Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ken Davey

Default Cancer Survivor!!!

Surgery was last Tuesday.
I was discharged from the hospital on Monday.
The operation was a success!
I can now add "Cancer Survivor" to my resume.

The gory details:
Operation lasted about three hours.
I received four units of blood during the procedure.
I had 80% of my stomach removed.

My recovery in the hospital was rapid and amazed my surgeon who stated that
my attitude had lots to do with that.
I replied that he had no small responsibility in this matter.
The staff at the hospital were the best!
And, BTW, anyone who dares to dump on the Canadian health care system in my
presence had better watch out!

Back home now I am learning how to live with my tiny tummy which should
return to a (more or less) normal size over the next six months.
I have been told that I will lose 10% of my present body weight during that
period.
Not a problem as that should bring me back to my traditional 'fighting
weight'.
Suprisingly, I have few dietary restrictions.
Miniature and frequent meals go without saying.
Ground meats are OK. Large pieces are a no no for a while.
All indigestable fruit parts (skins, pith etc.) are off limits.
The rest of the cautionary advice seems to merely match the current thinking
regarding a healthy diet.
One caution from my surgeon; Avoid chicken breasts!!!
He has apparently seen so many complications arising from eating these
things that he essentially believes they are evil.
I concur and have no problem eliminating them from my diet.

I have been given the green light to travel in December and my first move
after being discharged was to book a ticket to Honduras for the 7th of
December.
I figure that those tropical breezes will further accelerate my recovery.

I wish to thank all of you who expressed your support and prayers.

Sincerely.
Ken.

--
Volunteer your idle computer time for cancer research
http//www.grid.org/download/gold/download.htm

Posted to rec.food.cooking
limey

"Ken Davey" wrote in message

> Surgery was last Tuesday.
> I was discharged from the hospital on Monday.
> The operation was a success!
> I can now add "Cancer Survivor" to my resume.

That is superb news, Ken. This RFC community will be delighted to get the
news.

With your positive outlook, convalescence will soon be behind you and you'll
be winging your way to Honduras! Best wishes.

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Chris

"Ken Davey" > wrote in message
> Surgery was last Tuesday.
> I was discharged from the hospital on Monday.
> The operation was a success!
> I can now add "Cancer Survivor" to my resume.

Congratulations to you and your loved ones! Great news!!

> One caution from my surgeon; Avoid chicken breasts!!!
> He has apparently seen so many complications arising from eating these
> things that he essentially believes they are evil.
> I concur and have no problem eliminating them from my diet.

Hmm, that's interesting...what kind of harm do they do? I'd be interested
to hear more about the Evils of Chicken Breasts.

Chris

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"Ken Davey" > wrote in message
> Surgery was last Tuesday.
> I was discharged from the hospital on Monday.
> The operation was a success!
> I can now add "Cancer Survivor" to my resume.

You put a huge smile on my face. That's great news, and thank
your friend Mark again for letting us know. I was quite worried
about you.

> Back home now I am learning how to live with my tiny tummy which should
> return to a (more or less) normal size over the next six months.

WOW, I didn't expect the news to be that great! I'm very happy.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 01 Nov 2005 02:03:16p, Ken Davey wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Surgery was last Tuesday.
> I was discharged from the hospital on Monday.
> The operation was a success!
> I can now add "Cancer Survivor" to my resume.

Ken, this is amazing and wonderful news!!!

Stomach stapling and/or bypass surgery leaves you with even less functional
stomach, as I understand it.

I am so very happy for you!!!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"Ken Davey" > wrote:

> Surgery was last Tuesday.
> I was discharged from the hospital on Monday.
> The operation was a success!
> I can now add "Cancer Survivor" to my resume.
>
> The gory details:
> Operation lasted about three hours.
> I received four units of blood during the procedure.
> I had 80% of my stomach removed.
>
> My recovery in the hospital was rapid and amazed my surgeon who stated that
> my attitude had lots to do with that.
> I replied that he had no small responsibility in this matter.
> The staff at the hospital were the best!
> And, BTW, anyone who dares to dump on the Canadian health care system in my
> presence had better watch out!
>
> Back home now I am learning how to live with my tiny tummy which should
> return to a (more or less) normal size over the next six months.
> I have been told that I will lose 10% of my present body weight during that
> period.
> Not a problem as that should bring me back to my traditional 'fighting
> weight'.
> Suprisingly, I have few dietary restrictions.
> Miniature and frequent meals go without saying.
> Ground meats are OK. Large pieces are a no no for a while.
> All indigestable fruit parts (skins, pith etc.) are off limits.
> The rest of the cautionary advice seems to merely match the current thinking
> regarding a healthy diet.
> One caution from my surgeon; Avoid chicken breasts!!!
> He has apparently seen so many complications arising from eating these
> things that he essentially believes they are evil.
> I concur and have no problem eliminating them from my diet.
>
> I have been given the green light to travel in December and my first move
> after being discharged was to book a ticket to Honduras for the 7th of
> December.
> I figure that those tropical breezes will further accelerate my recovery.
>
> I wish to thank all of you who expressed your support and prayers.
>
> Sincerely.
> Ken.

