Svenco

Default NY Strip steaks, tenderizer needed?

In my opinion a NY strip steak is perfect just as it is, lightly season and
do not over cook! In fact we have them on sale here this week for 3.97lb, I
will be getting some for our 4th of July bbq.

P.

"Ignoramus31546" > wrote in message
> I bought some NY strip steaks for $3.99 per lb on sale yesterday.
>
> It looked like fresh meat, but possibly not as tender as it could be,
> just a hunch.
>
> I want to grill them.
>
> I recently bought a mechanical "meat tenderizer" that is like 16 forks
> joined together (google for "jaccard tenderizer"), that pierces
> meat. Also I bought some chemical tenderizer powder in a little
> bottle.
>
> My question is, would I benefit from, say, sprinkling over that
> chemical tenderizer, then piercing meat with the mechanical one,
> letting it stay for say 10 minutes, and THEN grilling?
>
> Would that be helpful or would it be an overkill for NY Strip steak?
>
> Or should I just grill it with usual spices?

Sprgtime

I would say, for any meat that isn't too tender... why not pressure cook it
or slow cook it?
That'll make even cheap cuts of tough meat tender.

--
Spring
LC since 1/1/04

PENMART01

> Ignoranus31546 writes:
>
>I bought some NY strip steaks for $3.99 per lb on sale yesterday.
>
>It looked like fresh meat, but possibly not as tender as it could be,
>just a hunch.
>
>I want to grill them.
>
>I recently bought a mechanical "meat tenderizer" that is like 16 forks
>joined together (google for "jaccard tenderizer"), that pierces
>meat. Also I bought some chemical tenderizer powder in a little
>bottle.
>
>My question is, would I benefit from, say, sprinkling over that
>chemical tenderizer, then piercing meat with the mechanical one,
>letting it stay for say 10 minutes, and THEN grilling?
>
>Would that be helpful or would it be an overkill for NY Strip steak?
>
>Or should I just grill it with usual spices?

Don't you have teeth? Darn dentures, eh?

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Wayne

Ignoramus31546 > wrote in
:

> In article >, Sprgtime wrote:
>> I would say, for any meat that isn't too tender... why not pressure
>> cook it or slow cook it?
>> That'll make even cheap cuts of tough meat tender.

> Well, surely I could slow cook a steak, but I think that a tender
> steak that is medium done tastes better than slow cooked meat.
>
> I just cooked a piece of brisket in a crockpot yesterday, for 15
> hours, and it was great. Flavorful and super well cooked. But, not the
> same as grilled steak.
>
> When I want to slow cook meat, I buy meat for $1.89-2.19 per lb, not
> $3.99 per lb.
>
> Steaks are for grilling, cheap tough cuts are for crockpotting. What I
> have is a steak that Iwant to grill in the best way,hence my tenderier
> question.

Why would you even need to tenderize a New York strip steak? Although,
at $3.99/pound, it is probably at best a choice cut or even select cut.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
Psychotron

Ignoramus31546 wrote:
> I bought some NY strip steaks for $3.99 per lb on sale yesterday.
>
> It looked like fresh meat, but possibly not as tender as it could be,
> just a hunch.
>
> I want to grill them.
>
> I recently bought a mechanical "meat tenderizer" that is like 16 forks
> joined together (google for "jaccard tenderizer"), that pierces
> meat. Also I bought some chemical tenderizer powder in a little
> bottle.
>
> My question is, would I benefit from, say, sprinkling over that
> chemical tenderizer, then piercing meat with the mechanical one,
> letting it stay for say 10 minutes, and THEN grilling?
>
> Would that be helpful or would it be an overkill for NY Strip steak?
>
> Or should I just grill it with usual spices?

At 3.99lb you didn't get usda prime. Don't expect it to
be too tender. You probably got usda select. Nothing
wrong with it, it's just probably very lean. That is
too cheap even for usda choice. Prime around here goes
over $10/lb.

