FoodBanter.com

-   -   fresh tuna (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/72768-fresh-tuna.html)

Peter Huebner 27-10-2005 02:07 AM

fresh tuna

Oh, but we got lucky yesterday. Went into town and found the fish shop
had some fresh tuna. (***Fresh***) Pricey, but what the hell. I got
about 350g between Suze and myself ... got home, cut tuna into maybe
3/4" slices, sprinkled with blk.pepper, salt, lemon juice and into the
smoking olive oil they went. Seared to a medium brown both sides I
reduced the heat and did them for another 4 minutes or so ... side dish
of mashed potatoes (I worked the oil-and-tuna-fat from the pan into the
mash with a pinch of nutmeg & salt) and that was it. Tried topping the
steaks on the plate with a bit of avocado and lemon, just lemon, or
nothing ... found the avocado a little too distracting, the other two
were equally good.

Mmmmmh - Hmmmmm. A rare treat :-)

-P.

LittleGreyPoodle 27-10-2005 04:07 AM

fresh tuna

Peter Huebner wrote:
> Oh, but we got lucky yesterday. Went into town and found the fish shop
> had some fresh tuna. (***Fresh***) Pricey, but what the hell. I got
> about 350g between Suze and myself ... got home, cut tuna into maybe
> 3/4" slices, sprinkled with blk.pepper, salt, lemon juice and into the
> smoking olive oil they went. Seared to a medium brown both sides I
> reduced the heat and did them for another 4 minutes or so ... side dish
> of mashed potatoes (I worked the oil-and-tuna-fat from the pan into the
> mash with a pinch of nutmeg & salt) and that was it. Tried topping the
> steaks on the plate with a bit of avocado and lemon, just lemon, or
> nothing ... found the avocado a little too distracting, the other two
> were equally good.
>
> Mmmmmh - Hmmmmm. A rare treat :-)
>
> -P.

Where in the world do you live that you can enjoy FRESH tuna? I envy you!

Most all the "fresh" tuna I see in the markets is actually flash frozen
on the ship right after being caught. Some sort of wierd food law or
something. Supposed to be better than fresh because the freezing kills
the micro-organisms that otherwise are supposed to infest all fresh fish.

And lately, I've been having a hard time finding good tuna at any cost.
I live in the Phoenix, Arizona (US) area.

Sheldon 27-10-2005 04:12 AM

fresh tuna

LittleGreyPoodle wrote:
> Peter Huebner wrote:
> > Oh, but we got lucky yesterday. Went into town and found the fish shop
> > had some fresh tuna.

> Where in the world do you live that you can enjoy FRESH tuna? I envy you!
>
> And lately, I've been having a hard time finding good tuna at any cost.
> I live in the Phoenix, Arizona (US) area.

You mean there's no tuna pond in Arizona? <g>

Sheldon

Peter Huebner 27-10-2005 06:56 AM

fresh tuna

In article <LvX7f.100382$lq6.76104@fed1read01>,
says...

> Where in the world do you live that you can enjoy FRESH tuna? I envy you!

In the North of New Zealand. There is [a lot] of tuna around here, but
it's *quite* rare to see it freshly landed in the shops all the same.
I believe they have strict quotas and seasons on them. Also they seem to
export most of what they do catch.
Ya gotta get lucky and be at the right spot at the right time.

-P.

pablo 27-10-2005 01:30 PM

fresh tuna

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> LittleGreyPoodle wrote:
>> Peter Huebner wrote:
>> > Oh, but we got lucky yesterday. Went into town and found the fish shop
>> > had some fresh tuna.

>> Where in the world do you live that you can enjoy FRESH tuna? I envy you!
>>
>> And lately, I've been having a hard time finding good tuna at any cost.
>> I live in the Phoenix, Arizona (US) area.

> You mean there's no tuna pond in Arizona? <g>

Well, almost. The west cost of Mexico is prime fishing for yellow fin tuna
used for sushi in Japan. It's specially prepared and frozen on the boat and
shipped directly to the seafood markets in Japan (like Tsukiji in Tokyo)
where people can pretend it was just caught off the that coast.

Pablo

Default User 27-10-2005 05:07 PM

fresh tuna

Peter Huebner wrote:

> Oh, but we got lucky yesterday. Went into town and found the fish
> shop had some fresh tuna. (***Fresh***) Pricey, but what the hell. I
> got about 350g between Suze and myself

Most people would just carry it in a bag, but whatever floats your boat.

