Old 20-10-2005, 10:40 PM
Melba's Jammin'

Default Pumpkin custard ?

I want to make a pumpkin pie without the crust -- a pumpkin custard, I
guess. Must it be baked? In a pie plate? If not baked, what?
Anything I should be alert about or not do?

I await (most of) your counsel and advise.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.

Old 20-10-2005, 10:54 PM
Janet Bostwick

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message
I want to make a pumpkin pie without the crust -- a pumpkin custard, I
guess. Must it be baked? In a pie plate? If not baked, what?
Anything I should be alert about or not do?

I await (most of) your counsel and advise.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.

I've always baked them--sometimes in a casserole dish to serve family style
and sometimes in little custard cups. I used the same baking directions, I
can't remember off hand, but maybe 400F for 15 minutes and 350F until done.
I just use the jiggle or knife test to tell when they are done. I've never
put them in a water bath either. It's always worked out fine but when I
started doing this years ago, I wasn't smart enough to think that it might
not work out. I actually prefer doing pumpkin custard because I detest
making pie crust and I love the pumpkin stuffing. I might do that this
weekend. After all the talk about turkeys and broth, I'm thawing a turkey
for the Nesco. Good Luck.
Janet

Old 20-10-2005, 10:57 PM
Debbie

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message
|I want to make a pumpkin pie without the crust -- a pumpkin custard, I
| guess. Must it be baked? In a pie plate? If not baked, what?
| Anything I should be alert about or not do?

I just put it in a casserole and bake. Seems to me I have this memroy of
greasing the pan the last time I made it.. but I'm not exactly sure why. :-)

Debbie

Old 20-10-2005, 11:06 PM
Sharon Chilson

When I make a pumpkin custard I follow the pumpkin pie recipe on the
back of the can, then put it in a buttered oven proof dish and bake it
like a pie.

Old 20-10-2005, 11:13 PM
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 20 Oct 2005 02:40:21p, Melba's Jammin' wrote in rec.food.cooking:

I want to make a pumpkin pie without the crust -- a pumpkin custard, I
guess. Must it be baked? In a pie plate? If not baked, what?
Anything I should be alert about or not do?

I await (most of) your counsel and advise.

Barb, I bake them as I would egg custard, in lightly greased custard cups set
in a pan of hot very hot water. 325-350 degrees F. They are done when the
tip of a knife comes out clean when inserted midways between the edge and
center.

IMHO, pumpkin would have a very "raw" (yes I know it's already cooked) taste
if the custard or pudding id not baked.

--
Wayne Boatwright **

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Old 20-10-2005, 11:42 PM
Melba's Jammin'

In article ,
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

On Thu 20 Oct 2005 02:40:21p, Melba's Jammin' wrote in rec.food.cooking:

I want to make a pumpkin pie without the crust -- a pumpkin custard, I
guess. Must it be baked? In a pie plate? If not baked, what?
Anything I should be alert about or not do?

I await (most of) your counsel and advise.

Barb, I bake them as I would egg custard, in lightly greased custard cups set
in a pan of hot very hot water. 325-350 degrees F. They are done when the
tip of a knife comes out clean when inserted midways between the edge and
center.

IMHO, pumpkin would have a very "raw" (yes I know it's already cooked) taste
if the custard or pudding id not baked.

Thanks.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.
Old 20-10-2005, 11:43 PM
Melba's Jammin'

In article ,
"Janet Bostwick" wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Janet.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.
Old 20-10-2005, 11:44 PM
Dave Smith

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

I want to make a pumpkin pie without the crust -- a pumpkin custard, I
guess. Must it be baked? In a pie plate? If not baked, what?
Anything I should be alert about or not do?

A pumpkin pie is basically pumpkin custard baked in a pie shell, and I can't
see any reason that it could not be done in a greased baking dish. You may
want to cut down on the pumpkin to give it a more custard like texture.

Old 21-10-2005, 01:06 AM
Karen

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message
I want to make a pumpkin pie without the crust -- a pumpkin custard, I
guess. Must it be baked? In a pie plate? If not baked, what?
Anything I should be alert about or not do?

I await (most of) your counsel and advise.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.

I'm a diabetic, and I've made many pumpkin pies without the
carbohydrate-laden crust. I just spritz a pie pan with nonstick spray, and
bake as the recipe directs. Cool and slice as you would a regular pie - the
slices will lift easily from the pie pan.

This method also works beautifully for crustless quiche dishes, too.

Karen

Old 21-10-2005, 01:23 AM
Dave Smith

Karen wrote:

I'm a diabetic, and I've made many pumpkin pies without the
carbohydrate-laden crust. I just spritz a pie pan with nonstick spray, and
bake as the recipe directs. Cool and slice as you would a regular pie - the
slices will lift easily from the pie pan.