GT

"Ignoramus31546" > wrote in message
> I bought some NY strip steaks for $3.99 per lb on sale yesterday.
>
> It looked like fresh meat, but possibly not as tender as it could be,
> just a hunch.
>
> I want to grill them.
>
> I recently bought a mechanical "meat tenderizer" that is like 16 forks
> joined together (google for "jaccard tenderizer"), that pierces
> meat. Also I bought some chemical tenderizer powder in a little
> bottle.
>
> My question is, would I benefit from, say, sprinkling over that
> chemical tenderizer, then piercing meat with the mechanical one,
> letting it stay for say 10 minutes, and THEN grilling?
>
> Would that be helpful or would it be an overkill for NY Strip steak?
>
> Or should I just grill it with usual spices?

I have never had to tenderize a NY Strip steak before (but we are spoiled by
our Alberta beef, so YMMV elsewhere). That cut of meat isn't overly tender,
but normally does not require any preparation - it is more tender than a
sirloin (typical house steak of most restaurants), but not a good as the
rib, T-bone etc. cuts. If you like your steaks marinated (though a NY
strips claim to fame is it's naturally great flavor and normally just needs
a bit of salt/pepper etc), use a liquid that also tenderizes, like beer,
wine etc.

GT

PENMART01

> "GT" poofed:
>
>"Ignoramus31546" > wrote in message
>> I bought some NY strip steaks for $3.99 per lb on sale yesterday.
>>
>> It looked like fresh meat, but possibly not as tender as it could be,
>> just a hunch.
>>
>> I want to grill them.
>>
>> I recently bought a mechanical "meat tenderizer" that is like 16 forks
>> joined together (google for "jaccard tenderizer"), that pierces
>> meat. Also I bought some chemical tenderizer powder in a little
>> bottle.
>>
>> My question is, would I benefit from, say, sprinkling over that
>> chemical tenderizer, then piercing meat with the mechanical one,
>> letting it stay for say 10 minutes, and THEN grilling?
>>
>> Would that be helpful or would it be an overkill for NY Strip steak?
>>
>> Or should I just grill it with usual spices?

>I have never had to tenderize a NY Strip steak before (but we are spoiled by
>our Alberta beef, so YMMV elsewhere). That cut of meat isn't overly tender,
>but normally does not require any preparation - it is more tender than a
>sirloin (typical house steak of most restaurants), but not a good as the
>rib, T-bone etc. cuts. If you like your steaks marinated (though a NY
>strips claim to fame is it's naturally great flavor and normally just needs
>a bit of salt/pepper etc), use a liquid that also tenderizes, like beer,
>wine etc.

What a slew of ****ing meat morons... haven't a clue what they're spouting off
about. There's no need to ever tenderize any cut from the short loin,
regardless of grade. I'm certain the *only* beef any of yoose know is
stupidmarket mystery ground.

The only time strip steak is tough is because it's over cooked - no amount of
tenderizing will compensate.

Or perhaps yoose slimely little putz nibblers need to invest in a set of
choppers.. can't always gum your meat.

New York steak
Also known as New York strip steak and shell steak, this cut of meat comes from
the most tender section of beef, the SHORT LOIN. It's the boneless top loin
muscle and is equivalent to a PORTERHOUSE steak minus tenderloin and bone.
Depending on the region, it's also marketed as Delmonico steak, Kansas City
(strip) steak, shell steak, sirloin club steak and strip steak . This tender
cut may be broiled, grilled or sautéed.

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995
based on THE FOOD LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

>sqwertz@clueless spurts:

>>Ignoranus31546 wrote:
>>
>>My question is, would I benefit from, say, sprinkling over that
>>chemical tenderizer, then piercing meat with the mechanical one,
>>letting it stay for say 10 minutes, and THEN grilling?

>Just grill/cook it. It's not going to be too tough to eat.

It will when these meat morons over cook it.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Emil

AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN
Do not cook it medium. Cook it warm pink center. It will then be at a
state that will be the most tender.
If it is not tender then don't buy anymore from where you got this.
I agree it is at the most USDA Select and maybe USDA Cutter and Canner.
It is like the old saying "You can't make a pig a princess" "You get what
you pay for"
No criticism intended. A person needs to know what they are getting. I
could not choose a Hot Tub that is best for the value I could only look at
the price and hope it is a bargain.

