FoodBanter.com

-   -   Cigarettes and Alcohol Addiction (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/73589-cigarettes-alcohol-addiction.html)

Arnold 06-11-2005 10:19 PM

Cigarettes and Alcohol Addiction

Anyone managed to give up cigarettes and alcohol and never looked back?

If so, I would be interested to know the techniques you used, coz I am
struggling with 'will power'!

Ward Abbott 06-11-2005 10:44 PM

On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 21:19:01 -0000, "Arnold" > wrote:

>Anyone managed to give up cigarettes and alcohol and never looked back?
>
>If so, I would be interested to know the techniques you used, coz I am
>struggling with 'will power'!

CHOOSE ONE addiction at a time. No one can do both at the same time.
My personal formula was to say, "I choose not to smoke". I didn't
deprive myself of anything.

You need to put this in the positive instead of saying....I can't have
a cigarette.

A little helper...no pepper, no spicy foods and change your behavior.
If you always had to have a cigarette while talking on the
phone....then it is time to go for a "healthy" walk.

kilikini 06-11-2005 10:47 PM

"Ward Abbott" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 21:19:01 -0000, "Arnold" > wrote:
>
> >Anyone managed to give up cigarettes and alcohol and never looked back?
> >
> >If so, I would be interested to know the techniques you used, coz I am
> >struggling with 'will power'!
> >

> CHOOSE ONE addiction at a time. No one can do both at the same time.
> My personal formula was to say, "I choose not to smoke". I didn't
> deprive myself of anything.
>
> You need to put this in the positive instead of saying....I can't have
> a cigarette.
>
> A little helper...no pepper, no spicy foods and change your behavior.
> If you always had to have a cigarette while talking on the
> phone....then it is time to go for a "healthy" walk.

I just walked away from cigarettes and never looked back, but then, I drink,
so........

kili

Arnold 06-11-2005 11:02 PM

Cigarettes and Alcohol Addiction

For me the two are closely related, I smoke a hell of a lot more when
drinking.

I agree with the positive approach whereby you feel that you are not giving
up something, but more like convincing yourself that 'I don't want to
smoke/drink anymore'. The problem is I love it. Although, I can see why
people thing that smokers and drinkers are just nuts and I agree!

I don't need a cigarette when on the phone, but I love spicy foods. Just
out of interest, why did you mention spicy foods?

sf 06-11-2005 11:07 PM

Cigarettes and Alcohol Addiction

On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 21:19:01 -0000, Arnold wrote:

> Anyone managed to give up cigarettes and alcohol and never looked back?
>
> If so, I would be interested to know the techniques you used, coz I am
> struggling with 'will power'!

I think giving up cigarettes will be harder than giving up alcohol.
Nicotine is an extremely addictive substance!
http://www.ash.org.uk/html/factsheets/html/fact09.html
http://www.americanheart.org/present...dentifier=4753

Good Luck and keep yourself going with this:
http://www.quitmeter.com/

Arnold 06-11-2005 11:08 PM

Cigarettes and Alcohol Addiction

Wow "kilikini", that's amazing. There must have been some motivation behind
this?

om...

OmManiPadmeOmelet 06-11-2005 11:17 PM

Cigarettes and Alcohol Addiction

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> "Ward Abbott" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 21:19:01 -0000, "Arnold" > wrote:
> >
> > >Anyone managed to give up cigarettes and alcohol and never looked back?
> > >
> > >If so, I would be interested to know the techniques you used, coz I am
> > >struggling with 'will power'!
> > >

> > CHOOSE ONE addiction at a time. No one can do both at the same time.
> > My personal formula was to say, "I choose not to smoke". I didn't
> > deprive myself of anything.
> >
> > You need to put this in the positive instead of saying....I can't have
> > a cigarette.
> >
> > A little helper...no pepper, no spicy foods and change your behavior.
> > If you always had to have a cigarette while talking on the
> > phone....then it is time to go for a "healthy" walk.
> >

> I just walked away from cigarettes and never looked back, but then, I drink,
> so........
>
> kili

I've never smoked, but I do drink and it was getting out of hand at one
point. I found that the more I obsessed about it, the worse it got and
the more I drank.

I finally quit worrying about and decided to go back to enjoying it.
My liver enzyme levels are now all back in normal range. Once I quit
worrying about it and obsessing about it, I was able to get it under
control... Now it's not killing me anymore and I can enjoy it again.

Hope that helps?
--
Om.

Ward Abbott 06-11-2005 11:23 PM

On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 22:02:04 -0000, "Arnold" > wrote:

>I don't need a cigarette when on the phone, but I love spicy foods. Just
>out of interest, why did you mention spicy foods?

You have routines that "require" you to smoke. You MUST change that
behavior.

Spicy foods trigger nicotine cravings. You need to alter your diet
at the same time you alter your behavior. BUT DON"T try to stop
drinking at the same time. You can only handle one at a time. They
say that smoking is the more difficult thing to stop....but I believe
alcohol is more crippling.

~patches~ 06-11-2005 11:24 PM

Arnold wrote:

> Anyone managed to give up cigarettes and alcohol and never looked back?
>
> If so, I would be interested to know the techniques you used, coz I am
> struggling with 'will power'!

