Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

Default Food safety and making stock/broth using a pressure cooker

Granted, I've re-heated stock pots left overnight when my housemate
turned them off without my knowing it, and that is risky. IMHO since I
have a LID on it, airborn bacteria are not going to sneakily crawl under
my lid and into my pot, and any that were in there should be dead.

I'm still here..... and IMHO it never really damaged the taste any.
It was never a deliberate or frequent practice. Sh** happens.

However, I've totally eliminated the risk now and make all of my
stock/broths using a pressure cooker.

It's a helluva lot faster, easier, safer and works just fine.
The pressure cooker autoclaves the food, sterilizing it so bacterial
contamination issues are eliminated, and instead of taking hours on the
stove, you can pressure it for 30 to 40 minutes TOPS (less works too
for some stuff) and it's done.

Chicken feet, (which was the original issue) take at least 30 minutes
pressured to get to where they are pure gelatin.

And delicious.

Reductions are a different issue. I make sure that I'm going to be home
and awake when I do those. ;-)

Cheers!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:

> Granted, I've re-heated stock pots left overnight when my housemate
> turned them off without my knowing it, and that is risky. IMHO since I
> have a LID on it, airborn bacteria are not going to sneakily crawl under
> my lid and into my pot, and any that were in there should be dead.

They'll just have more time to grow in that cozy *warm* environment.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> In article >,
> OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:
>
> > Granted, I've re-heated stock pots left overnight when my housemate
> > turned them off without my knowing it, and that is risky. IMHO since I
> > have a LID on it, airborn bacteria are not going to sneakily crawl under
> > my lid and into my pot, and any that were in there should be dead.

> They'll just have more time to grow in that cozy *warm* environment.

That's the point tho'. There aren't any to grow if it was kept covered.
;-) All that were in there should have been killed after a couple of
hours of simmering.
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> Granted, I've re-heated stock pots left overnight when my housemate
> turned them off without my knowing it, and that is risky. IMHO since I
> have a LID on it, airborn bacteria are not going to sneakily crawl under
> my lid and into my pot, and any that were in there should be dead.

As others have suggested, stock is a breeding ground for bacteria.
Personally I wouldn't let stock sit out overnight and if for some reason
it did, I would toss it. Maybe I'm being too cautious but I'd rather be
safe than sorry.

> I'm still here..... and IMHO it never really damaged the taste any.
> It was never a deliberate or frequent practice. Sh** happens.
>
> However, I've totally eliminated the risk now and make all of my
> stock/broths using a pressure cooker.

I generally make stocks in a stock pot but have used the pressure cooker
when in a hurry. Since 95% of my stocks are canned up for later use, I
cool the stock as quick as possible then put the stock into the fridge
usually overnight. The next morning I remove the fat, bring the stock
to a boil, pour into jars, seal then pressure can.

> It's a helluva lot faster, easier, safer and works just fine.
> The pressure cooker autoclaves the food, sterilizing it so bacterial
> contamination issues are eliminated, and instead of taking hours on the
> stove, you can pressure it for 30 to 40 minutes TOPS (less works too
> for some stuff) and it's done.

IMO my pressure cookers are valuable tools in my kitchen. They make
quick work of stock when you want to use it that day. My problem is my
pressure cookers are not big enough to make large batches for canning.

> Chicken feet, (which was the original issue) take at least 30 minutes
> pressured to get to where they are pure gelatin.

We've never had these but they sound interesting.

> And delicious.
>
> Reductions are a different issue. I make sure that I'm going to be home
> and awake when I do those. ;-)
>
> Cheers!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
~patches~ > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > Granted, I've re-heated stock pots left overnight when my housemate
> > turned them off without my knowing it, and that is risky. IMHO since I
> > have a LID on it, airborn bacteria are not going to sneakily crawl under
> > my lid and into my pot, and any that were in there should be dead.

> As others have suggested, stock is a breeding ground for bacteria.
> Personally I wouldn't let stock sit out overnight and if for some reason
> it did, I would toss it. Maybe I'm being too cautious but I'd rather be
> safe than sorry.

As others have pointed out, you are most likely correct. ;-)

This was never a frequent occurence, but it happened enough to encourage
me to use the pressure cooker. We have a HUGE 3 gallon pressure canner
that can be used if I wanted to can stock.

> > I'm still here..... and IMHO it never really damaged the taste any.
> > It was never a deliberate or frequent practice. Sh** happens.
> >
> > However, I've totally eliminated the risk now and make all of my
> > stock/broths using a pressure cooker.