I do have the knowledge to know a good steak and what it should look like
raw and cooked. I may even be able to walk into a field shoot him and get
to the best parts quickly.

TGBTG

--
Emil Luca

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On 2 Jul 2004 13:09:22 GMT, Ignoramus31546
> > wrote:
>
> >My question is, would I benefit from, say, sprinkling over that
> >chemical tenderizer, then piercing meat with the mechanical one,
> >letting it stay for say 10 minutes, and THEN grilling?

> Just grill/cook it. It's not going to be too tough to eat.
>
> -sw

Peter Aitken

"Sprgtime" > wrote in message
> I would say, for any meat that isn't too tender... why not pressure cook

it
> or slow cook it?
> That'll make even cheap cuts of tough meat tender.

I hope you are joking - pressure cook a NY strip?!?!?! Gadzooks, what an
idea.

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken

"Ignoramus31546" > wrote in message
> In article >, Sprgtime wrote:
> > I would say, for any meat that isn't too tender... why not pressure cook

it
> > or slow cook it?
> > That'll make even cheap cuts of tough meat tender.

> Well, surely I could slow cook a steak, but I think that a tender
> steak that is medium done tastes better than slow cooked meat.
>
> I just cooked a piece of brisket in a crockpot yesterday, for 15
> hours, and it was great. Flavorful and super well cooked. But, not the
> same as grilled steak.
>
> When I want to slow cook meat, I buy meat for $1.89-2.19 per lb, not
> $3.99 per lb.
>
> Steaks are for grilling, cheap tough cuts are for crockpotting. What I
> have is a steak that Iwant to grill in the best way,hence my tenderier
> question.

A good NY strip is quite tender on its own. I fear that your suggested
treatment would turn it to jelly.

--
Peter Aitken

Dave Smith

GT wrote:

> > My question is, would I benefit from, say, sprinkling over that
> > chemical tenderizer, then piercing meat with the mechanical one,
> > letting it stay for say 10 minutes, and THEN grilling?
> >
> > Would that be helpful or would it be an overkill for NY Strip steak?
> >
> > Or should I just grill it with usual spices?

> I have never had to tenderize a NY Strip steak before (but we are spoiled by
> our Alberta beef, so YMMV elsewhere). That cut of meat isn't overly tender,
> but normally does not require any preparation - it is more tender than a
> sirloin (typical house steak of most restaurants), but not a good as the
> rib, T-bone etc. cuts. If you like your steaks marinated (though a NY
> strips claim to fame is it's naturally great flavor and normally just needs
> a bit of salt/pepper etc), use a liquid that also tenderizes, like beer,
> wine etc.

I never buy NY strip steaks because my experience is that they tend to be
tough and flavourless. I think they are more tender and tasty if marinated for a
few hours. I have no problem with marinating cheap cuts of meat, to soften them
up and give them some flavour, but I don't think that you should have to do that
with the more expensive cuts of beef.

Gene

What;s the difference between a t-bone & a porterhouse ? size ?

netstat -an

"GT" > wrote in message
> "Ignoramus31546" > wrote in message
> > I bought some NY strip steaks for $3.99 per lb on sale yesterday.
> >
> > It looked like fresh meat, but possibly not as tender as it could be,
> > just a hunch.
> >
> > I want to grill them.
> >
> > I recently bought a mechanical "meat tenderizer" that is like 16 forks
> > joined together (google for "jaccard tenderizer"), that pierces
> > meat. Also I bought some chemical tenderizer powder in a little
> > bottle.
> >
> > My question is, would I benefit from, say, sprinkling over that
> > chemical tenderizer, then piercing meat with the mechanical one,
> > letting it stay for say 10 minutes, and THEN grilling?
> >
> > Would that be helpful or would it be an overkill for NY Strip steak?
> >
> > Or should I just grill it with usual spices?

