TonyK

Default Tips for making pasta?

Hi

Amongst other things I got a pasta machine as one of my birthday presents.
Always wanted to have a go a making pasta.

Anyone got any tips? I assume you work as quickly as you can moving down the
thicknessess as you go etc. What about mixes, ie. flour to egg ratio etc?

TIA

Tony

Peter Aitken

"TonyK" > wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Amongst other things I got a pasta machine as one of my birthday presents.
> Always wanted to have a go a making pasta.
>
> Anyone got any tips? I assume you work as quickly as you can moving down

the
> thicknessess as you go etc. What about mixes, ie. flour to egg ratio etc?
>
> TIA
>
> Tony

I assume it came with instructions - that's the best place to start.

--
Peter Aitken

TonyK

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
. com...
> "TonyK" > wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > Amongst other things I got a pasta machine as one of my birthday

presents.
> > Always wanted to have a go a making pasta.
> >
> > Anyone got any tips? I assume you work as quickly as you can moving down

> the
> > thicknessess as you go etc. What about mixes, ie. flour to egg ratio

etc?

> > TIA
> >
> > Tony
> >

> I assume it came with instructions - that's the best place to start.

Actually, no. Hence the post ;-)

Frogleg

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 12:41:46 +0100, "TonyK" >
wrote:

>Amongst other things I got a pasta machine as one of my birthday presents.
>Always wanted to have a go a making pasta.

From 'Julia Child & Company'

Makes enough for 8 servings or 2 boxes of commercial egg noodles

1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 (US Grade) "Large" eggs
2 to 4 Tblsp cold water

Put flour in a bowl. Make a well in the center and break in the eggs;
blend then with 2 Tblsp of the water and gradudally mix in the
surrounding flour. Blend vigorously to make a stiff dough; turn out
onto a work surface and knead vigorously with the heel of your hand,
adding droplets more water to unblended bits.

OR

Put flour, eggs, & 2 Tblsp water in a food processor. Blend (with
metal cutting blade) until the dough forms a ball or until it can be
pressed together in a mass (or sprinkle a little bit water). Remove
from machine and knead to blend. Dough should be firm. If soft or
sticky, knead in a sprinkling of flour.

JC's Remarks:
"...your own experience will guide you, eventually, but don't be
afraid of the dough. Not much can go wrong as long as it is stiff and
dry enough to pass through the kneading and cutting rollers of your
machine. Tenderness and exquisiteness of texture can come later and
will be part of your own particular secret genius with the noodle."

Dough can rest for half an hour, but cover with plastic wrap to
prevent a crust forming. Cut dough in half (cover remaining half with
plastic wrap). Flatten dough into a hand-size cake and pinch one end
to feed through rollers at widest opening. Crank it through; fold it
in half; and repeat several times 'til dough is smooth and fairly
rectangular. Brush dough lightly with flour if it looks like it might
be thinking about sticking. Now try the next lower setting and crank
it through; lower setting and crank; etc. Julia says setting #4 is
usually good for noodles. By this time, you will have had to cut the
dough in half and crank in separate pieces. Hang dough on a broom
handle to dry *briefly* -- 4-5 minutes. Then crank dough through
cutters. Cook in a large amount of boiling, salted water for a very
brief time -- 2-3 minutes -- fresh noodles cook quickly.

As Julia says, don't be afraid of it and don't expect it to be perfect
at first. It's really a lot easier to do than describe. If course,
it's a *lot* easier if you have a helper or 3 hands.

>I assume you work as quickly as you can

Why?
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "TonyK"
> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Amongst other things I got a pasta machine as one of my birthday
> presents. Always wanted to have a go a making pasta.
>
> Anyone got any tips? I assume you work as quickly as you can moving
> down the thicknessess as you go etc. What about mixes, ie. flour to
> egg ratio etc?

> TIA
>
> Tony

I use 1 egg to 1 cup all purpose flour, plus water.
Mix the flour and egg/s in a food processor until it's mealy-looking,
then dribble in water until it starts looking like couscous and can be
*pressed* together to look like dough. Press it all together into a
ball and let it rest, covered, for a least 30 minutes. It will be very
stiff dough. Cut off a piece and roll it out to about 1/8" thickness
before passing through pasta machine rollers. Roll to desired thinness
then pass through cutter blades.

I am partial to my way of doing this because I make dried egg noodles
every winter to last the year. The very stiff dough at the outset means
that the noodles dry fast for long term storage. I don't use the
machine to make long spaghetti noodles -- I use DeCecco.

Working "as quickly as you can" is not a concern. (Why did you think it
would be? Color me Curious)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 7/4/04.