> I generally make stocks in a stock pot but have used the pressure cooker
> when in a hurry. Since 95% of my stocks are canned up for later use, I
> cool the stock as quick as possible then put the stock into the fridge
> usually overnight. The next morning I remove the fat, bring the stock
> to a boil, pour into jars, seal then pressure can.
> >
> > It's a helluva lot faster, easier, safer and works just fine.
> > The pressure cooker autoclaves the food, sterilizing it so bacterial
> > contamination issues are eliminated, and instead of taking hours on the
> > stove, you can pressure it for 30 to 40 minutes TOPS (less works too
> > for some stuff) and it's done.

> IMO my pressure cookers are valuable tools in my kitchen. They make
> quick work of stock when you want to use it that day. My problem is my
> pressure cookers are not big enough to make large batches for canning.
> >
> > Chicken feet, (which was the original issue) take at least 30 minutes
> > pressured to get to where they are pure gelatin.

> We've never had these but they sound interesting.

You really should try them. I guess since I grew up with them (as a
treat), I was never grossed out by the way they look.

They are no worse than trotters for sure. ;-)

--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob (this one)

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
>> OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:
>>
>>>Granted, I've re-heated stock pots left overnight when my housemate
>>>turned them off without my knowing it, and that is risky. IMHO since I
>>>have a LID on it, airborn bacteria are not going to sneakily crawl under
>>>my lid and into my pot, and any that were in there should be dead.

>>They'll just have more time to grow in that cozy *warm* environment.

> That's the point tho'. There aren't any to grow if it was kept covered.
> ;-) All that were in there should have been killed after a couple of
> hours of simmering.

Would that it worked that way...

If it were safe to do that, it would be common in recipes and the FDA
wouldn't object to interrupted cooks of processed foods (which they do).

One of the several things that happens when pots of hot soup are left
out with a lid on them to cool is that they become "sour." And it can
happen sitting there on the stove, cover never lifted after coming to a
boil. Overnight. I won't go into the whole horrific "40 quarts of beef
vegetable soup" story, but it most assuredly isn't so tidy as "it's
sterilized by cooking on the stove."

That souring is the result of spoilage bacteria growing most
enthusiastically in the nice moist, warm space above the soup and then
settling down into it. And there are pathogens that can survive that
temperature range, as well. Very bad idea to do that. Doesn't always
happen badly, but it can, and when it does, it's not worth all the other
soup it didn't happen to.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> That's the point tho'. There aren't any to grow if it was kept covered.

So you keep the stock pot tightly covered for the entire time? How do
you make sure it's maintaining the just-barely-to-the-simmer temp? My
stock pot is seldom fully covered, often uncovered, sometimes partly
covered. If evaporation reduces the liquid level below the solid
contents I add boiling water. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"Bob (this one)" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> >>They'll just have more time to grow in that cozy *warm* environment.

> > That's the point tho'. There aren't any to grow if it was kept covered.
> > ;-) All that were in there should have been killed after a couple of
> > hours of simmering.

> Would that it worked that way...
>
> If it were safe to do that, it would be common in recipes and the FDA
> wouldn't object to interrupted cooks of processed foods (which they do).
>
> One of the several things that happens when pots of hot soup are left
> out with a lid on them to cool is that they become "sour." And it can
> happen sitting there on the stove, cover never lifted after coming to a
> boil. Overnight. I won't go into the whole horrific "40 quarts of beef
> vegetable soup" story, but it most assuredly isn't so tidy as "it's
> sterilized by cooking on the stove."
>
> That souring is the result of spoilage bacteria growing most
> enthusiastically in the nice moist, warm space above the soup and then
> settling down into it. And there are pathogens that can survive that
> temperature range, as well. Very bad idea to do that. Doesn't always
> happen badly, but it can, and when it does, it's not worth all the other
> soup it didn't happen to.
>
> Pastorio

I won't argue it's a bad practice which is why I don't do it on
purpose... I just personally think the danger is over-rated sometimes IF
THE LID IS TIGHT and left on. It's never sat for more than 5 or 6 hours
and it takes awhile to cool. Log phase bacterial reproduction starts at
2 hours after the correct temperature is reached which is why there is
supposed to be a 2 hour limit to allowing food to sit out at room temp.

How many people observe that rule at parties?

Having gotten food poisoning from eating out (but only once at home from
a raw egg and I've already posted about that), I know it's not exactly
pleasant. Knocking on wood, I've never poisoned myself from using a
stock that got turned off and re-heated.