> I have never had to tenderize a NY Strip steak before (but we are spoiled

by
> our Alberta beef, so YMMV elsewhere). That cut of meat isn't overly

tender,
> but normally does not require any preparation - it is more tender than a
> sirloin (typical house steak of most restaurants), but not a good as the
> rib, T-bone etc. cuts. If you like your steaks marinated (though a NY
> strips claim to fame is it's naturally great flavor and normally just

needs
> a bit of salt/pepper etc), use a liquid that also tenderizes, like beer,
> wine etc.
>
> GT

My favorite strip steak marinade is 1/2 c worcestershire, 1/2c soy sauce, a
little dry mustard, and a chopped scallion. Just for flavor, not for
tenderizing.
NY strip is pretty tender, and here it's 5.99-7.99/lb on sale.

Psychotron

Ignoramus31546 wrote:
> In article >, Psychotron wrote:
>
>>At 3.99lb you didn't get usda prime. Don't expect it to
>>be too tender. You probably got usda select. Nothing
>>wrong with it, it's just probably very lean.

> Yep. That's sensible.
>

>>That is too cheap even for usda choice. Prime around here goes over
>>$10/lb.

> And your suggestion regarding tenderizing is?

....just to buy prime next time.

Carmen

Hi,
On 2-Jul-2004, "Gene" > wrote:

> What;s the difference between a t-bone & a porterhouse ? size ?

Pictures and text. Enjoy! :-)

http://www.bbqu.net/103.html

Take care,
Carmen
Psychotron

Gene wrote:

> What;s the difference between a t-bone & a porterhouse ? size ?

the size of the tenderloin

jamie

Ignoramus31546 > wrote:
> I recently bought a mechanical "meat tenderizer" that is like 16 forks
> joined together (google for "jaccard tenderizer"), that pierces
> meat. Also I bought some chemical tenderizer powder in a little
> bottle.
>
> My question is, would I benefit from, say, sprinkling over that
> chemical tenderizer, then piercing meat with the mechanical one,
> letting it stay for say 10 minutes, and THEN grilling?
>
> Would that be helpful or would it be an overkill for NY Strip steak?
>
> Or should I just grill it with usual spices?

I usually push on them with my thumb to see if they're tender enough
to not tenderize. NY strip usually needs tenderizing, IMO, although
that may be because I only buy them on sale, and the sale ones may be
less tender. I pound them thoroughly on both sides with the edge of
a saucer, to somewhat break up the fibers, and push them back into
the thickest position to grill. I don't care for what papain meat
tenderizer does to the texture of meat.

--
jamie )

"There's a seeker born every minute."

Peter Aitken

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> GT wrote:
>
> > > My question is, would I benefit from, say, sprinkling over that
> > > chemical tenderizer, then piercing meat with the mechanical one,
> > > letting it stay for say 10 minutes, and THEN grilling?
> > >
> > > Would that be helpful or would it be an overkill for NY Strip steak?
> > >
> > > Or should I just grill it with usual spices?

> > I have never had to tenderize a NY Strip steak before (but we are

spoiled by
> > our Alberta beef, so YMMV elsewhere). That cut of meat isn't overly

tender,
> > but normally does not require any preparation - it is more tender than a
> > sirloin (typical house steak of most restaurants), but not a good as the
> > rib, T-bone etc. cuts. If you like your steaks marinated (though a NY
> > strips claim to fame is it's naturally great flavor and normally just

needs
> > a bit of salt/pepper etc), use a liquid that also tenderizes, like beer,
> > wine etc.

> I never buy NY strip steaks because my experience is that they tend to

be
> tough and flavourless. I think they are more tender and tasty if marinated

for a
> few hours. I have no problem with marinating cheap cuts of meat, to soften

them
> up and give them some flavour, but I don't think that you should have to

do that
> with the more expensive cuts of beef.

This suggests that you need a new source of meat. I am one of many people
who find good NY Strips among the best steaks. But any cut will be tough and
tasteless if it is poor quality.

--
Peter Aitken

jmcquown

Ignoramus31546 wrote:
> I bought some NY strip steaks for $3.99 per lb on sale yesterday.
>
> It looked like fresh meat, but possibly not as tender as it could be,
> just a hunch.
>
> I want to grill them.

