Old 02-07-2004, 07:08 PM
Ken

Default Unrefrigerated ground beef

I purchased a pack of ground beef at the grocery store, packed in the
standard styrofoam/shrink wrap package. Circumstances prevented me from
getting the beef into my refrigerator for 12 hours - it spent a fairly cool
Seattle evening in my car last night. This morning, it passed the smell
test. I'd appreciate some opinions on if the meat is good/bad.

Old 02-07-2004, 07:26 PM
jmcquown

Ken wrote:
I purchased a pack of ground beef at the grocery store, packed in the
standard styrofoam/shrink wrap package. Circumstances prevented me
from getting the beef into my refrigerator for 12 hours - it spent a
fairly cool Seattle evening in my car last night. This morning, it
passed the smell test. I'd appreciate some opinions on if the meat
is good/bad.

Whatcha do, get drunk and forget about it? (teasing) How cool an evening?
If it passed the smell test it's probably okay but cook it immediately.

Jill

Old 02-07-2004, 08:49 PM
Vox Humana

"Ken" wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s51...
I purchased a pack of ground beef at the grocery store, packed in the
standard styrofoam/shrink wrap package. Circumstances prevented me from
getting the beef into my refrigerator for 12 hours - it spent a fairly

cool
Seattle evening in my car last night. This morning, it passed the smell
test. I'd appreciate some opinions on if the meat is good/bad.

Pitch it. Ground meat is the most likely type of meat to be contaminated.
A week in the hospital hoping for a quick death is far more costly than a
package of ground beef.

Old 02-07-2004, 09:42 PM
byakee

One dark day on Usenet, "Ken" said:

I purchased a pack of ground beef at the grocery store, packed in the
standard styrofoam/shrink wrap package. Circumstances prevented me from
getting the beef into my refrigerator for 12 hours - it spent a fairly cool
Seattle evening in my car last night. This morning, it passed the smell
test. I'd appreciate some opinions on if the meat is good/bad.

Given that the tempurature was in the mid-50's last night (I'm not
far from Seattle myself), I'd throw it away...

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
(COLD to HOT for e-mail)

Old 02-07-2004, 10:26 PM
Katra

In article ,
"Vox Humana" wrote:

"Ken" wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s51...
I purchased a pack of ground beef at the grocery store, packed in the
standard styrofoam/shrink wrap package. Circumstances prevented me from
getting the beef into my refrigerator for 12 hours - it spent a fairly

cool
Seattle evening in my car last night. This morning, it passed the smell
test. I'd appreciate some opinions on if the meat is good/bad.

Pitch it. Ground meat is the most likely type of meat to be contaminated.
A week in the hospital hoping for a quick death is far more costly than a
package of ground beef.

Excellent point. ;-)
It's a point I keep having to tell my dad when I want to pitch old food
to the chickens...

I've finally convinced him that it's cheaper to replace the food than
deal with the hospital bill!

My chickens love raw ground beef. I've given them stuff out of the
freezer that was freezer burned. :-)

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 03-07-2004, 01:13 AM
Jimmy G

If it don't stink, eat it.

The smell & wiggle test is fine for me: If it doesn't smell bad, & I can't
see anything wiggling in it without the aide of my glasses, then it's safe
to eat.

I spent a year in Thailand eating food off the street & form markets that
had unrefrigerated beef, chicken & fish. The food never bothered
me...never had a stomach ache. Of course, I spent a month in the hospital
with hepatitis, but that's another story.

Old 03-07-2004, 02:50 AM
PENMART01

"Ken"

I purchased a pack of ground beef at the grocery store, packed in the
standard styrofoam/shrink wrap package. Circumstances prevented me from
getting the beef into my refrigerator for 12 hours - it spent a fairly cool
Seattle evening in my car last night. This morning, it passed the smell
test. I'd appreciate some opinions on if the meat is good/bad.

I'd not have bought that fercocktah mystery meat in the first place... perhaps
sitting out fermenting is an improvement.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Old 03-07-2004, 03:02 AM
Mary Jo Oliver

I work in a meat department..trust me..throw it away...meat needs to be kept
at a certain temp. if it is outside that temperature for more than 2 hours
it is considered bad.
news:[email protected]_s51...

Old 03-07-2004, 08:59 AM
Ken

Whatcha do, get drunk and forget about it?

:: Nodding sheepishly ::

Thanks all for your opinions. Chucking it.

Old 03-07-2004, 09:13 AM
sf

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 16:26:23 -0500, Katra

"Vox Humana" wrote:

"Ken" wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s51...
I purchased a pack of ground beef at the grocery store, packed in the
standard styrofoam/shrink wrap package. Circumstances prevented me from
getting the beef into my refrigerator for 12 hours - it spent a fairly

cool
Seattle evening in my car last night. This morning, it passed the smell
test. I'd appreciate some opinions on if the meat is good/bad.

Pitch it. Ground meat is the most likely type of meat to be contaminated.
A week in the hospital hoping for a quick death is far more costly than a
package of ground beef.

Excellent point. ;-)
It's a point I keep having to tell my dad when I want to pitch old food
to the chickens...

IMO: if you didn't eat it by this time, toss it - but a
truly cool Seattle night would be cool enough for meat...
Worst case scenerio - it'll clean out your system, but won't
kill you (if you're healthy to begin with).

Old 03-07-2004, 10:45 PM
Scott

In article [email protected],
"Jimmy G" wrote:

If it don't stink, eat it.

The smell & wiggle test is fine for me: If it doesn't smell bad, & I can't
see anything wiggling in it without the aide of my glasses, then it's safe
to eat.

Bad advice. Massive E. coli contamination doesn't make meat smell bad.

please mail OT responses only
Old 03-07-2004, 11:26 PM
Vox Humana

"sf" wrote in message
On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 16:26:23 -0500, Katra

"Vox Humana" wrote:

"Ken" wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s51...
[...]

Who wants to be sick for several days over $2 worth of meat?

Old 04-07-2004, 02:49 AM
sf

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 22:26:12 GMT, "Vox Humana"
wrote:

Who wants to be sick for several days over $2 worth of meat?

So, why the OP if it's such a no brainer?

How would I know if ground beef is bad? Julie Bove Diabetic 60 06-10-2009 04:29 AM
Ground beef BigD43 General Cooking 1 09-02-2008 12:49 AM
Ground beef Anny Middon General Cooking 10 15-03-2006 08:38 AM
Ground Beef Enchiladas DGSwkbrg General Cooking 2 19-12-2004 04:10 AM