When I was dating DH eons ago, I dabbled in smoking. Back then it was a
cool thing to do. DH then current fiance hated everything about smoking
and would regularly destroy whole packs of my cigarettes. At that time
they were about $2 a pack. I decided the hassles and the cost of wasted
cigarettes were not worth it and besides I was head over hills in love
with him. I gave up the cigarettes and we've had peace & harmony ever
since - at least on the smoking issue ;) To this day we don't even
allow smoking in our house. I've never regretted quitting smoking. We
have always used alcohol in moderation and I cook with a variety of
alcohols. As a female, I am very careful to stay within the Canadian
safe guidelines to alcohol consumption. It wouldn't bother me to go
without drinking alcohol. It would bother me more to go without using
alcohol in certain dishes but if I had to I would.

Do you mind if I ask you if you are struggling with one or the other or
both? The thing is with either it is not just about will power as there
are physical withdrawl symptoms to deal with. There are several herbs
that will help with either or both. Camomile will help curb the
jitters, anxiety, and overall restlessness from either withdrawl. Milk
thistle should be used by anyone who consumes alcohol regardless of how
much. There are other herbs that will help, just do a google search.
If you are/were a heavy alcohol consumer, alcohol abuser, or alcoholic
you should seek medical help before quitting as there can be serious
side effects. You will also need proper assessment of nutritional
deficits. If you were just drinking more than you were comfortable
with, vit B especially thiamine is recommended as is zinc. A proper,
healthy diet rich in fruits & veggies is recommended for overcoming
either addiction. Other vitamins are recommended especially the
anti-oxidants and vit E. A higher carb, lower protein is recommended
for overcoming alcohol addiction. Caffeine should be avoided or
eliminated during withdrawl as caffeine is a drug itself and will
increase the anxiety. However if you are a heavy coffee or tea drinker,
suddenly eliminating that will cause another set of withdrawl symptoms.
There is a lot of info on the web to help you with this.

kilikini 06-11-2005 11:26 PM

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 21:19:01 -0000, Arnold wrote:
>
> > Anyone managed to give up cigarettes and alcohol and never looked back?
> >
> > If so, I would be interested to know the techniques you used, coz I am
> > struggling with 'will power'!
> >

> I think giving up cigarettes will be harder than giving up alcohol.
> Nicotine is an extremely addictive substance!

Nope, for me it's alcohol. I gave up a nicotine and actually <gasp!>
cocaine habit with no problems, no looking back. Alcohol I need for daily
survival. I discovered back in high school as the major smart geek, that if
I drank, I acquired a sense of humor which, thusly, accrued friends. I
don't leave home without it.

kili <-----functional alcoholic and not ashamed of it

TFM® 06-11-2005 11:26 PM

Arnold wrote:
> Anyone managed to give up cigarettes and alcohol and never looked back?
>
> If so, I would be interested to know the techniques you used, coz I am
> struggling with 'will power'!

Quitters never win!

But seriously, I gave up cigarettes hundreds of times.

Never thought about quitting drinking. It makes everyone else so
interesting.

TFM®

kilikini 06-11-2005 11:27 PM

"Arnold" > wrote in message
> Wow "kilikini", that's amazing. There must have been some motivation

behind
> this?

Money factor, maybe. I smoked on and off for 20 years, 2 packs a day and
decided enough was enough. I wanted more money for beer. So, I quit and
haven't looked back since. Don't miss it a bit.

kili

kilikini 06-11-2005 11:28 PM

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "kilikini" > wrote:

back?

am

> > > CHOOSE ONE addiction at a time. No one can do both at the same time.
> > > My personal formula was to say, "I choose not to smoke". I didn't
> > > deprive myself of anything.
> > >
> > > You need to put this in the positive instead of saying....I can't have
> > > a cigarette.
> > >
> > > A little helper...no pepper, no spicy foods and change your behavior.
> > > If you always had to have a cigarette while talking on the
> > > phone....then it is time to go for a "healthy" walk.
> > >

> > I just walked away from cigarettes and never looked back, but then, I

drink,
> > so........
> >
> > kili

> I've never smoked, but I do drink and it was getting out of hand at one
> point. I found that the more I obsessed about it, the worse it got and
> the more I drank.
>
> I finally quit worrying about and decided to go back to enjoying it.
> My liver enzyme levels are now all back in normal range. Once I quit
> worrying about it and obsessing about it, I was able to get it under
> control... Now it's not killing me anymore and I can enjoy it again.
>
> Hope that helps?
> --

Take your milk thistle, drink all you want and don't obsess over it. That's
my rule.

kili

kilikini 06-11-2005 11:34 PM

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote in message
> "Arnold" > looking for trouble wrote in
> :
>
> > Anyone managed to give up cigarettes and alcohol and never looked back?
> >
> > If so, I would be interested to know the techniques you used, coz I am
> > struggling with 'will power'!