You don't say how thick the steaks are. This is definitely a factor IMO. I
can guarantee I never bought a prime cut from the grocery store. They were
choice cut, IIRC. At least 1 inch thick and had a nice fat ring around the
outside. I cooked mine in a cast iron skillet on the stove but I sure
wouldn't hesitate to do them on a grill. Brushed with a little olive oil to
which I'd added a couple of cloves of minced garlic and salt and peppered
the steaks. Cooked them to no more than medium rare and they were
absolutely tender.

No chemical tenderizers required. Sure, you can poke them with the fork
gadget if you want; it can't hurt

Jill

Nancy Young

Psychotron wrote:

> Ignoramus31546 wrote:
> > In article >, Psychotron wrote:
> >
> >>At 3.99lb you didn't get usda prime. Don't expect it to
> >>be too tender. You probably got usda select. Nothing
> >>wrong with it, it's just probably very lean.

> > Yep. That's sensible.

> >>That is too cheap even for usda choice. Prime around here goes over
> >>$10/lb.

> > And your suggestion regarding tenderizing is?

> ...just to buy prime next time.

Well, I don't know where you live, but around here, restaurants get
all the prime meat. Besides, you still didn't answer the person's
question, next time doesn't help now.

nancy
Frenchy

"Ignoramus31546" > wrote in message
> I bought some NY strip steaks for $3.99 per lb on sale yesterday.
>
> It looked like fresh meat, but possibly not as tender as it could be,
> just a hunch.
>
> I want to grill them.
>
> I recently bought a mechanical "meat tenderizer" that is like 16 forks
> joined together (google for "jaccard tenderizer"), that pierces
> meat. Also I bought some chemical tenderizer powder in a little
> bottle.
>
> My question is, would I benefit from, say, sprinkling over that
> chemical tenderizer, then piercing meat with the mechanical one,
> letting it stay for say 10 minutes, and THEN grilling?
>
> Would that be helpful or would it be an overkill for NY Strip steak?
>
> Or should I just grill it with usual spices?

Lay some sliced Kiwi Fruit on and under it for a few hours. Makes for a
wonderful tenderiser

Frenchy

Dave Smith

Peter Aitken wrote:

> > I never buy NY strip steaks because my experience is that they tend to

> be
> > tough and flavourless. I think they are more tender and tasty if marinated

> for a
> > few hours. I have no problem with marinating cheap cuts of meat, to soften

> them
> > up and give them some flavour, but I don't think that you should have to

> do that
> > with the more expensive cuts of beef.
> >

> This suggests that you need a new source of meat. I am one of many people
> who find good NY Strips among the best steaks. But any cut will be tough and
> tasteless if it is poor quality.

I buy filets, Tbone and porterhouse steaks and prime ribs roasts from the same
butcher. I can't imagine that his New York Strips would always be of lower
quality than the other cuts, which are usually pretty good. I have had them in
restaurants. Not bad if marinated, and it helps to use a steak knife so that you
can cut them into thin slices to deal with the tougher texture.

Charles Demas

In article >,
Ignoramus31546 > wrote:
>In article >, jamie wrote:
>> Ignoramus31546 > wrote:
>>> I recently bought a mechanical "meat tenderizer" that is like 16 forks
>>> joined together (google for "jaccard tenderizer"), that pierces
>>> meat. Also I bought some chemical tenderizer powder in a little
>>> bottle.
>>>
>>> My question is, would I benefit from, say, sprinkling over that
>>> chemical tenderizer, then piercing meat with the mechanical one,
>>> letting it stay for say 10 minutes, and THEN grilling?
>>>
>>> Would that be helpful or would it be an overkill for NY Strip steak?
>>>
>>> Or should I just grill it with usual spices?

>> I usually push on them with my thumb to see if they're tender enough
>> to not tenderize. NY strip usually needs tenderizing, IMO, although
>> that may be because I only buy them on sale, and the sale ones may be
>> less tender. I pound them thoroughly on both sides with the edge of
>> a saucer, to somewhat break up the fibers, and push them back into
>> the thickest position to grill. I don't care for what papain meat
>> tenderizer does to the texture of meat.
>>

>Thanks Jamie. I think that I will use the mechanical gadget. Maybe I
>will try also the chemical tenderizer on one steak, just to see.