I'm also aware that it might not smell "off" and still be bad.

It's like the whole thing about making the nurses put on PPG paper lab
coats when they come into the lab to check out blood units. It's just
silly. We bleach counters 3 times per day or more, and the germs and
viruses are not going to jump off the counters on to them...

Cheers!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article . com>,
"aem" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> >
> > That's the point tho'. There aren't any to grow if it was kept covered.

> So you keep the stock pot tightly covered for the entire time? How do
> you make sure it's maintaining the just-barely-to-the-simmer temp? My
> stock pot is seldom fully covered, often uncovered, sometimes partly
> covered. If evaporation reduces the liquid level below the solid
> contents I add boiling water. -aem

I keep it tightly covered once it comes up to the simmer, yes...

At least I used to.

Now I use the pressure cooker. ;-)
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
~patches~ > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > ~patches~ > wrote:

> >>As others have suggested, stock is a breeding ground for bacteria.
> >>Personally I wouldn't let stock sit out overnight and if for some reason
> >>it did, I would toss it. Maybe I'm being too cautious but I'd rather be
> >>safe than sorry.

> > As others have pointed out, you are most likely correct. ;-)
> >
> > This was never a frequent occurence, but it happened enough to encourage
> > me to use the pressure cooker. We have a HUGE 3 gallon pressure canner
> > that can be used if I wanted to can stock.

> Hey accidents happen. I'm sure all of us have forgotten something out
> on the counter or stove overnight at one point or another. That's the
> problem with our hectic lives now a days, too much to do & to little
> times so sometimes we forget

In my case, I have help from an elderly housemate. ;-)

> I have a huge pressure canner too - 22
> qt Mirro - best thing I ever bought. My problem is when making stock to
> can I can't use the canner for making the stock because it is needed for
> processing the stock It was great when I had the huge bwb canner but
> it developed a few rust spots so I tossed it. Now the pressure canner
> doubles as a bwb when I remove the seal from the lid.

So buy another one? <lol>

Cheers!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> In article >,
> ~patches~ > wrote:
>

>>OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>>

>>>Granted, I've re-heated stock pots left overnight when my housemate
>>>turned them off without my knowing it, and that is risky. IMHO since I
>>>have a LID on it, airborn bacteria are not going to sneakily crawl under
>>>my lid and into my pot, and any that were in there should be dead.

>>As others have suggested, stock is a breeding ground for bacteria.
>>Personally I wouldn't let stock sit out overnight and if for some reason
>>it did, I would toss it. Maybe I'm being too cautious but I'd rather be
>>safe than sorry.

> As others have pointed out, you are most likely correct. ;-)
>
> This was never a frequent occurence, but it happened enough to encourage
> me to use the pressure cooker. We have a HUGE 3 gallon pressure canner
> that can be used if I wanted to can stock.

Hey accidents happen. I'm sure all of us have forgotten something out
on the counter or stove overnight at one point or another. That's the
problem with our hectic lives now a days, too much to do & to little
times so sometimes we forget I have a huge pressure canner too - 22
qt Mirro - best thing I ever bought. My problem is when making stock to
can I can't use the canner for making the stock because it is needed for
processing the stock It was great when I had the huge bwb canner but
it developed a few rust spots so I tossed it. Now the pressure canner
doubles as a bwb when I remove the seal from the lid.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article >,
> ~patches~ > wrote:
>

>>OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

>>>As others have pointed out, you are most likely correct. ;-)
>>>
>>>This was never a frequent occurence, but it happened enough to encourage
>>>me to use the pressure cooker. We have a HUGE 3 gallon pressure canner
>>>that can be used if I wanted to can stock.

>>Hey accidents happen. I'm sure all of us have forgotten something out
>>on the counter or stove overnight at one point or another. That's the
>>problem with our hectic lives now a days, too much to do & to little
>>times so sometimes we forget

> In my case, I have help from an elderly housemate. ;-)

LOL

>>I have a huge pressure canner too - 22
>>qt Mirro - best thing I ever bought. My problem is when making stock to
>>can I can't use the canner for making the stock because it is needed for
>>processing the stock It was great when I had the huge bwb canner but
>>it developed a few rust spots so I tossed it. Now the pressure canner
>>doubles as a bwb when I remove the seal from the lid.
>>

> So buy another one? <lol>

Ah but see the pressure canner cost me about $160 so I figure it can do
more than one chore. Besides it would never fit in my fridge. I was a
little sad when I tossed my old bwb canner. I had that thing since I
started canning by myself the year we got married. A lot of good jams,
jellies & pickles came out of that bwb! There isn't much chance of the
pressure canner denting or rusting so all is well.