This method also works beautifully for crustless quiche dishes, too.

I am not diabetic, so I have to ask about this carb thing and diabetes. How do
the carbs in the crust compare with all the sugar in the pie? There is a cup of
brown sugar in a pumpkin pie.

Old 21-10-2005, 01:26 AM
MoM

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message
I want to make a pumpkin pie without the crust -- a pumpkin custard, I
guess. Must it be baked? In a pie plate? If not baked, what?
Anything I should be alert about or not do?

I await (most of) your counsel and advise.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Browned Pumpkin

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 2
Cuisine:
Main Ingredient:
Categories: Pies

-= Ingredients =-
1 small Pumpkin

-= Instructions =-
Bake the pumpkin till tender in the oven at 350. butter a heavy cast iron
frying pan and cook the pumpkin over medium heat, stirring and turning so
all parts dry properly. Keep this up til it is reduced and slightly
browned. I start with 2 cups and end up with 1 1/2 cups of wonderful nutty
browned pumpkin. If recipe calls for a little more than 1 1/2 cups just
start with 1/2 cup more than called for and follow the above instructions.

** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping. **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Pumpkin Pudding

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 1
Cuisine:
Main Ingredient:

-= Ingredients =-
0 -MM ; BY HELEN PEAGRAM-
1/2 cup Browned ; strained pumpkin
2 tablespoons All purpose flour
1 cup Brown sugar
2 cups Milk
1 cup Carnation 2% canned milk
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon Ginger
1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
2 Eggs ; beaten
0

-= Instructions =-
This recipe calls for browned pumpkin which is accomplished by buttering a
heavy cast iron frying pan and cooking the 2 cups pumpkin over medium heat,
stirring and turning soall parts dry properly. Keep this up til it is
reduced to 1 1/2 cups. It wi Place the browned pumpkin in a bowl,
sprinkle with flour and brown sugar and stir til thoroughly mixed. Add
spices and eggs and beat well. Scald milk. Add the canned milk to scalded
milk. Add milks to pumpkin mixture Beat together til well mix Place
mixture in a greased casserole and place it in a larger casserole with hot
water that comes half way up the outside of inner casserole. Place in a 325
F oven and oven poach til a knife comes out clean when tested. Serve hot or
cold. This is actually pumpkin pie filling, but I prefer it without the
pastry and it is better for me. No great amount of fat in this one.Per
Serving (excluding unknown items): 872 Calories; 17g Fat (17.0% calories
from fat); 16g Protein; 170g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 66mg
Cholesterol; 298mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 2 Non-Fat Milk; 3
Fat; 9 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Old 21-10-2005, 02:24 AM
Bob Terwilliger

Wayne replied:

I want to make a pumpkin pie without the crust -- a pumpkin custard, I
guess. Must it be baked? In a pie plate? If not baked, what?
Anything I should be alert about or not do?

IMHO, pumpkin would have a very "raw" (yes I know it's already cooked)
taste if the custard or pudding id not baked.

Got me curious now...when I get around to replacing my microwave oven, I
might try microwaving a pumpkin custard. The microwave does a good job on
puddings, so it MIGHT be good at making custard.

Bob

Old 21-10-2005, 02:39 AM
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 20 Oct 2005 06:24:03p, Bob Terwilliger wrote in rec.food.cooking:

Wayne replied:

I want to make a pumpkin pie without the crust -- a pumpkin custard, I
guess. Must it be baked? In a pie plate? If not baked, what?
Anything I should be alert about or not do?

IMHO, pumpkin would have a very "raw" (yes I know it's already cooked)
taste if the custard or pudding id not baked.

Got me curious now...when I get around to replacing my microwave oven, I
might try microwaving a pumpkin custard. The microwave does a good job
on puddings, so it MIGHT be good at making custard.

Bob

It should work, especially on a lower setting. I occasionally make a
cheesecake in the m/w with good results.

--
Wayne Boatwright **
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey
Old 21-10-2005, 02:45 AM
Melba's Jammin'

In article [email protected]_s72,
"Karen" wrote:

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message
I want to make a pumpkin pie without the crust -- a pumpkin custard, I
guess. Must it be baked? In a pie plate? If not baked, what?
Anything I should be alert about or not do?

I await (most of) your counsel and advise.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.

I'm a diabetic, and I've made many pumpkin pies without the
carbohydrate-laden crust. I just spritz a pie pan with nonstick spray, and
bake as the recipe directs. Cool and slice as you would a regular pie - the
slices will lift easily from the pie pan.

This method also works beautifully for crustless quiche dishes, too.

Karen

Thanks, Karen.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.