> The willpower will always be a struggle. I'm still fighting with tobacco
> addiction. I have pretty much quit but about once a week I find myself
> cheating. I quit by using the patch and Wellbutrin. Alcohol is another
> issue. I strongly suggest a 30 day inpatient treatment. I had been
> downing prescription meds and drinking on top of that for almost 2 years.
> I finally got to a breaking point emotionally. I checked into the place
> the entire month of June. It was the most relaxing, informative 30 days
> I've ever spent. I got to do a lot of horseback riding, biking and general
> healing. The food was lousy but nutritional. I got hooked on a board game
> called Rumy Cube. I still play with others that were in treatment the same
> time I was. All live in the Missouri area and we get together about once

> month. UGH... one of my rehab pals owns a chain of Ci Ci's Pizza Parlors.
> She has 4 of them. I don't have cravings for alcohol but now and then I
> really, really want some Vicodin. So far, so good. Cigarettes are a
> constant battle.
>
> Michael

I remember when you did that, Michael. Just keep up the no smoking. My
husband has recently quit and I don't hear any more hacking in the middle of
the night, thank God. It was awful. I still can't sleep with him because
of his snoring or his flailing, but at least he's not coughing! LOL

kili

kilikini 06-11-2005 11:38 PM

Cigarettes and Alcohol Addiction

"Ward Abbott" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 22:02:04 -0000, "Arnold" > wrote:
>
> >I don't need a cigarette when on the phone, but I love spicy foods. Just
> >out of interest, why did you mention spicy foods?

> You have routines that "require" you to smoke. You MUST change that
> behavior.
>
> Spicy foods trigger nicotine cravings. You need to alter your diet
> at the same time you alter your behavior. BUT DON"T try to stop
> drinking at the same time. You can only handle one at a time. They
> say that smoking is the more difficult thing to stop....but I believe
> alcohol is more crippling.

It is.

kili

Andy 06-11-2005 11:41 PM

Ward Abbott wrote:

> You have routines that "require" you to smoke. You MUST change that
> behavior.

I disagree with that point of view.

Andy

sf 06-11-2005 11:44 PM

On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 16:41:09 -0600, Andy wrote:

> Ward Abbott wrote:
>
> > You have routines that "require" you to smoke. You MUST change that
> > behavior.

> I disagree with that point of view.

Have you ever tried to quit? Didn't you notice there were things that
triggered the desire to smoke?

Wayne Boatwright 06-11-2005 11:45 PM

On Sun 06 Nov 2005 03:24:18p, ~patches~ wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Arnold wrote:
>
>> Anyone managed to give up cigarettes and alcohol and never looked back?
>>
>> If so, I would be interested to know the techniques you used, coz I am
>> struggling with 'will power'!
>>

> When I was dating DH eons ago, I dabbled in smoking. Back then it was a
> cool thing to do. DH then current fiance hated everything about smoking
> and would regularly destroy whole packs of my cigarettes. At that time
> they were about $2 a pack. I decided the hassles and the cost of wasted
> cigarettes were not worth it and besides I was head over hills in love
> with him. I gave up the cigarettes and we've had peace & harmony ever
> since - at least on the smoking issue ;) To this day we don't even
> allow smoking in our house. I've never regretted quitting smoking. We
> have always used alcohol in moderation and I cook with a variety of
> alcohols. As a female, I am very careful to stay within the Canadian
> safe guidelines to alcohol consumption. It wouldn't bother me to go
> without drinking alcohol. It would bother me more to go without using
> alcohol in certain dishes but if I had to I would.
>
> Do you mind if I ask you if you are struggling with one or the other or
> both? The thing is with either it is not just about will power as there
> are physical withdrawl symptoms to deal with. There are several herbs
> that will help with either or both. Camomile will help curb the
> jitters, anxiety, and overall restlessness from either withdrawl. Milk
> thistle should be used by anyone who consumes alcohol regardless of how
> much. There are other herbs that will help, just do a google search.
> If you are/were a heavy alcohol consumer, alcohol abuser, or alcoholic
> you should seek medical help before quitting as there can be serious
> side effects. You will also need proper assessment of nutritional
> deficits. If you were just drinking more than you were comfortable
> with, vit B especially thiamine is recommended as is zinc. A proper,
> healthy diet rich in fruits & veggies is recommended for overcoming
> either addiction. Other vitamins are recommended especially the
> anti-oxidants and vit E. A higher carb, lower protein is recommended
> for overcoming alcohol addiction. Caffeine should be avoided or
> eliminated during withdrawl as caffeine is a drug itself and will
> increase the anxiety. However if you are a heavy coffee or tea drinker,
> suddenly eliminating that will cause another set of withdrawl symptoms.
> There is a lot of info on the web to help you with this.

Very interesting and good recommendations. We do smoke, but neither of us
drink alcohol, although I do cook with it. I think we are just not ready
to quit smoking. We have both quit smoking for short periods before, long
enough to break the physical addiction, but it was easy to drift back to
it.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

OmManiPadmeOmelet 06-11-2005 11:51 PM

Cigarettes and Alcohol Addiction

In article > ,
TFM® > wrote:

> Never thought about quitting drinking. It makes everyone else so
> interesting.

ROFL!!!
That was funny, thanks!
--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet 06-11-2005 11:54 PM

"kilikini" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> > In article >,

> back?

> am

> > > I just walked away from cigarettes and never looked back, but then, I

> drink,
> > > so........
> > >
> > > kili

> > I've never smoked, but I do drink and it was getting out of hand at one
> > point. I found that the more I obsessed about it, the worse it got and
> > the more I drank.
> >
> > I finally quit worrying about and decided to go back to enjoying it.
> > My liver enzyme levels are now all back in normal range. Once I quit
> > worrying about it and obsessing about it, I was able to get it under
> > control... Now it's not killing me anymore and I can enjoy it again.
> >
> > Hope that helps?
> > --

> Take your milk thistle, drink all you want and don't obsess over it. That's
> my rule.
>
> kili

Well, my liver is ok now, (one advantage of being a lab tech is I can do
the blood tests whenever I want) but I DID take your advice to heart...
There is now a bottle of milk thistle in with the rest of my daily
supplements in the basket next to my computer... ;-)

Thanks for that.