Well done Ken! :-)
It's good to hear from you, and good to hear that you actually got to
keep part of your stomach!

Don't forget tho' to ask your doctor about Intrinsic factor and Vitamin
B-12. You may need to supplement B-12 with injections at some point.

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitaminb12.asp

Intrinsic factor is secreted by the stomach lining and is required to
absorb B-12 properly. Since you lost a good part of your stomach, you
may end up deficient. They told us in class that injectable B-12 was the
best way to deal with it.

Cheers!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article <3UQ9f.127$Qs3.109@trnddc01>,
"Chris" > wrote:

> "Ken Davey" > wrote in message
> > Surgery was last Tuesday.
> > I was discharged from the hospital on Monday.
> > The operation was a success!
> > I can now add "Cancer Survivor" to my resume.
> >

> Congratulations to you and your loved ones! Great news!!
>
> > One caution from my surgeon; Avoid chicken breasts!!!
> > He has apparently seen so many complications arising from eating these
> > things that he essentially believes they are evil.
> > I concur and have no problem eliminating them from my diet.

> Hmm, that's interesting...what kind of harm do they do? I'd be interested
> to hear more about the Evils of Chicken Breasts.
>
> Chris

I've personally found them to be a bit hard to digest, or at least I
used to until I discovered a good way to cook them. Chewing well and
properly helps a lot with proper digestion of anything.

It's amazing how many people wolf down their food and don't take the
time to chew it properly...
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ken Davey

Chris wrote:
> "Ken Davey" > wrote in message
>> Surgery was last Tuesday.
>> I was discharged from the hospital on Monday.
>> The operation was a success!
>> I can now add "Cancer Survivor" to my resume.
>>

> Congratulations to you and your loved ones! Great news!!
>
>> One caution from my surgeon; Avoid chicken breasts!!!
>> He has apparently seen so many complications arising from eating
>> these things that he essentially believes they are evil.
>> I concur and have no problem eliminating them from my diet.

> Hmm, that's interesting...what kind of harm do they do? I'd be
> interested to hear more about the Evils of Chicken Breasts.
>
> Chris

He said that they are very difficult to digest due to the fiberous texture
and can clump and stick in the stomach. He has cleaned out this stuff that
was three weeks old and still unaltered.

Ken.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ken Davey

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "Ken Davey" > wrote:
>
>> Surgery was last Tuesday.
>> I was discharged from the hospital on Monday.
>> The operation was a success!
>> I can now add "Cancer Survivor" to my resume.
>>
>> The gory details:
>> Operation lasted about three hours.
>> I received four units of blood during the procedure.
>> I had 80% of my stomach removed.
>>
>> My recovery in the hospital was rapid and amazed my surgeon who
>> stated that my attitude had lots to do with that.
>> I replied that he had no small responsibility in this matter.
>> The staff at the hospital were the best!
>> And, BTW, anyone who dares to dump on the Canadian health care
>> system in my presence had better watch out!
>>
>> Back home now I am learning how to live with my tiny tummy which
>> should return to a (more or less) normal size over the next six
>> months.
>> I have been told that I will lose 10% of my present body weight
>> during that period.
>> Not a problem as that should bring me back to my traditional
>> 'fighting weight'.
>> Suprisingly, I have few dietary restrictions.
>> Miniature and frequent meals go without saying.
>> Ground meats are OK. Large pieces are a no no for a while.
>> All indigestable fruit parts (skins, pith etc.) are off limits.
>> The rest of the cautionary advice seems to merely match the current
>> thinking regarding a healthy diet.
>> One caution from my surgeon; Avoid chicken breasts!!!
>> He has apparently seen so many complications arising from eating
>> these things that he essentially believes they are evil.
>> I concur and have no problem eliminating them from my diet.
>>
>> I have been given the green light to travel in December and my first
>> move after being discharged was to book a ticket to Honduras for the
>> 7th of December.
>> I figure that those tropical breezes will further accelerate my
>> recovery.
>>
>> I wish to thank all of you who expressed your support and prayers.
>>
>> Sincerely.
>> Ken.

> Well done Ken! :-)
> It's good to hear from you, and good to hear that you actually got to
> keep part of your stomach!
>
> Don't forget tho' to ask your doctor about Intrinsic factor and
> Vitamin B-12. You may need to supplement B-12 with injections at some
> point.
>
> http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitaminb12.asp
>
> Intrinsic factor is secreted by the stomach lining and is required to
> absorb B-12 properly. Since you lost a good part of your stomach, you
> may end up deficient. They told us in class that injectable B-12 was
> the best way to deal with it.
>
> Cheers!

Ayup.
Already had one B12 injection (damn those hurt!) and I have been told to get
one each month.

