FoodBanter.com

-   -   Vacation discoveries (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/73774-vacation-discoveries.html)

Dimitri 08-11-2005 10:51 PM

Vacation discoveries

As some may know we vacation along the central coast of California

The house we use has a very small kitchen with a Jen-Air electric range (with
grill) and there's a standard Webber charcoal burner out back. Not wanting to
pay resort prices at the local store we stop at a Trader Joe's and an
Albertson's on the way up. The grill came in handy the first night for some
Teriyaki grilled boneless pork shoulder.

Not having a full assortment of herbs and spices one learns to improvise.
Fortunately the local stupid market does sell Mike's Chunks of Red Oak - of
Santa Maria fame.

As far as the meat was concerned the Webber did a low and slow Tri Tip, Chicken
breasts, and several racks of Baby Back Ribs - all these were done low and slow
choking off enough air so the chunks of red oak couldn't burn. The main
flavorings I used were Garlic powder, Onion powder, Paprika, cayenne pepper,
salt, some old thyme, red wine, white wine and some French Vermouth, balsamic
and EVOO. The wine and flavorings make sensational marinades.

For a few breakfasts I used steel cut oat meal a few of the mornings, one
morning I used dried cranberries, mixed in at the beginning, one morning I diced
quite a few slices of dried granny smith apples and some golden raisins. On
that morning I used 2 packets of the Instant Spiced Cider mix for a little
spice - both batches turned out quite well.

They do make a local San Louis Sour Dough Cracked Wheat bread that makes damn
good toast and sandwiches.

When I baked some potatoes one night a added another 6 medium ones. A few days
later they were a great breakfast side dish when chunked, and mixed with S&P,
fresh onion, garlic powder, balsamic & EVOO then fried. A nice complement to
the Salsa scrambled eggs with cheese.

The solids and liquid from a can of Ro-Tel will nicely spike up the basmati rice
medley. An onion and a few ounces of orange juice do quite well to a bag of
frozen French Green Beans, as does the garlic, & balsamic help the frozen
chopped spinach.

If you are ever up that way there is a very good little joint in a one horse
town called Cayucos called the Fish Shanty - they have great white clam chowder,
local fresh fish and chips (or salad) and a mud Pie to die for ( you'll need at
least 2 if not 3 people to demolish one of these slices or should I say
mountains?

Well in a bizarre set of circumstances some day maybe some of this information
will help.

Dimitri

= . . = (EastneyEnder) 08-11-2005 11:36 PM

Vacation discoveries

Dimitri wrote:

> The main
> flavorings I used were Garlic powder, Onion powder, Paprika, cayenne pepper,
> salt, some old thyme, red wine, white wine and some French Vermouth, balsamic
> and EVOO.

Just curious as I'm in the UK - what's EVOO?

> On
> that morning I used 2 packets of the Instant Spiced Cider mix for a little
> spice - both batches turned out quite well.

And what's Instant Spiced Cider mix? It sounds delicious! Would the postage
costs to the UK be astronomical if I could find a way to get some?

Sue
Portsmouth, UK
--
pen-drake location ntl-world-.-com minus hyphens.

Joseph Littleshoes 09-11-2005 12:19 AM

Vacation discoveries

= . . = (EastneyEnder) wrote:

> Dimitri wrote:
>
> > The main
> > flavorings I used were Garlic powder, Onion powder, Paprika,

> cayenne pepper,
> > salt, some old thyme, red wine, white wine and some French Vermouth,

> balsamic
> > and EVOO.

> Just curious as I'm in the UK - what's EVOO?

First time i saw that acronym i thought the person posting it was making
some sort of cryptic reference to Pan. Eeee Vaaaa Ooooo...but then i
found out it means Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

> > On
> > that morning I used 2 packets of the Instant Spiced Cider mix for a

> little
> > spice - both batches turned out quite well.

> And what's Instant Spiced Cider mix? It sounds delicious! Would the
> postage
> costs to the UK be astronomical if I could find a way to get some?

