Melba's Jammin'

Default Pumpkin custard ?

I want to make a pumpkin pie without the crust -- a pumpkin custard, I
guess. Must it be baked? In a pie plate? If not baked, what?
Anything I should be alert about or not do?

I await (most of) your counsel and advise.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.
Janet Bostwick

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>I want to make a pumpkin pie without the crust -- a pumpkin custard, I
> guess. Must it be baked? In a pie plate? If not baked, what?
> Anything I should be alert about or not do?
>
> I await (most of) your counsel and advise.
> --
> http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.

I've always baked them--sometimes in a casserole dish to serve family style
and sometimes in little custard cups. I used the same baking directions, I
can't remember off hand, but maybe 400F for 15 minutes and 350F until done.
I just use the jiggle or knife test to tell when they are done. I've never
put them in a water bath either. It's always worked out fine but when I
started doing this years ago, I wasn't smart enough to think that it might
not work out. I actually prefer doing pumpkin custard because I detest
making pie crust and I love the pumpkin stuffing. I might do that this
weekend. After all the talk about turkeys and broth, I'm thawing a turkey
for the Nesco. Good Luck.
Janet

Debbie

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
|I want to make a pumpkin pie without the crust -- a pumpkin custard, I
| guess. Must it be baked? In a pie plate? If not baked, what?
| Anything I should be alert about or not do?

I just put it in a casserole and bake. Seems to me I have this memroy of
greasing the pan the last time I made it.. but I'm not exactly sure why. :-)

Debbie

Sharon Chilson

When I make a pumpkin custard I follow the pumpkin pie recipe on the
back of the can, then put it in a buttered oven proof dish and bake it
like a pie.

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 20 Oct 2005 02:40:21p, Melba's Jammin' wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> I want to make a pumpkin pie without the crust -- a pumpkin custard, I
> guess. Must it be baked? In a pie plate? If not baked, what?
> Anything I should be alert about or not do?
>
> I await (most of) your counsel and advise.

Barb, I bake them as I would egg custard, in lightly greased custard cups set
in a pan of hot very hot water. 325-350 degrees F. They are done when the
tip of a knife comes out clean when inserted midways between the edge and
center.

IMHO, pumpkin would have a very "raw" (yes I know it's already cooked) taste
if the custard or pudding id not baked.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Thu 20 Oct 2005 02:40:21p, Melba's Jammin' wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > I want to make a pumpkin pie without the crust -- a pumpkin custard, I
> > guess. Must it be baked? In a pie plate? If not baked, what?
> > Anything I should be alert about or not do?
> >
> > I await (most of) your counsel and advise.

> Barb, I bake them as I would egg custard, in lightly greased custard cups set
> in a pan of hot very hot water. 325-350 degrees F. They are done when the
> tip of a knife comes out clean when inserted midways between the edge and
> center.
>
> IMHO, pumpkin would have a very "raw" (yes I know it's already cooked) taste
> if the custard or pudding id not baked.

Thanks.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
"Janet Bostwick" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> >I want to make a pumpkin pie without the crust -- a pumpkin custard, I
> > guess. Must it be baked? In a pie plate? If not baked, what?
> > Anything I should be alert about or not do?
> >
> > I await (most of) your counsel and advise.
> > --
> > http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.

> I've always baked them--sometimes in a casserole dish to serve family style
> and sometimes in little custard cups. I used the same baking directions, I
> can't remember off hand, but maybe 400F for 15 minutes and 350F until done.
> I just use the jiggle or knife test to tell when they are done. I've never
> put them in a water bath either. It's always worked out fine but when I
> started doing this years ago, I wasn't smart enough to think that it might
> not work out. I actually prefer doing pumpkin custard because I detest
> making pie crust and I love the pumpkin stuffing. I might do that this
> weekend. After all the talk about turkeys and broth, I'm thawing a turkey
> for the Nesco. Good Luck.
> Janet

Thanks, Janet.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.
Dave Smith

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> I want to make a pumpkin pie without the crust -- a pumpkin custard, I
> guess. Must it be baked? In a pie plate? If not baked, what?
> Anything I should be alert about or not do?

A pumpkin pie is basically pumpkin custard baked in a pie shell, and I can't
see any reason that it could not be done in a greased baking dish. You may
want to cut down on the pumpkin to give it a more custard like texture.

Karen

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>I want to make a pumpkin pie without the crust -- a pumpkin custard, I
> guess. Must it be baked? In a pie plate? If not baked, what?
> Anything I should be alert about or not do?
>
> I await (most of) your counsel and advise.
> --
> http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.