Ken.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Allan Matthews

On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 13:03:16 -0800, "Ken Davey"
> wrote:

>Surgery was last Tuesday.
>I was discharged from the hospital on Monday.
>The operation was a success!
>I can now add "Cancer Survivor" to my resume.
>
>The gory details:
>Operation lasted about three hours.
>I received four units of blood during the procedure.
>I had 80% of my stomach removed.
>
>My recovery in the hospital was rapid and amazed my surgeon who stated that
>my attitude had lots to do with that.
>I replied that he had no small responsibility in this matter.
>The staff at the hospital were the best!
>And, BTW, anyone who dares to dump on the Canadian health care system in my
>presence had better watch out!
>
>Back home now I am learning how to live with my tiny tummy which should
>return to a (more or less) normal size over the next six months.
>I have been told that I will lose 10% of my present body weight during that
>period.
>Not a problem as that should bring me back to my traditional 'fighting
>weight'.
>Suprisingly, I have few dietary restrictions.
>Miniature and frequent meals go without saying.
>Ground meats are OK. Large pieces are a no no for a while.
>All indigestable fruit parts (skins, pith etc.) are off limits.
>The rest of the cautionary advice seems to merely match the current thinking
>regarding a healthy diet.
>One caution from my surgeon; Avoid chicken breasts!!!
>He has apparently seen so many complications arising from eating these
>things that he essentially believes they are evil.
>I concur and have no problem eliminating them from my diet.
>
>I have been given the green light to travel in December and my first move
>after being discharged was to book a ticket to Honduras for the 7th of
>December.
>I figure that those tropical breezes will further accelerate my recovery.
>
>I wish to thank all of you who expressed your support and prayers.
>
>Sincerely.
>Ken.

Congratulations and welcome to the club.

Allan

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article <3UQ9f.127$Qs3.109@trnddc01>,
> "Chris" > wrote:
>
> > "Ken Davey" > wrote in message
> > > Surgery was last Tuesday.
> > > I was discharged from the hospital on Monday.
> > > The operation was a success!
> > > I can now add "Cancer Survivor" to my resume.
> > >

> > Congratulations to you and your loved ones! Great news!!
> >
> > > One caution from my surgeon; Avoid chicken breasts!!!
> > > He has apparently seen so many complications arising from eating these
> > > things that he essentially believes they are evil.
> > > I concur and have no problem eliminating them from my diet.

> > Hmm, that's interesting...what kind of harm do they do? I'd be interested
> > to hear more about the Evils of Chicken Breasts.
> >
> > Chris

> I've personally found them to be a bit hard to digest, or at least I
> used to until I discovered a good way to cook them. Chewing well and
> properly helps a lot with proper digestion of anything.
>
> It's amazing how many people wolf down their food and don't take the
> time to chew it properly...

not much chewing after I run em through my meat grinder, makes great
pattys/croquettes, fried, grilled, or baked... even meat loaf. I can't
eat skinless-boneless chicky titties any other way... whole, no matter
how perfectly cooked, still they are dry, tasteless, and have the most
unappealing texture... anyone serves this is just a lazy unimaginative
kitchen slug. And they are about the simplest meat to grind,
practically no prep required... just rinse, pat dry, season, and feed
em through with various veggies and matzo or saltines.... then blend in
a few eggs, add extra crumbs to firm up and form... bread if desired
and cook. Poached "gifilte" chicken breast in golden chicken soup is
luscious... far better than plain old matzo balls.... very nice cold on
a bed of lettuce with horseradish.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article <3UQ9f.127$Qs3.109@trnddc01>,
> "Chris" > wrote:
>
> > "Ken Davey" > wrote in message
> > > Surgery was last Tuesday.
> > > I was discharged from the hospital on Monday.
> > > The operation was a success!
> > > I can now add "Cancer Survivor" to my resume.
> > >

> > Congratulations to you and your loved ones! Great news!!
> >
> > > One caution from my surgeon; Avoid chicken breasts!!!
> > > He has apparently seen so many complications arising from eating these
> > > things that he essentially believes they are evil.
> > > I concur and have no problem eliminating them from my diet.

> > Hmm, that's interesting...what kind of harm do they do? I'd be

interested
> > to hear more about the Evils of Chicken Breasts.
> >
> > Chris

> I've personally found them to be a bit hard to digest, or at least I
> used to until I discovered a good way to cook them. Chewing well and
> properly helps a lot with proper digestion of anything.
>
> It's amazing how many people wolf down their food and don't take the
> time to chew it properly...
> --

My hubby and I never eat chicken breasts. We're dark meat people. Is the
same true with turkey breasts, by any chance? Are they difficult to digest
as well?

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article <3UQ9f.127$Qs3.109@trnddc01>,
> > "Chris" > wrote:
> >
> > > "Ken Davey" > wrote in message

> not much chewing after I run em through my meat grinder, makes great
> pattys/croquettes, fried, grilled, or baked... even meat loaf. I can't
> eat skinless-boneless chicky titties any other way... whole, no matter
> how perfectly cooked, still they are dry, tasteless, and have the most
> unappealing texture... anyone serves this is just a lazy unimaginative
> kitchen slug. And they are about the simplest meat to grind,
> practically no prep required... just rinse, pat dry, season, and feed
> em through with various veggies and matzo or saltines.... then blend in
> a few eggs, add extra crumbs to firm up and form... bread if desired
> and cook. Poached "gifilte" chicken breast in golden chicken soup is
> luscious... far better than plain old matzo balls.... very nice cold on
> a bed of lettuce with horseradish.
>
> Sheldon

I'd still rather just avoid the chicken breasts and stick to the thighs,
TYVM. Anyway, I'm happy Ken is cancer free! Congrats, Ken!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"Ken Davey" > wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >> Sincerely.
> >> Ken.

