rmg

Default tasteless apples

I bought some apples on sale - Gala apples - which are rather small and hard
with tough skins and a tasteless flesh. They are very fibrous so they're
useful for that. What can I do to improve them? Would they become more
inspirational if I cooked them and added something? I don't really want to
add sugar to them. Thanks for any suggestions.

- rox

jmcquown

rmg wrote:
> I bought some apples on sale - Gala apples - which are rather small
> and hard with tough skins and a tasteless flesh. They are very
> fibrous so they're useful for that. What can I do to improve them?
> Would they become more inspirational if I cooked them and added
> something? I don't really want to add sugar to them. Thanks for any
> suggestions.
>
> - rox

Send them to me! They are the only kind of apples my small parrot will eat.
She's picky

Jill

Dee Randall

"rmg" > wrote in message
m...
>I bought some apples on sale - Gala apples - which are rather small and
>hard
> with tough skins and a tasteless flesh. They are very fibrous so they're
> useful for that. What can I do to improve them? Would they become more
> inspirational if I cooked them and added something? I don't really want to
> add sugar to them. Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> - rox

It's not necessary to add sugar when you cook-them-down into mush
(applesauce). Add a pinch of salt and very little of the spice that you
normally see in an applesauce recipe that appeals to you. Then, thaw and
cook a pork-chop.
Dee Dee

Melba's Jammin'

In article > ,
"rmg" > wrote:

> I bought some apples on sale - Gala apples - which are rather small and hard
> with tough skins and a tasteless flesh. They are very fibrous so they're
> useful for that. What can I do to improve them? Would they become more
> inspirational if I cooked them and added something? I don't really want to
> add sugar to them. Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> - rox

I don't know the purported characteristics of that variety (keeping
quality, good for eating, sauce, pie, baking, etc.) but whatever you
wind up doing with it, sweet spices could probably be involved
(cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, ginger, allspice, clove) -- not all at
once, though. I made a cherry-apple crisp that would make you weep.
I'm thinking you'll need a fruit with some strong character to prop up
your wimpy apple. Prolly not much help, but it's what I've got right
now. :-/
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.
The Ranger

rmg > wrote in message
m...
> I bought some apples on sale - Gala apples - which are
> rather small and hard with tough skins and a tasteless flesh.
> They are very fibrous so they're useful for that. What can
> I do to improve them? Would they become more inspirational
> if I cooked them and added something? I don't really want to
> add sugar to them. Thanks for any suggestions.

Baked Apples in Harvest Wine
Fried Cinnamon Apples
Apple pie

I use Galas with similar traits for all these items. The cinnamon helps
enhance the missing sugariness.

The Ranger

Sheldon

rmg wrote:
> I bought some apples on sale - Gala apples - which are rather small and hard
> with tough skins and a tasteless flesh. They are very fibrous so they're
> useful for that. What can I do to improve them? Would they become more
> inspirational if I cooked them and added something? I don't really want to
> add sugar to them. Thanks for any suggestions.

Sounds like they were picked immature... probably why they were on
sale... once picked apples do not ripen. Immature apples are an
excellent source of pectin, add to jams/jellies.

Sheldon

Doug Kanter

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article > ,
> "rmg" > wrote:
>
>> I bought some apples on sale - Gala apples - which are rather small and
>> hard
>> with tough skins and a tasteless flesh. They are very fibrous so they're
>> useful for that. What can I do to improve them? Would they become more
>> inspirational if I cooked them and added something? I don't really want
>> add sugar to them. Thanks for any suggestions.
>>
>> - rox

> I don't know the purported characteristics of that variety (keeping
> quality, good for eating, sauce, pie, baking, etc.)

From http://www.fowlerfarms.com/apple_varieties.htm:
"Gala, a new variety developed in New Zealand. It's got the mild flavor that
"picky eaters" prefer and a striking bright yellow-red color that attracts
the eye."

