Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

Default Cigarettes and Alcohol Addiction

In article >,
~patches~ > wrote:

> Nancy1 wrote:
>
> <snip>
> >>That may not be true of alcohol. Many alcoholics are closet drinkers,
> >>drinking alone and at home. Quite often friends and co-workers may not
> >>even have a clue that a person is an alcoholic even though family member
> >>may know or suspect. This type of alcohol abuse is common amongst stay
> >>at home moms, homemakers, and the elderly. The true prevalence of this
> >>type of alcoholic may never truely be known as they tend to hide their
> >>drinking. For those who are not aware a heavy drinker or alcoholic
> >>should *not* quit cold turkey and they should seek medical help when
> >>trying to quit. DTs, a possible complication of alcohol withdrawl, can
> >>be fatal. If you want to know more about alcohol withdrawl there are
> >>several good sources on the web.

> > There are exceptions to every "rule." The original poster's post
> > didn't sound like he was an alcoholic who might get the DTs if he went
> > "cold turkey." If he's asking advice here, it's likely that he is not.
> > Whatever. Caveats never hurt.

> This is true and one can't really get the true picture from posts.
> Honestly, I was floored when a couple of posters here said they were
> functional alcoholics. I certainly would not have expected that from
> their posts. The OP could be the same way or could just want to cut
> back on drinking. It's good to cover all basis not only for the OP but
> for anyone else who may be interested.
> >
> > N.

Most of my friends in person cannot tell when I've been drinking either.
;-) I just drink enough to relax, I don't get falling down or passing
out drunk. Ever. I don't like to as if I drink too much, I get sick,
nauseous, dizzy, throw up, all that "fun" stuff so I just don't do it
and have not in years. I can tell when I'm mildy impaired and will not
drive when I feel that way.

Like many addictions, it can be controllable with a little care and
common sense so, no, a lot of the time, you are not going to be able to
spot a "functional alcoholic"... It is way, way too common in this
troubled and stressful world of ours. IMHO it's no worse than being on
Xanax, Zoloft, and all the other prescription drugs so many people take
to "cope". <G> And some of those have even worse, long term side effects.

Cheers!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > ~patches~ > wrote:

> back?

> am

> never

> both

> > > That may not be true of alcohol. Many alcoholics are closet drinkers,
> > > drinking alone and at home. Quite often friends and co-workers may not
> > > even have a clue that a person is an alcoholic even though family member
> > > may know or suspect. This type of alcohol abuse is common amongst stay
> > > at home moms, homemakers, and the elderly. The true prevalence of this
> > > type of alcoholic may never truely be known as they tend to hide their
> > > drinking. For those who are not aware a heavy drinker or alcoholic
> > > should *not* quit cold turkey and they should seek medical help when
> > > trying to quit. DTs, a possible complication of alcohol withdrawl, can
> > > be fatal. If you want to know more about alcohol withdrawl there are
> > > several good sources on the web.

> > Very true.
> > It's safer to taper off if you are a regular heavy drinker, and drink
> > LOTS of water to help clear things out.
> >
> > Take vitamins, especially B-complex, and take milk thistle for liver
> > support.
> >
> > The above is a good idea even if you have no intention of giving it up.
> > --

> Yep, when I'm at work I go through almost a full gallon of water. Makes me
> pee a lot, but it helps!
>
> kili

I easily go thru a gallon a day. ;-)
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> ~patches~ > wrote:
>
> > Nancy1 wrote:
> >
> > <snip>

not

member

stay

this

can

> > > There are exceptions to every "rule." The original poster's post
> > > didn't sound like he was an alcoholic who might get the DTs if he went
> > > "cold turkey." If he's asking advice here, it's likely that he is

not.
> > > Whatever. Caveats never hurt.