> > Well done Ken! :-)
> > It's good to hear from you, and good to hear that you actually got to
> > keep part of your stomach!
> >
> > Don't forget tho' to ask your doctor about Intrinsic factor and
> > Vitamin B-12. You may need to supplement B-12 with injections at some
> > point.
> >
> > http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitaminb12.asp
> >
> > Intrinsic factor is secreted by the stomach lining and is required to
> > absorb B-12 properly. Since you lost a good part of your stomach, you
> > may end up deficient. They told us in class that injectable B-12 was
> > the best way to deal with it.
> >
> > Cheers!

> Ayup.
> Already had one B12 injection (damn those hurt!) and I have been told to get

Sorry about that. ;-)
Sounds like you are good to go...

B-12 deficiency can cause all kinds of problems so I was hoping you had
been warned!

Cheers and be well!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article . com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> not much chewing after I run em through my meat grinder, makes great
> pattys/croquettes, fried, grilled, or baked... even meat loaf. I can't
> eat skinless-boneless chicky titties any other way... whole, no matter
> how perfectly cooked, still they are dry, tasteless, and have the most
> unappealing texture... anyone serves this is just a lazy unimaginative
> kitchen slug. And they are about the simplest meat to grind,
> practically no prep required... just rinse, pat dry, season, and feed
> em through with various veggies and matzo or saltines.... then blend in
> a few eggs, add extra crumbs to firm up and form... bread if desired
> and cook. Poached "gifilte" chicken breast in golden chicken soup is
> luscious... far better than plain old matzo balls.... very nice cold on
> a bed of lettuce with horseradish.
>
> Sheldon

Have you tried a Foreman-type grill?

For the first time in my life, they are coming out tender, juicy and
flavorful. I get the bags of frozen ones that have been brined. I used
to avoid them like the plague until I decided to go on a lower fat
diet... Then I tried them again. I used to swear by boneless skinless
thighs.

I coat the breasts in various condiments such as Italian salad dressing
and lately, plain yellow mustard whisked with a little grapeseed oil. I
then sprinkle them with lemon pepper and a few sesame seeds.

I'll do 5 lbs. at time and chill the rest. The cold ones are good sliced
thin and added to salads or steamed veggies.

If I wanted ground chicken, I'd just buy it (you can even buy ground
breast meat) and add my spices to that! Lots less trouble, but I find
that ground meat dries out even more when it's cooked. :-P

Except for beef of course.

Cheers!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Becca

Ken Davey wrote:

> Suprisingly, I have few dietary restrictions. Miniature and frequent
> meals go without saying. Ground meats are OK. Large pieces are a no
> no for a while. All indigestable fruit parts (skins, pith etc.) are
> off limits. The rest of the cautionary advice seems to merely match
> the current thinking regarding a healthy diet.

Congratulations, Ken, I am very happy for you. Do they have you on a
liquid/soft diet right now?

Your stomach will fill quickly, so eat slowly and chew your food well.
The food will come up if you are not careful. You do not want to stress
your stomach or the astimosis by vomiting. If you over eat, you will
feel miserable.

You will have problems with stomach acid, so get some Prilosec
(omeprazole). If you begin feeling nauseous and you have no appetite,
then you need the Prilosec. Have the chewable Gas-X on hand. You may
feel the need to belch after eating and the Gas-X will help.

You can take vitamins, but the only way to take in your protein, is to
eat it (or drink it). Focus on eating eggs, sausage, cheese, fish,
lunch meats, tender beef, dark meat chicken, seafood. Avoid nuts and do
not drink carbonated beverages.

Liquids and soft foods will go done fine. You will only be able to eat
one or two spoonfulls of regular food. Your stomach is very swollen
since you had surgery. In a few weeks, you will be able to eat more.

Do not eat rice, pasta or bread for several weeks. Those foods will
swell in your stomach and you will feel absolutely miserable when that
happens (been there, done that).

Ken, I am very happy for you. Get well soon!

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet Bostwick

"Ken Davey" > wrote in message
snip
>> Intrinsic factor is secreted by the stomach lining and is required to
>> absorb B-12 properly. Since you lost a good part of your stomach, you
>> may end up deficient. They told us in class that injectable B-12 was
>> the best way to deal with it.
>>
>> Cheers!

> Ayup.
> Already had one B12 injection (damn those hurt!) and I have been told to
> get one each month.
>
> Ken.

