FoodBanter.com

-   -   gallbladder friendly diet? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/7357-gallbladder-friendly-diet.html)

MurphAssoc 01-07-2004 06:22 PM

gallbladder friendly diet?

I have a friend coming to visit who has chronic problems with this and will
most likely wind up having surgery. In the meantime, does anyone have
suggestions of what to serve this person? I know that fried foods is not good,
but that is all I can come up with.
TIA
Judith

[email protected] 01-07-2004 06:28 PM

gallbladder friendly diet?

MurphAssoc > wrote:
> I have a friend coming to visit who has chronic problems with this and will
> most likely wind up having surgery. In the meantime, does anyone have
> suggestions of what to serve this person? I know that fried foods is not good,
> but that is all I can come up with.

You would be better off if you asked your guest what
his dietary preferences and restrictions are.

Vox Humana 01-07-2004 06:31 PM

gallbladder friendly diet?

"MurphAssoc" > wrote in message
> I have a friend coming to visit who has chronic problems with this and

will
> most likely wind up having surgery. In the meantime, does anyone have
> suggestions of what to serve this person? I know that fried foods is not

good,
> but that is all I can come up with.
> TIA

I think it is always best to consult with the guest about these things. Why
don't you just call them and ask what they can and can not eat?

Mama2EandJ 01-07-2004 07:49 PM

gallbladder friendly diet?

>In the meantime, does anyone have
>> suggestions of what to serve this person? I know that fried foods is not

>good,
>> but that is all I can come up with.
>> TIA

Ask the guest in question. I had my gall bladder out and we never could figure
out what foods (if any) precipitated an attack. At the end I was living on
Welch's grape juice popsicles and pretzels.

Donna Rose 01-07-2004 07:54 PM

gallbladder friendly diet?

In article >,
says...
> I have a friend coming to visit who has chronic problems with this and will
> most likely wind up having surgery. In the meantime, does anyone have
> suggestions of what to serve this person? I know that fried foods is not good,
> but that is all I can come up with.
> TIA
> Judith

It's not only fried foods, but fat in any form as I understand it. I had
two mouthfuls of ice cream which sent me to the hospital once when I
still had my gallbladder - I wasn't aware of the fact that I had any
problems with it - I had been asymptomatic up until then. Happily, when
I left the hospital two days later, it was without my gallbladder and
I've never had a problem since.
--
Donna
A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist hopes they are.

Vox Humana 01-07-2004 07:54 PM

gallbladder friendly diet?

"Mama2EandJ" > wrote in message
> >In the meantime, does anyone have
> >> suggestions of what to serve this person? I know that fried foods is

not
> >good,
> >> but that is all I can come up with.
> >> TIA

> Ask the guest in question. I had my gall bladder out and we never could

figure
> out what foods (if any) precipitated an attack. At the end I was living on
> Welch's grape juice popsicles and pretzels.

You have to watch those pretzels. They can make you pass out. Buy the way,
I would be thrilled to have a houseguest who could only eat pretzels and
Popsicles.

Mama2EandJ 01-07-2004 09:24 PM

gallbladder friendly diet?

>> out what foods (if any) precipitated an attack. At the end I was living on
>> Welch's grape juice popsicles and pretzels.

>You have to watch those pretzels. They can make you pass out. Buy the way,
>I would be thrilled to have a houseguest who could only eat pretzels and
>Popsicles.

Thanks for the laugh! I chewed my pretzels so remained conscious. Oddly enough
I still like them and those popsicles.

Dimitri 01-07-2004 09:35 PM

gallbladder friendly diet?

"MurphAssoc" > wrote in message
> I have a friend coming to visit who has chronic problems with this and

will
> most likely wind up having surgery. In the meantime, does anyone have
> suggestions of what to serve this person? I know that fried foods is not

good,
> but that is all I can come up with.
> TIA
> Judith

Very low fat:

Dimitri

http://www.chiff.com/health/disease/gallbladder.htm

Many people have gallstones and don't even know it. Little stones made of
bile salts or cholesterol form in the gallbladder. Until they begin to block
ducts or irritate the gallbladder they cause no problems. If your gall
stones are acting up, these sites should help with symptoms and treatment
information, low-fat diets, and recipes...

Vox Humana 01-07-2004 09:38 PM

gallbladder friendly diet?

"Mama2EandJ" > wrote in message
> >> out what foods (if any) precipitated an attack. At the end I was living

on
> >> Welch's grape juice popsicles and pretzels.

> >You have to watch those pretzels. They can make you pass out. Buy the

way,
> >I would be thrilled to have a houseguest who could only eat pretzels and
> >Popsicles.

> Thanks for the laugh! I chewed my pretzels so remained conscious. Oddly

enough
> I still like them and those popsicles.