You'll notice that this company can find something interesting to say about
almost all their other apples, but not Gala. Mild flavor for picky eaters?
But, it sounds like a pretty apple, perfect for putting in a bowl for art
class students to paint pictures of. :-)

Denny Wheeler

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 08:40:22 GMT, "rmg"
> wrote:

>I bought some apples on sale - Gala apples - which are rather small and hard
>with tough skins and a tasteless flesh

I've had quite a few Galas and none were like that. I suspect
Sheldon's right about their being picked too early.

--
-denny-
"Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth unannounced?"

"It's come as you are, baby."

-over the hedge
rmg

"Doug Kanter" > wrote in message
> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > In article > ,
> > "rmg" > wrote:
> >
> >> I bought some apples on sale - Gala apples - which are rather small and
> >> hard
> >> with tough skins and a tasteless flesh. They are very fibrous so

they're
> >> useful for that. What can I do to improve them? Would they become more
> >> inspirational if I cooked them and added something? I don't really want
> >> add sugar to them. Thanks for any suggestions.
> >>
> >> - rox

> > I don't know the purported characteristics of that variety (keeping
> > quality, good for eating, sauce, pie, baking, etc.)

> From http://www.fowlerfarms.com/apple_varieties.htm:
> "Gala, a new variety developed in New Zealand. It's got the mild flavor

that
> "picky eaters" prefer and a striking bright yellow-red color that attracts
> the eye."
>
> You'll notice that this company can find something interesting to say

about
> almost all their other apples, but not Gala. Mild flavor for picky eaters?
> But, it sounds like a pretty apple, perfect for putting in a bowl for art
> class students to paint pictures of. :-)

I really like good Gala apples. But these aren't. Thanks everyone for your
suggestions. Perhaps some baked apple slices with cinnamon.

cheers

rox

Doug Kanter

"rmg" > wrote in message
m...

> "Doug Kanter" > wrote in message
>> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> they're

>> > I don't know the purported characteristics of that variety (keeping
>> > quality, good for eating, sauce, pie, baking, etc.)

>> From http://www.fowlerfarms.com/apple_varieties.htm:
>> "Gala, a new variety developed in New Zealand. It's got the mild flavor

> that
>> "picky eaters" prefer and a striking bright yellow-red color that
>> attracts
>> the eye."
>>
>> You'll notice that this company can find something interesting to say

> about
>> almost all their other apples, but not Gala. Mild flavor for picky
>> eaters?
>> But, it sounds like a pretty apple, perfect for putting in a bowl for art
>> class students to paint pictures of. :-)

> I really like good Gala apples. But these aren't. Thanks everyone for your
> suggestions. Perhaps some baked apple slices with cinnamon.
>
> cheers
>
> rox

Try Cortlands if you can find them. They'll change your life. There's simply
nothing like a Cortland apple at this time of year.

Nancy Young

"rmg" > wrote

>I bought some apples on sale - Gala apples - which are rather small and
>hard
> with tough skins and a tasteless flesh.

This is strictly a coincidence, I had nothing to do with the fact
that we wound up with Gala apples from Whole Foods earlier
this week. They were to go into the red cabbage recipe. In
making it I took a bite of the apple, so to speak ... it had a
very nice texture and flavor. Coming from me, that's a real
compliment, as I really don't care for apples. I would actually
go out of my way to eat one of those apples, they were that
good.

So, either you got a really bad apple or I got a really good one.

nancy

Doug Kanter

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "rmg" > wrote
>
>>I bought some apples on sale - Gala apples - which are rather small and
>>hard
>> with tough skins and a tasteless flesh.

> This is strictly a coincidence, I had nothing to do with the fact
> that we wound up with Gala apples from Whole Foods earlier
> this week. They were to go into the red cabbage recipe. In
> making it I took a bite of the apple, so to speak ... it had a
> very nice texture and flavor. Coming from me, that's a real
> compliment, as I really don't care for apples. I would actually
> go out of my way to eat one of those apples, they were that
> good.
>
> So, either you got a really bad apple or I got a really good one.
>
> nancy

I'm curious: If you go to a supermarket - not a boutique food store, but a
supermarket which targets walkin'-around slobs like everyone:

1) How many apple varieties are available *****NOW*****, not in July or
January, but *****NOW*****, late October.