> > This is true and one can't really get the true picture from posts.
> > Honestly, I was floored when a couple of posters here said they were
> > functional alcoholics. I certainly would not have expected that from
> > their posts. The OP could be the same way or could just want to cut
> > back on drinking. It's good to cover all basis not only for the OP but
> > for anyone else who may be interested.
> > >
> > > N.
> > >

> Most of my friends in person cannot tell when I've been drinking either.
> ;-) I just drink enough to relax, I don't get falling down or passing
> out drunk. Ever. I don't like to as if I drink too much, I get sick,
> nauseous, dizzy, throw up, all that "fun" stuff so I just don't do it
> and have not in years. I can tell when I'm mildy impaired and will not
> drive when I feel that way.
>
> Like many addictions, it can be controllable with a little care and
> common sense so, no, a lot of the time, you are not going to be able to
> spot a "functional alcoholic"... It is way, way too common in this
> troubled and stressful world of ours. IMHO it's no worse than being on
> Xanax, Zoloft, and all the other prescription drugs so many people take
> to "cope". <G> And some of those have even worse, long term side effects.

I'm the same way. I'm embarrassed for folks who can't control their drunken
state. Most people can't tell I've been drinking. I drink enough to relax,
just like you do. I don't like to be buzzed or out of control at ALL.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking
elaine

"Nancy1" > wrote in message
ups.com...

>So, you have to want to (at least in the back of your
> mind) AND it has to be the right time. Last year, it was the right
> time for me. I just quit cold turkey and have never had a real urge to
> start again - I just imagine how the smoke feels in my throat, how bad
> my house smelled, and how much I coughed. HOWEVER, the old "saw" is
> true - if I knew I had only a year to live, I'd start again in a
> minute. LOL. I don't miss the taste or the feeling - just the action
> of smoking.

And last year (Sept) was the right time for me too. BUT...yes, if I knew I
only had a year to live. I'd start again. In fact, several years ago I
thought I only had a few years to live - I had quit for 8 years. I started
again.

Damn, but I lived - and smoked for another 12 years.

Oh well,

E.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article > ,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > ~patches~ > wrote:
> >
> > > Nancy1 wrote:
> > >
> > > <snip>

> not

> member

> stay

> this

> can

> not.
> > >
> > > This is true and one can't really get the true picture from posts.
> > > Honestly, I was floored when a couple of posters here said they were
> > > functional alcoholics. I certainly would not have expected that from
> > > their posts. The OP could be the same way or could just want to cut
> > > back on drinking. It's good to cover all basis not only for the OP but
> > > for anyone else who may be interested.

> > Most of my friends in person cannot tell when I've been drinking either.
> > ;-) I just drink enough to relax, I don't get falling down or passing
> > out drunk. Ever. I don't like to as if I drink too much, I get sick,
> > nauseous, dizzy, throw up, all that "fun" stuff so I just don't do it
> > and have not in years. I can tell when I'm mildy impaired and will not
> > drive when I feel that way.
> >
> > Like many addictions, it can be controllable with a little care and
> > common sense so, no, a lot of the time, you are not going to be able to
> > spot a "functional alcoholic"... It is way, way too common in this
> > troubled and stressful world of ours. IMHO it's no worse than being on
> > Xanax, Zoloft, and all the other prescription drugs so many people take
> > to "cope". <G> And some of those have even worse, long term side effects.
> >

> I'm the same way. I'm embarrassed for folks who can't control their drunken
> state. Most people can't tell I've been drinking. I drink enough to relax,
> just like you do. I don't like to be buzzed or out of control at ALL.
>
> kili

;-)

I love the statement that Arnold made in the movie "Red Heat". He was
playing a russian cop.

The american chief of police had an aquarium and a new age tape in his
office and used that and deep breathing for stress control.

He asked Arnold how they dealt with stress in Russia.

Arnold said only one word...

"Vodka".

<lol>
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 16:41:09 -0600, Andy wrote:
>
> > Ward Abbott wrote:
> >
> > > You have routines that "require" you to smoke. You MUST change that
> > > behavior.