Cheers!
--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet 06-11-2005 11:57 PM

"kilikini" > wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 21:19:01 -0000, Arnold wrote:
> >
> > > Anyone managed to give up cigarettes and alcohol and never looked back?
> > >
> > > If so, I would be interested to know the techniques you used, coz I am
> > > struggling with 'will power'!
> > >

> > I think giving up cigarettes will be harder than giving up alcohol.
> > Nicotine is an extremely addictive substance!

> Nope, for me it's alcohol. I gave up a nicotine and actually <gasp!>
> cocaine habit with no problems, no looking back. Alcohol I need for daily
> survival. I discovered back in high school as the major smart geek, that if
> I drank, I acquired a sense of humor which, thusly, accrued friends. I
> don't leave home without it.
>
> kili <-----functional alcoholic and not ashamed of it

Wow.

I'm glad to see I'm not alone... I tend to get bitchy with my nerves on
the ragged edge every time I try to give it up. I'm a much nicer person
if I allow myself to drink. ;-) Funny isn't it? The drug companies would
probably love to sell me something for that.

Cheers dear! <clink>

I do not, however, drink and drive, nor do I drink before going to
work...
--
Om.

kilikini 06-11-2005 11:57 PM

Cigarettes and Alcohol Addiction

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article > ,
> TFM® > wrote:
>
> > Never thought about quitting drinking. It makes everyone else so
> > interesting.

> ROFL!!!
> That was funny, thanks!
> --

That's my hubby! LOL

kili

kilikini 06-11-2005 11:58 PM

wrote:

> > back?

> > am

time.

have

behavior.

> > drink,

> > > I've never smoked, but I do drink and it was getting out of hand at

one
> > > point. I found that the more I obsessed about it, the worse it got and
> > > the more I drank.
> > >
> > > I finally quit worrying about and decided to go back to enjoying it.
> > > My liver enzyme levels are now all back in normal range. Once I quit
> > > worrying about it and obsessing about it, I was able to get it under
> > > control... Now it's not killing me anymore and I can enjoy it again.
> > >
> > > Hope that helps?
> > > --

> > Take your milk thistle, drink all you want and don't obsess over it.

That's
> > my rule.
> >
> > kili
> >

> Well, my liver is ok now, (one advantage of being a lab tech is I can do
> the blood tests whenever I want) but I DID take your advice to heart...
> There is now a bottle of milk thistle in with the rest of my daily
> supplements in the basket next to my computer... ;-)
>
> Thanks for that.
>
> Cheers!
> --

Milk thistle works! It's a shoe-in. I'm glad you're taking it. I take
mine 3X a day without fail.

kili

Sheldon 07-11-2005 12:04 AM

Arnold wrote:
> Anyone managed to give up cigarettes and alcohol and never looked back?
>
> If so, I would be interested to know the techniques you used, coz I am
> struggling with 'will power'!

Giving up both addictions together would be a pretty rough row to hoe,
so choose one at a time. Were it me I'd first tackle the smoking, a
far more harmful/debilitating addiction. Unless you're a full blown
fall-down-in-the-gutter everyday alkie you can easily cut down on
drinking to a more socially acceptible level but not smoking, any level
of smoking at all will eventually kill you, and a more horrible death
you don't want to know about.. and no one who really smokes can ever
just cut down, not for more than an hour.

I smoked for many years, tried every BS method ever devised... only
thing worked was a stern warning from my doctor that if I continued I
wouldn't last two years, and cold turkey (OB food). At various points
in my life I also boozed too heavily (in the military, going through a
nasty divorce, and a few others), but never so heavily that I couldn't
function. It's been many years now since I've had more than a drink or
three, that's it... most times one glass of wine with dinner or a 2ni,
and not every day either. I think the smoking triggers the drinking
much more than the drinking triggers the smoking... when you stop
smoking I think your drinking will taper way off.

Give up the smoking, not tomorrow, right now, I know of what I speak.

Sheldon

kilikini 07-11-2005 12:07 AM

Cigarettes and Alcohol Addiction

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "kilikini" > wrote:

back?

am

> > > I think giving up cigarettes will be harder than giving up alcohol.
> > > Nicotine is an extremely addictive substance!

> > Nope, for me it's alcohol. I gave up a nicotine and actually <gasp!>
> > cocaine habit with no problems, no looking back. Alcohol I need for

daily
> > survival. I discovered back in high school as the major smart geek,

that if
> > I drank, I acquired a sense of humor which, thusly, accrued friends. I
> > don't leave home without it.
> >
> > kili <-----functional alcoholic and not ashamed of it
> >

> Wow.
>
> I'm glad to see I'm not alone... I tend to get bitchy with my nerves on
> the ragged edge every time I try to give it up. I'm a much nicer person
> if I allow myself to drink. ;-) Funny isn't it? The drug companies would
> probably love to sell me something for that.
>
> Cheers dear! <clink>
>
> I do not, however, drink and drive, nor do I drink before going to
> work...
> --

I drink and walk! (I don't own a car.) You're not alone, Kat. I've been
this way for years. Still able to manage, so I'm not worrying about it. I
work, I maintain a household, I cook, I clean, I have all my teeth, I take
my milk thistle, so who cares?

kili

Michael O'Connor 07-11-2005 12:09 AM

Cigarettes and Alcohol Addiction

Fortunately, the alcholism bug skipped me; most of my ancestors were
alcoholics and I figured the best way to avoid it was to drink very
seldomly. I might have one drink a month, and most of the time that I
drink is when I have to fly.