2) Where are those apples from, if you happen to know?

3) Where are you from? I don't mean your street address. I mean you state
and/or province, and what country.

Nancy Young

"Doug Kanter" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> This is strictly a coincidence, I had nothing to do with the fact
>> that we wound up with Gala apples from Whole Foods earlier
>> this week. They were to go into the red cabbage recipe. In
>> making it I took a bite of the apple, so to speak ... it had a
>> very nice texture and flavor. Coming from me, that's a real
>> compliment, as I really don't care for apples. I would actually
>> go out of my way to eat one of those apples, they were that
>> good.
>>
>> So, either you got a really bad apple or I got a really good one.

> I'm curious: If you go to a supermarket - not a boutique food store, but
> a supermarket which targets walkin'-around slobs like everyone:
>
> 1) How many apple varieties are available *****NOW*****, not in July or
> January, but *****NOW*****, late October.

I don't really notice, but I'm pretty sure they are the same year
round ... macs, grannies, red delicious, maybe galas ... that's about
it. I'm a bad person to ask since we rarely buy apples. Other
stores nearby probably have a wider selection as they have larger
produce departments.

The supermarket I frequent is not known for its produce, that is
not to say it's typical.

Oh, I know I've seen romes on occasion. Nasty apple for
eating.

> 2) Where are those apples from, if you happen to know?

Don't know.

> 3) Where are you from? I don't mean your street address. I mean you state
> and/or province, and what country.

Central NJ, USA.

nancy

Doug Kanter

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "Doug Kanter" > wrote
>>
>> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>>> This is strictly a coincidence, I had nothing to do with the fact
>>> that we wound up with Gala apples from Whole Foods earlier
>>> this week. They were to go into the red cabbage recipe. In
>>> making it I took a bite of the apple, so to speak ... it had a
>>> very nice texture and flavor. Coming from me, that's a real
>>> compliment, as I really don't care for apples. I would actually
>>> go out of my way to eat one of those apples, they were that
>>> good.
>>>
>>> So, either you got a really bad apple or I got a really good one.

>> I'm curious: If you go to a supermarket - not a boutique food store, but
>> a supermarket which targets walkin'-around slobs like everyone:
>>
>> 1) How many apple varieties are available *****NOW*****, not in July or
>> January, but *****NOW*****, late October.

> I don't really notice, but I'm pretty sure they are the same year
> round ... macs, grannies, red delicious, maybe galas ... that's about
> it. I'm a bad person to ask since we rarely buy apples. Other
> stores nearby probably have a wider selection as they have larger
> produce departments.
>
> The supermarket I frequent is not known for its produce, that is
> not to say it's typical.
>
> Oh, I know I've seen romes on occasion. Nasty apple for
> eating.
>
>> 2) Where are those apples from, if you happen to know?

> Don't know.
>
>> 3) Where are you from? I don't mean your street address. I mean you state
>> and/or province, and what country.

> Central NJ, USA.
>
> nancy

If the variety's the same year-round, then you're the victim of a syndrome I
can't explain. I'm from Rochester, and I'm acquainted with a guy who works
for one of the largest apple growers in the Northeast, Fowler Farms. He says
that at this time of year, they *always* have enough nice, new autumn apples
to ship to NJ, Long Island, or New England. Here, we can get about a dozen
varieties, all from the current harvest, all grown within 50 miles of here.

My company's headquarters is in Long Island, and when I visit, I'm usually
asked to bring apples. Like you, they only seem to get the lamest varieties,
usually from Washington State or overseas, and only those which ship well,
but don't have much taste.