> > I disagree with that point of view.
> >

> Have you ever tried to quit? Didn't you notice there were things that
> triggered the desire to smoke?

Like drinking or hanging out in a bar? I've had friends who I didn't
even know smoked until I was with them in a bar where they used the
butt from each cigarette to light the next one.

-bwg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl Perkins wrote:

> Some people recommend quitting both at once, particularly if the use of
> one tends to trigger a desire for the other. For example, some people
> tend to drink and smoke at the same time. They may always relax
> after hard work with a drink and a cigarette. If they quit smoking, they
> can find that every time they take a drink, the urge to smoke becomes
> extremely strong. And, of course, alcohol reduces inhibitions, making it
> easier to give in.

Which is as much an argument for quitting drinking first and cigarettes
later as it is for quitting both at one time.

> Change your habits and routines, take up new, healthier habits to fill the
> empty space in your life left by quitting.
>
> --
> Cheryl

-bwg

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 09:51:04 GMT, kilikini wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 23:37:37 GMT, kilikini wrote:
> >
> > > One of the homes he's built was featured in Coastal Living.

> > Very kewl! Post a URL for an article or a picture please?
> >

> Ha! I finally found a website!
>
> http://www.sptimes.com/2004/10/02/Ho...s_beauty.shtml
>
> He did ALL the wood on that house. Some of it by eyeballing it because
> there's no other way. Like little spires and things. He did the ceilings,
> the mouldings, everything. He's damn good! :~D
>
> kili <------ very proud of her hubby.

You should be... it's beautiful!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 11:18:10 GMT, kilikini wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 23:37:37 GMT, kilikini wrote:
> >
> > > One of the homes he's built was featured in Coastal Living.

> > Very kewl! Post a URL for an article or a picture please?
> >

> SF, I found pictures of the building of the house and I posted them to my
> Yahoo photo account. You can view them he
> http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ahuihou.geo/my_photos
>
> Just click on Coastal Living.

My goodnes! Coastal Living magazine? So, how did he get that gig?
Did he "know someone" or was he just lucky?

BTW: I signed up for a trial issue while I was there.

OB Food: Recipes from Coastal Living
http://www.coastalliving.com/coastal...14530,,00.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob (this one)

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote

> lifestye of my job...

<LOL> My favorite typo this week. Either that or you worked with a
buncha olde-Englishe piggy types...

Or maybe something in your eye.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 11:18:10 GMT, kilikini wrote:

> > > Very kewl! Post a URL for an article or a picture please?
> > >

> > SF, I found pictures of the building of the house and I posted them to

my
> > Yahoo photo account. You can view them he
> > http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ahuihou.geo/my_photos
> >
> > Just click on Coastal Living.
> >

> My goodnes! Coastal Living magazine? So, how did he get that gig?
> Did he "know someone" or was he just lucky?
>
> BTW: I signed up for a trial issue while I was there.
>
> OB Food: Recipes from Coastal Living
> http://www.coastalliving.com/coastal...14530,,00.html

He's just good. They needed a master carpenter to build the home. Bayfair
Homes found my hubby. He's the best in the area. Wish he got paid more for
his skill, but, oh well. I can still be proud of him anyway.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 07 Nov 2005 10:32:38p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Bob (this
one)?

>> Wayne Boatwright > wrote

> > lifestye of my job...

> <LOL> My favorite typo this week. Either that or you worked with a
> buncha olde-Englishe piggy types...
>
> Or maybe something in your eye.
>
> Pastorio

LOL! That's the one thing I don't like about Xnews, no integrated
spellchecker.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
TFM®

kilikini wrote:
> "sf" > wrote in message

>>> SF, I found pictures of the building of the house and I posted them to

> my
>
>>> Yahoo photo account. You can view them he
>>> http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ahuihou.geo/my_photos
>>>
>>> Just click on Coastal Living.
>>>

>>My goodnes! Coastal Living magazine? So, how did he get that gig?
>>Did he "know someone" or was he just lucky?
>>
>>BTW: I signed up for a trial issue while I was there.
>>
>>OB Food: Recipes from Coastal Living
>>http://www.coastalliving.com/coastal...14530,,00.html

> He's just good. They needed a master carpenter to build the home. Bayfair
> Homes found my hubby. He's the best in the area. Wish he got paid more for
> his skill, but, oh well. I can still be proud of him anyway.
>
> kili

Whoa! Hold on a minute. I work for T&T Construction. They were
already dealing with Bayfair when I moved to Florida.