Give them to yourself. The doctor will give you a prescription for a
year's worth of B-12 and a dozen syringes. Easy and painless to do. I give
myself a B-12 shot once a month in the upper thigh. You must have gotten a
nurse that was using that special dull needle. Glad everything turned out
so well. All the best.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking
limey

"Janet Bostwick" wrote

> Give them to yourself. The doctor will give you a prescription for a
> year's worth of B-12 and a dozen syringes. Easy and painless to do. I
> give myself a B-12 shot once a month in the upper thigh. You must have
> gotten a nurse that was using that special dull needle. Glad everything
> turned out so well. All the best.
> Janet

Many thanks, Janet, for this information. I have been getting a B-12 shot
every four weeks this year. I'll be sure to ask the doctor for a
prescription - not only will it be more convenient but will avoid the
nuisance of the trip.

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Goodman

Ken Davey wrote:

> urgery was last Tuesday.
> I was discharged from the hospital on Monday.
> The operation was a success!
> I can now add "Cancer Survivor" to my resume.

Congratulations!!!

--
Dan Goodman
Journal http://www.livejournal.com/users/dsgood/
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Puester

Ken Davey wrote:
> Surgery was last Tuesday.
> I was discharged from the hospital on Monday.
> The operation was a success!
> I can now add "Cancer Survivor" to my resume.

Very good news!

> One caution from my surgeon; Avoid chicken breasts!!!
> He has apparently seen so many complications arising from eating these
> things that he essentially believes they are evil.
> I concur and have no problem eliminating them from my diet.

My friend who had gastric bypass surgery could never tolerate
chicken breasts. Her theory was that they are too dense and dry.

> I have been given the green light to travel in December and my first move
> after being discharged was to book a ticket to Honduras for the 7th of
> December.

A celebratory trip sounds like a Good Thing.

Congratulations and a speedy recovery to you.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet Bostwick

"limey" > wrote in message

> "Janet Bostwick" wrote
>
>> Give them to yourself. The doctor will give you a prescription for a
>> year's worth of B-12 and a dozen syringes. Easy and painless to do. I
>> give myself a B-12 shot once a month in the upper thigh. You must have
>> gotten a nurse that was using that special dull needle. Glad everything
>> turned out so well. All the best.
>> Janet

> Many thanks, Janet, for this information. I have been getting a B-12 shot
> every four weeks this year. I'll be sure to ask the doctor for a
> prescription - not only will it be more convenient but will avoid the
> nuisance of the trip.
>
> Dora

That's the problem. Not convenient, scheduling, waiting in the waiting
room, traffic, yada-yada-yada. I just set it up on my computer calendar and
now I actually get my shot once a month. Don't be afraid, the syringes are
really sharp and easy to work with. You'll get a bottle of the B-12. I
just keep mine on one of the shelves on the fridge door. The real advantage
of having a prescription and/or your own supply is in case of emergency like
Katrina or whatever. I think my year's supply of everything is about $12
at Costco.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Debbie

Ken Davey wrote:
>> Surgery was last Tuesday.
>> I was discharged from the hospital on Monday.
>> The operation was a success!
>> I can now add "Cancer Survivor" to my resume.

Congratulations Ken! This is great news. Keep up the great attitude and
your recovery will be rapid and successful as well!

Debbie

"The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and
stupidity." Harlan Ellison

Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Joneses

Ken Davey wrote:

> I was discharged from the hospital on Monday.
> The operation was a success!
> I can now add "Cancer Survivor" to my resume.

Way to go Ken!
I'm a gastric bypass patient so I know about tender tummies.
You may find yourself preferring cold preparations over warm.
Very common. After coupla weeks post op, I liked frozen
cooked shrimp cause I could eat 2 large shrimps for my supper.
Small slice of luncheon ham on lo fat cracker with Dijon mustard.
Cold seedless grapes, but spit out the peel. These are all separate
meals BTW. Best of luck. - Edrena

OB Food for a new tummy:
High protein smoothie tastes like Orange Julius:
1 scoop protein powder (soya is good)
3-4 ice cubes
4 oz orange juice, lo acid if need be or
few drops orange extract
4 packets Splenda® or to taste
capful of vanilla extract
pinch salt
4-8 oz skim milk or whole milk if you can take it.

Blender away for about until ice cubes fractulate.
Drink about 1/3 or 1/4 portion SLOWLY. Save rest
in leetle containers in freezer for hi protein frozen treat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
MareCat

"Ken Davey" > wrote in message
> Surgery was last Tuesday.
> I was discharged from the hospital on Monday.
> The operation was a success!
> I can now add "Cancer Survivor" to my resume.

Cool beans! Congratulations!!!

My husband, father, brother, FIL, SIL, and three close friends are all
members of the cancer survivor club.

Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pandora

I'm very happy you went over the surgery but I didn't understand a thing.
What have chicken briests? Why can't you eat them? Did your doctor tell you?
Cheers
Pandora
---------------------------------

"Ken Davey" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Surgery was last Tuesday.
> I was discharged from the hospital on Monday.
> The operation was a success!
> I can now add "Cancer Survivor" to my resume.
>
> The gory details:
> Operation lasted about three hours.
> I received four units of blood during the procedure.
> I had 80% of my stomach removed.
>
> My recovery in the hospital was rapid and amazed my surgeon who stated
> that my attitude had lots to do with that.
> I replied that he had no small responsibility in this matter.
> The staff at the hospital were the best!
> And, BTW, anyone who dares to dump on the Canadian health care system in
> my presence had better watch out!
>
> Back home now I am learning how to live with my tiny tummy which should
> return to a (more or less) normal size over the next six months.
> I have been told that I will lose 10% of my present body weight during
> that period.
> Not a problem as that should bring me back to my traditional 'fighting
> weight'.
> Suprisingly, I have few dietary restrictions.
> Miniature and frequent meals go without saying.
> Ground meats are OK. Large pieces are a no no for a while.
> All indigestable fruit parts (skins, pith etc.) are off limits.
> The rest of the cautionary advice seems to merely match the current
> thinking regarding a healthy diet.
> One caution from my surgeon; Avoid chicken breasts!!!
> He has apparently seen so many complications arising from eating these
> things that he essentially believes they are evil.
> I concur and have no problem eliminating them from my diet.
>
> I have been given the green light to travel in December and my first move
> after being discharged was to book a ticket to Honduras for the 7th of
> December.
> I figure that those tropical breezes will further accelerate my recovery.
>
> I wish to thank all of you who expressed your support and prayers.
>
> Sincerely.
> Ken.
>
> --
> Volunteer your idle computer time for cancer research
> http//www.grid.org/download/gold/download.htm

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Ken Davey wrote:
> Surgery was last Tuesday.
> I was discharged from the hospital on Monday.
> The operation was a success!
> I can now add "Cancer Survivor" to my resume.
>
> Sincerely.
> Ken.

Congratulations, Ken! Great news!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Curly Sue

On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 02:54:44 GMT, Puester >
wrote:

>Ken Davey wrote:
>> Surgery was last Tuesday.
>> I was discharged from the hospital on Monday.
>> The operation was a success!
>> I can now add "Cancer Survivor" to my resume.

>Very good news!

I lost the original post, so let me add well-wishes to this one

I'm glad to hear the good news!

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
limey

"Janet Bostwick" wrote in message >
> "limey" wrote in message

>> "Janet Bostwick" wrote
>>
>>> Give them to yourself. The doctor will give you a prescription for a
>>> year's worth of B-12 and a dozen syringes. Easy and painless to do. I
>>> give myself a B-12 shot once a month in the upper thigh. You must have
>>> gotten a nurse that was using that special dull needle. Glad everything
>>> turned out so well. All the best.
>>> Janet

>> Many thanks, Janet, for this information. I have been getting a B-12
>> shot every four weeks this year. I'll be sure to ask the doctor for a
>> prescription - not only will it be more convenient but will avoid the
>> nuisance of the trip.
>>
>> Dora
>>

> That's the problem. Not convenient, scheduling, waiting in the waiting
> room, traffic, yada-yada-yada. I just set it up on my computer calendar
> and now I actually get my shot once a month. Don't be afraid, the
> syringes are really sharp and easy to work with. You'll get a bottle of
> the B-12. I just keep mine on one of the shelves on the fridge door. The
> real advantage of having a prescription and/or your own supply is in case
> of emergency like Katrina or whatever. I think my year's supply of
> everything is about $12 at Costco.
> Janet

Well, not only convenient but a cost saving - I've been paying a lot more
than that at the M.D.'s office. Thanks again!

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking
cathyxyz

Ken Davey wrote:
> Surgery was last Tuesday.
> I was discharged from the hospital on Monday.
> The operation was a success!
> I can now add "Cancer Survivor" to my resume.

Very good news, Ken. Glad to hear it!
Keep well

--
Cheers
Cathy(xyz)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ken Davey

Pandora wrote:
> I'm very happy you went over the surgery but I didn't understand a
> thing. What have chicken briests? Why can't you eat them? Did your
> doctor tell you? Cheers
> Pandora

My surgeon has had patients with conditions similar to mine that have had
serious problems with chicken breasts.
It seems to be the texture that is the problem. I don't really understand
all of it but you can be sure I won't eat any until I am fully recovered and
maybe not even then.

Regards.
Ken.