Check the link below and see if there's a Wegman's supermarket nearby. If
so, check there for apples with Fowler Farms stickers on them. If the stores
are anything like the ones here, you'll be pleasantly surprised. And, if
they have Cortland apples, be prepared to eat nothing but apples for a
couple of months. Beginning in a month or so, you'll may notice a shinier
wax on the apples than you see now. Obviously, this is because the harvest
is over and the effort begins to preserve freshness as long as possible.
Fowler does a pretty good job of this. Empire apples tend to last well into
the spring. Cortlands taper off sooner.

http://www.wegmans.com/about/storeLocator/

Nancy Young

"Doug Kanter" > wrote

> If the variety's the same year-round, then you're the victim of a syndrome
> I can't explain. I'm from Rochester, and I'm acquainted with a guy who
> works for one of the largest apple growers in the Northeast, Fowler Farms.
> He says that at this time of year, they *always* have enough nice, new
> autumn apples to ship to NJ, Long Island, or New England. Here, we can get
> about a dozen varieties, all from the current harvest, all grown within 50
> miles of here.

We do actually still have orchards here, believe it or not, but I don't know
that they sell to the major chains.

> My company's headquarters is in Long Island, and when I visit, I'm usually
> asked to bring apples. Like you, they only seem to get the lamest
> varieties, usually from Washington State or overseas, and only those which
> ship well, but don't have much taste.
>
> Check the link below and see if there's a Wegman's supermarket nearby. If
> so, check there for apples with Fowler Farms stickers on them. If the
> stores are anything like the ones here, you'll be pleasantly surprised.
> And, if they have Cortland apples, be prepared to eat nothing but apples
> for a couple of months. Beginning in a month or so, you'll may notice a
> shinier wax on the apples than you see now. Obviously, this is because the
> harvest is over and the effort begins to preserve freshness as long as
> possible. Fowler does a pretty good job of this. Empire apples tend to
> last well into the spring. Cortlands taper off sooner.

Thanks for that great story. I will go to Wegman's ... not only do I live
about 15 minutes from a new Whole Foods, I live about 15 miles or less
of 2 different Wegman's. I'll make it over there one day this week, not
just for the apples.

nancy

Doug Kanter

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "Doug Kanter" > wrote
>
>> If the variety's the same year-round, then you're the victim of a
>> syndrome I can't explain. I'm from Rochester, and I'm acquainted with a
>> guy who works for one of the largest apple growers in the Northeast,
>> Fowler Farms. He says that at this time of year, they *always* have
>> enough nice, new autumn apples to ship to NJ, Long Island, or New
>> England. Here, we can get about a dozen varieties, all from the current
>> harvest, all grown within 50 miles of here.

> We do actually still have orchards here, believe it or not, but I don't
> know
> that they sell to the major chains.
>
>> My company's headquarters is in Long Island, and when I visit, I'm
>> usually asked to bring apples. Like you, they only seem to get the lamest
>> varieties, usually from Washington State or overseas, and only those
>> which ship well, but don't have much taste.
>>
>> Check the link below and see if there's a Wegman's supermarket nearby. If
>> so, check there for apples with Fowler Farms stickers on them. If the
>> stores are anything like the ones here, you'll be pleasantly surprised.
>> And, if they have Cortland apples, be prepared to eat nothing but apples
>> for a couple of months. Beginning in a month or so, you'll may notice a
>> shinier wax on the apples than you see now. Obviously, this is because
>> the harvest is over and the effort begins to preserve freshness as long
>> as possible. Fowler does a pretty good job of this. Empire apples tend to
>> last well into the spring. Cortlands taper off sooner.

> Thanks for that great story. I will go to Wegman's ... not only do I live
> about 15 minutes from a new Whole Foods, I live about 15 miles or less
> of 2 different Wegman's. I'll make it over there one day this week, not
> just for the apples.
>
> nancy

You've never been to a Wegman's? Yikes! Here, when guests come to town, it's
considered de rigeur to take them to the flagship store, which is a truly
astounding place. The rest of the grocery industry wishes they could emulate
Wegman's. It's a mystery why they don't even try.

