums from Australia) but in NZ are rapidly breeding
> pests which destroy pasture and trees.

Speaking of which, I had the weirest dream. There was a guy
who had a fruit tree and it had lemons and peaches on it and he
offered me a piece. I took a lemon but didn't realize there
were lemons on the tree, I thought I was getting a peach. But
I ended up eat the lemon out of hand like an orange and was surprised
that it wasn't too tart to eat. The guy told me it was a Meyer
lemon. I told him I had a recipe for fried Meyer lemon slices.
Very strange dream. Look what reading this newsgroup does to
one. :-)

Kate
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kathy in NZ

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 14:47:50 -0500, Kate Connally >
wrote:

>Kathy in NZ wrote:

>> In NZ, Meyer lemons are common. They are thin-skinned, juicy, still
>> sour, and prolific fruiters on trees, my favourite lemons, but their
>> bounty depends on where they're grown. In my childhood home of
>> Hastings, they grew almost year-round. The trees were seldom without
>> lemons on them. However I haven't been successful in growing them well
>> in Wellington (cooler climate).

>Speaking of which, I had the weirest dream. There was a guy
>who had a fruit tree and it had lemons and peaches on it and he
>offered me a piece. I took a lemon but didn't realize there
>were lemons on the tree, I thought I was getting a peach. But
>I ended up eat the lemon out of hand like an orange and was surprised
>that it wasn't too tart to eat. The guy told me it was a Meyer
>lemon. I told him I had a recipe for fried Meyer lemon slices.
>Very strange dream. Look what reading this newsgroup does to
>one. :-)

I quite like eating a Meyer lemon as a fruit, but then I like
sour/savoury more than sweet things.

What are really nice are pancakes (not American ones, more like
crepes) with a sprinkling, just a light sprinkling of sugar and a very
generous squeeze of lemon juice. Oh be a devil. Use half a lemon at
least per pancake. Roll into a cylinder and eat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger

Kathy wrote:

> What are really nice are pancakes (not American ones, more like
> crepes) with a sprinkling, just a light sprinkling of sugar and a very
> generous squeeze of lemon juice. Oh be a devil. Use half a lemon at
> least per pancake. Roll into a cylinder and eat.

IHOP (International House of Pancakes) calls those "German Pancakes."

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Shaun aRe

"Kate Connally" > wrote in message

> Speaking of which, I had the weirest dream. There was a guy
> who had a fruit tree and it had lemons and peaches on it and he
> offered me a piece. I took a lemon but didn't realize there
> were lemons on the tree, I thought I was getting a peach.

Heheheh, funny, one of my sayings is - 'Life is like a fruit basket -
sometimes you reach for the peach but end up with a lemon.'

',;~}~

Shaun aRe

Posted to rec.food.cooking
S'mee

One time on Usenet, Kate Connally > said:
> Kathy in NZ wrote:

<snip>

> > Meyers are more suited to some climates than others. Rather like
> > Chinese gooseberries, that originated in China. For the Chinese they
> > weren't much of a fruit. In NZ the vines were prolific fruiters and
> > the fruit was renamed Kiwifruit. Or rabbits, that are cute and fluffy
> > in England (or possums from Australia) but in NZ are rapidly breeding
> > pests which destroy pasture and trees.

> Speaking of which, I had the weirest dream. There was a guy
> who had a fruit tree and it had lemons and peaches on it and he
> offered me a piece. I took a lemon but didn't realize there
> were lemons on the tree, I thought I was getting a peach. But
> I ended up eat the lemon out of hand like an orange and was surprised
> that it wasn't too tart to eat. The guy told me it was a Meyer
> lemon. I told him I had a recipe for fried Meyer lemon slices.
> Very strange dream. Look what reading this newsgroup does to
> one. :-)

Aw, Kate! I thought you were going to post a recipe for "Lemon Dream",
which sounds a lot better than fried lemons to me...

--
Jani in WA (S'mee)
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~
Posted to rec.food.cooking
TammyM

Default Fried Meyer lemon slices

(TammyM) wrote:

>>>May I invite myself over for a Delilah? I will bring the Parmesan
>>>cheese puffs....
>>>
>>>Christine, who is about 45 minutes away in Fairfield

>>You may invite yourself over after Thanksgiving when the house will be
>>clean enough for guests :-) Keep in mind I have 2 dogs and 3 cats,
>>all of whom shed like mad!!

>If you're at the point of having bags full, I can come by after T Day and
>deliver you some marmalade and curd with the results later ;-).