I suggest you try one with no processing to use as a standard for
comparison.

Please let us know how you find the results match your taste.

Chuck Demas

--
Eat Healthy | _ _ | Nothing would be done at all,
Stay Fit | @ @ | If a man waited to do it so well,
| \___/ | http://world.std.com/~cpd
byakee

One dark day on Usenet, "Emil" > said:

<snip>

> Do not cook it medium. Cook it warm pink center.

Isn't "warm pink center" the same as medium?

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
(COLD to HOT for e-mail)

Venger

"Ignoramus31546" > wrote in message
> I bought some NY strip steaks for $3.99 per lb on sale yesterday.
>
> It looked like fresh meat, but possibly not as tender as it could be,
> just a hunch.
>
> I want to grill them.
>
> I recently bought a mechanical "meat tenderizer" that is like 16 forks
> joined together (google for "jaccard tenderizer"), that pierces
> meat. Also I bought some chemical tenderizer powder in a little
> bottle.

Dear Lord, step away from the meat...

> My question is, would I benefit from, say, sprinkling over that
> chemical tenderizer,

What do you think chemical tenderizer does to YOUR meat?

> then piercing meat with the mechanical one,
> letting it stay for say 10 minutes, and THEN grilling?
>
> Would that be helpful or would it be an overkill for NY Strip steak?
>
> Or should I just grill it with usual spices?

Rub it in olive oil, salt and pepper, allow to reach room temperature,
chargrill medium rare, enjoy.

Venger

Peter Aitken

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> Peter Aitken wrote:
>

> > > I never buy NY strip steaks because my experience is that they tend

> > be
> > > tough and flavourless. I think they are more tender and tasty if

marinated
> > for a
> > > few hours. I have no problem with marinating cheap cuts of meat, to

soften
> > them
> > > up and give them some flavour, but I don't think that you should have

> > do that
> > > with the more expensive cuts of beef.
> > >

> > This suggests that you need a new source of meat. I am one of many

people
> > who find good NY Strips among the best steaks. But any cut will be tough

and
> > tasteless if it is poor quality.

> I buy filets, Tbone and porterhouse steaks and prime ribs roasts from the

same
> butcher. I can't imagine that his New York Strips would always be of lower
> quality than the other cuts, which are usually pretty good. I have had

them in
> restaurants. Not bad if marinated, and it helps to use a steak knife so

that you
> can cut them into thin slices to deal with the tougher texture.

Isn't a NY strip the larger portion of both T-bones and porterhouses? Unless
I am wrong, this pokes a big hole in your argument. And why would you buy
meat from a butcher where things are "pretty good?" If I found my experience
differeing from the generally accepted opinion about steaks, and the
opinions of many other foodies, I would think there was something amiss with
my experience before I concluded that everyone else was wrong.

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken

Aitken wrote:

> > Isn't a NY strip the larger portion of both T-bones and

> T bone has a bone (duh), but NY strip does not.

Oh save your duhs! If you cut the larger part off a T-bone or porterhouse it
is called a NY strip. Get it?

--
Peter Aitken

Bob (this one)

Ignoramus31546 wrote:

> Okay, I got the drift... I will experiment a bit though. Maybe I will
> tenderize one steak mechanically, and another, mechanically and
> chemically. I have the total of five steaks.

Either and both methods of tenderizing will cost you juices. Cutting
into cells lets out the liquids. Chemical tenderizing digests the cell
walls and lets out the juices.

One is bad enough. Two is culinary death for the steaks.

At the price you paid for that meat, count on its being select grade.
Cook it fast and hot to no more than medium rare (warm red center) if
you want to chew it all today.

Pastorio

Bob (this one)

byakee wrote:

> One dark day on Usenet, "Emil" > said:
>
> <snip>
>
>>Do not cook it medium. Cook it warm pink center.