Dee Randall

"Doug Kanter" > wrote in message

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Doug Kanter" > wrote
>>
>>> If the variety's the same year-round, then you're the victim of a
>>> syndrome I can't explain. I'm from Rochester, and I'm acquainted with a
>>> guy who works for one of the largest apple growers in the Northeast,
>>> Fowler Farms. He says that at this time of year, they *always* have
>>> enough nice, new autumn apples to ship to NJ, Long Island, or New
>>> England. Here, we can get about a dozen varieties, all from the current
>>> harvest, all grown within 50 miles of here.

>> We do actually still have orchards here, believe it or not, but I don't
>> know
>> that they sell to the major chains.
>>
>>> My company's headquarters is in Long Island, and when I visit, I'm
>>> usually asked to bring apples. Like you, they only seem to get the
>>> lamest varieties, usually from Washington State or overseas, and only
>>> those which ship well, but don't have much taste.
>>>
>>> Check the link below and see if there's a Wegman's supermarket nearby.
>>> If so, check there for apples with Fowler Farms stickers on them. If the
>>> stores are anything like the ones here, you'll be pleasantly surprised.
>>> And, if they have Cortland apples, be prepared to eat nothing but apples
>>> for a couple of months. Beginning in a month or so, you'll may notice a
>>> shinier wax on the apples than you see now. Obviously, this is because
>>> the harvest is over and the effort begins to preserve freshness as long
>>> as possible. Fowler does a pretty good job of this. Empire apples tend
>>> to last well into the spring. Cortlands taper off sooner.

>> Thanks for that great story. I will go to Wegman's ... not only do I
>> live
>> about 15 minutes from a new Whole Foods, I live about 15 miles or less
>> of 2 different Wegman's. I'll make it over there one day this week, not
>> just for the apples.
>>
>> nancy
>>

> You've never been to a Wegman's? Yikes! Here, when guests come to town,
> it's considered de rigeur to take them to the flagship store, which is a
> truly astounding place. The rest of the grocery industry wishes they could
> emulate Wegman's. It's a mystery why they don't even try.

It's not a mystery to me. People here seem to LOVE Walmart shopping. When
Kroger came in, it wasn't long (maybe 18 months?) until they were gone.
Kroger and Walmart and Food Lion are all about the same to me for shopping.
Usually the compulsory produce and milk - the rest is cans and boxes.
Dee Dee

Doug Kanter

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

> "Doug Kanter" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Doug Kanter" > wrote

>>> We do actually still have orchards here, believe it or not, but I don't
>>> know
>>> that they sell to the major chains.

>>> Thanks for that great story. I will go to Wegman's ... not only do I
>>> live
>>> about 15 minutes from a new Whole Foods, I live about 15 miles or less
>>> of 2 different Wegman's. I'll make it over there one day this week, not
>>> just for the apples.
>>>
>>> nancy
>>>

>> You've never been to a Wegman's? Yikes! Here, when guests come to town,
>> it's considered de rigeur to take them to the flagship store, which is a
>> truly astounding place. The rest of the grocery industry wishes they
>> could emulate Wegman's. It's a mystery why they don't even try.

> It's not a mystery to me. People here seem to LOVE Walmart shopping.
> When Kroger came in, it wasn't long (maybe 18 months?) until they were
> gone. Kroger and Walmart and Food Lion are all about the same to me for
> shopping. Usually the compulsory produce and milk - the rest is cans and
> boxes.
> Dee Dee

That's sad, and indicates a lack of any visionaries among the management at
those supermarkets. Here, Wal Mart has opened near a number of Wegman's
stores, but it hasn't made much of a dent in their business. Our local
newspaper does a sample price shop every so often, visiting Wal Mart,
Wegman's, and Tops, a third competitor. Without fail, Wegman's is always the
cheapest. And, unlike WM, the produce doesn't look like it's been thrown
against the wall before being put on display.