> ---------------------------------
>
> "Ken Davey" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> Surgery was last Tuesday.
>> I was discharged from the hospital on Monday.
>> The operation was a success!
>> I can now add "Cancer Survivor" to my resume.
>>
>> The gory details:
>> Operation lasted about three hours.
>> I received four units of blood during the procedure.
>> I had 80% of my stomach removed.
>>
>> My recovery in the hospital was rapid and amazed my surgeon who
>> stated that my attitude had lots to do with that.
>> I replied that he had no small responsibility in this matter.
>> The staff at the hospital were the best!
>> And, BTW, anyone who dares to dump on the Canadian health care
>> system in my presence had better watch out!
>>
>> Back home now I am learning how to live with my tiny tummy which
>> should return to a (more or less) normal size over the next six
>> months. I have been told that I will lose 10% of my present body weight
>> during that period.
>> Not a problem as that should bring me back to my traditional
>> 'fighting weight'.
>> Suprisingly, I have few dietary restrictions.
>> Miniature and frequent meals go without saying.
>> Ground meats are OK. Large pieces are a no no for a while.
>> All indigestable fruit parts (skins, pith etc.) are off limits.
>> The rest of the cautionary advice seems to merely match the current
>> thinking regarding a healthy diet.
>> One caution from my surgeon; Avoid chicken breasts!!!
>> He has apparently seen so many complications arising from eating
>> these things that he essentially believes they are evil.
>> I concur and have no problem eliminating them from my diet.
>>
>> I have been given the green light to travel in December and my first
>> move after being discharged was to book a ticket to Honduras for the
>> 7th of December.
>> I figure that those tropical breezes will further accelerate my
>> recovery. I wish to thank all of you who expressed your support and
>> prayers.
>>
>> Sincerely.
>> Ken.
>>
>> --
>> Volunteer your idle computer time for cancer research
>> http//www.grid.org/download/gold/download.htm

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pandora

"Ken Davey" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Pandora wrote:
>> I'm very happy you went over the surgery but I didn't understand a
>> thing. What have chicken briests? Why can't you eat them? Did your
>> doctor tell you? Cheers
>> Pandora

> My surgeon has had patients with conditions similar to mine that have had
> serious problems with chicken breasts.
> It seems to be the texture that is the problem. I don't really understand
> all of it but you can be sure I won't eat any until I am fully recovered
> and maybe not even then.
>
> Regards.
> Ken.

Oh, yes! perhaps is the texture of the meat! Cheers and
congratulation again for your winning
Pandora

>> ---------------------------------
>>
>> "Ken Davey" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>>> Surgery was last Tuesday.
>>> I was discharged from the hospital on Monday.
>>> The operation was a success!
>>> I can now add "Cancer Survivor" to my resume.
>>>
>>> The gory details:
>>> Operation lasted about three hours.
>>> I received four units of blood during the procedure.
>>> I had 80% of my stomach removed.
>>>
>>> My recovery in the hospital was rapid and amazed my surgeon who
>>> stated that my attitude had lots to do with that.
>>> I replied that he had no small responsibility in this matter.
>>> The staff at the hospital were the best!
>>> And, BTW, anyone who dares to dump on the Canadian health care
>>> system in my presence had better watch out!
>>>
>>> Back home now I am learning how to live with my tiny tummy which
>>> should return to a (more or less) normal size over the next six
>>> months. I have been told that I will lose 10% of my present body weight
>>> during that period.
>>> Not a problem as that should bring me back to my traditional
>>> 'fighting weight'.
>>> Suprisingly, I have few dietary restrictions.
>>> Miniature and frequent meals go without saying.
>>> Ground meats are OK. Large pieces are a no no for a while.
>>> All indigestable fruit parts (skins, pith etc.) are off limits.
>>> The rest of the cautionary advice seems to merely match the current
>>> thinking regarding a healthy diet.
>>> One caution from my surgeon; Avoid chicken breasts!!!
>>> He has apparently seen so many complications arising from eating
>>> these things that he essentially believes they are evil.
>>> I concur and have no problem eliminating them from my diet.
>>>
>>> I have been given the green light to travel in December and my first
>>> move after being discharged was to book a ticket to Honduras for the
>>> 7th of December.
>>> I figure that those tropical breezes will further accelerate my
>>> recovery. I wish to thank all of you who expressed your support and
>>> prayers.
>>>
>>> Sincerely.
>>> Ken.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Volunteer your idle computer time for cancer research
>>> http//www.grid.org/download/gold/download.htm

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 02 Nov 2005 05:25:25p, Ken Davey wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Pandora wrote:
>> I'm very happy you went over the surgery but I didn't understand a
>> thing. What have chicken briests? Why can't you eat them? Did your
>> doctor tell you? Cheers
>> Pandora

> My surgeon has had patients with conditions similar to mine that have
> had serious problems with chicken breasts.
> It seems to be the texture that is the problem. I don't really
> understand all of it but you can be sure I won't eat any until I am
> fully recovered and maybe not even then.
>
> Regards.
> Ken.
>
>> ---------------------------------
>>
>> "Ken Davey" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>>> Surgery was last Tuesday.
>>> I was discharged from the hospital on Monday.
>>> The operation was a success!
>>> I can now add "Cancer Survivor" to my resume.
>>>
>>> The gory details:
>>> Operation lasted about three hours.
>>> I received four units of blood during the procedure.
>>> I had 80% of my stomach removed.
>>>
>>> My recovery in the hospital was rapid and amazed my surgeon who
>>> stated that my attitude had lots to do with that.
>>> I replied that he had no small responsibility in this matter.
>>> The staff at the hospital were the best!
>>> And, BTW, anyone who dares to dump on the Canadian health care
>>> system in my presence had better watch out!
>>>
>>> Back home now I am learning how to live with my tiny tummy which
>>> should return to a (more or less) normal size over the next six
>>> months. I have been told that I will lose 10% of my present body
>>> weight during that period.
>>> Not a problem as that should bring me back to my traditional
>>> 'fighting weight'.
>>> Suprisingly, I have few dietary restrictions.
>>> Miniature and frequent meals go without saying.
>>> Ground meats are OK. Large pieces are a no no for a while.
>>> All indigestable fruit parts (skins, pith etc.) are off limits.
>>> The rest of the cautionary advice seems to merely match the current
>>> thinking regarding a healthy diet.
>>> One caution from my surgeon; Avoid chicken breasts!!!
>>> He has apparently seen so many complications arising from eating
>>> these things that he essentially believes they are evil.
>>> I concur and have no problem eliminating them from my diet.
>>>
>>> I have been given the green light to travel in December and my first
>>> move after being discharged was to book a ticket to Honduras for the
>>> 7th of December.
>>> I figure that those tropical breezes will further accelerate my
>>> recovery. I wish to thank all of you who expressed your support and
>>> prayers.
>>>
>>> Sincerely.
>>> Ken.