> Cheers!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
~patches~ > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > ~patches~ > wrote:

> >>Hey accidents happen. I'm sure all of us have forgotten something out
> >>on the counter or stove overnight at one point or another. That's the
> >>problem with our hectic lives now a days, too much to do & to little
> >>times so sometimes we forget

> > In my case, I have help from an elderly housemate. ;-)

> LOL
>

> >>I have a huge pressure canner too - 22
> >>qt Mirro - best thing I ever bought. My problem is when making stock to
> >>can I can't use the canner for making the stock because it is needed for
> >>processing the stock It was great when I had the huge bwb canner but
> >>it developed a few rust spots so I tossed it. Now the pressure canner
> >>doubles as a bwb when I remove the seal from the lid.
> >>

> > So buy another one? <lol>

> Ah but see the pressure canner cost me about $160 so I figure it can do
> more than one chore. Besides it would never fit in my fridge. I was a
> little sad when I tossed my old bwb canner. I had that thing since I
> started canning by myself the year we got married. A lot of good jams,
> jellies & pickles came out of that bwb! There isn't much chance of the
> pressure canner denting or rusting so all is well.
> >
> > Cheers!

You need a bigger refrigerator. ;-)

Cheers!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
fresh~horses

Hi Om

What brand pressure cooker are you using? My very old Presto bit it
last month. Also, have you any information about nutrient loss with
pressure cooking? Although I used one regrlarly for about 20 years long
ago, and sometimes recently, I haven't any information on this. (Maybe
Bob...?}

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> Granted, I've re-heated stock pots left overnight when my housemate
> turned them off without my knowing it, and that is risky. IMHO since I
> have a LID on it, airborn bacteria are not going to sneakily crawl under
> my lid and into my pot, and any that were in there should be dead.
>
> I'm still here..... and IMHO it never really damaged the taste any.
> It was never a deliberate or frequent practice. Sh** happens.
>
> However, I've totally eliminated the risk now and make all of my
> stock/broths using a pressure cooker.
>
> It's a helluva lot faster, easier, safer and works just fine.
> The pressure cooker autoclaves the food, sterilizing it so bacterial
> contamination issues are eliminated, and instead of taking hours on the
> stove, you can pressure it for 30 to 40 minutes TOPS (less works too
> for some stuff) and it's done.
>
> Chicken feet, (which was the original issue) take at least 30 minutes
> pressured to get to where they are pure gelatin.
>
> And delicious.
>
> Reductions are a different issue. I make sure that I'm going to be home
> and awake when I do those. ;-)
>
> Cheers!
> --
> Om.
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack Nicholson

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article .com>,
"fresh~horses" > wrote:

> Hi Om
>
> What brand pressure cooker are you using? My very old Presto bit it
> last month. Also, have you any information about nutrient loss with
> pressure cooking? Although I used one regrlarly for about 20 years long
> ago, and sometimes recently, I haven't any information on this. (Maybe
> Bob...?}

Presto...
I have two. Mom's old one and a new one, but the new one needs a new
safety valve. Mom's has a slightly convex bottom on it. It's pretty old
but still works!

And no, I don't have that info. I imagine it would be better than
steaming as you are not discarding anything, and I doubt it's any worse
that simmering stock and stuff for hours on the stove top!

Cheers!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob (this one)

fresh~horses wrote:
> Hi Om
>
> What brand pressure cooker are you using? My very old Presto bit it
> last month. Also, have you any information about nutrient loss with
> pressure cooking? Although I used one regrlarly for about 20 years long
> ago, and sometimes recently, I haven't any information on this. (Maybe
> Bob...?}

There's a lot of info around about nutrient loss, but it's usually from
people in solid contact with the mothership. If you catch my drift...

Here's one that's semi-scientific, if a bit impractical:
<http://www.webhealthcenter.com/general/diet_nutrition_cooknut.asp>

Here's more density than most people want, but only across a limited
universe:
<http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/full/10.1111/j.1745-4506.2004.01511.x?cookieSet=1>

I can hear Robin Williams doing a cartoon Indian accent when I read
this. It points out cultural differences in ways a straight lecture
could never do. Oh, BTW, some decent, basic, info:
<www.nios.ac.in/SecHmscicour/english/LESSON_04.pdf>
I really found this one interesting. Serious glimpses of a different way
to consider food than I've been exposed to in any depth.