Brian

won't shut up.

Sheldon 27-10-2005 05:50 PM

fresh tuna

pablo wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > LittleGreyPoodle wrote:
> >>
> >> Where in the world do you live that you can enjoy FRESH tuna? I envy you!
> >>
> >> And lately, I've been having a hard time finding good tuna at any cost.
> >> I live in the Phoenix, Arizona (US) area.

> > You mean there's no tuna pond in Arizona? <g>
> >

> Well, almost. The west cost of Mexico is prime fishing for yellow fin tuna
> used for sushi in Japan. It's specially prepared and frozen on the boat and
> shipped directly to the seafood markets in Japan (like Tsukiji in Tokyo)
> where people can pretend it was just caught off the that coast.

Gimme a break... frozen ain't fresh, no matter how much you pretend...
I seriously doubt they're passing off frozen for sushi in Japan... if
so then this whole sushi mystique is BS. On Lung Guyland fresh tuna is
sold in every fish store and in nearly every stupidmarket... so is all
other fish sold fresh caught, never frozen, in fact it's not easy to
find frozen fish on Lung Guyland, unless you're talking Mrs. Pauls.
But here in NY's Capitol district, just 150 miles inland, there's
practically no fresh fish... I don't consider a slice of fish in a
styrofoam tray wraped with plastic fresh, I don't care what they say.
The fresh fish sold on Lung Guyland was either bought directly from the
fishing boats (sometimes still gasping), or from the fish monger where
it's sold whole, or sliced from a whole fish, all caught within hours.
A piece of fish sold in plastic wrap ain't any kind of fresh... on Lung
Guyland we call that bait.

Sheldon

Dimitri 27-10-2005 05:55 PM

fresh tuna

"Peter Huebner" > wrote in message
t...

> Oh, but we got lucky yesterday. Went into town and found the fish shop
> had some fresh tuna. (***Fresh***) Pricey, but what the hell. I got
> about 350g between Suze and myself ... got home, cut tuna into maybe
> 3/4" slices, sprinkled with blk.pepper, salt, lemon juice and into the
> smoking olive oil they went. Seared to a medium brown both sides I
> reduced the heat and did them for another 4 minutes or so ... side dish
> of mashed potatoes (I worked the oil-and-tuna-fat from the pan into the
> mash with a pinch of nutmeg & salt) and that was it. Tried topping the
> steaks on the plate with a bit of avocado and lemon, just lemon, or
> nothing ... found the avocado a little too distracting, the other two
> were equally good.
>
> Mmmmmh - Hmmmmm. A rare treat :-)
>
> -P.

Several years ago (longer than I care to admit), after a meeting in central
Tokyo we went to the restaurant at the top of one of the Shinjuku skyscrapers.
They took a large rectangle of tuna dropped of the 6 sides onto what looked like
a cast iron very very hot flat pan and charred each side. The center was cold
and the tuna was cooked only a few millimeters in. The tuna was sliced into 1/4
inch slices and served with some various sauces. At first I was a little
reluctant - from the first taste on I was a believer. We're talking major yum.

Dimitri

Rodney Myrvaagnes 27-10-2005 08:39 PM

fresh tuna

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 16:55:43 GMT, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

>"Peter Huebner" > wrote in message
et...

>> Oh, but we got lucky yesterday. Went into town and found the fish shop
>> had some fresh tuna. (***Fresh***) Pricey, but what the hell. I got
>> about 350g between Suze and myself ... got home, cut tuna into maybe
>> 3/4" slices, sprinkled with blk.pepper, salt, lemon juice and into the
>> smoking olive oil they went. Seared to a medium brown both sides I
>> reduced the heat and did them for another 4 minutes or so ... side dish
>> of mashed potatoes (I worked the oil-and-tuna-fat from the pan into the
>> mash with a pinch of nutmeg & salt) and that was it. Tried topping the
>> steaks on the plate with a bit of avocado and lemon, just lemon, or
>> nothing ... found the avocado a little too distracting, the other two
>> were equally good.
>>
>> Mmmmmh - Hmmmmm. A rare treat :-)
>>
>> -P.

>Several years ago (longer than I care to admit), after a meeting in central
>Tokyo we went to the restaurant at the top of one of the Shinjuku skyscrapers.
>They took a large rectangle of tuna dropped of the 6 sides onto what looked like
>a cast iron very very hot flat pan and charred each side. The center was cold
>and the tuna was cooked only a few millimeters in. The tuna was sliced into 1/4
>inch slices and served with some various sauces. At first I was a little
>reluctant - from the first taste on I was a believer. We're talking major yum.