What's really interesting is that people around here constantly comment that
Wegman's is more expensive. The stores are spotless, the help is helpful,
the selection's amazing, etc., so it gives the impression of BEING
expensive. It's interesting how perceptions work.

Dee Randall

"Doug Kanter" > wrote in message

> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message

>>> You've never been to a Wegman's? Yikes! Here, when guests come to town,
>>> it's considered de rigeur to take them to the flagship store, which is a
>>> truly astounding place. The rest of the grocery industry wishes they
>>> could emulate Wegman's. It's a mystery why they don't even try.

>> It's not a mystery to me. People here seem to LOVE Walmart shopping.
>> When Kroger came in, it wasn't long (maybe 18 months?) until they were
>> gone. Kroger and Walmart and Food Lion are all about the same to me for
>> shopping. Usually the compulsory produce and milk - the rest is cans and
>> boxes.
>> Dee Dee
>>>

> That's sad, and indicates a lack of any visionaries among the management
> at those supermarkets. Here, Wal Mart has opened near a number of Wegman's
> stores, but it hasn't made much of a dent in their business. Our local
> newspaper does a sample price shop every so often, visiting Wal Mart,
> Wegman's, and Tops, a third competitor. Without fail, Wegman's is always
> the cheapest. And, unlike WM, the produce doesn't look like it's been
> thrown against the wall before being put on display.
>
> What's really interesting is that people around here constantly comment
> that Wegman's is more expensive. The stores are spotless, the help is
> helpful, the selection's amazing, etc., so it gives the impression of
> BEING expensive. It's interesting how perceptions work.

Our local
> newspaper does a sample price shop every so often, visiting Wal Mart,
> Wegman's, and Tops, a third competitor. Without fail, Wegman's is always
> the cheapest.

Incredible! No accounting for taste! Di-GUST-o
Dee Dee

Nancy Young

> "Doug Kanter" > wrote

>> I wrote:

>>> Thanks for that great story. I will go to Wegman's ... not only do I
>>> live
>>> about 15 minutes from a new Whole Foods, I live about 15 miles or less
>>> of 2 different Wegman's. I'll make it over there one day this week, not
>>> just for the apples.

>> You've never been to a Wegman's? Yikes!

I did go once, a couple of years ago. Have been meaning to make
it back, just never did make it.

>> Here, when guests come to town, it's considered de rigeur to take them to
>> the flagship store, which is a truly astounding place. The rest of the
>> grocery industry wishes they could emulate Wegman's. It's a mystery why
>> they don't even try.

Yeah, it has to start from the top down, being most of them (all) around
here are chains.

What do you look for at Wegman's? Just curious. I barely bothered
going to the near-empty cans and stuff (grocery) side of the store. I was
pretty much stuck in the prepared foods, cheese, etc. areas.

Yeah, I know, it must seem that I go to supermarkets looking for
prepared foods, really, I don't. They don't have anything I'd get anyway,
so you know I don't. When I say prepared foods, I mean meals to
take home and heat up, or salads, etc, not frozen dinners. Wegman's
had fabulous looking stuff, a lot of it packaged to go. All I got was
a package of potstickers but they had some really yummy (sorry)
looking dinners.

I'm surprised what you said about the prices, I also assumed, hey you
don't go there to get laundry detergent unless you have no other choice.
Unless you're just plain rich. I'll check it out.

And the apples. (laugh)

nancy

Evelyn

So far, this year, the best apples I've had are Macouns and Honey Crisp,
the latter form Washington state. They are crisp, juicy and sweet.
E.

Doug Kanter

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

>>> You've never been to a Wegman's? Yikes!

> I did go once, a couple of years ago. Have been meaning to make
> it back, just never did make it.
>
>>> Here, when guests come to town, it's considered de rigeur to take them
>>> to the flagship store, which is a truly astounding place. The rest of
>>> the grocery industry wishes they could emulate Wegman's. It's a mystery
>>> why they don't even try.