I was a longtime smoker, and managed to quit smoking a couple years
ago. The only way I was able to quit was by chewing nicotine gum, and
I still haven't been able to get this monkey off my back. If I quit
chewing the gum I'll start smoking again, as I found when I tried to
quit the gum on numerous occasions. Even if I have to chew it for the
rest of my life it is a worthwhile trade-off to avoid lung cancer,
emphysema, etc.

kilikini 07-11-2005 12:15 AM

Cigarettes and Alcohol Addiction

"Michael O'Connor" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Fortunately, the alcholism bug skipped me; most of my ancestors were
> alcoholics and I figured the best way to avoid it was to drink very
> seldomly. I might have one drink a month, and most of the time that I
> drink is when I have to fly.
>
> I was a longtime smoker, and managed to quit smoking a couple years
> ago. The only way I was able to quit was by chewing nicotine gum, and
> I still haven't been able to get this monkey off my back. If I quit
> chewing the gum I'll start smoking again, as I found when I tried to
> quit the gum on numerous occasions. Even if I have to chew it for the
> rest of my life it is a worthwhile trade-off to avoid lung cancer,
> emphysema, etc.

TFM's Uncle Nasty was just here visiting from Tennessee with his new fiance,
and she doesn't know he smokes - go figure how long *this* is gonna last.
Sigh. Anyway, he's been chewing nicotine gum. He claims it works. I still
think that no matter what, it's better than smoking. I'm resorting to
accept TFM's chewing tobacco instead of smoking because he's not coughing at
night now. It's been a couple of weeks since he's quit smoking and I'm not
awake at night, scared, wondering if he's gonna take a breath. He still
snores, so I still have to resort to the couch, but no more gasping and
coughing. Cigarettes are nasty, folks. Sorry. If you smoke and you're
happy about it, smoke away. I'm just saying *I* quit - no problems - my
hubby has quit, but is chewing tobacco. Whatever works. QUIT SMOKING.

kili <-------- still drinking, however.

~patches~ 07-11-2005 12:18 AM

kilikini wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
>
>>On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 21:19:01 -0000, Arnold wrote:
>>

>>> Anyone managed to give up cigarettes and alcohol and never looked back?
>>>
>>> If so, I would be interested to know the techniques you used, coz I am
>>> struggling with 'will power'!
>>>

>>I think giving up cigarettes will be harder than giving up alcohol.
>>Nicotine is an extremely addictive substance!

Two of our kids smoke something I wouldn't have thought they would do
given their grandmother died of lung cancer complications. She smoke 2
pack daily.

> Nope, for me it's alcohol. I gave up a nicotine and actually <gasp!>
> cocaine habit with no problems, no looking back. Alcohol I need for daily
> survival. I discovered back in high school as the major smart geek, that if
> I drank, I acquired a sense of humor which, thusly, accrued friends. I
> don't leave home without it.
>
> kili <-----functional alcoholic and not ashamed of it

kili, this reply is not meant to be in any way judgemental so please
don't take it that way. I can relate to being the major smart geek and
the humour acquired when drinking. IRL, I have always been painfully
shy & reserved preferring not to do much in the way of small talk so I
know where you're coming from. Just so you know this isn't meant to be
judgemental.

IMO anyone who drinks should take milk thistle to protect their liver.
However milk thistle cannot protect you from associated disorders due to
high alcohol intake - esophageal cancer, mouth cancer, breast cancer
(higher risk for females), stomach cancer, GI disorders, malabsorption,
nutritional deficiencies, diabetes, high blood pressure, cardiac
pathologies, neurological damage and the list goes on. I read where
many alcoholics die by bleeding out which doesn't sound like a very
pleasant way to die. Last Feb we watched DDIL's sister age 30 die of
breast cancer. She drank socially on occasion so perhaps alcohol did
not play a role in her cancer or perhaps it did. A friend of mine who
is my age drinks almost daily. She was diagnosed with breast cancer
last March. Within one week she had one breast removed along with the
lymph nodes on that side - not a fun thing to do while undergoing
alcohol withdrawl. She just finished kemo but the prognosis is not good
and they may have to remove the other breast. Even then she may not
make it. The doctors told her the breast cancer was directly related to
her high alcohol consumption. Facing death at such a young age and know
you did it to yourself must be horrible! I really feel sorry for her.

Off to make dinner for myself.

Paul M. Cook 07-11-2005 12:19 AM

"Arnold" > wrote in message
> For me the two are closely related, I smoke a hell of a lot more when
> drinking.
>
> I agree with the positive approach whereby you feel that you are not

giving
> up something, but more like convincing yourself that 'I don't want to
> smoke/drink anymore'. The problem is I love it. Although, I can see why
> people thing that smokers and drinkers are just nuts and I agree!
>
> I don't need a cigarette when on the phone, but I love spicy foods. Just
> out of interest, why did you mention spicy foods?