Oh im sure Harrods will have a version of it, spiced wine is a European
custom and i would be surprised if any particular major food supplier in
Britain did not carry some version of it.

Over here we have a product, a "Tea" called "Constant Comment" that is a
cinnamon based tea and very good when made with hot cider.

You might also consider looking at the concept of "Mulled wine" for
inspiration on spicing your cider. Or look for old English "punch"
recipes.
---
JL

= . . = (EastneyEnder) 09-11-2005 03:33 PM

Vacation discoveries

Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
> Oh im sure Harrods will have a version of it, spiced wine is a European
> custom and i would be surprised if any particular major food supplier in
> Britain did not carry some version of it.

Thanks Joseph, but that doesn't really answer my question... What is Instant
Cider mix?

Over here, cider is an alcoholic drink made from apples. I'm sure that's not
what the gentleman put in his morning porridge!

So I am guessing, some kind of mix made from non-alcoholic dried apple juice
and spices? If so, then we have *nothing* like it in the UK, which is why I
asked about importing it.

Sue
Portsmouth, UK
--
pen-drake location ntl-world-.-com minus hyphens.

Ophelia 09-11-2005 03:42 PM

Vacation discoveries

"= . . = (EastneyEnder)" >
wrote in message
eddie.starr...
> Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
>> Oh im sure Harrods will have a version of it, spiced wine is a
>> European
>> custom and i would be surprised if any particular major food supplier
>> in
>> Britain did not carry some version of it.

> Thanks Joseph, but that doesn't really answer my question... What is
> Instant
> Cider mix?
>
> Over here, cider is an alcoholic drink made from apples. I'm sure
> that's not
> what the gentleman put in his morning porridge!
>
> So I am guessing, some kind of mix made from non-alcoholic dried apple
> juice
> and spices? If so, then we have *nothing* like it in the UK, which is
> why I
> asked about importing it.

Sue, could it be some kind of mix to put into cider? Like the mix we
can get for Gluwein?

Dimitri 09-11-2005 03:55 PM

Vacation discoveries

"= . . = (EastneyEnder)" > wrote in
message eddie.starr...
> Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
>> Oh im sure Harrods will have a version of it, spiced wine is a European
>> custom and i would be surprised if any particular major food supplier in
>> Britain did not carry some version of it.

> Thanks Joseph, but that doesn't really answer my question... What is Instant
> Cider mix?

Take a look he

http://products.peapod.com/5070.html

add a packet to a cup of hot water - you get spiced apple cider.

Dimitri

~patches~ 09-11-2005 04:37 PM

Vacation discoveries

= . . = (EastneyEnder) wrote:

> Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
>
>>Oh im sure Harrods will have a version of it, spiced wine is a European
>>custom and i would be surprised if any particular major food supplier in
>>Britain did not carry some version of it.

> Thanks Joseph, but that doesn't really answer my question... What is Instant
> Cider mix?

Apple cider mix is a dry mix similar to hot chocolcate mix. You can buy
it by the package especially on university campuses or by the box at
some stores. There are a variety of brands. Here's a link with more info.
http://www.diamondcrystal.com/drin/drin-07.html

I keep a few packs on hand but much prefer the fresh to the mix. We can
buy fresh apple cider at the orchards or grocery stores and it tastes so
much nicer than the mix, IMO. The apple cider is non-alcoholic but can
be converted to alcoholic if you so choose and have the know-how :)

= . . = (EastneyEnder) 09-11-2005 07:55 PM

Vacation discoveries

~patches~ wrote:
> Apple cider mix is a dry mix similar to hot chocolcate mix. You can buy
> it by the package especially on university campuses or by the box at
> some stores. There are a variety of brands. Here's a link with more info.
> http://www.diamondcrystal.com/drin/drin-07.html
>
> I keep a few packs on hand but much prefer the fresh to the mix. We can
> buy fresh apple cider at the orchards or grocery stores and it tastes so
> much nicer than the mix, IMO. The apple cider is non-alcoholic but can
> be converted to alcoholic if you so choose and have the know-how :)

Thanks Patches - answered my question perfectly!