> Yeah, it has to start from the top down, being most of them (all) around
> here are chains.
>
> What do you look for at Wegman's? Just curious. I barely bothered
> going to the near-empty cans and stuff (grocery) side of the store. I was
> pretty much stuck in the prepared foods, cheese, etc. areas.

Whattya mean? I buy everything there except fishing tackle and hard liquor.
The seafood's the freshest (with one hideous exception in 20 years, pointed
out to the manager and quickly fixed). The produce is perfect. They were out
of no-MSG chicken broth yesterday, but that's rare.

> Yeah, I know, it must seem that I go to supermarkets looking for
> prepared foods, really, I don't. They don't have anything I'd get anyway,
> so you know I don't. When I say prepared foods, I mean meals to
> take home and heat up, or salads, etc, not frozen dinners. Wegman's
> had fabulous looking stuff, a lot of it packaged to go. All I got was
> a package of potstickers but they had some really yummy (sorry)
> looking dinners.
>
> I'm surprised what you said about the prices, I also assumed, hey you
> don't go there to get laundry detergent unless you have no other choice.
> Unless you're just plain rich. I'll check it out.

Yeah...I could go to pig mart for laundry detergent. But, then I'd have to
wait in the express lane, which is designated for less than 20 items, and
watch as a bunch of cretins unload 73 baby clothin items onto the belt while
the pimple-face "manager" drools and wonders how to explain "express lane"
to them. No. Pig mart makes me nauseous.

> And the apples. (laugh)

If you don't find Cortland or Empire apples at Wegman's, let me know. I'll
find out why.

Doug Kanter

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> So far, this year, the best apples I've had are Macouns and Honey Crisp,
> the latter form Washington state. They are crisp, juicy and sweet.
> E.

And where do you live? It's germain to the conversation.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"Nancy Young" > wrote

> "Doug Kanter" > wrote

>> 1) How many apple varieties are available *****NOW*****, not in July or
>> January, but *****NOW*****, late October.

> I don't really notice, but I'm pretty sure they are the same year
> round ... macs, grannies, red delicious, maybe galas ... that's about
> it. I'm a bad person to ask since we rarely buy apples. Other
> stores nearby probably have a wider selection as they have larger
> produce departments.

Okay, I remembered to look when I went shopping at my usual
supermarket. I was suprised to find Fuji, Gala, Winesap, Rome,
Grannies, Red and Golden Delicious, as well as Macs. More
varieties than I would have expected.

I went to a different store, one I would have expected to have
many more, they had all those except Winesap or Rome, also
Honey Crisp and Cortlands.

No, I didn't make it to Wegman's this week, didn't work out.
Next week.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Goomba38

Nancy Young wrote:

> Okay, I remembered to look when I went shopping at my usual
> supermarket. I was suprised to find Fuji, Gala, Winesap, Rome,
> Grannies, Red and Golden Delicious, as well as Macs. More
> varieties than I would have expected.
>
> I went to a different store, one I would have expected to have
> many more, they had all those except Winesap or Rome, also
> Honey Crisp and Cortlands.

I bought my first Johnagold and HoneyCrisp today. Wow.. those are good
apples!
Goomba

Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Cook

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 21:58:49 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

>Okay, I remembered to look when I went shopping at my usual
>supermarket. I was suprised to find Fuji, Gala, Winesap, Rome,
>Grannies, Red and Golden Delicious, as well as Macs. More
>varieties than I would have expected.
>
>I went to a different store, one I would have expected to have
>many more, they had all those except Winesap or Rome, also
>Honey Crisp and Cortlands.

One advantage of living the boondocks is the availability of some
fresh foods. We stopped at the local vegetable stand today and I saw
the apples you listed as well as Red Winesap, Arkansas Black, Virginia
Beauty, Cameo. There were a couple of others that I do not remember
the name of or am having trouble translating. The sign preparer tends
to spell phonetically. BTW, all varieties were 79¢ a pound. Pink
Ladies are due in a week or two.
--
Susan N.