Posted to rec.food.cooking
Goomba38

Default My dirty little secret

Ok.. perhaps just one of them
This "dog licking the pan" thread prompts me to admit my dirty little
secret. My poor dog only gets to lick the pan _after_ I first get to
pick at it. I LOVE the little burned bits and caramalized juices on a
baking dish/roasting pan. Sometimes I like the dark, gooey bits better
than the food itself, lol. I like to take a spatula and dig at the pan
first...then the dog can have at it. LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
Goomba38 > wrote:

> Ok.. perhaps just one of them
> This "dog licking the pan" thread prompts me to admit my dirty little
> secret. My poor dog only gets to lick the pan _after_ I first get to
> pick at it. I LOVE the little burned bits and caramalized juices on a
> baking dish/roasting pan. Sometimes I like the dark, gooey bits better
> than the food itself, lol. I like to take a spatula and dig at the pan
> first...then the dog can have at it. LOL

That is why pan drippings make the best gravy....... ;-)

The carmelized bits.

Cheers!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Goomba38

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> In article >,
> Goomba38 > wrote:
>

>>Ok.. perhaps just one of them
>>This "dog licking the pan" thread prompts me to admit my dirty little
>>secret. My poor dog only gets to lick the pan _after_ I first get to
>>pick at it. I LOVE the little burned bits and caramalized juices on a
>>baking dish/roasting pan. Sometimes I like the dark, gooey bits better
>>than the food itself, lol. I like to take a spatula and dig at the pan
>>first...then the dog can have at it. LOL

> That is why pan drippings make the best gravy....... ;-)
>
> The carmelized bits.
>
> Cheers!

Sure, I know that. Doesn't everyone? LOL
But that said, I don't always make gravy with meatloaf or other things I
roast or bake.
Does anyone else like to pick at them and eat them??
Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
Goomba38 > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Goomba38 > wrote:
> >

> >>Ok.. perhaps just one of them
> >>This "dog licking the pan" thread prompts me to admit my dirty little
> >>secret. My poor dog only gets to lick the pan _after_ I first get to
> >>pick at it. I LOVE the little burned bits and caramalized juices on a
> >>baking dish/roasting pan. Sometimes I like the dark, gooey bits better
> >>than the food itself, lol. I like to take a spatula and dig at the pan
> >>first...then the dog can have at it. LOL

> > That is why pan drippings make the best gravy....... ;-)
> >
> > The carmelized bits.
> >
> > Cheers!

> Sure, I know that. Doesn't everyone? LOL
> But that said, I don't always make gravy with meatloaf or other things I
> roast or bake.
> Does anyone else like to pick at them and eat them??

I do after fried chicken...
and roast beef. ;-d
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

Goomba38 wrote:
> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Goomba38 > wrote:
> >

> >>Ok.. perhaps just one of them
> >>This "dog licking the pan" thread prompts me to admit my dirty little
> >>secret. My poor dog only gets to lick the pan _after_ I first get to
> >>pick at it. I LOVE the little burned bits and caramalized juices on a
> >>baking dish/roasting pan. Sometimes I like the dark, gooey bits better
> >>than the food itself, lol. I like to take a spatula and dig at the pan
> >>first...then the dog can have at it. LOL

> > That is why pan drippings make the best gravy....... ;-)
> >
> > The carmelized bits.
> >
> > Cheers!

> Sure, I know that. Doesn't everyone? LOL
> But that said, I don't always make gravy with meatloaf or other things I
> roast or bake.
> Does anyone else like to pick at them and eat them??

No. Put the pan on the burner, splash in some wine, or Madeira, or
vermouth, or gin, or chicken stock, or whatever liquid is handy, bring
to boil. Scrape with the wooden spoon or spatula. Add an herb if
appropriate, salt, pepper, and pour it over the meat. Total elapsed
time 2 to 3 minutes. The pan sauce is SO much better than the bits
themselves. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article .com>,
"aem" > wrote:

> Goomba38 wrote:
> > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> > > That is why pan drippings make the best gravy....... ;-)
> > >
> > > The carmelized bits.
> > >
> > > Cheers!

> > Sure, I know that. Doesn't everyone? LOL
> > But that said, I don't always make gravy with meatloaf or other things I
> > roast or bake.
> > Does anyone else like to pick at them and eat them??