I'm just a carpenter. I didn't build that home. I did a lot of the
finish framing, the pretty stuff.

I'm a turd polisher. The rough framers throw it together as fast as
humanly possible and then I go in and make it presentable.

But........almost everything on the exterior of that house that is wood,
I did or had a hand in.

Also the interior ceilings in the kitchen and the master bedroom, the
100 year old beams in the "Great room" (Those rotting logs cost them $5,000)

I didn't charge them that, that's what Bayfair paid for them.

I'm a pretty good carpenter, but don't let my lovely wife blow me outta
proportion.

TFM®

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

TFM® wrote:
> kilikini wrote:

> > my

> >>My goodnes! Coastal Living magazine? So, how did he get that gig?
> >>Did he "know someone" or was he just lucky?
> >>
> >>BTW: I signed up for a trial issue while I was there.
> >>
> >>OB Food: Recipes from Coastal Living
> >>http://www.coastalliving.com/coastal...14530,,00.html

> > He's just good. They needed a master carpenter to build the home. Bayfair
> > Homes found my hubby. He's the best in the area. Wish he got paid morefor
> > his skill, but, oh well. I can still be proud of him anyway.
> >
> > kili
> >

> Whoa! Hold on a minute. I work for T&T Construction. They were
> already dealing with Bayfair when I moved to Florida.
>
> I'm just a carpenter. I didn't build that home. I did a lot of the
> finish framing, the pretty stuff.
>
> I'm a turd polisher. The rough framers throw it together as fast as
> humanly possible and then I go in and make it presentable.
>
> But........almost everything on the exterior of that house that is wood,
> I did or had a hand in.
>
> Also the interior ceilings in the kitchen and the master bedroom, the
> 100 year old beams in the "Great room" (Those rotting logs cost them $5,000)
>
> I didn't charge them that, that's what Bayfair paid for them.
>

> I'm a pretty good carpenter, but don't let my lovely wife blow me outta
> proportion.

Here's where I jump in... "Whoa! Hold on a minute." hehe

Um... If I were a carpenter...

Sheldon Woody

Posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

TFM® wrote:
> kilikini wrote:

> > my

> >>My goodnes! Coastal Living magazine? So, how did he get that gig?
> >>Did he "know someone" or was he just lucky?
> >>
> >>BTW: I signed up for a trial issue while I was there.
> >>
> >>OB Food: Recipes from Coastal Living
> >>http://www.coastalliving.com/coastal...14530,,00.html

> > He's just good. They needed a master carpenter to build the home.

Bayfair
> > Homes found my hubby. He's the best in the area. Wish he got paid more

for
> > his skill, but, oh well. I can still be proud of him anyway.
> >
> > kili
> >

> Whoa! Hold on a minute. I work for T&T Construction. They were
> already dealing with Bayfair when I moved to Florida.
>
> I'm just a carpenter. I didn't build that home. I did a lot of the
> finish framing, the pretty stuff.
>
> I'm a turd polisher. The rough framers throw it together as fast as
> humanly possible and then I go in and make it presentable.
>
> But........almost everything on the exterior of that house that is wood,
> I did or had a hand in.
>
> Also the interior ceilings in the kitchen and the master bedroom, the
> 100 year old beams in the "Great room" (Those rotting logs cost them

$5,000)

> I didn't charge them that, that's what Bayfair paid for them.
>

> I'm a pretty good carpenter, but don't let my lovely wife blow me outta
> proportion.

