FoodBanter.com

-   -   How stupid I was to be chatting to a guest while cooking and carelessly deposit a heaped teaspoon of salt into the sauce instead of the 10 litres of simmering water, awaiting its pasta. (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/72874-how-stupid-i-chatting.html)

Peter 27-10-2005 11:42 PM

How stupid I was to be chatting to a guest while cooking and carelessly deposit a heaped teaspoon of salt into the sauce instead of the 10 litres of simmering water, awaiting its pasta.

How stupid I was to be chatting to a guest while cooking and
carelessly deposit a heaped teaspoon of salt into the sauce instead of
the 10 litres of simmering water, awaiting its pasta.

Does the potato trick work effectively? Sure, I used it and created a
few very salty potatoes, but are there any better remedies for acute
over salting?

Ward Abbott 28-10-2005 01:19 AM

How stupid I was to be chatting to a guest while cooking and carelessly deposit a heaped teaspoon of salt into the sauce instead of the 10 litres of simmering water, awaiting its pasta.

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 23:42:52 +0100, Peter
> wrote:

>How stupid I was to be chatting to a guest while cooking

Were you expecting a random Usenet reader to interpret your ineptness?

Bob (this one) 28-10-2005 01:24 AM

Peter wrote:
> How stupid I was to be chatting to a guest while cooking and
> carelessly deposit a heaped teaspoon of salt into the sauce instead
> of the 10 litres of simmering water, awaiting its pasta.
>
> Does the potato trick work effectively?

No. It doesn't. The potato absorbs a little water and carries however
much salt is dissolved in just that amount of water into itself.

> Sure, I used it and created a few very salty potatoes,

I'm afraid I don't believe you.

> but are there
> any better remedies for acute over salting?

Dilution. Period.

Pastorio

sf 28-10-2005 06:14 AM

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 00:19:16 GMT, Ward Abbott wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 23:42:52 +0100, Peter
> > wrote:
>
> >How stupid I was to be chatting to a guest while cooking

> Were you expecting a random Usenet reader to interpret your ineptness?

That's just plain mean. She asked an honest question and prefaced it
with the reason why she needs to ask it.

jacqui{JB} 28-10-2005 10:41 AM

"Peter" > wrote in message

> Does the potato trick work effectively? Sure,
> I used it and created a few very salty potatoes,
> but are there any better remedies for acute
> over salting?

Chucking it and starting over.
-j

Ward Abbott 28-10-2005 11:16 AM

How stupid I was to be chatting to a guest while cooking and carelessly deposit a heaped teaspoon of salt into the sauce instead of the 10 litres of simmering water, awaiting its pasta.

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 22:14:18 -0700, sf >
wrote:

>That's just plain mean. She asked an honest question and prefaced it
>with the reason why she needs to ask it.

SHE OPENED the door and asked the question. Moral of the
story....never ask a question that you don't want to hear the answer
to. Yes...the truth can be painful at times.

Take an honest look at the subject line....just endless blather when a
four word subject line would be more appropriate.

Nancy Young 28-10-2005 12:51 PM

How stupid I was to be chatting to a guest while cooking and carelessly deposit a heaped teaspoon of salt into the sauce instead of the 10 litres of simmering water, awaiting its pasta.

"Ward Abbott" > wrote

> On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 22:14:18 -0700, sf >
> wrote:
>
>>That's just plain mean. She asked an honest question and prefaced it
>>with the reason why she needs to ask it.

> SHE OPENED the door and asked the question.

A *rhetorical* question, it's this new thing. Just poking a little
fun at themselves.

nancy

Wayne Boatwright 28-10-2005 01:13 PM

On Fri 28 Oct 2005 04:51:03a, Nancy Young wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Ward Abbott" > wrote
>
>> On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 22:14:18 -0700, sf >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>That's just plain mean. She asked an honest question and prefaced it
>>>with the reason why she needs to ask it.

>> SHE OPENED the door and asked the question.

> A *rhetorical* question, it's this new thing. Just poking a little
> fun at themselves.
>
> nancy

Like, how stupid am I to be reading this? No, don't answer that. It's a
rhetorical question. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey

Phred 28-10-2005 02:35 PM

In article >, sfpipeline_at_gmail.com wrote:
>On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 00:19:16 GMT, Ward Abbott wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 23:42:52 +0100, Peter
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >How stupid I was to be chatting to a guest while cooking

>> Were you expecting a random Usenet reader to interpret your ineptness?
>>

>That's just plain mean. She asked an honest question and prefaced it
>with the reason why she needs to ask it.

At this end of the globe a she Peter is a Peta. YMMV.

(But a he Peter would explain a lot of this incompetence -- take that
"chatting" with a bottle of red and salt in the sauce is probably
inevitable. ;-)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

sf 29-10-2005 07:54 AM

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 13:35:51 GMT, Phred wrote:

> (But a he Peter would explain a lot of this incompetence -- take that
> "chatting" with a bottle of red and salt in the sauce is probably
> inevitable. ;-)

If a certain liquid was consumed during the cooking period... so what?
Why pick on her? It's not an unusual situation.