Ken, I don't know if you're allowed to have it, but I think the meat from
the thigh and leg have much more flavor and a better texture. I've never
cared that much for chicken breast.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Leila

>From one survivor to another, congratulations Ken!

One year ago this week I started chemotherapy. I'm feeling fine now,
and living my life. Hope you thrive for many decades to come.

Blessings

Leila

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ken Davey

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Wed 02 Nov 2005 05:25:25p, Ken Davey wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

> Ken, I don't know if you're allowed to have it, but I think the meat
> from the thigh and leg have much more flavor and a better texture.
> I've never cared that much for chicken breast.

I am allowed - in very small portions.
I too feel that the *only* chicken meat is 'dark'.

Ken.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ken Davey

Leila wrote:
>> From one survivor to another, congratulations Ken!

> One year ago this week I started chemotherapy. I'm feeling fine now,
> and living my life. Hope you thrive for many decades to come.
>
> Blessings
>
> Leila

Thank you Leila.
Even though we know that the cure rate for most cancers is quite high the
word still strikes terror.

Ken.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Margaret Suran

Ken Davey wrote:
> Surgery was last Tuesday.
> I was discharged from the hospital on Monday.
> The operation was a success!
> I can now add "Cancer Survivor" to my resume.
>
> The gory details:
> Operation lasted about three hours.
> I received four units of blood during the procedure.
> I had 80% of my stomach removed.
>
> My recovery in the hospital was rapid and amazed my surgeon who stated that
> my attitude had lots to do with that.
> I replied that he had no small responsibility in this matter.
> The staff at the hospital were the best!
> And, BTW, anyone who dares to dump on the Canadian health care system in my
> presence had better watch out!
>
> Back home now I am learning how to live with my tiny tummy which should
> return to a (more or less) normal size over the next six months.
> I have been told that I will lose 10% of my present body weight during that
> period.
> Not a problem as that should bring me back to my traditional 'fighting
> weight'.
> Suprisingly, I have few dietary restrictions.
> Miniature and frequent meals go without saying.
> Ground meats are OK. Large pieces are a no no for a while.
> All indigestable fruit parts (skins, pith etc.) are off limits.
> The rest of the cautionary advice seems to merely match the current thinking
> regarding a healthy diet.
> One caution from my surgeon; Avoid chicken breasts!!!
> He has apparently seen so many complications arising from eating these
> things that he essentially believes they are evil.
> I concur and have no problem eliminating them from my diet.
>
> I have been given the green light to travel in December and my first move
> after being discharged was to book a ticket to Honduras for the 7th of
> December.
> I figure that those tropical breezes will further accelerate my recovery.
>
> I wish to thank all of you who expressed your support and prayers.
>
> Sincerely.
> Ken.

Ken, What wonderful news. I wish you a speedy, full and uneventful
recovery. Margaret
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Rhonda Anderson

"Ken Davey" > wrote in
:

> Surgery was last Tuesday.
> I was discharged from the hospital on Monday.
> The operation was a success!
> I can now add "Cancer Survivor" to my resume.

Wonderful news, Ken.

Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Syssi

"Ken Davey" > wrote in message
> Surgery was last Tuesday.
> I was discharged from the hospital on Monday.
> The operation was a success!
> I can now add "Cancer Survivor" to my resume.

<snip>

> Sincerely.
> Ken.
> =============

Way to go!! Congratulations!!! WOW!!

That is wonderful news indeed!

--
Syssi

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Allan Matthews
Nov 1, 2:23 pm hide options
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: Allan Matthews >

trolling spammer

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Same 3 posters.
Lying, trolling, spammer.

OT No Cancer! Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 37 25-01-2016 10:21 AM
Cancer John Tea 0 28-11-2005 11:32 AM
tea for cancer John Tea 0 28-11-2005 11:27 AM
PRIVATE Voyeur Survivor Shots (real4.jpg) 5239 [email protected] Chocolate 0 27-04-2004 09:34 PM
Exhibitionist shots from Survivor 1381 [email protected] Restaurants 0 27-04-2004 09:06 PM