Default Recipe Software - Must have been asked a million times?

Hi,

I am after some recipe software...but something simple:

1. Need to be able to generate a menu for me. My husband and I spend
too much time trying to remember what we planned when we went shopping.
We are both busy and this always seems such a trivial detail.

2. Need to have a shopping list! And be able to print the menu so what
we buy roughly equates to what we eat!! (sounds so simple doesn't it?)

3. Needs to be CHEAP and easy to use! There is so much that is too
difficult to use and I struggle bringing myself to spending much money
when we already spend so much on our shopping.

I hope this group can help me out here...it's not too much to ask
for...is it?

Thanks,
fi

Andy

wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am after some recipe software...but something simple:
>
> 1. Need to be able to generate a menu for me. My husband and I spend
> too much time trying to remember what we planned when we went shopping.
> We are both busy and this always seems such a trivial detail.
>
> 2. Need to have a shopping list! And be able to print the menu so what
> we buy roughly equates to what we eat!! (sounds so simple doesn't it?)
>
> 3. Needs to be CHEAP and easy to use! There is so much that is too
> difficult to use and I struggle bringing myself to spending much money
> when we already spend so much on our shopping.
>
> I hope this group can help me out here...it's not too much to ask
> for...is it?
>
> Thanks,
> fi

OK, I'll take a crack at this.

Recipe menus, I guess you want a week menu planner, not a restaurant menu
generator. I don't know of any recipe softwares that do restaurant menus.

Most softwares let you generate a shopping list and delete the salt,
pepper and other common pantry stuff that you don't need to buy to make
recipes.

Easy to use is dependent on the user's computer saavy and software
features and the graphical user interface.

First, try www.allrecipes.com (it's free). You can create an online
recipe box, learn how to generate a shopping list and submit recipes and
rate/review others.

It's pretty neat, imho. Of course that's the on-line recipe software
angle.

Some recipe software also let you analyze nutritional info for matters
such as high blood pressure, low carbohydrate, diabetes and other dietary
concerns.

Good luck,

Andy
Ophelia

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I am after some recipe software...but something simple:
>
> 1. Need to be able to generate a menu for me. My husband and I spend
> too much time trying to remember what we planned when we went
> shopping.
> We are both busy and this always seems such a trivial detail.
>
> 2. Need to have a shopping list! And be able to print the menu so
> what
> we buy roughly equates to what we eat!! (sounds so simple doesn't it?)
>
> 3. Needs to be CHEAP and easy to use! There is so much that is too
> difficult to use and I struggle bringing myself to spending much money
> when we already spend so much on our shopping.
>
> I hope this group can help me out here...it's not too much to ask
> for...is it?

Have a look at the recipe section at Flylady.net

Hi,

Thanks...I'm not really after online stuff. Just something simple I
can do at home, even if I am not on the internet. I have tried a few
free bits of software, but they are not very good, or they don't do
what I want.

Thanks Ophelia - I love Flylady.net! I'll definitely be looking here
for ways to do things better (like the pampering routines!) but I
couldn't find anything about recipe software?

fi

I was over at http://lesleycooks.tripod.com/ and they had a link to
http://www.ezyeating.com

This looks like just what I am after. Does anyone know anything about
it?

Thanks,
fi

OK, after reading this
http://www.livejournal.com/community...s/3878789.html and
playing with the demo I'm sold.

$10 bucks on PayPal - just what I am after.

fi

Ophelia

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi,
>
> Thanks...I'm not really after online stuff. Just something simple I
> can do at home, even if I am not on the internet. I have tried a few
> free bits of software, but they are not very good, or they don't do
> what I want.
>
> Thanks Ophelia - I love Flylady.net! I'll definitely be looking here
> for ways to do things better (like the pampering routines!) but I
> couldn't find anything about recipe software?

ahh.. sorry. I must have been having a blonde moment What I was
thinking of was Leanne's recipes and menus. She provides a shopping
list for all the indgredients

That is fine, it was a good link anyway.

Thanks for your help.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hi Bill,

I looked at Mastervook, but it wasn't really what I was after.

For me, it was not the recipes I was after as much as the menu
generator. We just took so long to figure out what to eat each night
and didn't feel like anything...when we did, it was always the same
stuff.

I have been using EzyEating now for a few days and we have eaten things
we haven't eaten in years! It is great!

Now I use Google to get new recipes to put into EzyEating so I can add
them to my menu!

fi

Posted to rec.food.cooking

You might also look at BigOven, at http://www.bigoven.com.

1) Create meal plans by dragging and dropping recipes
2) Search for recipes by ingredient, cuisine, tags, and more
3) Post photos and share recipes with others around the world
4) Search an archive of over 150,000+ recipes, many with ratings and
comments, and import the ones you want with a click of the mouse
5) Create shopping lists for the recipes you want by dragging and
dropping recipe cards
6) Generate nutrition facts (calories, carbs, etc.) for any recipe
7) Publish to your Palm or Windows Mobile PDA
8) Create a running list of "Try Soon" and "Favorite" recipes online
that are available from any web browser

.... more

Free trial, and more info, is at http://www.bigoven.com