Posted to soc.culture.south-africa,rec.food.cooking
Peter H.M. Brooks

Default Nori snacks

While we were in Seoul we came to enjoy the magnificent and ubiquitous
sushimi. One of the best, and cheapest, treats was the fast-food lunch
treats. They were only to be found in ethnic Korean supermarkets, so I
don't know what they should be called in English.

They were the size of two and a bit packs of cards, in plastic wraps,
with different colours and Korean text telling you, presumably, what was
in them. For us, each was a lucky dip and everyone was tasty and a lunch
time experience.

On returning, I've tried a few times to recreate these with each attempt
a failure.

Finally I've managed to recreate them perfectly. I share my discovery.
No doubt others have managed this in an appropriately ethnic way, but my
disaster with the sushi rice on the stove leads me to believe that my
solution is worth mentioning. If you don't like it then don't do it!

I took sushi rice, a few handfuls, added three times their volume in
water, some strong Japanese rice wine, a dash or two of soy sauce and
gave it fifteen minutes in the microwave (five on megahot, ten on level
two). Out came a nicely glutinous but separate rice mixture that I put
in the 'fridge for two hours.

I had some very fresh tuna from the Salt River market, cut into small
cubes and lashed with soy sauce, wasabi, pepper, fresh lime juice, and
Thai fish sauce. I had some very ripe avocado treated the same way.

I filled a large cup sized bowl with rice, added the tuna and avocado,
topping it up with rice to the top. This was upended on top of the nori
that was then wrapped neatly about it making a black parcel.

Eaten in the hand, it was exactly the taste experience I remember.

Once you've got this right, adding chillies, anchovies, chives, lemon
slices, capers or what you will will only enhance the experience.

--
In mathematics you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
- Johann von Neumann
Posted to soc.culture.south-africa,rec.food.cooking
Moira de Swardt

"Peter H.M. Brooks" > wrote in message

> I took sushi rice, a few handfuls, added three times their volume

in
> water, some strong Japanese rice wine, a dash or two of soy sauce

and
> gave it fifteen minutes in the microwave (five on megahot, ten on

level
> two). Out came a nicely glutinous but separate rice mixture that I

put
> in the 'fridge for two hours.

I've made sushi rice a few times in order to make California rolls,
of which I am very fond. Works out to be a very economical starter
for a summer dinner party for 8. Anyway, one of the tricks is the
rapid cooling of the rice. I also use rice vinegar instead of rice
wine and leave out the soy sauce. I wonder how that changes the
flavour?

For the rolls I use smoked salmon, avocado and cucumber. With the
usual dips. Not very enterprising, but it works for even the least
adventurous guests without boring those who like sushimi.

--
Moira, the Faerie Godmother
I hope my standard of living doesn't go up. I can't afford the one

Posted to soc.culture.south-africa,rec.food.cooking

I noticed you have a 011 Number. I am from Gauteng. Do you have a
physical address?

Posted to soc.culture.south-africa,rec.food.cooking
Pandora

> ha scritto nel messaggio
oups.com...
>I noticed you have a 011 Number. I am from Gauteng. Do you have a
> physical address?