Arnold, I had to give up wine back in August when I was diagnosed with
diabetes. The meds I am on are incompatible and can cause a lot of harm
when mixed with alcohol. So it had to go. I love wine, always have. I
always enjoyed it in the evenings and it became too regular a habit. But it
was just a habit and not an addiction. You don't talk like an addict
because addicts simply cannot talk about it until the bottom out completely.
While I miss it I don't crave it. I've come to appreciate other beverages
such as Pelligrino water with a lemon slice. Also, tonic water and
cranberry juice. At a friend's birthday party recently I indulged in a
glass of chardonnay. And the funny thing was it didn't lead to more - I was
satisfied with the one glass.

So you can live without it and you'll probably be surprised how easily too.
I'd say tackle the alcohol first and then the smokes. One step at time.
Kicking the alcohol also makes weight control a whole lot easier so there
are clear benefits.

Paul

OmManiPadmeOmelet 07-11-2005 12:21 AM

"kilikini" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> > In article >,

> back?

> am

> > > Nope, for me it's alcohol. I gave up a nicotine and actually <gasp!>
> > > cocaine habit with no problems, no looking back. Alcohol I need for

> daily
> > > survival. I discovered back in high school as the major smart geek,

> that if
> > > I drank, I acquired a sense of humor which, thusly, accrued friends. I
> > > don't leave home without it.
> > >
> > > kili <-----functional alcoholic and not ashamed of it
> > >

> > Wow.
> >
> > I'm glad to see I'm not alone... I tend to get bitchy with my nerves on
> > the ragged edge every time I try to give it up. I'm a much nicer person
> > if I allow myself to drink. ;-) Funny isn't it? The drug companies would
> > probably love to sell me something for that.
> >
> > Cheers dear! <clink>
> >
> > I do not, however, drink and drive, nor do I drink before going to
> > work...
> > --
> >

> I drink and walk! (I don't own a car.) You're not alone, Kat. I've been
> this way for years. Still able to manage, so I'm not worrying about it. I
> work, I maintain a household, I cook, I clean, I have all my teeth, I take
> my milk thistle, so who cares?
>
> kili

Exactly. ;-)
Once I quit obsessing about it, I found I quit overdoing it.

Funny isn't it?

Same thing worked with food addiction. ;-) I can now lose weight slowly,
but easily, as long as I can still enjoy what I eat and just give up
certain _types_ of food.

And get my ass to the gym. <lol>
--
Om.

kilikini 07-11-2005 12:21 AM

"~patches~" > wrote in message
> kilikini wrote:

back?

> >>I think giving up cigarettes will be harder than giving up alcohol.
> >>Nicotine is an extremely addictive substance!

> Two of our kids smoke something I wouldn't have thought they would do
> given their grandmother died of lung cancer complications. She smoke 2
> pack daily.
> >

> > Nope, for me it's alcohol. I gave up a nicotine and actually <gasp!>
> > cocaine habit with no problems, no looking back. Alcohol I need for

daily
> > survival. I discovered back in high school as the major smart geek,

that if
> > I drank, I acquired a sense of humor which, thusly, accrued friends. I
> > don't leave home without it.
> >
> > kili <-----functional alcoholic and not ashamed of it
> >

> kili, this reply is not meant to be in any way judgemental so please
> don't take it that way. I can relate to being the major smart geek and
> the humour acquired when drinking. IRL, I have always been painfully
> shy & reserved preferring not to do much in the way of small talk so I
> know where you're coming from. Just so you know this isn't meant to be
> judgemental.
>
> IMO anyone who drinks should take milk thistle to protect their liver.
> However milk thistle cannot protect you from associated disorders due to
> high alcohol intake - esophageal cancer, mouth cancer, breast cancer
> (higher risk for females), stomach cancer, GI disorders, malabsorption,
> nutritional deficiencies, diabetes, high blood pressure, cardiac
> pathologies, neurological damage and the list goes on. I read where
> many alcoholics die by bleeding out which doesn't sound like a very
> pleasant way to die. Last Feb we watched DDIL's sister age 30 die of
> breast cancer. She drank socially on occasion so perhaps alcohol did
> not play a role in her cancer or perhaps it did. A friend of mine who
> is my age drinks almost daily. She was diagnosed with breast cancer
> last March. Within one week she had one breast removed along with the
> lymph nodes on that side - not a fun thing to do while undergoing
> alcohol withdrawl. She just finished kemo but the prognosis is not good
> and they may have to remove the other breast. Even then she may not
> make it. The doctors told her the breast cancer was directly related to
> her high alcohol consumption. Facing death at such a young age and know
> you did it to yourself must be horrible! I really feel sorry for her.
>
> Off to make dinner for myself.

I hear you, Patches, and I thank you for your concern. OTOH, I'm a very
well-adjusted, happy individual and I'm not worried about it. I'll quit in
time, I know I will. (Gosh, you all learned a lot about me in this thread,
didn't you!?!?) I'm more concerned about dinner tomorrow. We're on the end
of a paycheck and I'm out of ideas....... I'm tired of salads and fried
chicken. On a good note, my hubby bought me some large curd cottage cheese
(I LOVE that stuff!) the other day - it's just about gone; I devoured it
today. :~)

kili

Andy 07-11-2005 12:23 AM

sf wrote:

> On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 16:41:09 -0600, Andy wrote:
>
>> Ward Abbott wrote:
>>
>> > You have routines that "require" you to smoke. You MUST change

that
>> > behavior.

