Default BOX CAKES

An insert in my Sunday paper caught my eye;
"How to make elaborate cakes, using box-cake mix"

The pictures had me drooling,
but the price, ( 4 easy payments of $7.99 ) was a turn-off.

I recently tried one such recipe;
Yellow box cake, 4 eggs, oil, pudding,
and a few cups of diced apples.
While the toothpick said "done"
the bottom was still gooey, and half-baked.

If you're a box-cake user,
is there anything you add to make it "special" ?

( I'm NOT gonna buy the $32 book )

<rj>
Dimitri

"<RJ>" > wrote in message
> An insert in my Sunday paper caught my eye;
> "How to make elaborate cakes, using box-cake mix"
>
> The pictures had me drooling,
> but the price, ( 4 easy payments of $7.99 ) was a turn-off.
>
> I recently tried one such recipe;
> Yellow box cake, 4 eggs, oil, pudding,
> and a few cups of diced apples.
> While the toothpick said "done"
> the bottom was still gooey, and half-baked.
>
> If you're a box-cake user,
> is there anything you add to make it "special" ?
>
> ( I'm NOT gonna buy the $32 book )
>

> <rj>

Have you looked at the Betty Crocker site?

Dimitri

Margaret Suran

Dimitri wrote:
> "<RJ>" > wrote in message
>
>>An insert in my Sunday paper caught my eye;
>>"How to make elaborate cakes, using box-cake mix"
>>
>>The pictures had me drooling,
>>but the price, ( 4 easy payments of $7.99 ) was a turn-off.
>>
>>I recently tried one such recipe;
>>Yellow box cake, 4 eggs, oil, pudding,
>>and a few cups of diced apples.
>>While the toothpick said "done"
>>the bottom was still gooey, and half-baked.
>>
>>If you're a box-cake user,
>>is there anything you add to make it "special" ?
>>
>>( I'm NOT gonna buy the $32 book )
>>

>><rj>

> Have you looked at the Betty Crocker site?
>
> Dimitri

See if this can help you. It is the site for Cake Mix Doctor.

http://www.cakemixdoctor.com/
cathy

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 14:36:33 -0700, "<RJ>" >
wrote:

>An insert in my Sunday paper caught my eye;
>"How to make elaborate cakes, using box-cake mix"
>
>The pictures had me drooling,
>but the price, ( 4 easy payments of $7.99 ) was a turn-off.
>
>I recently tried one such recipe;
>Yellow box cake, 4 eggs, oil, pudding,
>and a few cups of diced apples.
>While the toothpick said "done"
>the bottom was still gooey, and half-baked.
>
>If you're a box-cake user,
>is there anything you add to make it "special" ?
>
>( I'm NOT gonna buy the $32 book )
>

><rj>

My standard favorite, which can be found in many places on the
Internet is this:

Dark Chocolate Bundt Cake

1 package dark chocolate cake mix
1 small package INSTANT chocolate pudding
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup warm water
4 eggs
1 12 ounce package chocolate chips

Combine cake mix, pudding mix, sour cream, oil, water and eggs. Blend
until just smooth. DO NOT OVERMIX. Stir in chocolate chips until just
blended. Be careful not to overmix. Turn into greased bundt pan. Bake
350 degree oven 1 hour. Let cool before turning out of pan.

Cathy

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 22:41:25 GMT, cathy > wrote:

>My standard favorite, which can be found in many places on the
>Internet is this:
>
>Dark Chocolate Bundt Cake
>
>1 package dark chocolate cake mix
>1 small package INSTANT chocolate pudding
>1 cup sour cream
>1/2 cup oil
>1/2 cup warm water
>4 eggs
>1 12 ounce package chocolate chips
>
>Combine cake mix, pudding mix, sour cream, oil, water and eggs. Blend
>until just smooth. DO NOT OVERMIX. Stir in chocolate chips until just
>blended. Be careful not to overmix. Turn into greased bundt pan. Bake
>350 degree oven 1 hour. Let cool before turning out of pan.
>
>Cathy

Sounds decadent !! ( I like that ! ) ;o)

<rj>

Puester

<RJ> wrote:
> An insert in my Sunday paper caught my eye;
> "How to make elaborate cakes, using box-cake mix"
>
> The pictures had me drooling,
> but the price, ( 4 easy payments of $7.99 ) was a turn-off.
>
> If you're a box-cake user,
> is there anything you add to make it "special" ?
>
> ( I'm NOT gonna buy the $32 book )
>

> <rj>

I don't bake often, for health and weight reasons, but
I always make chocolate cakes with cold brewed coffee
instead of water. Yellow cake is improved by the
addition of finely grated orange or lemon rind.