011 is the prefixe of Turin
Cheers
Pandora

Posted to soc.culture.south-africa,rec.food.cooking
William A. Bong

"Peter H.M. Brooks" > wrote in message
| While we were in Seoul we came to enjoy the magnificent and ubiquitous
| sushimi. One of the best, and cheapest, treats was the fast-food lunch
| treats. They were only to be found in ethnic Korean supermarkets, so I
| don't know what they should be called in English.
|
| They were the size of two and a bit packs of cards, in plastic wraps,
| with different colours and Korean text telling you, presumably, what was
| in them. For us, each was a lucky dip and everyone was tasty and a lunch
| time experience.
|
| On returning, I've tried a few times to recreate these with each attempt
| a failure.
|
| Finally I've managed to recreate them perfectly. I share my discovery.
| No doubt others have managed this in an appropriately ethnic way, but my
| disaster with the sushi rice on the stove leads me to believe that my
| solution is worth mentioning. If you don't like it then don't do it!
|
| I took sushi rice, a few handfuls, added three times their volume in
| water, some strong Japanese rice wine, a dash or two of soy sauce and
| gave it fifteen minutes in the microwave (five on megahot, ten on level
| two). Out came a nicely glutinous but separate rice mixture that I put
| in the 'fridge for two hours.
|
| I had some very fresh tuna from the Salt River market, cut into small
| cubes and lashed with soy sauce, wasabi, pepper, fresh lime juice, and
| Thai fish sauce. I had some very ripe avocado treated the same way.
|
| I filled a large cup sized bowl with rice, added the tuna and avocado,
| topping it up with rice to the top. This was upended on top of the nori
| that was then wrapped neatly about it making a black parcel.
|
| Eaten in the hand, it was exactly the taste experience I remember.
|
| Once you've got this right, adding chillies, anchovies, chives, lemon
| slices, capers or what you will will only enhance the experience.

I guess that it's "gimbap (??)" that you are referring to.
http://wikitravel.org/en/South_Korea

If you'd like to collect a few Korean products when you're in Joburg, then
call this Korean products shop 011 - 454 2420 or 082-901 0566. They also
ship orders at very reasonable prices.

Posted to soc.culture.south-africa,rec.food.cooking
Moira de Swardt

> wrote in message

> I noticed you have a 011 Number. I am from Gauteng. Do you have a
> physical address?

I see from the other posting in this thread that you are responding
to someone else altogether, but we'd love to see you participating
on the soc.culture.south-africa newsgroup.

We could use a few more charming, intelligent posters.

--
Moira, the Faerie Godmother
I hope my standard of living doesn't go up. I can't afford the one
I have now.

Posted to soc.culture.south-africa,rec.food.cooking
Peter H.M. Brooks

Moira de Swardt wrote:
> "Peter H.M. Brooks" > wrote in message
>

> I've made sushi rice a few times in order to make California rolls,
> of which I am very fond. Works out to be a very economical starter
> for a summer dinner party for 8. Anyway, one of the tricks is the
> rapid cooling of the rice. I also use rice vinegar instead of rice
> wine and leave out the soy sauce. I wonder how that changes the
> flavour?

I seldom use salt in cooking - when I do, I use what I call Zulu salt
(It says 'Lo Salt' on the bottle), so soy sauce is a bit of a salty
novelty for me.

> For the rolls I use smoked salmon, avocado and cucumber. With the
> usual dips. Not very enterprising, but it works for even the least
> adventurous guests without boring those who like sushimi.

All very nice. I should get some cucumber, that improves the texture nicely.

--
A society should be judged not by how it treats its outstanding
citizens but by how it treats its criminals. -- Fydor Dostoevsky
Posted to soc.culture.south-africa,rec.food.cooking
Peter H.M. Brooks

William A. Bong wrote:

> I guess that it's "gimbap (??)" that you are referring to.
> http://wikitravel.org/en/South_Korea
>
> If you'd like to collect a few Korean products when you're in Joburg, then
> call this Korean products shop 011 - 454 2420 or 082-901 0566. They also
> ship orders at very reasonable prices.

I think it's a bibimbap, but it isn't quite as I described.

Thank you for the tip. I saw a Korean shop on Rivonia Road, I meant to
try it one day when I find it open - probably at lunch time.

--
Politics are not an instrument for effecting social change; they are
the art of making the inevitable appear to be a matter of wise human
Posted to soc.culture.south-africa,rec.food.cooking
William A. Bong

> wrote in message
oups.com...
|I noticed you have a 011 Number. I am from Gauteng. Do you have a
| physical address?

The number is for Korean shop in Johannesburg - give them a call and ask for
their address - I have only done mail-order from them.

Nori Nori-Buffet worth Crawling in/Crawling out for hengsophiaxu Restaurants 0 14-07-2010 06:32 PM
question on Nori miket Sushi 4 28-09-2008 12:04 AM
Nori? What is Nori? Rick Nelson Sushi 17 17-10-2006 01:08 AM
Nori George Sushi 0 15-08-2005 06:47 PM
Nori too dry Taka Kai Sushi 5 09-03-2004 08:58 AM