Hairy

Default Milwaukee Bound

Wifey and I are going to spend a few days in Milwaukee, soon. Does anybody
know of any "special" places to eat while we are there? I've been to
Fuddruckers once and plan to see if it's as good as I remember it to be.
Need suggestions for good steaks, but am willing to expand my horizons.
Dave

Thelma Lubkin

Hairy > wrote:
: Wifey and I are going to spend a few days in Milwaukee, soon. Does anybody
: know of any "special" places to eat while we are there? I've been to
: Fuddruckers once and plan to see if it's as good as I remember it to be.
: Need suggestions for good steaks, but am willing to expand my horizons.
: Dave

email me for suggestions on restaurants [although it sounds
like our tastes are different]. Right now, I'd like to suggest the
Alterra Cafe at the lake. Fancy coffee, pastries, light food, but
that's not why I think it's worth a visit. It's on the lakefront w/ a
large outdoor seating area, and it's housed in what was until just a
few years ago, a working water pumping station. They've left all the
machinery intact, so it's an interesting little museum. Our lakefront
is still very beautiful, but your nose will know it if the cladophora
have returned.

Meanwhile, we're off to Santa Cruz and Los Gatos for a while.
--thelma
: Dave

Thelma Lubkin

Steve Wertz > wrote:
: On 30 Jun 2004 06:53:11 GMT, Thelma Lubkin
: > wrote:

:> Meanwhile, we're off to Santa Cruz and Los Gatos for a while.
:> --thelma
: I'm trying to think of food suggestions in Scruz, but I'm drawing
: a blank - there's really not much there, as you probably know
: having probably spent a fair amount of time there - At least when
: compared to food in, say, San Jose e.g.

: King Chuan, Royal Taj, Vasalis, and Charlie Hong Kong are my top
: four restaurants. O Mei? No thank you.

Our favorite Santa Cruz food adventure is going out to 99 Ranch
near San Jose, loading up on Oriental produce to cook for their
fabulous potlucks, then eating Vietnamese or Chinese food in SanJose.

You must know John DuBois, and perhaps my daughter Irene, too.
We're going out there for their wedding July 4, on the 15th
anniversary of their meeting at a beach party.
--thelma

: I miss Santa Cruz - but not for the food ;-)

: -sw
SportKite1

>From: Steve Wertz

>Kinda sad that everybody is leaving or left.

As in? I'm a fifth generation Scruzer and sorta got priced out of living there
6 years ago. But my family still lives there so I do get updates from time to
time. *sigh* I sure do miss that place.

>I'm trying to think of food suggestions in Scruz, but I'm drawing
>a blank - there's really not much there, as you probably know
>having probably spent a fair amount of time there - At least when
>compared to food in, say, San Jose e.g.

I've heard good things of Sestri - owned by the same family as Aldo's. El
Palomar used to be a favorite of mine as well.

Ellen

SportKite1

>From: Steve Wertz

>I was getting a pretty good deal on rent - decent 1 bedroom, 3
>blocks from the beach, on a no-traffic road (Santa Cruz is the
>weekend beach getaway for all of San Jose and surrounding
>communities). $750/month (112 Campbell Street - north of the
>infamous "Lower Ocean" area). It was still cheaper than living in
>San Jose/Sunnyvale, which is where I lived for 14 years.

Heh...I rented a cottage on Campbell, oh Lord, over 30 years ago, for $125. a
month.
I remember walking around the corner for a TOGO's when it was still the only
one, and good. The neighborhood got a bit rough for me the last couple decades.

>I miss the weather, the bike riding, the beach, the parks (Natural
>Bridges). Practiucally everything was in walking or biking
>distance.

Yeah, I miss the weather, the mountains, the beaches and the Farmer's Market.

>Sestri must be new. Aldo's and Palomar were decent, but not my
>type of restaurant fare. I was a big fan of fish and chips out on
>the wharf, too. But not [anything] from Stagnaro's. Beach Street
>Cafe was good breakfast, if I ever got up that early.

I was a big fan of Riva's (for the gelato, the grilled halibut and the
deepfried zucchini in that order) from the get go, though I worked at
Stagnaro's, upstairs. I liked Stagnaro's pink chowder and the shrimp/crab
cocktails, but the rest of the menu didn't do much for me. The Mexican cooks
used to make little wasabi penis's on my plates of Ahi Tuna (I bartended and
served the upstairs and had to run up and down to put in orders and fetch the
food.) They were wicked.

Man, I think about the Beach Cafe every day. Tropicana is located near where I
live and when they burn the orange peels it smells exactly like BC's orange
muffins. I wish I had that recipe. YUM! They made very good Eggs Benedicts.
Loved Zachery's downtown too. They made awesome sourdough pancakes.

Ellen

SportKite1

>From: Steve Wertz

>Shoppers Corner - now there's a grocery store I miss (Branciforte
>and Soquel). Excellent booze selection ;-) Some gourmet stuff,
>and a real meat counter.
>
>Ahh - the memories <sniff, sniff>

OMG....Shopper's Corner. My Great grandmother used to take me there shopping
when I was just a little girl. That avocado tree in the parking lot always
amazed me. Loved that place. Great wine and the pate truffle mousse was to die
for.

Ellen

mrs_cruella

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 01:21:51 -0500, "Hairy" >
wrote:

>Wifey and I are going to spend a few days in Milwaukee, soon. Does anybody
>know of any "special" places to eat while we are there? I've been to
>Fuddruckers once and plan to see if it's as good as I remember it to be.
>Need suggestions for good steaks, but am willing to expand my horizons.
>Dave

I never thought of Fuddrucker's to be "special." You might want to try

Milwaukee Ale House http://www.ale-house.com/

Balistreri's Bluemound Inn (There is also another location--68th
Street--that appears more moderate in price. We've only been the the
one on Bluemound.) http://www.balistreris.com/bluemound.shtml

http://www.foodspot.com/

http://www.onmilwaukee.com/

And don't forget to stop by Penzeys!

I'd love to hear where you ended up!

Living in the land of cows.
rosie read and post

be sure to make reservations at MR. B's ( stonewood village on
capitol drive in brookfield) for some of the best steak milwaukee
has to offer!

--
rosie
http://www.michaelmoore.com/

Ron G

You bet!

Try Maders (German Resturant) on 3rd St (Old World Ave)

Best---
Ron

Hairy > wrote in message
> Wifey and I are going to spend a few days in Milwaukee, soon. Does anybody
> know of any "special" places to eat while we are there? I've been to
> Fuddruckers once and plan to see if it's as good as I remember it to be.
> Need suggestions for good steaks, but am willing to expand my horizons.
> Dave

---