RobtE 29-10-2005 10:13 AM

Ward Abbott wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 22:14:18 -0700, sf >
> wrote:
>

>>That's just plain mean. She asked an honest question and prefaced it
>>with the reason why she needs to ask it.

> SHE OPENED the door and asked the question. Moral of the
> story....never ask a question that you don't want to hear the answer
> to. Yes...the truth can be painful at times.
>
> Take an honest look at the subject line....just endless blather when a
> four word subject line would be more appropriate.

Before you fire off a smart-arse reply to a post, Ward, you might want
to check your own reading ability. Do you see a question in the OP's
first paragraph? No, it's a statement - "How stupid I was...".

That you would take the effort to write a pompous, arrogant and "just
plain mean" response but not take the effort to read the OP carefully
first tells us a hell of a lot about you, namely, that you're pompous,
arrogant and "just plain mean."

Have a nice day.

Phred 29-10-2005 11:51 AM

How stupid I was to be chatting to a guest while cooking and carelessly deposit a heaped teaspoon of salt into the sauce instead of the 10 litres of simmering water, awaiting its pasta.

In article >, sfpipeline_at_gmail.com wrote:
>On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 13:35:51 GMT, Phred wrote:
>
>> (But a he Peter would explain a lot of this incompetence -- take that
>> "chatting" with a bottle of red and salt in the sauce is probably
>> inevitable. ;-)

>If a certain liquid was consumed during the cooking period... so what?
>Why pick on her? It's not an unusual situation.

I was going to reply, but I'm afraid I'll be wholly misconstrued
again.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

sf 29-10-2005 04:42 PM

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 10:51:45 GMT, Phred wrote:

> In article >, sfpipeline_at_gmail.com wrote:
> >On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 13:35:51 GMT, Phred wrote:
> >
> >> (But a he Peter would explain a lot of this incompetence -- take that
> >> "chatting" with a bottle of red and salt in the sauce is probably
> >> inevitable. ;-)

> >If a certain liquid was consumed during the cooking period... so what?
> >Why pick on her? It's not an unusual situation.

> I was going to reply, but I'm afraid I'll be wholly misconstrued
> again.
>
> Cheers, Phred.

Wise man, Phred.
LOL

Terry Pulliam Burd 30-10-2005 03:41 AM

How stupid I was to be chatting to a guest while cooking and carelessly deposit a heaped teaspoon of salt into the sauce instead of the 10 litres of simmering water, awaiting its pasta.

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 10:16:46 GMT, Ward Abbott >
wrote:

>On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 22:14:18 -0700, sf >
>wrote:
>
>>That's just plain mean. She asked an honest question and prefaced it
>>with the reason why she needs to ask it.

>SHE OPENED the door and asked the question. Moral of the
>story....never ask a question that you don't want to hear the answer
>to. Yes...the truth can be painful at times.

You were replying to her posting style, not the query. This is, after
all, a cooking newsgroup, and questions about cooking are part of this
community's posts. You replied, quite unpleasantly:

> Were you expecting a random Usenet reader to interpret your ineptness?

Yes, up to a point, she *was* "expecting a random Usenet reader" to
reply to her question about accidental over-salting, which I believe
we all have done at one time or another, and has nothing to do with
"ineptness" and everything to do with inattention or carelessness.

>Take an honest look at the subject line....just endless blather when a
>four word subject line would be more appropriate.

You are complaining about a *header*??? So what? You really need to
up your meds if this is the sort of thing that aggravates you, aulde
son.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

[email protected] 31-10-2005 10:31 PM

How stupid I was to be chatting to a guest while cooking and carelessly deposit a heaped teaspoon of salt into the sauce instead of the 10 litres of simmering water, awaiting its pasta.

: How stupid I was to be chatting to a guest while cooking and
: carelessly deposit a heaped teaspoon of salt into the sauce instead of
: the 10 litres of simmering water, awaiting its pasta.

: Does the potato trick work effectively? Sure, I used it and created a
: few very salty potatoes, but are there any better remedies for acute
: over salting?

A teaspoon of salt doesn't really sound like that much - how much sauce
did you dump it into? You didn't say. A heaped tablespoon is another
matter altogether. Just eat it, it won't be that bad. Or are you just
trolling...

sf 01-11-2005 06:29 AM

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 21:31:16 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

> : How stupid I was to be chatting to a guest while cooking and
> : carelessly deposit a heaped teaspoon of salt into the sauce instead of
> : the 10 litres of simmering water, awaiting its pasta.
>
> : Does the potato trick work effectively? Sure, I used it and created a
> : few very salty potatoes, but are there any better remedies for acute
> : over salting?
>

> A teaspoon of salt doesn't really sound like that much - how much sauce
> did you dump it into? You didn't say. A heaped tablespoon is another
> matter altogether. Just eat it, it won't be that bad. Or are you just
> trolling...

sorta-regular poster, not known as a troller