Old 06-11-2005, 10:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Andy

Default Cigarettes and Alcohol Addiction

Ward Abbott wrote:

You have routines that "require" you to smoke. You MUST change that
behavior.

I disagree with that point of view.

Andy

Old 06-11-2005, 10:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 16:41:09 -0600, Andy wrote:

Ward Abbott wrote:

You have routines that "require" you to smoke. You MUST change that
behavior.

I disagree with that point of view.

Have you ever tried to quit? Didn't you notice there were things that
triggered the desire to smoke?
Old 06-11-2005, 10:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 06 Nov 2005 03:24:18p, ~patches~ wrote in rec.food.cooking:

Arnold wrote:

Anyone managed to give up cigarettes and alcohol and never looked back?

If so, I would be interested to know the techniques you used, coz I am
struggling with 'will power'!

When I was dating DH eons ago, I dabbled in smoking. Back then it was a
cool thing to do. DH then current fiance hated everything about smoking
and would regularly destroy whole packs of my cigarettes. At that time
they were about $2 a pack. I decided the hassles and the cost of wasted
cigarettes were not worth it and besides I was head over hills in love
with him. I gave up the cigarettes and we've had peace & harmony ever
since - at least on the smoking issue To this day we don't even
allow smoking in our house. I've never regretted quitting smoking. We
have always used alcohol in moderation and I cook with a variety of
alcohols. As a female, I am very careful to stay within the Canadian
safe guidelines to alcohol consumption. It wouldn't bother me to go
without drinking alcohol. It would bother me more to go without using
alcohol in certain dishes but if I had to I would.

Do you mind if I ask you if you are struggling with one or the other or
both? The thing is with either it is not just about will power as there
are physical withdrawl symptoms to deal with. There are several herbs
that will help with either or both. Camomile will help curb the
jitters, anxiety, and overall restlessness from either withdrawl. Milk
thistle should be used by anyone who consumes alcohol regardless of how
much. There are other herbs that will help, just do a google search.
If you are/were a heavy alcohol consumer, alcohol abuser, or alcoholic
you should seek medical help before quitting as there can be serious
side effects. You will also need proper assessment of nutritional
deficits. If you were just drinking more than you were comfortable
with, vit B especially thiamine is recommended as is zinc. A proper,
healthy diet rich in fruits & veggies is recommended for overcoming
either addiction. Other vitamins are recommended especially the
anti-oxidants and vit E. A higher carb, lower protein is recommended
for overcoming alcohol addiction. Caffeine should be avoided or
eliminated during withdrawl as caffeine is a drug itself and will
increase the anxiety. However if you are a heavy coffee or tea drinker,
suddenly eliminating that will cause another set of withdrawl symptoms.
There is a lot of info on the web to help you with this.

Very interesting and good recommendations. We do smoke, but neither of us
drink alcohol, although I do cook with it. I think we are just not ready
to quit smoking. We have both quit smoking for short periods before, long
enough to break the physical addiction, but it was easy to drift back to
it.

--
Wayne Boatwright **

Old 06-11-2005, 10:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
TFM wrote:

Never thought about quitting drinking. It makes everyone else so
interesting.

ROFL!!!
That was funny, thanks!
--
Om.

Old 06-11-2005, 10:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
"kilikini" wrote:

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote in message
"kilikini" wrote:

"Ward Abbott" wrote in message
On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 21:19:01 -0000, "Arnold" wrote:

Anyone managed to give up cigarettes and alcohol and never looked

back?

If so, I would be interested to know the techniques you used, coz I

am
struggling with 'will power'!

CHOOSE ONE addiction at a time. No one can do both at the same time.
My personal formula was to say, "I choose not to smoke". I didn't
deprive myself of anything.

You need to put this in the positive instead of saying....I can't have
a cigarette.

A little helper...no pepper, no spicy foods and change your behavior.
If you always had to have a cigarette while talking on the
phone....then it is time to go for a "healthy" walk.

I just walked away from cigarettes and never looked back, but then, I

drink,
so........

kili

I've never smoked, but I do drink and it was getting out of hand at one
point. I found that the more I obsessed about it, the worse it got and
the more I drank.

I finally quit worrying about and decided to go back to enjoying it.
My liver enzyme levels are now all back in normal range. Once I quit
worrying about it and obsessing about it, I was able to get it under
control... Now it's not killing me anymore and I can enjoy it again.

Hope that helps?
--

Take your milk thistle, drink all you want and don't obsess over it. That's
my rule.

kili

Well, my liver is ok now, (one advantage of being a lab tech is I can do
the blood tests whenever I want) but I DID take your advice to heart...
There is now a bottle of milk thistle in with the rest of my daily
supplements in the basket next to my computer... ;-)

Thanks for that.

Cheers!
--
Om.

Old 06-11-2005, 10:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
"kilikini" wrote:

"sf" wrote in message
On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 21:19:01 -0000, Arnold wrote:

Anyone managed to give up cigarettes and alcohol and never looked back?