It is what we do at home, and has been conventional in restaurants in
Northern Cal and the Northeastern US for 10-15 years now. It calms any
fears about the surface handling before you got the piece of fish.

After all, you can't take a whole tuna home and put only your own
knives into its pristine flesh. Searing the surface helps [me]
psychologically but the raw meat is the best.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J 36 Gjo/a

Kansas--working to become a science-free zone

Dan Abel 27-10-2005 09:03 PM

fresh tuna

In article >,
"Dimitri" > wrote:

> Several years ago (longer than I care to admit), after a meeting in central
> Tokyo we went to the restaurant at the top of one of the Shinjuku
> skyscrapers.
> They took a large rectangle of tuna dropped of the 6 sides onto what looked
> like
> a cast iron very very hot flat pan and charred each side. The center was
> cold
> and the tuna was cooked only a few millimeters in. The tuna was sliced into
> 1/4
> inch slices and served with some various sauces. At first I was a little
> reluctant - from the first taste on I was a believer. We're talking major
> yum.

I understand that some of these fish sell for US$50,000!

ObFish: We went to the Monterrey Aquarium some years back, after they
built their new tank. The Big One. Whole schools of tuna swimming in
there. They had ocean sunfish, which were unbelievable. They were a
disc, thin and perfectly round. Up to 3000 pounds and 11 feet in
diameter!

http://www.mbayaq.org/efc/outerbay.asp

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA

Dimitri 27-10-2005 09:54 PM

fresh tuna

"Dan Abel" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Dimitri" > wrote:
>

>> Several years ago (longer than I care to admit), after a meeting in central
>> Tokyo we went to the restaurant at the top of one of the Shinjuku
>> skyscrapers.
>> They took a large rectangle of tuna dropped of the 6 sides onto what looked
>> like
>> a cast iron very very hot flat pan and charred each side. The center was
>> cold
>> and the tuna was cooked only a few millimeters in. The tuna was sliced into
>> 1/4
>> inch slices and served with some various sauces. At first I was a little
>> reluctant - from the first taste on I was a believer. We're talking major
>> yum.

> I understand that some of these fish sell for US$50,000!

Yep, you can find the average price for Fresh and frozen fish paid in August.
Remember the prices are Yen per Kilo.

http://swr.ucsd.edu/fmd/sunee/salesvol/svwaug05.htm

Dimitri

LittleGreyPoodle 28-10-2005 02:43 AM

fresh tuna

Sheldon wrote:
> LittleGreyPoodle wrote:
>
>>Peter Huebner wrote:
>>
>>>Oh, but we got lucky yesterday. Went into town and found the fish shop
>>>had some fresh tuna.

>>Where in the world do you live that you can enjoy FRESH tuna? I envy you!
>>
>>And lately, I've been having a hard time finding good tuna at any cost.
>>I live in the Phoenix, Arizona (US) area.

> You mean there's no tuna pond in Arizona? <g>
>

> Sheldon

No. But surprisingly, there is a shrimp farm out in the middle of the
desert near Gila Bend. Because it's totally artificial and can be kept
super-clean, it supposedly grows really sweet shrimp (or so they
advertise). I haven't had a chance to try them; they closed the outlet
store here in Phoenix, and I haven't been up for the drive to the farm
itself.

pablo 28-10-2005 04:17 AM

fresh tuna

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

..

> Gimme a break... frozen ain't fresh, no matter how much you pretend...
> I seriously doubt they're passing off frozen for sushi in Japan... if
> so then this whole sushi mystique is BS.

*
Maybe so...
http://www.eurofish.dk/indexSub.php?...id=-2104039552

>On Lung Guyland fresh tuna is
> sold in every fish store and in nearly every stupidmarket... so is all
> other fish sold fresh caught, never frozen, in fact it's not easy to
> find frozen fish on Lung Guyland, unless you're talking Mrs. Pauls.
> But here in NY's Capitol district, just 150 miles inland, there's
> practically no fresh fish...

*
I live in a flyover state, and I never try to cook real seafood and seldom
order it in restaurants. If I ever travel to a coastal region, though, I
like to try the regional specialties. (The regional specialties where I
live are beef and pork.) I've only been to Lawn Guy Land once (Syosset) but
didn't have the opportunity to try seafood during my trip.

Pablo