I'm a diabetic, and I've made many pumpkin pies without the
carbohydrate-laden crust. I just spritz a pie pan with nonstick spray, and
bake as the recipe directs. Cool and slice as you would a regular pie - the
slices will lift easily from the pie pan.

This method also works beautifully for crustless quiche dishes, too.

Karen

Dave Smith

Karen wrote:

> I'm a diabetic, and I've made many pumpkin pies without the
> carbohydrate-laden crust. I just spritz a pie pan with nonstick spray, and
> bake as the recipe directs. Cool and slice as you would a regular pie - the
> slices will lift easily from the pie pan.
>
> This method also works beautifully for crustless quiche dishes, too.

I am not diabetic, so I have to ask about this carb thing and diabetes. How do
the carbs in the crust compare with all the sugar in the pie? There is a cup of
brown sugar in a pumpkin pie.

MoM

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>I want to make a pumpkin pie without the crust -- a pumpkin custard, I
> guess. Must it be baked? In a pie plate? If not baked, what?
> Anything I should be alert about or not do?
>
> I await (most of) your counsel and advise.
> --
> http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Browned Pumpkin

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 2
Cuisine:
Main Ingredient:
Categories: Pies

-= Ingredients =-
1 small Pumpkin

-= Instructions =-
Bake the pumpkin till tender in the oven at 350. butter a heavy cast iron
frying pan and cook the pumpkin over medium heat, stirring and turning so
all parts dry properly. Keep this up til it is reduced and slightly
browned. I start with 2 cups and end up with 1 1/2 cups of wonderful nutty
browned pumpkin. If recipe calls for a little more than 1 1/2 cups just
start with 1/2 cup more than called for and follow the above instructions.

** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping. **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Pumpkin Pudding

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 1
Cuisine:
Main Ingredient:

-= Ingredients =-
0 -MM ; BY HELEN PEAGRAM-
1/2 cup Browned ; strained pumpkin
2 tablespoons All purpose flour
1 cup Brown sugar
2 cups Milk
1 cup Carnation 2% canned milk
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon Ginger
1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
2 Eggs ; beaten
0

-= Instructions =-
This recipe calls for browned pumpkin which is accomplished by buttering a
heavy cast iron frying pan and cooking the 2 cups pumpkin over medium heat,
stirring and turning soall parts dry properly. Keep this up til it is
reduced to 1 1/2 cups. It wi Place the browned pumpkin in a bowl,
sprinkle with flour and brown sugar and stir til thoroughly mixed. Add
spices and eggs and beat well. Scald milk. Add the canned milk to scalded
milk. Add milks to pumpkin mixture Beat together til well mix Place
mixture in a greased casserole and place it in a larger casserole with hot
water that comes half way up the outside of inner casserole. Place in a 325
F oven and oven poach til a knife comes out clean when tested. Serve hot or
cold. This is actually pumpkin pie filling, but I prefer it without the
pastry and it is better for me. No great amount of fat in this one.Per
Serving (excluding unknown items): 872 Calories; 17g Fat (17.0% calories
from fat); 16g Protein; 170g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 66mg
Cholesterol; 298mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 2 Non-Fat Milk; 3
Fat; 9 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping. **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

Bob Terwilliger

Wayne replied:

>> I want to make a pumpkin pie without the crust -- a pumpkin custard, I
>> guess. Must it be baked? In a pie plate? If not baked, what?
>> Anything I should be alert about or not do?

> IMHO, pumpkin would have a very "raw" (yes I know it's already cooked)
> taste if the custard or pudding id not baked.

Got me curious now...when I get around to replacing my microwave oven, I
might try microwaving a pumpkin custard. The microwave does a good job on
puddings, so it MIGHT be good at making custard.

Bob

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 20 Oct 2005 06:24:03p, Bob Terwilliger wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne replied:
>
>>> I want to make a pumpkin pie without the crust -- a pumpkin custard, I
>>> guess. Must it be baked? In a pie plate? If not baked, what?
>>> Anything I should be alert about or not do?

>> IMHO, pumpkin would have a very "raw" (yes I know it's already cooked)
>> taste if the custard or pudding id not baked.

> Got me curious now...when I get around to replacing my microwave oven, I
> might try microwaving a pumpkin custard. The microwave does a good job
> on puddings, so it MIGHT be good at making custard.
>
> Bob

It should work, especially on a lower setting. I occasionally make a
cheesecake in the m/w with good results.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey
Melba's Jammin'

In article <8iW5f.446923$x96.356186@attbi_s72>,
"Karen" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> >I want to make a pumpkin pie without the crust -- a pumpkin custard, I
> > guess. Must it be baked? In a pie plate? If not baked, what?
> > Anything I should be alert about or not do?
> >
> > I await (most of) your counsel and advise.
> > --
> > http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.