>> I disagree with that point of view.
>>

> Have you ever tried to quit? Didn't you notice there were things that
> triggered the desire to smoke?

No. I'm not a quitter.

However, I did stop smoking on Wednesday, September 1, 2004, 10am.

I went through a lot of reflex action withdrawals, if that's what you
mean.

Andy

OmManiPadmeOmelet 07-11-2005 12:28 AM

~patches~ > wrote:

> I read where
> many alcoholics die by bleeding out which doesn't sound like a very
> pleasant way to die.

While I won't argue with a possible increased risk of cancer, stress
disorders can also contribute to that at an even higher rate. For me (I
won't speak for Kili), alcohol at night after work is a major stress
reducer.

As for bleeding out, I work in health care (the lab) and have been right
in the middle of trying to save the lives of those that bleed to death
from terminal alchoholism.

THAT IS ALWAYS RELATED TO LIVER DAMAGE!!! ALWAYS!
It shows up in their lab work and I know how to read that stuff.

If Kili (and I) take milk thistle and get regular lab work to watch for
that, bleeding and hematological disorders should be controlled. Annual
medical care is a must, as is letting your doctor know what your vices
are. ;-)

My doctor knows and is also in the same boat so she understands...

I'm not going to say that being a functional alcoholic is a good thing,
but I do think that, with proper care, it's a managable problem and
safer than taking the prescriptions that might be required to keep the
anxiety disorder under control that this type of behavior often treats.

Regular medical care is mandatory.
--
Om.

kilikini 07-11-2005 12:32 AM

Cigarettes and Alcohol Addiction

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article > ,
> "kilikini" > wrote:
>
> > "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message

looked
> > back?

coz I
> > am

alcohol.

<gasp!>

> > daily

> > that if

> > > Wow.
> > >
> > > I'm glad to see I'm not alone... I tend to get bitchy with my nerves

on
> > > the ragged edge every time I try to give it up. I'm a much nicer

person
> > > if I allow myself to drink. ;-) Funny isn't it? The drug companies

would
> > > probably love to sell me something for that.
> > >
> > > Cheers dear! <clink>
> > >
> > > I do not, however, drink and drive, nor do I drink before going to
> > > work...
> > > --
> > >

> > I drink and walk! (I don't own a car.) You're not alone, Kat. I've

been
> > this way for years. Still able to manage, so I'm not worrying about it.

> > work, I maintain a household, I cook, I clean, I have all my teeth, I

take
> > my milk thistle, so who cares?
> >
> > kili
> >

> Exactly. ;-)
> Once I quit obsessing about it, I found I quit overdoing it.
>
> Funny isn't it?
>
> Same thing worked with food addiction. ;-) I can now lose weight slowly,
> but easily, as long as I can still enjoy what I eat and just give up
> certain _types_ of food.
>
> And get my ass to the gym. <lol>
> --

I've never had a weight problem until recently - I'm about 20lb's
overweight, but it's due to beer consumption rather than food. I used to be
anorexic 25 years ago and I still don't eat much. One piece of chicken (a
thigh) will do me for an entire day. One potato, a salad, etc. I love to
cook, but I find I don't tend to eat what I cook; I just love to cook to
watch others eat what I make and give their comments. Part of my lack of
eating is due to colitis and my stress over, if I eat, will it bring on my
colitis? (Wow, I'm spilling way more than I should here, what gives?????)
Anyway, I've never had any addictions in the past........ not to food, not
to smoking, not to drugs, but only alchohol.

kili

kilikini 07-11-2005 12:37 AM

Cigarettes and Alcohol Addiction

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> ~patches~ > wrote:
>
> > I read where
> > many alcoholics die by bleeding out which doesn't sound like a very
> > pleasant way to die.

> While I won't argue with a possible increased risk of cancer, stress
> disorders can also contribute to that at an even higher rate. For me (I
> won't speak for Kili), alcohol at night after work is a major stress
> reducer.
>
> As for bleeding out, I work in health care (the lab) and have been right
> in the middle of trying to save the lives of those that bleed to death
> from terminal alchoholism.
>
> THAT IS ALWAYS RELATED TO LIVER DAMAGE!!! ALWAYS!
> It shows up in their lab work and I know how to read that stuff.
>
> If Kili (and I) take milk thistle and get regular lab work to watch for
> that, bleeding and hematological disorders should be controlled. Annual
> medical care is a must, as is letting your doctor know what your vices
> are. ;-)
>
> My doctor knows and is also in the same boat so she understands...
>
> I'm not going to say that being a functional alcoholic is a good thing,
> but I do think that, with proper care, it's a managable problem and
> safer than taking the prescriptions that might be required to keep the
> anxiety disorder under control that this type of behavior often treats.
>
> Regular medical care is mandatory.
> --
> Om.

Yep, I agree, Kat. I'm healthy, TFM is healthy and you're healthy. As long
as we take our vitamins and our milk thistle, we're good to go. (TFM is a
functional alcoholic, too, BTW. And he's a framer and master carpenter for
multi-million dollar homes. One of the homes he's built was featured in
Coastal Living.)

kili

OmManiPadmeOmelet 07-11-2005 12:44 AM

"kilikini" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> > In article > ,

> looked
> > > back?

> coz I
> > > am

> alcohol.