> No. Put the pan on the burner, splash in some wine, or Madeira, or
> vermouth, or gin, or chicken stock, or whatever liquid is handy, bring
> to boil. Scrape with the wooden spoon or spatula. Add an herb if
> appropriate, salt, pepper, and pour it over the meat. Total elapsed
> time 2 to 3 minutes. The pan sauce is SO much better than the bits
> themselves. -aem

Now that's a thought...
Never tried Madeira.
Will Merlot do?
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dimitri

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
> Ok.. perhaps just one of them
> This "dog licking the pan" thread prompts me to admit my dirty little secret.
> My poor dog only gets to lick the pan _after_ I first get to pick at it. I
> LOVE the little burned bits and caramalized juices on a baking dish/roasting
> pan.

You may not be the only one...

Beef, Pork or Chicken roasting pan which is best?

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"Goomba38" > wrote

> Sure, I know that. Doesn't everyone? LOL
> But that said, I don't always make gravy with meatloaf or other things I
> roast or bake.
> Does anyone else like to pick at them and eat them??

Without a doubt! Same goes for mac n cheese. Not the same
thing, I know. But, yeah, don't go soaking that roasting pan until
I'm done with it. Or risk the wrath of nan.

nancy (just kidding)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 26 Oct 2005 01:20:35p, Goomba38 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Ok.. perhaps just one of them
> This "dog licking the pan" thread prompts me to admit my dirty little
> secret. My poor dog only gets to lick the pan _after_ I first get to
> pick at it. I LOVE the little burned bits and caramalized juices on a
> baking dish/roasting pan. Sometimes I like the dark, gooey bits better
> than the food itself, lol. I like to take a spatula and dig at the pan
> first...then the dog can have at it. LOL

You are a mean and selfish woman! (And I am just as bad!) :-))

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> It will "do", but Madeira would be better. Madeira is a fortified wine
> with different characteristics. My two favorite types are Sercial madeira
> (dry), and Malmsey Madeira (sweeter). Madeira is a heavier wine than most
> others, but it lends itself extremely well to cooking.

Yup, also inexpensive and long-lasting. I keep Madeira, Marsala, dry
sherry, and vermouth within arm's reach of the stove. Other wines or
liquors get into a pan sauce when they spill out of the glass I'm
holding. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 26 Oct 2005 01:47:03p, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> In article .com>,
> "aem" > wrote:
>
>> Goomba38 wrote:

>> > Sure, I know that. Doesn't everyone? LOL
>> > But that said, I don't always make gravy with meatloaf or other
>> > things I roast or bake.
>> > Does anyone else like to pick at them and eat them??

>> No. Put the pan on the burner, splash in some wine, or Madeira, or
>> vermouth, or gin, or chicken stock, or whatever liquid is handy, bring
>> to boil. Scrape with the wooden spoon or spatula. Add an herb if
>> appropriate, salt, pepper, and pour it over the meat. Total elapsed
>> time 2 to 3 minutes. The pan sauce is SO much better than the bits
>> themselves. -aem
>>

> Now that's a thought...
> Never tried Madeira.
> Will Merlot do?

It will "do", but Madeira would be better. Madeira is a fortified wine
with different characteristics. My two favorite types are Sercial madeira
(dry), and Malmsey Madeira (sweeter). Madeira is a heavier wine than most
others, but it lends itself extremely well to cooking.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Goomba38

Dimitri wrote:

> You may not be the only one...
>
> Beef, Pork or Chicken roasting pan which is best?
>
> Dimitri

You forgot Lamb!! Lamb pans can be quite a treat too!
I do love chicken and beef best though, I think?
Goomba
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Goomba38

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Goomba38" > wrote
>

>>Sure, I know that. Doesn't everyone? LOL
>>But that said, I don't always make gravy with meatloaf or other things I
>>roast or bake.
>>Does anyone else like to pick at them and eat them??