> I'm a diabetic, and I've made many pumpkin pies without the
> carbohydrate-laden crust. I just spritz a pie pan with nonstick spray, and
> bake as the recipe directs. Cool and slice as you would a regular pie - the
> slices will lift easily from the pie pan.
>
> This method also works beautifully for crustless quiche dishes, too.
>
> Karen

Thanks, Karen.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > I want to make a pumpkin pie without the crust -- a pumpkin custard, I
> > guess. Must it be baked? In a pie plate? If not baked, what?
> > Anything I should be alert about or not do?

> A pumpkin pie is basically pumpkin custard baked in a pie shell, and I can't
> see any reason that it could not be done in a greased baking dish. You may
> want to cut down on the pumpkin to give it a more custard like texture.

I think I'll stick with the usual amount in the recipe, Dave. I'm less
interested in the 'custardness' of it than in not putting it in a pie
shell. I found a recipe that involves no yolks and skim milk. Not
sure I'm going there.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Wayne replied:
>
> >> I want to make a pumpkin pie without the crust -- a pumpkin custard, I
> >> guess. Must it be baked? In a pie plate? If not baked, what?
> >> Anything I should be alert about or not do?

> > IMHO, pumpkin would have a very "raw" (yes I know it's already cooked)
> > taste if the custard or pudding id not baked.

> Got me curious now...when I get around to replacing my microwave oven, I
> might try microwaving a pumpkin custard. The microwave does a good job on
> puddings, so it MIGHT be good at making custard.
>
> Bob

Yeah, I thought of that, too. Will have to research. Thanks, Bob.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.
Puester

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> I want to make a pumpkin pie without the crust -- a pumpkin custard, I
> guess. Must it be baked? In a pie plate? If not baked, what?
> Anything I should be alert about or not do?
>
> I await (most of) your counsel and advise.

My mom used to make pumpkin or grapenut custard in
a deep pottery casserole, like a slightly flared
souffle dish. She would set it in a larger pan
full of hot water in the oven (bain marie).

I don't remember her ever having a failure.

gloria p
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
"Debbie" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> |I want to make a pumpkin pie without the crust -- a pumpkin custard, I
> | guess. Must it be baked? In a pie plate? If not baked, what?
> | Anything I should be alert about or not do?
> |

> I just put it in a casserole and bake. Seems to me I have this memroy of
> greasing the pan the last time I made it.. but I'm not exactly sure why. :-)
>
> Debbie

Thanks, Debbie.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.
Dimitri

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>I want to make a pumpkin pie without the crust -- a pumpkin custard, I
> guess. Must it be baked? In a pie plate? If not baked, what?
> Anything I should be alert about or not do?
>
> I await (most of) your counsel and advise.
> --
> http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.

Here you go:

Dimitri

http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipe...aspx?ID=134595

Individual Pumpkin Custards
Estimated Times:
Preparation - 10 min | Cooking - 45 min | Cooling Time - 2 hrs cooling |
Yields - 8

Without a crust, these single-serve treats are delightfully easy to make - and
lower in calories too! In addition, the filling can be made and frozen for up to
one month.

Ingredients:
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 large eggs
1 can (15 oz.) LIBBY'S 100% Pure Pumpkin
1 can (12 fl. oz.) CARNATION Evaporated Fat Free Milk

Directions:
PREHEAT oven to 300° F.

MIX sugar, cinnamon, ginger, salt and cloves in small bowl. Beat eggs in large
bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated
milk. If desired, cover and freeze filling for up to one month. When ready to
bake, simply defrost, mix well and proceed with recipe.

POUR into eight 6-ounce ramekins or custard cups. Place ramekins on baking
sheet.

BAKE for 45 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted in custard halfway between
center and edge of ramekin comes out almost clean. Cool on wire rack for 2
hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate. Top with dollop of light whiped cream,
if desired.

The Joneses

Dimitri wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> >I want to make a pumpkin pie without the crust -- a pumpkin custard, I
> > guess. Must it be baked? In a pie plate? If not baked, what?
> > Anything I should be alert about or not do?
> >
> > I await (most of) your counsel and advise.
> > --
> > http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.