Try the library for a cookbook titled "The Cake Mix Doctor".
The author has a huge number of suggestions.

gloria p
itsjoannotjoann

cathy wrote:
> My standard favorite, which can be found in many places on the
> Internet is this:
>
> Dark Chocolate Bundt Cake
>
> 1 package dark chocolate cake mix
> 1 small package INSTANT chocolate pudding
> 1 cup sour cream
> 1/2 cup oil
> 1/2 cup warm water
> 4 eggs
> 1 12 ounce package chocolate chips
>
> Combine cake mix, pudding mix, sour cream, oil, water and eggs. Blend
> until just smooth. DO NOT OVERMIX. Stir in chocolate chips until just
> blended. Be careful not to overmix. Turn into greased bundt pan. Bake
> 350 degree oven 1 hour. Let cool before turning out of pan.
>
> Cathy

I've made this several times but I make it as a sheet cake as frosting
cakes seems to be something I can't master. If you REALLY want a
chocolate overdose, frost it with one of the tub flavors of dark
chocolate fudge. Yummmmmmm

TammyM

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 23:20:26 GMT, Puester >
wrote:

><RJ> wrote:
>> An insert in my Sunday paper caught my eye;
>> "How to make elaborate cakes, using box-cake mix"
>>
>> The pictures had me drooling,
>> but the price, ( 4 easy payments of $7.99 ) was a turn-off.
>>
>> If you're a box-cake user,
>> is there anything you add to make it "special" ?
>>
>> ( I'm NOT gonna buy the $32 book )
>>

>> <rj>

>I don't bake often, for health and weight reasons, but
>I always make chocolate cakes with cold brewed coffee
>instead of water. Yellow cake is improved by the
>addition of finely grated orange or lemon rind.
>
>Try the library for a cookbook titled "The Cake Mix Doctor".
>The author has a huge number of suggestions.

After seeing some of the recipes in The Cake Mix Doctor, though, I'd
consider paying the tariff to own it. There are some very nice
recipes on there.

Free recipes on this site.

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/cakemi...kemixcake.html

TammyM
David Rhodes

"<RJ>" > wrote in message
> An insert in my Sunday paper caught my eye;
> "How to make elaborate cakes, using box-cake mix"
>
> The pictures had me drooling,
> but the price, ( 4 easy payments of $7.99 ) was a turn-off.
>
> I recently tried one such recipe;
> Yellow box cake, 4 eggs, oil, pudding,
> and a few cups of diced apples.
> While the toothpick said "done"
> the bottom was still gooey, and half-baked.
>
> If you're a box-cake user,
> is there anything you add to make it "special" ?
>
> ( I'm NOT gonna buy the $32 book )
>

> <rj>

I have not tried this receipe but I did watch Paula Deen of the Food Network
prepare it on Saturday and it looked wonderful and is very easy to prepare.

Is It Really Better Than Sex? Cake

1 (18.25-ounce) box yellow cake mix, plus ingredients to prepare
1 (20-ounce) can crushed pineapple
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 (3.4-ounce) box French vanilla pudding, plus ingredients to prepare
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 cup flaked, sweetened toasted coconut

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Prepare yellow cake mix as directed using a greased 13 by 9 by 2-inch pan
and bake for 30 to 35 minutes. While cake is baking, combine the pineapple
and 1 cup of sugar in a saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium heat
stirring constantly. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.

Remove cake from oven and using a fork, pierce holes into cake. Pour
pineapple mixture over hot cake and set aside.

Prepare pudding according to package directions. Spread pudding over cake
and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled. Whip heavy cream and remaining
sugar until stiff. Cover top of cake with whipped cream and sprinkle toasted
coconut on top.