And we don't have anything like this in the UK. The nearest I can think of
is Apple Tea mix which you can buy [only] in Turkish shops (but isn't
spiced), or a "winter" spiced fruit squash [ = a liquid non-alcoholic
cordial to be diluted with water as you would do with lemonade]. Or fruit
teas (blechhh!) or possibly making my own version with apple juice from a
carton and spices (hardly instant).

If I could find a way to arrange payment, would anyone be good enough to
send me some? It's getting a bit chilly over here in the evenings and I'm on
the hunt for something nice and warming which isn't tea, coffee or hot
chocolate.

Sue
----------
Pendragon fancy rats & hamsters
Pendrake rabbits
Portsmouth, Hampshire, England UK

Joseph LIttleshoes 09-11-2005 11:43 PM

Vacation discoveries

= . . = (EastneyEnder) wrote:

> Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
> > Oh im sure Harrods will have a version of it, spiced wine is a

> European
> > custom and i would be surprised if any particular major food

> supplier in
> > Britain did not carry some version of it.

> Thanks Joseph, but that doesn't really answer my question... What is
> Instant
> Cider mix?
>
> Over here, cider is an alcoholic drink made from apples. I'm sure
> that's not
> what the gentleman put in his morning porridge!

Never can tell, Queen Victoria like a neat drop of scotch in her tea.

Over on this side of the pond there are sold packets of herbs labeled
"Cider mix" for adding to hot apple cider. I cant imagine Britain does
not have some sort of equivalent commercial product.

> So I am guessing, some kind of mix made from non-alcoholic dried apple
> juice
> and spices? If so, then we have *nothing* like it in the UK, which is
> why I
> asked about importing it.

I have seen what you are talking about but have never bought them, i
suspect it is only the herbs that would be added to the cider, next time
i am at the store i know sells it i will make a note of contents and
manufacturer.

If i were to desire to serve such a drink, Mulled wine or spiced cider i
would make it with my own herbs, hard cider (alcoholic cider) is easy to
get and some micro breweries make a very good version of it around here,
though im partial to raspberry beer.

One similar recipe i have calls for mace, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon (some
recipies add corriander) and all spice to be added to brandy, rum, and
slices of apples and left to stand for 3 days before serving.
---
JL

Nancy Young 09-11-2005 11:45 PM

Vacation discoveries

"= . . = (EastneyEnder)" > wrote

> If I could find a way to arrange payment, would anyone be good enough to
> send me some?

I'd be happy to if someone tells me the brand name. I'd hate to promise
then not be able to find it.

nancy

Joseph LIttleshoes 09-11-2005 11:46 PM

Vacation discoveries

Dimitri wrote:

> "= . . = (EastneyEnder)" >
> wrote in
> message
> eddie.starr...
> > Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
> >> Oh im sure Harrods will have a version of it, spiced wine is a

> European
> >> custom and i would be surprised if any particular major food

> supplier in
> >> Britain did not carry some version of it.

> > Thanks Joseph, but that doesn't really answer my question... What is

> Instant
> > Cider mix?

> Take a look he
>
> http://products.peapod.com/5070.html
>
> add a packet to a cup of hot water - you get spiced apple cider.
>
> Dimitri

I suppose i should throw away my boxes of Kraft mac and cheese before i
say anything, but...Ewwww...
---
JL

Dimitri 10-11-2005 12:09 AM

Vacation discoveries

"Joseph LIttleshoes" > wrote in message

<snip>

>> http://products.peapod.com/5070.html
>>
>> add a packet to a cup of hot water - you get spiced apple cider.
>>
>> Dimitri

> I suppose i should throw away my boxes of Kraft mac and cheese before i
> say anything, but...Ewwww...
> ---
> JL

Actually for sugar free with no caffeine it's not too horrid. Without question
it ain't the same as steeping a gallon of cider with an orange and a bag of
mulling spice.