Here's where I jump in... "Whoa! Hold on a minute." hehe

Um... If I were a carpenter...

Sheldon Woody

I'm blushing. <g>

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Maverick

"kilikini" > wrote in message
m...

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 23:07:01 GMT, kilikini wrote:
>>

>> > I drink and walk! (I don't own a car.) You're not alone, Kat. I've

> been
>> > this way for years. Still able to manage, so I'm not worrying about

> it. I
>> > work, I maintain a household, I cook, I clean, I have all my teeth, I

> take
>> > my milk thistle, so who cares?
>> >

>> Take your multi vitamins and you're there....
>>
>> sf
>> fellow arm bender <clink>
>> not a milk thistle taker yet, but thinking it wouldn't hurt

> (It wouldn't hurt.)
>
> kili

Ok, just what does milk thistle do for you? I'm a smoker and I drink either
beer or whiskey. Kind of switch back and forth between them but I don't
understand what milk thistle does for you.

Hep me, Hep me!

Thanks,
Bret

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Maverick

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 17:47:01 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
>> There is a reason that my very small town supports 8 liquor
>> stores. ;-) Plus 3 drive thru's.

> YEOW! I always thought small towns had approximately the same number
> of bars and churches.... I bet yours is skewed toward bars.

Not likely. My little town of 7000 people has almost 20 churches...but only
7 places to buy liquor.

YMMV,
Bret

Posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini

"Maverick" > wrote in message
> "kilikini" > wrote in message
> m...

I've
> > been

> > it. I

> > take
> >> >
> >> Take your multi vitamins and you're there....
> >>
> >> sf
> >> fellow arm bender <clink>
> >> not a milk thistle taker yet, but thinking it wouldn't hurt

> > (It wouldn't hurt.)
> >
> > kili

> Ok, just what does milk thistle do for you? I'm a smoker and I drink

either
> beer or whiskey. Kind of switch back and forth between them but I don't
> understand what milk thistle does for you.
>
> Hep me, Hep me!
>
> Thanks,
> Bret

Here ya go........

Milk thistle nutritionally supports the liver's ability to maintain normal
liver function. It has shown positive effects in treating nearly every known
form of liver disease, including cirrhosis, hepatitis, necroses, and liver
damage due to drug and alcohol abuse. Milk thistle works due to its ability
to inhibit the factors responsible for liver damage, coupled with the fact
it stimulates production of new liver cells to replace old damaged ones.

Milk thistle has been proven to protect the liver from damage. The
detrimental effects of environmental toxins, alcohol, drugs and chemotherapy
may be countered with this valuable herb. The active chemical component in
the herb is silybin, which functions as an antioxidant and is one of the
most potent liver protective agents known. Clinical trials have proven
silybin to be effective in treating chronic liver diseases and in protecting
the liver from toxic chemicals. An injection of silybin is a proven antidote
for poisoning with the Deathcap mushroom (Amanita phalloides).

Silybin is a part of the chemical structure of the flavoligan silymarine.
Milk thistle's hepatoprotective effects may be explained by its function of
altering the liver cell membrane structure, blocking the absorption of
toxins into the cells. Hepatoprotection by silymarin can also be attributed
to its ability to increase the intracellular concentration of glutathione, a
substance required for detoxicating reactions in liver cells. Milk thistle
is also an antioxidant that is more potent than vitamins C and E.

kili

Should meat be taxed like alcohol and cigarettes? Dr. Jai Maharaj[_2_] Vegan 15 21-04-2015 03:50 PM
Rediscovered alcohol addiction recovery technique Samuel Harris Wine 5 02-03-2013 05:53 PM
"Bankrupt" California: OK for illegals to use welfare checks tobuy cigarettes and alcohol walt tonne General Cooking 9 21-05-2011 01:57 AM
cigarettes burton General Cooking 0 12-03-2008 03:42 PM
Re-Addiction Earl Coffee 1 15-10-2005 05:08 PM