If so, I would be interested to know the techniques you used, coz I am
struggling with 'will power'!

I think giving up cigarettes will be harder than giving up alcohol.
Nicotine is an extremely addictive substance!

Nope, for me it's alcohol. I gave up a nicotine and actually gasp!
cocaine habit with no problems, no looking back. Alcohol I need for daily
survival. I discovered back in high school as the major smart geek, that if
I drank, I acquired a sense of humor which, thusly, accrued friends. I
don't leave home without it.

kili -----functional alcoholic and not ashamed of it

Wow.

I'm glad to see I'm not alone... I tend to get bitchy with my nerves on
the ragged edge every time I try to give it up. I'm a much nicer person
if I allow myself to drink. ;-) Funny isn't it? The drug companies would
probably love to sell me something for that.

Cheers dear! clink

I do not, however, drink and drive, nor do I drink before going to
work...
--
Om.

Old 06-11-2005, 10:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini

TFM wrote:

Never thought about quitting drinking. It makes everyone else so
interesting.

ROFL!!!
That was funny, thanks!
--

That's my hubby! LOL

kili

Old 06-11-2005, 10:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini

wrote:

[...]

Milk thistle works! It's a shoe-in. I'm glad you're taking it. I take
mine 3X a day without fail.

kili

Old 06-11-2005, 11:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Arnold wrote:
Anyone managed to give up cigarettes and alcohol and never looked back?

If so, I would be interested to know the techniques you used, coz I am
struggling with 'will power'!

Giving up both addictions together would be a pretty rough row to hoe,
so choose one at a time. Were it me I'd first tackle the smoking, a
far more harmful/debilitating addiction. Unless you're a full blown
fall-down-in-the-gutter everyday alkie you can easily cut down on
drinking to a more socially acceptible level but not smoking, any level
of smoking at all will eventually kill you, and a more horrible death
you don't want to know about.. and no one who really smokes can ever
just cut down, not for more than an hour.

I smoked for many years, tried every BS method ever devised... only
thing worked was a stern warning from my doctor that if I continued I
wouldn't last two years, and cold turkey (OB food). At various points
in my life I also boozed too heavily (in the military, going through a
nasty divorce, and a few others), but never so heavily that I couldn't
function. It's been many years now since I've had more than a drink or
three, that's it... most times one glass of wine with dinner or a 2ni,
and not every day either. I think the smoking triggers the drinking
much more than the drinking triggers the smoking... when you stop
smoking I think your drinking will taper way off.

Give up the smoking, not tomorrow, right now, I know of what I speak.

Sheldon

Old 06-11-2005, 11:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini

"kilikini" wrote:

"sf" wrote in message
[...]

I drink and walk! (I don't own a car.) You're not alone, Kat. I've been
this way for years. Still able to manage, so I'm not worrying about it. I
work, I maintain a household, I cook, I clean, I have all my teeth, I take
my milk thistle, so who cares?

kili

Old 06-11-2005, 11:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Michael O'Connor

Fortunately, the alcholism bug skipped me; most of my ancestors were
alcoholics and I figured the best way to avoid it was to drink very
seldomly. I might have one drink a month, and most of the time that I
drink is when I have to fly.

I was a longtime smoker, and managed to quit smoking a couple years
ago. The only way I was able to quit was by chewing nicotine gum, and
I still haven't been able to get this monkey off my back. If I quit
chewing the gum I'll start smoking again, as I found when I tried to
quit the gum on numerous occasions. Even if I have to chew it for the
rest of my life it is a worthwhile trade-off to avoid lung cancer,
emphysema, etc.

Old 06-11-2005, 11:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini

"Michael O'Connor" wrote in message
oups.com...
Fortunately, the alcholism bug skipped me; most of my ancestors were
alcoholics and I figured the best way to avoid it was to drink very
seldomly. I might have one drink a month, and most of the time that I
drink is when I have to fly.

I was a longtime smoker, and managed to quit smoking a couple years
ago. The only way I was able to quit was by chewing nicotine gum, and
I still haven't been able to get this monkey off my back. If I quit
chewing the gum I'll start smoking again, as I found when I tried to
quit the gum on numerous occasions. Even if I have to chew it for the
rest of my life it is a worthwhile trade-off to avoid lung cancer,
emphysema, etc.

TFM's Uncle Nasty was just here visiting from Tennessee with his new fiance,
and she doesn't know he smokes - go figure how long *this* is gonna last.
Sigh. Anyway, he's been chewing nicotine gum. He claims it works. I still
think that no matter what, it's better than smoking. I'm resorting to
accept TFM's chewing tobacco instead of smoking because he's not coughing at
night now. It's been a couple of weeks since he's quit smoking and I'm not
awake at night, scared, wondering if he's gonna take a breath. He still
snores, so I still have to resort to the couch, but no more gasping and
coughing. Cigarettes are nasty, folks. Sorry. If you smoke and you're
happy about it, smoke away. I'm just saying *I* quit - no problems - my
hubby has quit, but is chewing tobacco. Whatever works. QUIT SMOKING.

kili -------- still drinking, however.

