Posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini

Default Crab Bisque

Gonna wing it, but I made fresh chicken stock that's just calling to be used
for something. I have crab in the freezer, so crab bisque it will be. I
have to walk to 7-11 to get some cream (I called, they have it) and I'll be
cooking for the rest of the day.

Still debating on whether or not to add sherry. What do you think?

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

kilikini wrote:
> Gonna wing it, but I made fresh chicken stock that's just calling to
> be used for something. I have crab in the freezer, so crab bisque it
> will be. I have to walk to 7-11 to get some cream (I called, they
> have it) and I'll be cooking for the rest of the day.
>
> Still debating on whether or not to add sherry. What do you think?
>
> kili

Absolutely a dash or two of sherry. Add the cream towards the end of
simmering the soup.

Jill <---hoping the crab has already been 'picked'

Posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..
> kilikini wrote:
> > Gonna wing it, but I made fresh chicken stock that's just calling to
> > be used for something. I have crab in the freezer, so crab bisque it
> > will be. I have to walk to 7-11 to get some cream (I called, they
> > have it) and I'll be cooking for the rest of the day.
> >
> > Still debating on whether or not to add sherry. What do you think?
> >
> > kili

> Absolutely a dash or two of sherry. Add the cream towards the end of
> simmering the soup.
>
> Jill <---hoping the crab has already been 'picked'

Just got back from the store, nope, crab hasn't been picked, YET, but I'll
try using a fork this time. <g> Got the half and half and the sherry, so,
I've got to skim off my chicken stock, thaw the crab and begin the process.
I'll let you know how it turns out.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"kilikini" > wrote

> Just got back from the store, nope, crab hasn't been picked, YET, but I'll
> try using a fork this time. <g> Got the half and half and the sherry,
> so,
> I've got to skim off my chicken stock, thaw the crab and begin the
> process.
> I'll let you know how it turns out.

Just might be easier to pick when frozen ... maybe?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "kilikini" > wrote
>
> > Just got back from the store, nope, crab hasn't been picked, YET, but

I'll
> > try using a fork this time. <g> Got the half and half and the sherry,
> > so,
> > I've got to skim off my chicken stock, thaw the crab and begin the
> > process.
> > I'll let you know how it turns out.

> Just might be easier to pick when frozen ... maybe?
>
> nancy

Uh uh, it's in the shell. It's snow crab.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > kilikini wrote:
> > > Gonna wing it, but I made fresh chicken stock that's just calling to
> > > be used for something. I have crab in the freezer, so crab bisque it
> > > will be. I have to walk to 7-11 to get some cream (I called, they
> > > have it) and I'll be cooking for the rest of the day.
> > >
> > > Still debating on whether or not to add sherry. What do you think?
> > >
> > > kili

> > Absolutely a dash or two of sherry. Add the cream towards the end of
> > simmering the soup.
> >
> > Jill <---hoping the crab has already been 'picked'
> >

> Just got back from the store, nope, crab hasn't been picked, YET, but I'll
> try using a fork this time. <g> Got the half and half and the sherry, so,
> I've got to skim off my chicken stock, thaw the crab and begin the process.
> I'll let you know how it turns out.
>
> kili

Kili,

I nut pick works wonders. :-)

Or try a turkey skewer.

Cheers!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
notbob

On 2005-10-31, kilikini > wrote:

> Uh uh, it's in the shell. It's snow crab.

I suggest using the crab shells to make a stock instead of using
chicken stock. I know it's more hassle, but snow crab is very light
flavored crab. I think a rich chicken stock would overwhelm it.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"kilikini" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> > I've got to skim off my chicken stock, thaw the crab and begin the
>> > process.
>> > I'll let you know how it turns out.

>> Just might be easier to pick when frozen ... maybe?

> Uh uh, it's in the shell. It's snow crab.

Exactly, and the crabmeat might be more inclined to
come out in one piece. And the leg segments might
snap in two more readily, that's the best way to get
to the meat rather than trying to drag it out one end.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "kilikini" > wrote:
>
> > "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> > . ..

it

> > > Absolutely a dash or two of sherry. Add the cream towards the end of
> > > simmering the soup.
> > >
> > > Jill <---hoping the crab has already been 'picked'
> > >

> > Just got back from the store, nope, crab hasn't been picked, YET, but

I'll
> > try using a fork this time. <g> Got the half and half and the sherry,

so,
> > I've got to skim off my chicken stock, thaw the crab and begin the

process.
> > I'll let you know how it turns out.
> >
> > kili
> >

> Kili,
>
> I nut pick works wonders. :-)
>
> Or try a turkey skewer.