> Here you go:
>
> Dimitri
>
> http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipe...aspx?ID=134595
>
> Individual Pumpkin Custards
> Estimated Times:
> Preparation - 10 min | Cooking - 45 min | Cooling Time - 2 hrs cooling |
> Yields - 8
>
> Without a crust, these single-serve treats are delightfully easy to make - and
> lower in calories too! In addition, the filling can be made and frozen for up to
> one month.
>
> Ingredients:
> 3/4 cup granulated sugar
> 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
> 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
> 2 large eggs
> 1 can (15 oz.) LIBBY'S 100% Pure Pumpkin
> 1 can (12 fl. oz.) CARNATION Evaporated Fat Free Milk
>
> Directions:
> PREHEAT oven to 300° F.
>
> MIX sugar, cinnamon, ginger, salt and cloves in small bowl. Beat eggs in large
> bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated
> milk. If desired, cover and freeze filling for up to one month. When ready to
> bake, simply defrost, mix well and proceed with recipe.
>
> POUR into eight 6-ounce ramekins or custard cups. Place ramekins on baking
> sheet.
>
> BAKE for 45 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted in custard halfway between
> center and edge of ramekin comes out almost clean. Cool on wire rack for 2
> hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate. Top with dollop of light whiped cream,
> if desired.

Replace the regular evap milk with 2% or skim evaporated milk; replace half the
sugar with Splenda. Gets them nasty old calories down even further, with not too
much cost of taste.
Sigh.
Edrena

Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 21 Oct 2005 11:36:17a, The Joneses wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Dimitri wrote:
>
>> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in
>> message ...
>> >I want to make a pumpkin pie without the crust -- a pumpkin custard, I
>> > guess. Must it be baked? In a pie plate? If not baked, what?
>> > Anything I should be alert about or not do?
>> >
>> > I await (most of) your counsel and advise.
>> > --
>> > http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from
>> > Niece Jo.

>> Here you go:
>>
>> Dimitri
>>
>> http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipe...aspx?ID=134595
>>
>> Individual Pumpkin Custards
>> Estimated Times:
>> Preparation - 10 min | Cooking - 45 min | Cooling Time - 2 hrs cooling
>> | Yields - 8
>>
>> Without a crust, these single-serve treats are delightfully easy to
>> make - and lower in calories too! In addition, the filling can be made
>> and frozen for up to one month.
>>
>> Ingredients:
>> 3/4 cup granulated sugar
>> 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
>> 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
>> 1/2 teaspoon salt
>> 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
>> 2 large eggs
>> 1 can (15 oz.) LIBBY'S 100% Pure Pumpkin
>> 1 can (12 fl. oz.) CARNATION Evaporated Fat Free Milk
>>
>> Directions:
>> PREHEAT oven to 300° F.
>>
>> MIX sugar, cinnamon, ginger, salt and cloves in small bowl. Beat eggs
>> in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture. Gradually stir
>> in evaporated milk. If desired, cover and freeze filling for up to one
>> month. When ready to bake, simply defrost, mix well and proceed with
>> recipe.
>>
>> POUR into eight 6-ounce ramekins or custard cups. Place ramekins on
>> baking sheet.
>>
>> BAKE for 45 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted in custard halfway
>> between center and edge of ramekin comes out almost clean. Cool on wire
>> rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate. Top with dollop of
>> light whiped cream, if desired.

> Replace the regular evap milk with 2% or skim evaporated milk; replace
> half the sugar with Splenda. Gets them nasty old calories down even
> further, with not too much cost of taste.
> Sigh.
> Edrena

This is the pumpkin pie I've been making the last few years. It's a
fairly healthy version. I just won't go without a crust since that's my
favorite part of a pie.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Low-cholesterol Pumpkin Pie With Oil Pastry

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Desserts Pies

-----PIE FILLING-----
1 lb Can (1-3/4 cups) pumpkin
1 c Egg substitute
3/4 c Splenda sugar substitute
1/2 ts Salt
3 ts Ground cinnamon
1 1/4 ts Ground ginger
1/2 ts Ground nutmeg
1/2 ts Ground allspice
1/2 ts Ground mace
1/4 ts Ground cloves
1 Can evaporated skim milk
(12 ounces)
1 Deep 9-inch oil-pastry shell
-----OIL PASTRY-----
1 1/3 c All-purpose flour
1/2 ts Salt
1/3 c Canola oil
3 tb Water

FOR FILLING:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place pumpkin in large mixing bowl. Blend
in
egg substitute, Splenda, salt, and spices; stir in evaporated milk.
Pour
into
unbaked pie shell. Bake 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 degrees.
Bake
about 45 minutes longer, until metal knife inserted near center comes
out
clean.

