Curly Sue

Default Personal Responsibility in Food Consumption Act

That's the real name of the new law:
http://www.abcnews.go.com/Health/Leg...ory?id=1231307

and the Personal Responsibility in Receiving Bullets Act (OK, I made
that name up :> )
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8759152/

Sue(tm)
Nancy Young

"Curly Sue" > wrote

> That's the real name of the new law:
> http://www.abcnews.go.com/Health/Leg...ory?id=1231307

Well, there's a start.

nancy

jmcquown

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Curly Sue" > wrote
>
>> That's the real name of the new law:
>> http://www.abcnews.go.com/Health/Leg...ory?id=1231307

> Well, there's a start.
>
> nancy

Having seen all too many co-workers chow down on a huge burger and
"supersized" fries day after day and then listen to them complain about
their "diets", I have to say this legislation came none too soon.

Don't get me wrong; I had a burger for dinner last night. I love an
occasional big sloppy burger. (Particularly with bacon, sauteed mushrooms
and lots of swiss cheese. I usually make mine at home.) But I surely don't
think I have the right to blame anyone for me buying a burger and then I
gain weight; that's just stupid. The legislation is about frivilous
lawsuits. It's about time that happened.

Jill

Pan Ohco

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 22:55:09 GMT, Curly Sue wrote:

>That's the real name of the new law:
>http://www.abcnews.go.com/Health/Leg...ory?id=1231307
>
>and the Personal Responsibility in Receiving Bullets Act (OK, I made
>that name up :> )
>http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8759152/

A better name would be Personal Responsibility in Sending Bullets act.

Pan Ohco

Cindy Fuller

In article >,
(Curly Sue) wrote:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8759152/

Y'all knew I'd weigh in on this topic. While I'm a firm believer in
personal responsibility, I'm also a firm believer in corporate and
government reponsibility, Fast food joints that have recipes that are
standardized to the nearest gram should have readily available nutrition
information. If you've seen "Super Size Me", you'll remember that it
was a rare McDonalds that had their nutrition pamphlets out for
consumers. Government at all levels should get age-appropriate
nutrition and health messages and education into the schools and public
airwaves. I would also advocate taking all food- and nutrition-related
issues (safety, labeling, and the like) and giving it to one agency.
The current situation is hopelessly fractured and at the mercy of food
and grocery industry lobbyists.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me

Michael O'Connor

> Y'all knew I'd weigh in on this topic. While I'm a firm believer in
> personal responsibility, I'm also a firm believer in corporate and
> government reponsibility, Fast food joints that have recipes that are
> standardized to the nearest gram should have readily available nutrition
> information. If you've seen "Super Size Me", you'll remember that it
> was a rare McDonalds that had their nutrition pamphlets out for
> consumers. Government at all levels should get age-appropriate
> nutrition and health messages and education into the schools and public
> airwaves. I would also advocate taking all food- and nutrition-related
> issues (safety, labeling, and the like) and giving it to one agency.
> The current situation is hopelessly fractured and at the mercy of food
> and grocery industry lobbyists.

The fast food franchises are partially to blame for this; despite what
they said in Supersize Me, whenever I go to Mickey D's (which is rare),
they still ask me if I want to supersize it.

The problem with obesity in this country is that diet is only half of
the solution, the other half is exercise. Without regular exercise,
eating healthy food won't help much, and if you eat unhealthy food 24/7
and exercise you're unlikely to lose much weight.

You have a generation of kids today who by and large never get outside
and exercise when not at school; they spend all their free time
watching DVD's or MTV or surfing the net or talking on their cellphones
or playing Xbox instead of playing football or shooting hoops or riding
bikes or skipping rope.

The schools are also responsible for this as many elementary school
phys ed programs have removed a lot of team and individual competitive
games (such as dodgeball and kickball) from their curriculums as
lawyers have brought it to their attention that it may hurt the
feelings of the kids on the losing side. I was reading an article
recently where a new game is being introduced to phys ed programs
around the country, and the game consists of a table and a bunch of
plastic cups and the object is to see who can stack all the cups into a
single column the fastest. I am not making this up. How many calories
can you burn during an activity of this kind? How does it promote
teamwork and co-operation?

Also many schools opened their doors to the soda companies and candy
companies and let them put vending machines in schools. School lunches
are generally not very tasty, but they are a lot healthier than a lunch
consisting of a sugary pepsi, a snickers bar and a bag of chips.

As far as obesity in children, I put most of the blame squarely on the
shoulders of the parents, who should take more responsibility in
monitoring what their children eat and refraining from buying lots of
junk food, and to make their kids get outside and get some fresh air
once in a while. Instead of buying a box of ho-hos or a bag of reeses
cups, buy a bag of apples or a bunch of bananas and instead of sugary
sodas or kool aid, plain milk or water.

With regards to obesity in adults, nobody is forcing them to eat big
macs and double whoppers for lunch every day. Adults should be
responsible enough to know that eating junk food all the time is not
healthy. It all comes down to personal responsibility; adults
understand their rights but not their responsibilities. You have the
right to eat whatever you like, but you have to also understand the
responsibility of the food choices you make. We live in a country
where nobody is responsible for anything that happens for them; it's
always somebody else's fault and there's always an opportunistic lawyer
around willing to take their case.