Oh, I have bags full all right! And I really must denude the tree
this season! I can't drink enough Delilahs to do so without
imperilling my liver :-)

>I had fried Meyer lemon slices as part of a fritto misto years ago on my
>birthday (June, so not really Meyer season here in my opinion) at Oliveto
>in Oakland. They were divine.
>
>>Whatcha doing in Fairfield? Girl, you sho do move around a lot!

>Yo!

We're talking of a get together of some of the usual and some of the
not so usual suspects at my house in February. Interested?

TammyM

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger

Tammy wrote:

> We're talking of a get together of some of the usual and some of the
> not so usual suspects at my house in February. Interested?

Isn't this discussion supposed to be in the chat room? :-)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
TammyM

On 22 Nov 2005 17:41:04 -0600, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>Tammy wrote:
>
>> We're talking of a get together of some of the usual and some of the
>> not so usual suspects at my house in February. Interested?

>Isn't this discussion supposed to be in the chat room? :-)

Ooooops :-)

TammyM

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 17:12:35 GMT, TammyM wrote:

> We're talking of a get together of some of the usual and some of the
> not so usual suspects at my house in February.

WE? Who is we?

Just curious.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Charlotte L. Blackmer

(TammyM) wrote:

> [...]

I'll wave hi as I blast through on the interstate.

>>>You may invite yourself over after Thanksgiving when the house will be
>>>clean enough for guests :-) Keep in mind I have 2 dogs and 3 cats,
>>>all of whom shed like mad!!

>>If you're at the point of having bags full, I can come by after T Day and
>>deliver you some marmalade and curd with the results later ;-).

>Oh, I have bags full all right! And I really must denude the tree
>this season! I can't drink enough Delilahs to do so without
>imperilling my liver :-)

Great. Check your aggieland mail account, then.

Also check my blog recipe sidebar ... lemon curd freezes very well .

>>I had fried Meyer lemon slices as part of a fritto misto years ago on my
>>birthday (June, so not really Meyer season here in my opinion) at Oliveto
>>in Oakland. They were divine.
>>
>>>Whatcha doing in Fairfield? Girl, you sho do move around a lot!

>>Yo!

>We're talking of a get together of some of the usual and some of the
>not so usual suspects at my house in February. Interested?

Oooh! Oooh!

I would love to get out of the house and schmooze with the usual suspects.
I am very busy the third weekend (till noon Sunday anyway... is that
President's Weekend?) and may volunteer for something food-related that
would eat the fourth, but keep me posted!

Charlotte
http://loveandcooking.blogspot.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking
TammyM

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 21:02:06 -0800, sf >
wrote:

>On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 17:12:35 GMT, TammyM wrote:
>
>> We're talking of a get together of some of the usual and some of the
>> not so usual suspects at my house in February.

>WE? Who is we?
>
>Just curious.

WE is US :-)

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Officer

(Last post?)

http://www.dogtoe.com/weblog/wp-cont...032605_002.jpg

> Bob Officer
> http://hometown.aol.com/marylynn69/OfficerBob.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Leila

THe Brazilian babysitter in Oakland served Meyer lemon cachaca at a
party (not to the children, natch!)

I hope I'm remembering the name of the Brazilian cocktail correctly.
Someone will surely chastize me if I'm wrong. Whatever is the Brazilian
national drink with their clear liquour - the babysitter's daughter
made it with Meyer Lemons. I didn't taste - it was mid-afternoon, I was
there alone with my two toddlers, and sipping strong alcohol just
didn't seem like a good idea.

Leila

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.troll
Bob Officer

Bob Officer wrote:
> (Last post?)
> Charlotte L. Blackmer wrote:
>
> > I'll wave hi as I blast through on the interstate.

> > Oooh! Oooh!

> http://www.dogtoe.com/weblog/wp-cont...032605_002.jpg
>

> > Bob Officer
> > http://hometown.aol.com/marylynn69/OfficerBob.html
> > --

Charlotte where're you?

> > Bob Officer
> > http://hometown.aol.com/marylynn69/OfficerBob.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kate Connally

S'mee wrote:

> One time on Usenet, Kate Connally > said:
> > Kathy in NZ wrote:

> <snip>
>
> > > Meyers are more suited to some climates than others. Rather like
> > > Chinese gooseberries, that originated in China. For the Chinese they
> > > weren't much of a fruit. In NZ the vines were prolific fruiters and
> > > the fruit was renamed Kiwifruit. Or rabbits, that are cute and fluffy
> > > in England (or possums from Australia) but in NZ are rapidly breeding
> > > pests which destroy pasture and trees.

