Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bruce K.

Default Poll: What's your favorite yogurt starter?

Pease list starter culture, milk type , and non fat dry milk powder if
any.

Cultu Brown Cow Low Fat Yogurt

Milk: 1%

NFP: No
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Curly Sue

On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 08:16:17 -0500, Bruce K.
> wrote:

>Pease list starter culture, milk type , and non fat dry milk powder if
>any.
>
>Cultu Brown Cow Low Fat Yogurt
>
>Milk: 1%
>
>NFP: No

Cultu Greek yogurt

Milk: I want to use 2% but keep forgetting to buy it and end up using
whole milk.

NFP: No. I think of trying it every so often.

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Thelma Lubkin

Bruce K. > wrote:
: Pease list starter culture, milk type , and non fat dry milk powder if
: any.

: Cultu Brown Cow Low Fat Yogurt
any live plain yogurt in the supermarket cooler

: Milk: 1%
skim [makes a very thin yogurt, but we make many yogurt drinks]

: NFP: No
no
--thelma

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nathalie Chiva

On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 08:16:17 -0500, Bruce K.
> wrote:

>Pease list starter culture, milk type , and non fat dry milk powder if
>any.
>
>Cultu Brown Cow Low Fat Yogurt
>
>Milk: 1%
>
>NFP: No

Culture : Greek yogurt
Milk : full fat
NFP : 1 tbsp per batch (1 liter milk)

Nathalie in Switzerland

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
Bruce K. > wrote:

> Pease list starter culture, milk type , and non fat dry milk powder if
> any.
>
> Cultu Brown Cow Low Fat Yogurt
>
> Milk: 1%
>
> NFP: No

Non-fat dry milk Powder, "Sanalac" and some unflavored Dannon as my
starter.

Cheers!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~

Bruce K. wrote:

> Pease list starter culture, milk type , and non fat dry milk powder if
> any.
>
> Cultu Brown Cow Low Fat Yogurt
>
> Milk: 1%
>
> NFP: No

culture - Astro 3.2% plain yogourt with active bacterial cultures

milk - 2% or whole depending on what I'm using the yogourt for

nfp - no
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kamala Ganesh

Bruce K. wrote:
> Pease list starter culture, milk type , and non fat dry milk powder if
> any.

For a batch of 2 quarts of yogurt :
Culture : A tbsp of yogurt from the previous batch. Otherwise, a satchet
of Yogourmet.
Milk : 1% or 2% milk, whatever I have handy.
NFP : No!

- Kamala.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Denny Wheeler

On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 08:16:17 -0500, Bruce K.
> wrote:

Removing the lid from the cup.

--
-denny-
"Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth unannounced?"

"It's come as you are, baby."

-over the hedge
Posted to rec.food.cooking
maxine in ri

~
~Cultu Brown Cow Low Fat Yogurt
~
~Milk: 1%
~
~NFP: No

Trader Joe's greek yogurt, skim milk, store brand non-fat dry milk
powder.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Curly Sue

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 22:42:39 -0500, maxine in ri >
wrote:

>On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 08:16:17 -0500, Bruce K.
> connected the dots and wrote:
>
>~Pease list starter culture, milk type , and non fat dry milk powder
>if
>~any.
>~
>~Cultu Brown Cow Low Fat Yogurt
>~
>~Milk: 1%
>~
>~NFP: No
>
>Trader Joe's greek yogurt, skim milk, store brand non-fat dry milk
>powder.

I've never used milk powder; what does it do?

Sue(tm)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Curly Sue wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 22:42:39 -0500, maxine in ri >
> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 08:16:17 -0500, Bruce K.
> > connected the dots and wrote:
> >
> >~Pease list starter culture, milk type , and non fat dry milk powder
> >if
> >~any.
> >~
> >~Cultu Brown Cow Low Fat Yogurt
> >~
> >~Milk: 1%
> >~
> >~NFP: No
> >
> >Trader Joe's greek yogurt, skim milk, store brand non-fat dry milk
> >powder.

> I've never used milk powder; what does it do?
>
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

I used milk powder when I wanted to give skim milk some more body. And
it gives more protein into the yogurt if that should be a concern, and
more calcium:

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publication...ts/yogurt.html
Nonfat dry milk powder - Use 1/3-cup powder when using whole or low
fat milk, or use 2/3-cup powder when using skim milk. The higher the
milk solids the firmer the yogurt will be. For even more firmness add
gelatin (directions below).

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Curly Sue

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 18:38:08 -0500, maxine in ri >
wrote:

>The TJ's Greek has added cream. and the first batch I made was sooo
>mild, it almost wasn't like yogurt<g>.

That's what's so great about it! Tonight for desset we had strawberry
yogurt parfaits: frozen thawed strawberries on the bottom, some of my
non-yogurt yogurt, and granola on top. Beautiful and delicious!

> ran out of the greek yogurt,
>and used Axelrod's for the second batch. Sour, sour, sour!.
>
>This time, I picked up an 8 oz tj's fat free and will see what that
>does.

I've used the Yogourmet dried cultures, which work well. Also, did
you see my previous post about freezing culture starter? That way,
once you find one you like you can freeze portions in case you run
out.

Sue(tm)