> <gasp!>
> > > daily
> > > that if

> on

> person

> would

> > > I drink and walk! (I don't own a car.) You're not alone, Kat. I've

> been
> > > this way for years. Still able to manage, so I'm not worrying about it.

> > > work, I maintain a household, I cook, I clean, I have all my teeth, I

> take
> > > my milk thistle, so who cares?
> > >
> > > kili
> > >

> > Exactly. ;-)
> > Once I quit obsessing about it, I found I quit overdoing it.
> >
> > Funny isn't it?
> >
> > Same thing worked with food addiction. ;-) I can now lose weight slowly,
> > but easily, as long as I can still enjoy what I eat and just give up
> > certain _types_ of food.
> >
> > And get my ass to the gym. <lol>
> > --

> I've never had a weight problem until recently - I'm about 20lb's
> overweight, but it's due to beer consumption rather than food. I used to be
> anorexic 25 years ago and I still don't eat much. One piece of chicken (a
> thigh) will do me for an entire day. One potato, a salad, etc. I love to
> cook, but I find I don't tend to eat what I cook; I just love to cook to
> watch others eat what I make and give their comments. Part of my lack of
> eating is due to colitis and my stress over, if I eat, will it bring on my
> colitis? (Wow, I'm spilling way more than I should here, what gives?????)
> Anyway, I've never had any addictions in the past........ not to food, not
> to smoking, not to drugs, but only alchohol.
>
> kili

Living low carb should help your colitis... It did mine. :-)
--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet 07-11-2005 12:47 AM

"kilikini" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > ~patches~ > wrote:
> >
> > > I read where
> > > many alcoholics die by bleeding out which doesn't sound like a very
> > > pleasant way to die.

> > While I won't argue with a possible increased risk of cancer, stress
> > disorders can also contribute to that at an even higher rate. For me (I
> > won't speak for Kili), alcohol at night after work is a major stress
> > reducer.
> >
> > As for bleeding out, I work in health care (the lab) and have been right
> > in the middle of trying to save the lives of those that bleed to death
> > from terminal alchoholism.
> >
> > THAT IS ALWAYS RELATED TO LIVER DAMAGE!!! ALWAYS!
> > It shows up in their lab work and I know how to read that stuff.
> >
> > If Kili (and I) take milk thistle and get regular lab work to watch for
> > that, bleeding and hematological disorders should be controlled. Annual
> > medical care is a must, as is letting your doctor know what your vices
> > are. ;-)
> >
> > My doctor knows and is also in the same boat so she understands...
> >
> > I'm not going to say that being a functional alcoholic is a good thing,
> > but I do think that, with proper care, it's a managable problem and
> > safer than taking the prescriptions that might be required to keep the
> > anxiety disorder under control that this type of behavior often treats.
> >
> > Regular medical care is mandatory.
> > --
> > Om.
> >

> Yep, I agree, Kat. I'm healthy, TFM is healthy and you're healthy. As long
> as we take our vitamins and our milk thistle, we're good to go. (TFM is a
> functional alcoholic, too, BTW. And he's a framer and master carpenter for
> multi-million dollar homes. One of the homes he's built was featured in
> Coastal Living.)
>
> kili

The "problem" that you and I suffer from accounts for a good 60% of the
population. There is a reason that my very small town supports 8 liquor
stores. ;-) Plus 3 drive thru's.

Cheers!
--
Om.

Noises Off 07-11-2005 12:49 AM

Arnold wrote:

> Anyone managed to give up cigarettes and alcohol and never looked back?
>
> If so, I would be interested to know the techniques you used, coz I am
> struggling with 'will power'!

Trying the two at once seems doomed to me. Have you had some
kind of health scare?

If it is any help, when I was diagnosed with high blood
pressure I quit a 60 a day habit. Willpower at the start but
then I tried those plastic 'cigarettes' with a nicotine
capsule in them. It depends on what sort of smoker you are.
One of the main things I missed was having something to do
with my hands. The plastic cigarette helped that a lot. I
continued long after the instructions said so that stopping
was quite painless. The drawback and reason I stopped using
them was strangers asking for one of my cigarettes and being
too mad/drunk to understand why I couldn't help.

Three years now, not bad even if I say it myself.

Good luck and all the best.

Noises Off

Sheldon 07-11-2005 01:15 AM

kilikini wrote:

> TFM's Uncle Nasty was just here visiting from Tennessee with his new fiance,

Must be his niece! hehe

> and she doesn't know he smokes - go figure

Already figured, no way do I believe... anyone who doesn't smoke can't
smell tobacco on someone who does when up close and personal has either
an olfactory or pinocchio issue.

> kili <-------- still drinking, however.

Stop it! You're way too young to feel so unfullfilled.

Sheldon

rosie 07-11-2005 01:23 AM

Cigarettes and Alcohol Addiction

Three years now, not bad even if I say it myself.

That is a great start . I quit smoking- cold turkey- Oct 10 1981 at 11
am. It was gawdawful, I dreamt about it for weeks, I thought about it,
I looked lustfully at people who were smoking ( I was in Europe-
Germany ) and everyone there smoked...I found going on VolksMarches
helped, as you could not smoke until you finished.

I will never forget how difficult that was, and today I still have no
problem turning away from the filthy things. It was so difficult to
quit, that I would NEVER start again.

Do what ever it take to stay with out smoking, you will feel better .
Rosie