> > Speaking of which, I had the weirest dream. There was a guy
> > who had a fruit tree and it had lemons and peaches on it and he
> > offered me a piece. I took a lemon but didn't realize there
> > were lemons on the tree, I thought I was getting a peach. But
> > I ended up eat the lemon out of hand like an orange and was surprised
> > that it wasn't too tart to eat. The guy told me it was a Meyer
> > lemon. I told him I had a recipe for fried Meyer lemon slices.
> > Very strange dream. Look what reading this newsgroup does to
> > one. :-)

> Aw, Kate! I thought you were going to post a recipe for "Lemon Dream",
> which sounds a lot better than fried lemons to me...

Sorry. :-( I'll see if I can find one. ;-)

Kate
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kate Connally

Default Ping Jani ( Kates lemon dream (was Fried Meyer lemon slices))

S'mee wrote:

> One time on Usenet, Kate Connally > said:
> > Kathy in NZ wrote:

> <snip>
>
> > > Meyers are more suited to some climates than others. Rather like
> > > Chinese gooseberries, that originated in China. For the Chinese they
> > > weren't much of a fruit. In NZ the vines were prolific fruiters and
> > > the fruit was renamed Kiwifruit. Or rabbits, that are cute and fluffy
> > > in England (or possums from Australia) but in NZ are rapidly breeding
> > > pests which destroy pasture and trees.

> > Speaking of which, I had the weirest dream. There was a guy
> > who had a fruit tree and it had lemons and peaches on it and he
> > offered me a piece. I took a lemon but didn't realize there
> > were lemons on the tree, I thought I was getting a peach. But
> > I ended up eat the lemon out of hand like an orange and was surprised
> > that it wasn't too tart to eat. The guy told me it was a Meyer
> > lemon. I told him I had a recipe for fried Meyer lemon slices.
> > Very strange dream. Look what reading this newsgroup does to
> > one. :-)

> Aw, Kate! I thought you were going to post a recipe for "Lemon Dream",
> which sounds a lot better than fried lemons to me...
>
> --
> Jani in WA (S'mee)
> ~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~

Okay, here's some Lemon Dream Recipes. I have not tried any of
these. Kate

LEMON CREAM DREAM

20 Girl Scout Lemon Cremes, finely crushed
2 T. butter, melted
1 pkg. lemon instant lemon (3 1/2 oz.)
2 c. milk
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 T. powdered sugar
8 oz. whipped cream
1 pt. fresh strawberries
4 oz. fresh blueberries

Combine the first two ingredients and press into a 9" pie pan. Prepare
pudding with milk according to package directions. Mix cream cheese and
powdered sugar together. Add pudding to cream cheese mixture; fold
whipped topping into pudding mixture. Layer mixture and fresh fruit
into prepared cookie pastry shell. Garnish with fresh fruit. Chill
until serving. Serves 6.

LEMON DREAM

8 oz. lemon yogurt
1/2 banana (optional)
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 scoop Simply Soy Soy Protein Shake, Vanilla Burst
6 oz. water
½ cup crushed ice

Blend above ingredients in blender or food processor until smooth and
creamy. Serves 1.

LEMON DREAM BARS

Base:
1/3 cup butter
1 cup flour
2 tablespoons sugar

Combine ingredients to make coarse crumbs. Pat firmly into ungreased
9"x9" cake pan. Bake in 350F oven for 15-20 minutes until set but not
brown.

Topping:
2 beaten eggs
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 cup angel flake coconut
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Combine ingredients and spread over cooked base. Return to oven and
bake 25-30 minutes. Top immediately with icing. Cool 15 minutes and
cut into bars.

Icing:
2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
1 cup sifted icing sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Mix together and spread over hot bars.

LEMON DREAM BARS

2/3 cup butter
2 cups flour
4 Tbsp. sugar
4 beaten eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup chopped nuts
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking powder

Cut butter into sifted flour. Add sugar with pastry blender. Press
mixture firmly into ungreased cake pan. Bake at 350F for 15-20 minutes
until set, but not brown. Combine eggs and vanilla in mixing bowl; add
brown sugar, nuts, salt, and baking powder. Mix well and spread on
partially baked dough. Bake again at 350F for 25 minutes. Frost while
hot. Cool and cut into bars.

Lemon Frosting:
4 tsp. grated lemon rind
4 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 cup powdered sugar

Combine and mix until smooth. Spread on bars while they are still hot.

