fourmations

Default japanese / teppanyaki

hi all

I ate in a japanese in lanzarote (been there a few times) and it was
amazing,

I have questions on each element of the meal
and would love some input on all or any

To cook the salmon and beef he used the same technique and sauces
the cook used oil & lots of garlic on the teppan
then a splash of soy looking liquid and then a clear liquid
lots of salt and pepper (ordainary salt and pepper?)

Can i assume the soy lookalike was soy, it was not as sweet as teriyaki
and I am assuming the clear was sake, any thoughts

the beef and fish was very subtle and not overpowered at all

the only thing to note is that he fired the beef and it flashed a high flame
only for a second

there were three dipping sauces, one for veg, one for fish, one for meat
the meat and fish ones were clear and soy based, the veg one was tan colured
and cloudy
if anyone knows what these are, please let me know

the veg had a lettuce looking leaf that tasted very like beansprouts, what
is this?

the salad has an unusual dressing that was very sweet and actually
tasted quite like an bbq sauce i make with vinegar and frenchs mustard and
sugar
Is anyone familiar with this.

for fun, I was thinking about mocking up a teppan plate on my hob as I can
get steel for nothing in my job
i was thinking about a steel plate with folds to sit on top (like an uopside
down tray)
, would I need to ventilate this with holes around the edge?

I would love some feedback on the meat technique especially as it was superb

Thanks a mill

Niall

Frenchy

"fourmations" > wrote in message
: hi all
:
[...]

They have a lot of heat under the teppanyaki grill, so hope you have at least 3
burners? The tray can sit on top of your grill plates and no need to drill holes
in it.

They use Mirin a lot (a Japanese equivalent of cooking sherry but sweater taste)
and this is colourless and gets mixed with shoyu or splashed on its own.

Not sure what country/city you ate this in, so not sure how authentic?

The flash burn, could be from brandy or from the Japanese/Chinese rice spirit
equivalent?

The steak in Japan would be Kobe Beef

The brown/cloudy dipping sauce is toasted sesame seed crushed with soy and mirin.

Frenchy