> Isn't "warm pink center" the same as medium?

Exactly the same.

Pastorio

Saerah

Dave Smith wrote in message >...
>Peter Aitken wrote:
>

>> > I never buy NY strip steaks because my experience is that they tend

>> be
>> > tough and flavourless. I think they are more tender and tasty if

marinated
>> for a
>> > few hours. I have no problem with marinating cheap cuts of meat, to

soften
>> them
>> > up and give them some flavour, but I don't think that you should have

>> do that
>> > with the more expensive cuts of beef.
>> >

>> This suggests that you need a new source of meat. I am one of many people
>> who find good NY Strips among the best steaks. But any cut will be tough

and
>> tasteless if it is poor quality.

>I buy filets, Tbone and porterhouse steaks and prime ribs roasts from the

same
>butcher. I can't imagine that his New York Strips would always be of lower
>quality than the other cuts, which are usually pretty good. I have had

them in
>restaurants. Not bad if marinated, and it helps to use a steak knife so

that you
>can cut them into thin slices to deal with the tougher texture.

If the t-bones and porterhouses are ok, the
NY strip should be, too. i dont get it.

--
saerah

TANSTAAFL

"jesus died for somebody's sins but not mine
meltin' in a pot of thieves
wild card up my sleeve
thick heart of stone
my sins my own
they belong to me, me

people say "beware!"
but I don't care
the words are just
rules and regulations to me, me"
- patti smith

Saerah

Emil wrote in message ...
>AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN
>Do not cook it medium. Cook it warm pink center. It will then be at a
>state that will be the most tender.
>If it is not tender then don't buy anymore from where you got this.
>I agree it is at the most USDA Select and maybe USDA Cutter and Canner.
>It is like the old saying "You can't make a pig a princess" "You get what
>you pay for"

im not sure i understand why people are arguing this point. don't the
supermarkets near y'all have these things called *sales*?

>No criticism intended. A person needs to know what they are getting. I
>could not choose a Hot Tub that is best for the value I could only look at
>the price and hope it is a bargain.
>
>I do have the knowledge to know a good steak and what it should look like
>raw and cooked. I may even be able to walk into a field shoot him and get
>to the best parts quickly.
>
>TGBTG
>

>--
>Emil Luca
>
>"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
>> On 2 Jul 2004 13:09:22 GMT, Ignoramus31546
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >My question is, would I benefit from, say, sprinkling over that
>> >chemical tenderizer, then piercing meat with the mechanical one,
>> >letting it stay for say 10 minutes, and THEN grilling?

>> Just grill/cook it. It's not going to be too tough to eat.
>>
>> -sw

Lee Rodgers

alt.support.diet.low-carb,
rec.food.cooking
crosspost removed posted to asdlc only

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 22:09:28 -0400, "Saerah"
> wrote:
>im not sure i understand why people are arguing this point. don't the
>supermarkets near y'all have these things called *sales*?

Thank you. There is also that invention called a freezer that goes
along with those "sales".

And a general holler out to those folks who keep ruining good steaks
cooking them in a skillet. Broilers are in your oven for a reason.
Learn to use them if you're not grilling those steaks. Oh and to
whomever it was that suggested pressure cooking a New York steak,
please sell your computer before you hurt yourself.
Lee Rodgers
Lowcarb Retreat http://www.lowcarb.org
CHAT http://www.lowcarb.org/parachat.html
Wayne

Ignoramus31546 > wrote in
:

> In article >, Wayne wrote:
>> Ignoramus31546 > wrote in
>> :

>>> Well, surely I could slow cook a steak, but I think that a tender
>>> steak that is medium done tastes better than slow cooked meat.
>>>
>>> I just cooked a piece of brisket in a crockpot yesterday, for 15
>>> hours, and it was great. Flavorful and super well cooked. But, not
>>> the same as grilled steak.
>>>
>>> When I want to slow cook meat, I buy meat for $1.89-2.19 per lb, not
>>> $3.99 per lb.
>>>
>>> Steaks are for grilling, cheap tough cuts are for crockpotting. What
>>> I have is a steak that Iwant to grill in the best way,hence my
>>> tenderier question.