LEMON DREAM CAKE

1 pkg. lemon cake mix (pudding in the mix is richer)
2 8-oz. containers lemon yogurt (blended type if possible)
1 8-oz. container of Cool Whip (thawed)

Bake cake in any form you wish. (I make 2 9" layers - the original
recipe said to use only half the batter and bake in a loaf pan, then use
the remaining batter to make cupcakes. Slice loaf cake horizontally
into 3rds, if you go this route.) Let cake cool completely on wire
rack. Fold yogurt into thawed Cool Whip. Frost generously and use
tines of fork to form wavy lines. Refrigerate if not serving right
away.

LEMON DREAM FLOAT

10-12 oz. Coca Cola, chilled
2 scoops lemon sherbet (not sorbet)
16 oz. glass or mug, well chilled

Pour Coca Cola into chilled glass, top with 2 scoops lemon sherbet,
stir if desired. (Recipe by Darcie-Nicole Wicknick)

LEMON DREAM PIE
1 9" pie shell
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup honey
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup cornstarch
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped to soft peaks

Bake empty pie shell according to package directions until golden
brown. In medium saucepan, combine water, honey, lemon juice,
cornstarch, butter, lemon peel, and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring
constantly. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir small amount
into yolks. Pour yolk mixture back into honey mixture; mix thoroughly.
Pour into pie shell. Chill. To serve, top with whipped cream. Serves
8. (From Swift and Savory by National Honey Board)

LEMON DREAM PIE

2 env. Dream Whip
1 pkg. (3 oz.) lemon Jell-o
2/3 c. boiling water
2 c. ice cubes
1 (8"-9") baked and cooled pie shell

Prepare Dream Whip as directed on package. Dissolve Jell-o in boiling
water. Add ice cubes and stir until Jell-o is thickened (about 2-3
minutes). Remove any unmelted ice. Blend in topping, then whip until
smooth. Chill until mixture will mold. Spoon into pie shell and chill
for 2 hours. Serve after pie has chilled. (Printed from cooks.com)

LEMON DREAM PUDDING

1 1/2 cup apple juice
3 tablespoons agar flakes
3 tablespoons Kuzu (kudzu)
1 teaspoon vanilla
18 ounces plain Amasake (rice drink)
1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
pinch of salt
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon rice syrup (optional)

Heat Amasake, juice, agar, and lemon peel in a medium saucepan. Simmer
5 minutes until agar dissolves. In a separate bowl, mix Kuzu with lemon
juice until it dissolves and add to saucepan and stir until it
thickens. Add salt and vanilla. Cool briefly and pour into individual
serving dishes or bowl. Let set for 1 hour in the fridge before
serving. Serves 6. (Author - Polly Pitchford, Full Spectrum Health)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
S'mee

One time on Usenet, Kate Connally > said:
> S'mee wrote:
> > One time on Usenet, Kate Connally > said:

<snip>

> > > Speaking of which, I had the weirest dream. There was a guy
> > > who had a fruit tree and it had lemons and peaches on it and he
> > > offered me a piece. I took a lemon but didn't realize there
> > > were lemons on the tree, I thought I was getting a peach. But
> > > I ended up eat the lemon out of hand like an orange and was surprised
> > > that it wasn't too tart to eat. The guy told me it was a Meyer
> > > lemon. I told him I had a recipe for fried Meyer lemon slices.
> > > Very strange dream. Look what reading this newsgroup does to
> > > one. :-)

> > Aw, Kate! I thought you were going to post a recipe for "Lemon Dream",
> > which sounds a lot better than fried lemons to me...

> Okay, here's some Lemon Dream Recipes. I have not tried any of
> these. Kate

<snip>

Ooooh, some of those bar recipes sound good -- I might just try one
of those for my New Year's gathering. And no fried lemons in the bunch!
Thanks Kate, you've more than fulfilled my lemon dreams... ;-)

--
Jani in WA (S'mee)
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~

Meyer Lemon Zest Nonny Barbecue 7 18-07-2009 06:49 PM
REC: Russ Meyer Lemon Chicken Gregory Morrow[_2_] General Cooking 0 17-04-2008 04:20 AM
Meyer Lemon & Tequila 8-) koko General Cooking 3 31-12-2007 08:28 AM
Poached Salmon with Lemon Crisps and Meyer Lemon Cream becky Recipes (moderated) 0 07-01-2007 03:42 AM
Preserved Meyer Lemon Question rmg General Cooking 13 04-05-2005 05:13 AM