Old 06-11-2005, 11:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~

kilikini wrote:

"sf" wrote in message

On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 21:19:01 -0000, Arnold wrote:

Anyone managed to give up cigarettes and alcohol and never looked back?

If so, I would be interested to know the techniques you used, coz I am
struggling with 'will power'!

I think giving up cigarettes will be harder than giving up alcohol.
Nicotine is an extremely addictive substance!

Two of our kids smoke something I wouldn't have thought they would do
given their grandmother died of lung cancer complications. She smoke 2
pack daily.

Nope, for me it's alcohol. I gave up a nicotine and actually gasp!
cocaine habit with no problems, no looking back. Alcohol I need for daily
survival. I discovered back in high school as the major smart geek, that if
I drank, I acquired a sense of humor which, thusly, accrued friends. I
don't leave home without it.

kili -----functional alcoholic and not ashamed of it

kili, this reply is not meant to be in any way judgemental so please
don't take it that way. I can relate to being the major smart geek and
the humour acquired when drinking. IRL, I have always been painfully
shy & reserved preferring not to do much in the way of small talk so I
know where you're coming from. Just so you know this isn't meant to be
judgemental.

IMO anyone who drinks should take milk thistle to protect their liver.
However milk thistle cannot protect you from associated disorders due to
high alcohol intake - esophageal cancer, mouth cancer, breast cancer
(higher risk for females), stomach cancer, GI disorders, malabsorption,
nutritional deficiencies, diabetes, high blood pressure, cardiac
pathologies, neurological damage and the list goes on. I read where
many alcoholics die by bleeding out which doesn't sound like a very
pleasant way to die. Last Feb we watched DDIL's sister age 30 die of
breast cancer. She drank socially on occasion so perhaps alcohol did
not play a role in her cancer or perhaps it did. A friend of mine who
is my age drinks almost daily. She was diagnosed with breast cancer
last March. Within one week she had one breast removed along with the
lymph nodes on that side - not a fun thing to do while undergoing
alcohol withdrawl. She just finished kemo but the prognosis is not good
and they may have to remove the other breast. Even then she may not
make it. The doctors told her the breast cancer was directly related to
her high alcohol consumption. Facing death at such a young age and know
you did it to yourself must be horrible! I really feel sorry for her.

Off to make dinner for myself.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Paul M. Cook

"Arnold" wrote in message
For me the two are closely related, I smoke a hell of a lot more when
drinking.

I agree with the positive approach whereby you feel that you are not

giving
up something, but more like convincing yourself that 'I don't want to
smoke/drink anymore'. The problem is I love it. Although, I can see why
people thing that smokers and drinkers are just nuts and I agree!

I don't need a cigarette when on the phone, but I love spicy foods. Just
out of interest, why did you mention spicy foods?

Arnold, I had to give up wine back in August when I was diagnosed with
diabetes. The meds I am on are incompatible and can cause a lot of harm
when mixed with alcohol. So it had to go. I love wine, always have. I
always enjoyed it in the evenings and it became too regular a habit. But it
was just a habit and not an addiction. You don't talk like an addict
because addicts simply cannot talk about it until the bottom out completely.
While I miss it I don't crave it. I've come to appreciate other beverages
such as Pelligrino water with a lemon slice. Also, tonic water and
cranberry juice. At a friend's birthday party recently I indulged in a
glass of chardonnay. And the funny thing was it didn't lead to more - I was
satisfied with the one glass.

So you can live without it and you'll probably be surprised how easily too.
I'd say tackle the alcohol first and then the smokes. One step at time.
Kicking the alcohol also makes weight control a whole lot easier so there
are clear benefits.

Paul

Old 06-11-2005, 11:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

"kilikini" wrote:

"sf" wrote in message
[...]

Exactly. ;-)
Once I quit obsessing about it, I found I quit overdoing it.

Funny isn't it?

Same thing worked with food addiction. ;-) I can now lose weight slowly,
but easily, as long as I can still enjoy what I eat and just give up
certain _types_ of food.

And get my ass to the gym. lol
--
Om.

Should meat be taxed like alcohol and cigarettes? Dr. Jai Maharaj[_2_] Vegan 15 21-04-2015 03:50 PM
Rediscovered alcohol addiction recovery technique Samuel Harris Wine 5 02-03-2013 04:53 PM
"Bankrupt" California: OK for illegals to use welfare checks tobuy cigarettes and alcohol walt tonne General Cooking 9 21-05-2011 01:57 AM
cigarettes burton General Cooking 0 12-03-2008 02:42 PM
Re-Addiction Earl Coffee 1 15-10-2005 05:08 PM