Our guest room is available for the rest of the summer. The MIL has
competed her yearly visit.

Puester 02-07-2004 12:03 AM

gallbladder friendly diet?

Mama2EandJ wrote:

> >In the meantime, does anyone have
> >> suggestions of what to serve this person? I know that fried foods is not

> >good,
> >> but that is all I can come up with.
> >> TIA

> Ask the guest in question. I had my gall bladder out and we never could figure
> out what foods (if any) precipitated an attack. At the end I was living on
> Welch's grape juice popsicles and pretzels.

I had a neighbor who spent the six weeks before
her surgery eating Rice Krispies with water for
every meal, or so she said. That was what
convinced her she should have it removed.

gloria p

Mama2EandJ 02-07-2004 04:43 AM

gallbladder friendly diet?

>> Thanks for the laugh! I chewed my pretzels so remained conscious. Oddly
>enough
>> I still like them and those popsicles.

>Our guest room is available for the rest of the summer. The MIL has
>competed her yearly visit.

OK...I will keep that in mind! LOL!!

MurphAssoc 03-07-2004 12:52 AM

gallbladder friendly diet?

thanks to all......did ask her and got some good ideas from you all as well.
so far so good,
JM

sd 03-07-2004 04:48 AM

gallbladder friendly diet?

In article t>,
Donna Rose > wrote:

> t's not only fried foods, but fat in any form as I understand it. I had
> two mouthfuls of ice cream which sent me to the hospital once when I
> still had my gallbladder - I wasn't aware of the fact that I had any
> problems with it - I had been asymptomatic up until then.

Ditto. Greasy meals (sausages/frankfurters, cheese-covered anything)
did quite a number on my gall bladder. I spent two weeks eating dry
chicken breasts, low-fat cereal with skim milk, vegetables (no butter)
and bread. Could have been worse, I suppose.

> Happily, when
> I left the hospital two days later, it was without my gallbladder and
> I've never had a problem since.

You got two days? Wow! They were practically pushing me out the door
before the anesthesia had worn off (why they tell you that you can't
drive yourself home). :-p

sd

Donna Rose 03-07-2004 06:22 AM

gallbladder friendly diet?

In article >,
says...
> You got two days?

Well, yes and no. I spent the first day in the emergency room (or, more
accurately, in the hallway outside the emergency room.) There wasn't an
operating room available until the next morning. I had surgery the next
day and was released 24 hours later.

Edwin Pawlowski 07-07-2004 12:30 AM

gallbladder friendly diet?

(MurphAssoc) wrote:

> >I have a friend coming to visit who has chronic problems with this and

will
> >most likely wind up having surgery. In the meantime, does anyone have
> >suggestions of what to serve this person? I know that fried foods is not

good,
> >but that is all I can come up with.
> >TIA
> >Judith

Most cases fatty or rich foods can cause a problem. OTOH, some people have
just one or two things. I know of one person that could eat anything but
toast and butter. Spicy is usually not a problem.

You may want to ask your friend if there are specifics to avoid.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Hairy 07-07-2004 05:02 AM

gallbladder friendly diet?

(MurphAssoc) wrote:

> >I have a friend coming to visit who has chronic problems with this and

will
> >most likely wind up having surgery. In the meantime, does anyone have
> >suggestions of what to serve this person? I know that fried foods is not

good,
> >but that is all I can come up with.
> >TIA
> >Judith

I can't help with food suggestions as every time I thought I'd found
something safe to eat, I would find out in the most excruciating way how
wrong I was.
I will make two comments/suggestions, though.
If you prepare something that makes your friend sick, don't blame yourself.
There's no way to be sure that *any* food won't cause an attack.
Counsel your friend to go ahead and have the surgery, sooner rather than
later. I suffered for many months with mine because I didn't want to have
the surgery. As it turned out, there was less pain associated with the
surgery than there was with just one of the attacks. I went in to the
hospital one day and was released the next day. It makes no sense to wait,
IMO.

Mama2EandJ 07-07-2004 09:24 PM

gallbladder friendly diet?

>Counsel your friend to go ahead and have the surgery, sooner rather than
>later. I suffered for many months with mine because I didn't want to have
>the surgery. As it turned out, there was less pain associated with the
>surgery than there was with just one of the attacks. I went in to the
>hospital one day and was released the next day. It makes no sense to wait,
>IMO.

The only person my surgeon "lost" during a gall bladder surgery was a man who
waited too long and then his gall bladder burst, so his abdominal cavity was
filled with the "junk" from the burst gall bladder which poisoned him. Don't
wait. The surgery is not that bad and is much less worse than just one attack.
Take it from one who knows.

Mama2EandJ 07-07-2004 09:24 PM

gallbladder friendly diet?