Rona Yuthasastrakosol

Default I need Tilia foodsaver lessons

I have a Tilia Foodsaver but so far, I've only used it for cheese (I buy
big--by Japanese standards--blocks at Costco, cut them up and Tilia them).
Today I bought a large amount (by Japanese standards) of ground beef and
some ribs and need to divide them up and freeze them. Can I wrap portions
in plastic wrap and then Tilia them? Or would that defeat the purpose of
using a Tilia? It would be easier for me to remove the portions if they
were wrapped in plastic wrap first than if I put the meat directly into the
Tilia bags. Any suggestions for other ways to do this?

rona
--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and they will
**** upon your computer."

hahabogus

"Rona Yuthasastrakosol" > wrote in
:

> I have a Tilia Foodsaver but so far, I've only used it for cheese (I
> buy big--by Japanese standards--blocks at Costco, cut them up and
> Tilia them). Today I bought a large amount (by Japanese standards) of
> ground beef and some ribs and need to divide them up and freeze them.
> Can I wrap portions in plastic wrap and then Tilia them? Or would
> that defeat the purpose of using a Tilia? It would be easier for me
> to remove the portions if they were wrapped in plastic wrap first than
> if I put the meat directly into the Tilia bags. Any suggestions for
> other ways to do this?
>
> rona

Plastic wrapping is fine...won't hurt a thing. Best to tilia portioned meat
in their own tilia bags.

All the plastic wrap will buy you is protection/padding fron sharp stuff
like bones and fins. And ease in washing out (if re-using) the tilia bag.
If you are making meat patties/balls and then storing ...freezing the
patties on a cookie sheet first would help them retain their shape.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Rona
Yuthasastrakosol" > wrote:

> I have a Tilia Foodsaver but so far, I've only used it for cheese (I
> buy big--by Japanese standards--blocks at Costco, cut them up and
> Tilia them). Today I bought a large amount (by Japanese standards) of
> ground beef and some ribs and need to divide them up and freeze them.
> Can I wrap portions in plastic wrap and then Tilia them? Or would
> that defeat the purpose of using a Tilia? It would be easier for me
> to remove the portions if they were wrapped in plastic wrap first
> than if I put the meat directly into the Tilia bags. Any suggestions
> for other ways to do this?

Sure, you can wrap them in plastic wrap first. Am copying George
Shirley on this -- he's a Tilia faithful -- you'll find him at
r.f.preserving.

--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> An update on 6/27/04.

jmk

On 7/1/2004 5:06 AM, Rona Yuthasastrakosol wrote:
> I have a Tilia Foodsaver but so far, I've only used it for cheese (I buy
> big--by Japanese standards--blocks at Costco, cut them up and Tilia them).
> Today I bought a large amount (by Japanese standards) of ground beef and
> some ribs and need to divide them up and freeze them. Can I wrap portions
> in plastic wrap and then Tilia them? Or would that defeat the purpose of
> using a Tilia? It would be easier for me to remove the portions if they
> were wrapped in plastic wrap first than if I put the meat directly into the
> Tilia bags. Any suggestions for other ways to do this?
>
> rona

This is what I would do:

Divide meat into portions (1 pound or whatever works for you),
pre-freeze for 1-2 hours to harden up any juices in the meat (so the
foodsaver does not try to vacuum out the juice, just the air). Put in
foodsaver back, vacuum pack, label/date and freeze.

--
jmk in NC
Blair P. Houghton

hahabogus > wrote:
>Plastic wrapping is fine...won't hurt a thing. Best to tilia portioned meat
>in their own tilia bags.

If I have leftover pizza (usually square-cut sicilian)
that I want to save for a while (because who doesn't need a
pizza handy in the freezer?) I'll portion it out and pack
it in one long tilia bag. Then when I need some I'll just
slice it open, remove the part I need, and seal it again.
Leaves me in the end with like an 18-inch bag instead
of 3 6-inch ones, which are too small to be used again
for anything. And I leave a little space between
the portions, so it'll fold up in the freezer.

--Blair
"Pizza for feet."

LIMEYNO1

"Rona Yuthasastrakosol" > wrote in message >...
> I have a Tilia Foodsaver but so far, I've only used it for cheese (I buy
> big--by Japanese standards--blocks at Costco, cut them up and Tilia them).
> Today I bought a large amount (by Japanese standards) of ground beef and
> some ribs and need to divide them up and freeze them. Can I wrap portions
> in plastic wrap and then Tilia them? Or would that defeat the purpose of
> using a Tilia? It would be easier for me to remove the portions if they
> were wrapped in plastic wrap first than if I put the meat directly into the
> Tilia bags. Any suggestions for other ways to do this?
>
> rona

I have been using a tillia for quite a while. When in Florida in
February last February, I upgraded to a more functional one.

I use it for everything. For ground beef, I make 1/4 lb patties and
freeze them on a tray, then vacuum seal them. That way I can use them
for burgers or take out 4 for a stew or chili but don't have to thaw a
whole pound for 2 burgers.

I've gone off using them for cheese because we go through it so fast
anyway and when using the bags in the new machine take up more waste
with the way it seals.

Mom Peagram
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

<replying to my own post rather than wasting bandwidth thanking people
individually>

Thanks, all, for the replies! Since it had been done with success, I
pre-wrapped the portions before using the Tilia on them. It seems to have
worked so far!

rona

--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and they will
**** upon your computer."
--Bruce Graham

Tilia FoodSaver parts [email protected] Cooking Equipment 9 26-10-2018 11:40 PM
Tilia FoodSaver??? Rob Mills Barbecue 30 25-02-2007 01:22 PM
Tilia FoodSaver Bags [email protected] Cooking Equipment 6 10-01-2005 01:23 PM
Tilia 900 Foodsaver Skip Cooking Equipment 1 04-10-2004 10:04 PM
Tilia foodsaver does not suck good zak General Cooking 48 31-12-2003 03:22 AM