Nancy Young

"cathy" > wrote

> Dark Chocolate Bundt Cake
>
> 1 package dark chocolate cake mix
> 1 small package INSTANT chocolate pudding
> 1 cup sour cream
> 1/2 cup oil
> 1/2 cup warm water
> 4 eggs
> 1 12 ounce package chocolate chips
>
> Combine cake mix, pudding mix, sour cream, oil, water and eggs. Blend
> until just smooth. DO NOT OVERMIX. Stir in chocolate chips until just
> blended. Be careful not to overmix. Turn into greased bundt pan. Bake
> 350 degree oven 1 hour. Let cool before turning out of pan.

That does sound good. There's also the Bacardi famous rum cake, and
the chocolate cake made with Hellmann's.

nancy

Marcella Peek

In article >,
cathy > wrote:

> My standard favorite, which can be found in many places on the
> Internet is this:
>
> Dark Chocolate Bundt Cake
>
> 1 package dark chocolate cake mix
> 1 small package INSTANT chocolate pudding
> 1 cup sour cream
> 1/2 cup oil
> 1/2 cup warm water
> 4 eggs
> 1 12 ounce package chocolate chips
>
> Combine cake mix, pudding mix, sour cream, oil, water and eggs. Blend
> until just smooth. DO NOT OVERMIX. Stir in chocolate chips until just
> blended. Be careful not to overmix. Turn into greased bundt pan. Bake
> 350 degree oven 1 hour. Let cool before turning out of pan.
>
> Cathy

Try it with kalua instead of the water. mmmmmm

marcella

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 00:46:37 GMT, "David Rhodes" >
wrote:

>I have not tried this receipe but I did watch Paula Deen of the Food Network
>prepare it on Saturday and it looked wonderful and is very easy to prepare.
>
>Is It Really Better Than Sex? Cake
>
>1 (18.25-ounce) box yellow cake mix, plus ingredients to prepare
>1 (20-ounce) can crushed pineapple
>1 1/3 cups sugar
>1 (3.4-ounce) box French vanilla pudding, plus ingredients to prepare
>1 1/2 cups heavy cream
>1 cup flaked, sweetened toasted coconut
>
>Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
>Prepare yellow cake mix as directed using a greased 13 by 9 by 2-inch pan
>and bake for 30 to 35 minutes. While cake is baking, combine the pineapple
>and 1 cup of sugar in a saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium heat
>stirring constantly. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
>
>Remove cake from oven and using a fork, pierce holes into cake. Pour
>pineapple mixture over hot cake and set aside.
>
>Prepare pudding according to package directions. Spread pudding over cake
>and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled. Whip heavy cream and remaining
>sugar until stiff. Cover top of cake with whipped cream and sprinkle toasted
>coconut on top.

I've made something similar ( Yum-Yum cake )

A yellow sheet-cake
Covered with a ( half-the-milk ) layer of pudding
Covered with a layer of drained crushed pineapple
Covered with about 2" of CoolWhip
( shredded coconut optional )

mmmmm........
The leftover cake ( if any ) keeps calling me from the fridge all night .

<rj>
Roberta

<RJ> wrote:

> If you're a box-cake user,
> is there anything you add to make it "special" ?
>
> ( I'm NOT gonna buy the $32 book )
>

> <rj>

I make a really good coconut cake using a white cake mix

Prepare a 2 layer white cake - do NOT remove from pans. Pour a can of
sweetened condensed milk over them (1/2 a can over each) Cover and
refrigerate over night. Next day do the same thing with a can of Coco
Lopez. On the third day you remove them from the pans (the hardest part
of the recipe) I drain off as much of the liquid as I can and then turn
the pans upside down on plates and just let the cake fall out.

I then frost it with *GASP* cool whip mixed with coconut... It's really
yummy - and not as gooey as it sounds like it will be

Roberta (in VA)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ranee Mueller

In article <FPJ7f.11385$v_5.2594@dukeread07>,
Roberta > wrote:

> I then frost it with *GASP* cool whip mixed with coconut... It's really
> yummy - and not as gooey as it sounds like it will be

The recipe sounds good, but I _really_ don't like Cool Whip, do you
think it would work fine with stabilized whipped cream?