>> Why would you even need to tenderize a New York strip steak?
>> Although, at $3.99/pound, it is probably at best a choice cut or even
>> select cut.
>>

> Are you saying that a choice cut or select cut do not need
> tenderization?

Choice cut would likely not need it. Select cut almost assuredly would.
I would opt for the tenderizer thingy you bought. I think the enzyme
tenderizers, although a natural product, usually leave the meat with a
somewhat "mushy" texture. Not at all palatable to me.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
Bill

On 2 Jul 2004 13:09:22 GMT, Ignoramus31546
> wrote:

>I bought some NY strip steaks for $3.99 per lb on sale yesterday.
>
>It looked like fresh meat, but possibly not as tender as it could be,
>just a hunch.
>
>I want to grill them.
>
>I recently bought a mechanical "meat tenderizer" that is like 16 forks
>joined together (google for "jaccard tenderizer"), that pierces
>meat. Also I bought some chemical tenderizer powder in a little
>bottle.
>
>My question is, would I benefit from, say, sprinkling over that
>chemical tenderizer, then piercing meat with the mechanical one,
>letting it stay for say 10 minutes, and THEN grilling?
>
>Would that be helpful or would it be an overkill for NY Strip steak?
>
>Or should I just grill it with usual spices?

I Googled and found Jaccard's website which has an interesting video
demonstrating their mechanical meat tenderizer. It's looks like it
works well...what is your impression of it? Did it make your steak so
tender you can cut it with a fork?

http://www.jaccard.com/video1.asp

Regards,
Bill

dejablues

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
. com...
> "Ignoramus31546" > wrote in message
> > In article >, Peter

> Aitken wrote:
> >
> > > Isn't a NY strip the larger portion of both T-bones and

> > T bone has a bone (duh), but NY strip does not.
> >

> Oh save your duhs! If you cut the larger part off a T-bone or porterhouse

it
> is called a NY strip. Get it?
>

> --
> Peter Aitken

Yup. This downloadable beef cut chart is very useful:
http://www.beef.org/dsp/dsp_location...?locationId=24

Peter Aitken

"Lee Rodgers" > wrote in message
> alt.support.diet.low-carb,
> rec.food.cooking
> crosspost removed posted to asdlc only
>
> On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 22:09:28 -0400, "Saerah"
> > wrote:
> >im not sure i understand why people are arguing this point. don't the
> >supermarkets near y'all have these things called *sales*?
> >

> Thank you. There is also that invention called a freezer that goes
> along with those "sales".
>
> And a general holler out to those folks who keep ruining good steaks
> cooking them in a skillet. Broilers are in your oven for a reason.
> Learn to use them if you're not grilling those steaks. Oh and to
> whomever it was that suggested pressure cooking a New York steak,
> please sell your computer before you hurt yourself.
> Lee Rodgers
> Lowcarb Retreat http://www.lowcarb.org
> CHAT http://www.lowcarb.org/parachat.html

No no no no! A skillet is the second best way to cook a steak, after a
grill. Cast iron is by far the best type of pan. Have the meat at room temp
and patted dry with paper towels. Rub the pan with a piece of fat trimmed
from the steak or some veg oil, then heat to very hot (fat should be smoking
a little). Sear one side then turn the steak over and place the skillet in a
hot (450-500) oven until done. Remove to platter and let site at least 5
minutes before serving.

--
Peter Aitken

jamie

Lee Rodgers > wrote:
> And a general holler out to those folks who keep ruining good steaks
> cooking them in a skillet. Broilers are in your oven for a reason.
> Learn to use them if you're not grilling those steaks.

I know how to use a broiler -- I grew up on broiled steak and chicken,
in the Boston area, where it was too cold and/or windy to use a grill
most of the year.

After trying a method suggested in this group several years ago,
I've concluded that a cast iron skillet heated very, very hot yields
a result more like a BBQ grilled steak than the broiler does. It does
smoke up the kitchen quite a bit, though. We did it that way for a
couple of years, when our previous apartment complex outlawed grills
on the patios.