Dimitri

= . . = (EastneyEnder) 10-11-2005 12:19 AM

Vacation discoveries

Nancy Young wrote:
> I'd be happy to if someone tells me the brand name. I'd hate to promise
> then not be able to find it.

That would be cool, Nancy - I think Dimitri and ~patches~ posted links:

http://www.diamondcrystal.com/drin/drin-07.html from patches
http://products.peapod.com/5070.html from Dimitri

Just one of those things that get my curiosity aroused. I'm the kind of
person who goes overseas and trawls supermarkets for unusual things and
interestingly designed packaging to bring home... Not been out of the
country for 2 years now so I am a bit starved of that novelty :))

Last trip to the US I brought home cornbread mix, black beans & rice mix (I
liked the packaging design), Chocolate Caramel Creme Lifesavers, Watermelon
Jolly Ranchers, White Chief Grits (I think that's what they were called....
certainly not the wallpaper paste instant kind), Velveeta for a vegetarian
friend, and a few packs of Zapp's Gator flavoured crisps [potato chips].

I miss travelling!!!

Sue
Portsmouth, UK
--
pen-drake location ntl-world-.-com minus hyphens.

Nancy Young 10-11-2005 12:34 AM

Vacation discoveries

"= . . = (EastneyEnder)" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:
>> I'd be happy to if someone tells me the brand name. I'd hate to promise
>> then not be able to find it.

> That would be cool, Nancy - I think Dimitri and ~patches~ posted links:

Okay, I'll give it a look and let you know when I find it. Let me know if
there's anything else you'd like.

> Last trip to the US I brought home cornbread mix, black beans & rice mix
> (I
> liked the packaging design), Chocolate Caramel Creme Lifesavers,
> Watermelon
> Jolly Ranchers, White Chief Grits (I think that's what they were
> called....
> certainly not the wallpaper paste instant kind), Velveeta for a vegetarian
> friend, and a few packs of Zapp's Gator flavoured crisps [potato chips].

That's a funny list, made me laugh. Cute.

nancy

Charles Gifford 10-11-2005 12:45 AM

Vacation discoveries

"= . . = (EastneyEnder)" > wrote

> So I am guessing, some kind of mix made from non-alcoholic dried apple

juice
> and spices? If so, then we have *nothing* like it in the UK, which is why

> asked about importing it.
>
> Sue
> Portsmouth, UK

You must not get out much. the spice mix is easily available in the U.K. In
the U.S. cider is the same as in the U.K. There is cider and hard cider. You
are either very sheltered or an idiot.

Charlie

= . . = (EastneyEnder) 10-11-2005 04:30 AM

Vacation discoveries

Charles Gifford wrote:
> You must not get out much. the spice mix is easily available in the U.K. In
> the U.S. cider is the same as in the U.K. There is cider and hard cider. You
> are either very sheltered or an idiot.

Well thanks, mate.... I'm neither.

I grew up in Somerset where cider - what YOU call HARD cider - is made. Same
place where Cheddar cheese originated, but I guess you didn't know that.
What you eat in the USA bears no relation to what has ever been made there.

10% of Americans have passports, so I am told. Considering I have travelled
in most of Europe, India and South East Asia, plus a lot of the US states,
so how much have you got out lately....?

I do know the difference. And it is not available here. Tell me where,
exactly, and I might listen.

Sorry to come across as bolshy, but if you want to have a poke at me, I'm
allowed to have a poke back.

Charles Gifford 11-11-2005 02:21 AM

Vacation discoveries

"= . . = (EastneyEnder)" > wrote
in message eddie.starr...
> Charles Gifford wrote:
> > You must not get out much. the spice mix is easily available in the U.K.

In
> > the U.S. cider is the same as in the U.K. There is cider and hard cider.

You
> > are either very sheltered or an idiot.