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ranee Mueller

In article >,
"<RJ>" > wrote:

> I've made something similar ( Yum-Yum cake )
>
> A yellow sheet-cake
> Covered with a ( half-the-milk ) layer of pudding
> Covered with a layer of drained crushed pineapple
> Covered with about 2" of CoolWhip
> ( shredded coconut optional )
>
> mmmmm........
> The leftover cake ( if any ) keeps calling me from the fridge all night .

Alright. Here is my secret shame cake.

I make cakes from scratch. I don't buy box mixes unless they are a
quarter each, and I use those for quickie things like snacks for the
youth group, I don't make them to be actual real cake. The chocolate
tastes more like brown to me than chocolate, for instance.

However. I did make a cake a few times early in our marriage that
was quite tasty. I used a box mix either white or yellow, and baked it
in a 9 by 13 pan, spread sour cream over the top and then canned cherry
pie filling. It is amazingly good.

I'm sure it would be better with homemade cake. I may have to try
that this week.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Roberta

Ranee Mueller wrote:
> In article <FPJ7f.11385$v_5.2594@dukeread07>,
> Roberta > wrote:
>

>>I then frost it with *GASP* cool whip mixed with coconut... It's really
>>yummy - and not as gooey as it sounds like it will be

> The recipe sounds good, but I _really_ don't like Cool Whip, do you
> think it would work fine with stabilized whipped cream?
>
> Regards,
> Ranee

I think it would be just fine with any frosting that is light - the main
reason is the cake would just fall apart if you tried to frost it with
regular frosting...it would probably be better to be honest

Roberta (in VA)

> Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.
>
> "She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." Prov 31:13
>
> http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
> http://talesfromthekitchen.blogspot.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Curly Sue

wrote:
>If you're a box-cake user,
>is there anything you add to make it "special" ?

This is a beautiful and delicious cake.

Harvey Wallbanger Cake
http://users.rcn.com/sue.interport/food/hrvywlbg.html
1 pkg Duncan Hines Orange Supreme Cake Mix
1 pkg vanilla instant pudding (3.75 oz)
1/2 c oil
4 oz water
4 eggs
4 oz frozen OJ concentrate, thawed, undiluted
3 oz Galliano
1 oz vodka

Blend all ingredients in large bowl; beat 5 min. Pour into greased and
floured 10" tube pan or a Bundt pan. Bake @ 350 deg for 45-55 min.
Cool in pan about 15 min. Remove and spread with glaze.

Glaze:
1 T frozen OJ concentrate (undiluted), thawed
1 T vodka
1-1/2 T Galliano
1 c confectioner's sugar

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
biig

Curly Sue wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 14:36:33 -0700, "<RJ>" >
> wrote:
> >If you're a box-cake user,
> >is there anything you add to make it "special" ?
> >

> This is a beautiful and delicious cake.
>
> Harvey Wallbanger Cake
> http://users.rcn.com/sue.interport/food/hrvywlbg.html
> ************************************************** ****
> 1 pkg Duncan Hines Orange Supreme Cake Mix
> 1 pkg vanilla instant pudding (3.75 oz)
> 1/2 c oil
> 4 oz water
> 4 eggs
> 4 oz frozen OJ concentrate, thawed, undiluted
> 3 oz Galliano
> 1 oz vodka
>
> Blend all ingredients in large bowl; beat 5 min. Pour into greased and
> floured 10" tube pan or a Bundt pan. Bake @ 350 deg for 45-55 min.
> Cool in pan about 15 min. Remove and spread with glaze.
>
> Glaze:
> 1 T frozen OJ concentrate (undiluted), thawed
> 1 T vodka
> 1-1/2 T Galliano
> 1 c confectioner's sugar
>
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

When my kids were little I made a "cookie" in a jelly roll pan. I
used what was called a "snack cake mix" It had a recipe on the box for
making cookies with it instead of cake. I spread the whole prepared mix
onto the pan and baked it, then cut it when it was cool. It was really
handy since I worked two jobs and had very little time. I may try this
with a regular cookie recipe. .....Sharon

cakes miki General Cooking 0 09-08-2007 02:50 AM
Ace of Cakes Andy General Cooking 4 22-08-2006 05:35 PM
Oat cakes [email protected] General Cooking 0 10-06-2006 07:15 PM
Hoe Cakes [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 20-06-2005 04:37 AM
yum yum cakes Matt Baking 0 13-10-2003 07:07 AM