I'm sorry... what was the question? Something shiny caught my eye...

Pastorio

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
>>Granted, I've re-heated stock pots left overnight when my housemate
>>turned them off without my knowing it, and that is risky. IMHO since I
>>have a LID on it, airborn bacteria are not going to sneakily crawl under
>>my lid and into my pot, and any that were in there should be dead.
>>
>>I'm still here..... and IMHO it never really damaged the taste any.
>>It was never a deliberate or frequent practice. Sh** happens.
>>
>>However, I've totally eliminated the risk now and make all of my
>>stock/broths using a pressure cooker.
>>
>>It's a helluva lot faster, easier, safer and works just fine.
>>The pressure cooker autoclaves the food, sterilizing it so bacterial
>>contamination issues are eliminated, and instead of taking hours on the
>>stove, you can pressure it for 30 to 40 minutes TOPS (less works too
>>for some stuff) and it's done.
>>
>>Chicken feet, (which was the original issue) take at least 30 minutes
>>pressured to get to where they are pure gelatin.
>>
>>And delicious.
>>
>>Reductions are a different issue. I make sure that I'm going to be home
>>and awake when I do those. ;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"Bob (this one)" > wrote:

> fresh~horses wrote:
> > Hi Om
> >
> > What brand pressure cooker are you using? My very old Presto bit it
> > last month. Also, have you any information about nutrient loss with
> > pressure cooking? Although I used one regrlarly for about 20 years long
> > ago, and sometimes recently, I haven't any information on this. (Maybe
> > Bob...?}

> There's a lot of info around about nutrient loss, but it's usually from
> people in solid contact with the mothership. If you catch my drift...
>
> Here's one that's semi-scientific, if a bit impractical:
> <http://www.webhealthcenter.com/general/diet_nutrition_cooknut.asp>
>
> Here's more density than most people want, but only across a limited
> universe:
> <http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi...004.01511.x?co
> okieSet=1>
>
> I can hear Robin Williams doing a cartoon Indian accent when I read
> this. It points out cultural differences in ways a straight lecture
> could never do. Oh, BTW, some decent, basic, info:
> <www.nios.ac.in/SecHmscicour/english/LESSON_04.pdf>
> I really found this one interesting. Serious glimpses of a different way
> to consider food than I've been exposed to in any depth.
>
> I'm sorry... what was the question? Something shiny caught my eye...
>
> Pastorio

ROFL!!! Thanks for that! ;-)
If one is really worried about nutrient loss, just eat all your food raw.
But then there is that whole thing about stomach acids.....

IV/TPN anyone?

Cheers!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

<snip>
>>Ah but see the pressure canner cost me about $160 so I figure it can do
>>more than one chore. Besides it would never fit in my fridge. I was a
>>little sad when I tossed my old bwb canner. I had that thing since I
>>started canning by myself the year we got married. A lot of good jams,
>>jellies & pickles came out of that bwb! There isn't much chance of the
>>pressure canner denting or rusting so all is well.
>>
>>>Cheers!

> You need a bigger refrigerator. ;-)

Unfortunately there is nowhere to put a bigger fridge. What I need is a
bigger kitchen with a lot more counter space. It might be addition time
soon!

> Cheers!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~

fresh~horses wrote:

> Hi Om
>
> What brand pressure cooker are you using? My very old Presto bit it
> last month. Also, have you any information about nutrient loss with
> pressure cooking? Although I used one regrlarly for about 20 years long
> ago, and sometimes recently, I haven't any information on this. (Maybe
> Bob...?}

I'm not Om but can tell you I have a Jasi 6 qt cooker, Fagor 4 qt
cooker, and Mirro 22 at canner/cooker. I really like the Fagor as the
regulator is in the handle so it is a lot quieter than the Jasi and the
Mirro both of which have rocker regulators. The Mirro is heavy aluminum
which isn't a problem as I only use it for canning so food doesn't come
in direct contact. The Jasi is also aluminum. In hindsight I should
have bought stainless steel and am planning on replacing it with a
Lagostina 7L stainless steel pressure cooker. The Fagor is stainless
steel. My advice is to buy stainless steel and buy bigger than you
think you will need. A 4 qt is really limited as to what you can use it
for whereas a larger pressure canner is more versatile. Oh and if you
can try to get one with a rack or find a rack to fit to keep some meats
off the bottom when desired.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
~patches~ > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> <snip>
> >>Ah but see the pressure canner cost me about $160 so I figure it can do
> >>more than one chore. Besides it would never fit in my fridge. I was a
> >>little sad when I tossed my old bwb canner. I had that thing since I
> >>started canning by myself the year we got married. A lot of good jams,
> >>jellies & pickles came out of that bwb! There isn't much chance of the
> >>pressure canner denting or rusting so all is well.