> Well thanks, mate.... I'm neither.

I am gratified to hear it!

> I grew up in Somerset

Somerset eh? I like Somerset. I've only been there a couple of times, but,
as I remember, it is difficult to get a decent pint of Yorkshire Bitter
there.

> where cider - what YOU call HARD cider - is made.

Cider is made everywhere there are apples. Two kinds: fresh (sometimes
called sweet) and hard (alcoholic). When I order a pint of cider in a pub I
ask for cider knowing it will be alcoholic. You must have heard someone else
call for hard cider. T'weren't me lad. <blush> I didn't know we had met
before. <blushing prettily>

> Same
> place where Cheddar cheese originated, but I guess you didn't know that.

Why wouldn't I know about Cheddar? I've been to Cheddar; I've drunk cider
there; et Cheddar there. But what does cheese have to do with my post?
While we are on the subject though, I do love a wonderful unpasturized
farmhouse Cheddar. It is too expensive to purchase often here in San Diego
though.

> What you eat in the USA bears no relation to what has ever been made

there.

Now....let me get this straight. What I eat in the US bears no relation to
what has ever been made in the U.S. I see....... But actually I was talking
about cider mix, not something to eat.

> 10% of Americans have passports, so I am told.

Who told you that? It is very interesting. Personally, I travel on an Irish
passport.

> Considering I have travelled
> in most of Europe, India and South East Asia, plus a lot of the US states,
> so how much have you got out lately....?

No much lately. I've seen some of Europe, Asia, Polynesia, Micronesia, and
South-East Asia. Oh, and Canada and Mexico too! I've not visited India, but
I have seen Greenland from an airliner window! Although I spend most of my
travel time in the U.K. and Ireland, I have seen a lot of the U.S. too. All
in all it looks like you have out pointed me here.

> I do know the difference. And it is not available here. Tell me where,
> exactly, and I might listen.

You have lost me here. You know the difference concerning what exactly? If
you want the mix, try Tesco or Aldi, I've seen it at Harrods and F&M's. I've
even seen it home-made for sale at some market days....especially during the
winter.

> Sorry to come across as bolshy, but if you want to have a poke at me, I'm
> allowed to have a poke back.

Bolshy? That's my territory comrade. You may feel free to poke me as needed.
I was a little rash in my assesment of your intelectual achievments perhaps,
so we can overlook the slight mis-steps in your recent poke. I cannot deny
that you were provoked without cause; which may have resulted such a
convoluted pokery on your part.

Charlie

Ranee Mueller 17-11-2005 12:05 AM

Vacation discoveries

In article t>,
"Charles Gifford" > wrote:

> You must not get out much. the spice mix is easily available in the U.K. In
> the U.S. cider is the same as in the U.K. There is cider and hard cider. You
> are either very sheltered or an idiot.

Yikes. Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed? This seems
unlike you.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

Ranee Mueller 17-11-2005 12:08 AM

Vacation discoveries

In article e.starr>,
"= . . = (EastneyEnder)" >
wrote:

> If I could find a way to arrange payment, would anyone be good enough to
> send me some? It's getting a bit chilly over here in the evenings and I'm on
> the hunt for something nice and warming which isn't tea, coffee or hot
> chocolate.

If you haven't worked out a deal, email me (remove do not and spam),
with your address. It is pretty inexpensive.

Nancy Young 17-11-2005 12:22 AM

Vacation discoveries

"Ranee Mueller" > wrote

> "= . . = (EastneyEnder)" >
> wrote:
>
>> If I could find a way to arrange payment, would anyone be good enough to
>> send me some? It's getting a bit chilly over here in the evenings and I'm
>> on
>> the hunt for something nice and warming which isn't tea, coffee or hot
>> chocolate.

> If you haven't worked out a deal, email me (remove do not and spam),
> with your address. It is pretty inexpensive.

I agreed to get it for her, but I haven't been able to find it ... if you
could
send it to her, that would be great. nancy