What's a turkey skewer? I've never heard of it!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2005-10-31, kilikini > wrote:
> >
> > Uh uh, it's in the shell. It's snow crab.

> I suggest using the crab shells to make a stock instead of using
> chicken stock. I know it's more hassle, but snow crab is very light
> flavored crab. I think a rich chicken stock would overwhelm it.
>
> nb

It's pre-cooked crab, won't get much flavor from the stock. I put about 2
inches of water in the pot to steam the crab. Shoots, didn't think to save
it, either.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "kilikini" > wrote
>
> > "Nancy Young" > wrote

> >> Just might be easier to pick when frozen ... maybe?

> > Uh uh, it's in the shell. It's snow crab.

> Exactly, and the crabmeat might be more inclined to
> come out in one piece. And the leg segments might
> snap in two more readily, that's the best way to get
> to the meat rather than trying to drag it out one end.
>
> nancy

So you suggest taking it out of the shell frozen? I've never tried that
before! I'll have to do it next time to see what happens. Makes sense that
you get the whole piece out. Thanks!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article > ,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "kilikini" > wrote:
> >
> > > "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> > > . ..

> it

> > > Just got back from the store, nope, crab hasn't been picked, YET, but

> I'll
> > > try using a fork this time. <g> Got the half and half and the sherry,

> so,
> > > I've got to skim off my chicken stock, thaw the crab and begin the

> process.
> > > I'll let you know how it turns out.
> > >
> > > kili
> > >

> > Kili,
> >
> > I nut pick works wonders. :-)
> >
> > Or try a turkey skewer.
> >

> What's a turkey skewer? I've never heard of it!
>
> kili

Those metal things you use to tie closed the back side of a stuffed
turkey. Like a long metal toothpick.

I did 2 lbs. of snowcrab last week and ate it on sourdough english
muffins with lots of butter. I used a nut pick to get at all the meat.
Worked great!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

kilikini wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> >
> > "kilikini" > wrote
> >
> > > "Nancy Young" > wrote

[snp]
> > Exactly, and the crabmeat might be more inclined to
> > come out in one piece. And the leg segments might
> > snap in two more readily, that's the best way to get
> > to the meat rather than trying to drag it out one end.
> >

> So you suggest taking it out of the shell frozen? I've never tried that
> before! I'll have to do it next time to see what happens. Makes sense that
> you get the whole piece out. Thanks!

Um, I have little experience with snow crabs, but I've shelled/picked
tons of Dungeness, and the way to get large pieces out whole is to do a
good job of busting up the shell. No need to be futzing around with
the pick, just think in terms of removing the shell from the meat
rather than removing the meat from the shell.

It may not matter for bisque, but freezing/thawing crab meat also
softens the texture noticeably. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article > ,
> "kilikini" > wrote:
>
> > "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message

calling to

bisque
> > it

they

think?

of

but
> > I'll

sherry,
> > so,

> > process.

> > > Kili,
> > >
> > > I nut pick works wonders. :-)
> > >
> > > Or try a turkey skewer.
> > >

> > What's a turkey skewer? I've never heard of it!
> >
> > kili
> >

> Those metal things you use to tie closed the back side of a stuffed
> turkey. Like a long metal toothpick.
>
> I did 2 lbs. of snowcrab last week and ate it on sourdough english
> muffins with lots of butter. I used a nut pick to get at all the meat.
> Worked great!
> --

Ahhhh, okay! I can imagine that would be the perfect tool for the job! I,
unfortunately, don't have any, but my mom did, so I know of what you speak.
I'm going to have to get some. What a great idea, Kat!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jeff Bienstadt

kilikini wrote:

> Gonna wing it...

Crabs got wings?

---jkb

--
"Damn you, brocolli!"
-- Stewie Griffin

Posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini

"Jeff Bienstadt" > wrote in message
> kilikini wrote:
>
> > Gonna wing it...

> Crabs got wings?
>
> ---jkb

In this case, yes!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Cindy Fuller

In article > ,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> "Jeff Bienstadt" > wrote in message
> > kilikini wrote:
> >
> > > Gonna wing it...

> > Crabs got wings?
> >
> > ---jkb
> >

> In this case, yes!