> > You need a bigger refrigerator. ;-)

> Unfortunately there is nowhere to put a bigger fridge. What I need is a
> bigger kitchen with a lot more counter space. It might be addition time
> soon!

The 40 cubic ft. Hobart unit I scored from the lab lives on the enclosed
sun porch. ;-) It's air conditioned so it's cool (pun intended).

Got it for $200.00.

And it's cost me about another $600.00 over the past 4 years to keep it
alive since it's so old, but that's ok! I love it.

Market value is at least $2,000.

Cheers!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> In article >,
> "Bob (this one)" > wrote:
>

>>fresh~horses wrote:
>>
>>>Hi Om
>>>
>>>What brand pressure cooker are you using? My very old Presto bit it
>>>last month. Also, have you any information about nutrient loss with
>>>pressure cooking? Although I used one regrlarly for about 20 years long
>>>ago, and sometimes recently, I haven't any information on this. (Maybe
>>>Bob...?}

>>There's a lot of info around about nutrient loss, but it's usually from
>>people in solid contact with the mothership. If you catch my drift...
>>
>>Here's one that's semi-scientific, if a bit impractical:
>><http://www.webhealthcenter.com/general/diet_nutrition_cooknut.asp>
>>
>>Here's more density than most people want, but only across a limited
>>universe:
>><http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi...004.01511.x?co
>>okieSet=1>
>>
>>I can hear Robin Williams doing a cartoon Indian accent when I read
>>this. It points out cultural differences in ways a straight lecture
>>could never do. Oh, BTW, some decent, basic, info:
>><www.nios.ac.in/SecHmscicour/english/LESSON_04.pdf>
>>I really found this one interesting. Serious glimpses of a different way
>>to consider food than I've been exposed to in any depth.
>>
>>I'm sorry... what was the question? Something shiny caught my eye...
>>
>>Pastorio

> ROFL!!! Thanks for that! ;-)
> If one is really worried about nutrient loss, just eat all your food raw.
> But then there is that whole thing about stomach acids.....
>
> IV/TPN anyone?
>
> Cheers!

Even raw you won't be getting the full nutrients. You need to eat the
produce as soon as it is picked to get the most nutrients. That isn't
always practical. As far as the pressure cooker I was under the
impression the nutrients lost from any veggies went directly into the
sauce since they can't escape. Some nutrients may break down during the
cooking process though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
~patches~ > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > In article >,

> >>There's a lot of info around about nutrient loss, but it's usually from
> >>people in solid contact with the mothership. If you catch my drift...
> >>
> >>Here's one that's semi-scientific, if a bit impractical:
> >><http://www.webhealthcenter.com/general/diet_nutrition_cooknut.asp>
> >>
> >>Here's more density than most people want, but only across a limited
> >>universe:
> >><http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi....2004.01511.x?
> >>co
> >>okieSet=1>
> >>
> >>I can hear Robin Williams doing a cartoon Indian accent when I read
> >>this. It points out cultural differences in ways a straight lecture
> >>could never do. Oh, BTW, some decent, basic, info:
> >><www.nios.ac.in/SecHmscicour/english/LESSON_04.pdf>
> >>I really found this one interesting. Serious glimpses of a different way
> >>to consider food than I've been exposed to in any depth.
> >>
> >>I'm sorry... what was the question? Something shiny caught my eye...
> >>
> >>Pastorio

> > ROFL!!! Thanks for that! ;-)
> > If one is really worried about nutrient loss, just eat all your food raw.
> > But then there is that whole thing about stomach acids.....
> >
> > IV/TPN anyone?
> >
> > Cheers!

> Even raw you won't be getting the full nutrients. You need to eat the
> produce as soon as it is picked to get the most nutrients. That isn't
> always practical. As far as the pressure cooker I was under the
> impression the nutrients lost from any veggies went directly into the
> sauce since they can't escape. Some nutrients may break down during the
> cooking process though.

That was kinda my point. ;-)
Also, some nutrients are made MORE available by cooking!
Especially the more fibrous veggies.

Cheers!
--
Om.