> Without a doubt! Same goes for mac n cheese. Not the same
> thing, I know. But, yeah, don't go soaking that roasting pan until
> I'm done with it. Or risk the wrath of nan.
>
> nancy (just kidding)

Ohhhhhh yeah! The baked on, crusty brown edges of a good casserole dish
are wonderful too. What is it? I can't explain it, but those are all
such a treat to me.
Goomba
Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"Dimitri" > wrote:

> "Goomba38" > wrote in message
> > Ok.. perhaps just one of them
> > This "dog licking the pan" thread prompts me to admit my dirty little
> > secret.
> > My poor dog only gets to lick the pan _after_ I first get to pick at it. I
> > LOVE the little burned bits and caramalized juices on a baking
> > dish/roasting
> > pan.

> You may not be the only one...
>
> Beef, Pork or Chicken roasting pan which is best?
>
> Dimitri

Chicken. :-d
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Wed 26 Oct 2005 01:47:03p, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > In article .com>,

> >> No. Put the pan on the burner, splash in some wine, or Madeira, or
> >> vermouth, or gin, or chicken stock, or whatever liquid is handy, bring
> >> to boil. Scrape with the wooden spoon or spatula. Add an herb if
> >> appropriate, salt, pepper, and pour it over the meat. Total elapsed
> >> time 2 to 3 minutes. The pan sauce is SO much better than the bits
> >> themselves. -aem
> >>

> > Now that's a thought...
> > Never tried Madeira.
> > Will Merlot do?

> It will "do", but Madeira would be better. Madeira is a fortified wine
> with different characteristics. My two favorite types are Sercial madeira
> (dry), and Malmsey Madeira (sweeter). Madeira is a heavier wine than most
> others, but it lends itself extremely well to cooking.

I'm really going to have to check this out now, thanks! :-)

IME wine tends to make sauces sour so I've avoided it, but now my
epicurious curiosity is piqued!

Cheers!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
Goomba38 > wrote:

> Dimitri wrote:
>
> > You may not be the only one...
> >
> > Beef, Pork or Chicken roasting pan which is best?
> >
> > Dimitri
> >

> You forgot Lamb!! Lamb pans can be quite a treat too!
> I do love chicken and beef best though, I think?
> Goomba

Oh lordy...
Lamb fat at room temp. is the only stuff I've ever had to take a chisel
to! Lamb fat is hard enough to be wax. :-P

The last couple of times we pre-roasted lamb breast to make shepards
stew, we re-heated the fat and added it to wild bird seed to make suet
cakes for the woodpeckers.

Damn that stuff turns hard!

Cheers!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 26 Oct 2005 04:59:30p, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> In article >,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> On Wed 26 Oct 2005 01:47:03p, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote in

rec.food.cooking:

like

at

bring

>> > Now that's a thought...
>> > Never tried Madeira.
>> > Will Merlot do?

>> It will "do", but Madeira would be better. Madeira is a fortified wine
>> with different characteristics. My two favorite types are Sercial

madeira
>> (dry), and Malmsey Madeira (sweeter). Madeira is a heavier wine than

most
>> others, but it lends itself extremely well to cooking.

> I'm really going to have to check this out now, thanks! :-)
>
> IME wine tends to make sauces sour so I've avoided it, but now my
> epicurious curiosity is piqued!
>
> Cheers!

I think you might be pleasantly surprised with a Madeira. Use the Malmsey
if you're really worried about it.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Peter Huebner

In article >, Goomba38
@comcast.net says...

> Sure, I know that. Doesn't everyone? LOL
> But that said, I don't always make gravy with meatloaf or other things I
> roast or bake.

This is my favourite receipe for meatloaf sauce: first I chuck some bay
leaves into the pan (remove meatloaf first) and some capers and a bit of
allspice, after a minute or two I deglaze with boiling water, add a
pinch of salt ... then whisk in a previously prepared mix of {around
200g (5 to 7 ounces?) sour cream, a couple of tablespoons of flour and a
cup of cold water}. Stirring with the whisk, bring to boil and add more
water until the consistency of the sauce is to your liking.

Incidentally, I use the exact same sauce minus the capers for roast kid
goat.

-Peter

Dirty pasta, dirty rice Christopher M.[_3_] General Cooking 4 21-04-2012 01:47 PM
Down & dirty Dimitri General Cooking 19 24-07-2010 01:34 AM
Dirty ovens, dirty skillets Gregory Morrow[_406_] General Cooking 0 29-01-2010 10:10 AM
Secret Formula Lengend--- several most money-attractive secret recieps rainandwind Wine 3 13-11-2008 04:16 AM