We were at Central Market in Shoreline (WA, just north of Seattle) on
Sunday, doing our weekly shopping. The store had LIVE king crabs, ready
to cook. SO and I looked at each other and wondered how the hell you
lower one of those suckers into the pot. Answer: VERY CAREFULLY.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Julian Vrieslander

In article
Cindy Fuller > wrote:

> We were at Central Market in Shoreline (WA, just north of Seattle) on
> Sunday, doing our weekly shopping. The store had LIVE king crabs, ready
> to cook. SO and I looked at each other and wondered how the hell you
> lower one of those suckers into the pot. Answer: VERY CAREFULLY.

King crabs are big, but spider crabs are even bigger. Some varieties
attain legspans over ten feet. Imagine wrestling one of those into a
pot.

When I was in high school, I worked in a lab that did research on spider
crabs. We sometimes needed two or more people to pull them out of a
tank and subdue them. After they had made their contributions to
science, some of these critters were broken up, boiled in whatever lab
glassware was available, and used to feed hungry postdocs and grad
students.

A pic:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:S...ukan_in_Osaka%
2C_Japan.JPG>

Videos:

<http://www.oceanfootage.com/stockfoo...SESSCKIE=2ef1b
1a29f10c8c4338470bc9cd5cd8c84eb0d5e>

Recipe:

<http://www.theworldwidegourmet.com/divers/egg/thorel-crab.htm>

--
Julian Vrieslander
Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article

,
Julian Vrieslander > wrote:

> In article
> >,
> Cindy Fuller > wrote:
>
> > We were at Central Market in Shoreline (WA, just north of Seattle) on
> > Sunday, doing our weekly shopping. The store had LIVE king crabs, ready
> > to cook. SO and I looked at each other and wondered how the hell you
> > lower one of those suckers into the pot. Answer: VERY CAREFULLY.

> King crabs are big, but spider crabs are even bigger. Some varieties
> attain legspans over ten feet. Imagine wrestling one of those into a
> pot.
>
> When I was in high school, I worked in a lab that did research on spider
> crabs. We sometimes needed two or more people to pull them out of a
> tank and subdue them. After they had made their contributions to
> science, some of these critters were broken up, boiled in whatever lab
> glassware was available, and used to feed hungry postdocs and grad
> students.
>
> A pic:
>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:S...ukan_in_Osaka%
> 2C_Japan.JPG>
>
> Videos:
>
> <http://www.oceanfootage.com/stockfoo...SESSCKIE=2ef1b
> 1a29f10c8c4338470bc9cd5cd8c84eb0d5e>
>
> Recipe:
>
> <http://www.theworldwidegourmet.com/divers/egg/thorel-crab.htm>

That's amazing!
Why don't we see those on the market??????
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel

In article

> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:S...ukan_in_Osaka%
> 2C_Japan.JPG>

I'm going to be having nightmares tonight!

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking
notbob

On 2005-11-02, Dan Abel > wrote:

> I'm going to be having nightmares tonight!

Yeah, me too.

They really are hideous. I saw a guy catch one in the SF Bay almost
under the GG bridge. It was so ugly the guy almost threw it back, not
knowing what it was or what to do with it. It had onlookers backing
up and going "eeuuwwww!". A Chinese fellow explained what it was and
took it off his hands. The local variety are much smaller, but they
decorate their shell with crud and look all deformed and corroded,
like something out of a nightmare. I suspect that one in the tank
would look even scarier in its natural habitat.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2005-11-02, Dan Abel > wrote:
>
> > I'm going to be having nightmares tonight!

> Yeah, me too.
>
> They really are hideous. I saw a guy catch one in the SF Bay almost
> under the GG bridge. It was so ugly the guy almost threw it back, not
> knowing what it was or what to do with it. It had onlookers backing
> up and going "eeuuwwww!". A Chinese fellow explained what it was and
> took it off his hands. The local variety are much smaller, but they
> decorate their shell with crud and look all deformed and corroded,
> like something out of a nightmare. I suspect that one in the tank
> would look even scarier in its natural habitat.
>
> nb

Looked delicious to me....... ;-)
LOTS of leg meat! The best part!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Shaun aRe

"Jeff Bienstadt" > wrote in message
> kilikini wrote:
>
> > Gonna wing it...

> Crabs got wings?

Only when unscrupulous people try to pass of flying fish as crab meat.

Shaun 'Oh, wrong thread...' aRe