FOR PASTRY:

Mix flour and salt together. After measuring oil in a measuring cup,
add
water to the same cup but don't stir. Add liquid all at once to flour
mixture. Stir lightly with fork until well-mixed. Press dough into
smooth
ball. Place between two 12-inch squares of waxed paper. Roll out
gently
with rolling pin until pastry circle reaches edges of paper. Peel off
top
sheet of paper. Lift bottom sheet of paper and pastry by opposite
corners.
Flip over onto 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate and remove
waxed paper. Trim pastry and make a high fluted edge. Makes 1
nine-inch
pastry shell.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey
Karen

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message

> I am not diabetic, so I have to ask about this carb thing and diabetes.
> How do
> the carbs in the crust compare with all the sugar in the pie? There is a
> cup of
> brown sugar in a pumpkin pie.

I make my pumpkin pie with Splenda, so my pumpkin custard comes out pretty
low-carb/low-calorie. If I had a recipe that called for brown sugar, I'd
probably use 1/4 cup to get some of the flavor, use Splenda for the rest of
the amount called for, and just take a smaller portion. It's OK for
diabetics to have sugar as long as those carbs are factored into one's meal
plan. According to caloriecount.com, pumpkin custard pie is 42.2g of carb
per serving (I'm assuming that's 1/8 of a pie). For myself, I'd cut that in
half for a serving of 21g of carb. My meal plan allows for 30g of carb per
meal, so as long as I was very careful with the rest of my portions, I could
have a small piece of *real* pumpkin pie for dessert.

Also, the fat and fiber in food will temper the rise in blood sugar.
Pumpkin is high in fiber, plus the pie is normally made with milk.
Presuming the milk isn't fat-free, a small slice of pumpkin pie made with
sugar might not have much of an effect on my blood glucose (I'm a
non-insulin-dependent Type 2). Now if I could just finagle it so that the
calories didn't affect my weight, I'd have it made! LOL

Karen

Dave Smith

Karen wrote:

> I make my pumpkin pie with Splenda, so my pumpkin custard comes out pretty
> low-carb/low-calorie. If I had a recipe that called for brown sugar, I'd
> probably use 1/4 cup to get some of the flavor, use Splenda for the rest of
> the amount called for, and just take a smaller portion. It's OK for
> diabetics to have sugar as long as those carbs are factored into one's meal
> plan. According to caloriecount.com, pumpkin custard pie is 42.2g of carb
> per serving (I'm assuming that's 1/8 of a pie). For myself, I'd cut that in
> half for a serving of 21g of carb. My meal plan allows for 30g of carb per
> meal, so as long as I was very careful with the rest of my portions, I could
> have a small piece of *real* pumpkin pie for dessert.
>
> Also, the fat and fiber in food will temper the rise in blood sugar.
> Pumpkin is high in fiber, plus the pie is normally made with milk.
> Presuming the milk isn't fat-free, a small slice of pumpkin pie made with
> sugar might not have much of an effect on my blood glucose (I'm a
> non-insulin-dependent Type 2). Now if I could just finagle it so that the
> calories didn't affect my weight, I'd have it made! LOL

Thanks. Good to know. My mother has diabetes and uses Splenda for a lot of her
baking. I have been surprised at how nicely some things turn out with it. I
have been reading news articles lately that talk about the importance of
physical activity as a preventative measure.

pablo

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>I want to make a pumpkin pie without the crust -- a pumpkin custard, I
> guess. Must it be baked? In a pie plate? If not baked, what?
> Anything I should be alert about or not do?
>
> I await (most of) your counsel and advise.
> --

Hey Barb,

The following trick doesn't sound very good but my coworker swears by it.
She loves any kind of gimmick involving box mixes, etc.

1 small can pumpkin
1 cup skim milk
1 box sugar free / fat free vanilla or B-scotch instant pudding
Spice as you like.

Mix well by hand. Spoon into custard cups. Refrigerate. WW 1 pt. per
serving (serves 12) (Lilliputians, I think.)

For the record -- I just make the pumpkin pie filling according to the can
and bake it in ramekins.

Tschuss,
Pablo

maxine in ri

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 20:47:27 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> connected the dots and wrote:

~In article >,
~ Dave Smith > wrote:
~
~> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
~>
[...]

Hehe. Sounds like you found one of the ones I've given my husband
over the years.

maxine in ri
maxine in ri

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 16:40:21 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> connected the dots and wrote:

~I want to make a pumpkin pie without the crust -- a pumpkin custard,
~guess. Must it be baked? In a pie plate? If not baked, what?
~Anything I should be alert about or not do?
~
~I await (most of) your counsel and advise.

When DH makes his pies for Turkey day, there's usually enough filling
left over for several pyrex custard cups. I just pop all of it in the
oven at the same time, and keep checking until they're done.

mmmm

maxine in ri
BOB

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> I want to make a pumpkin pie without the crust -- a pumpkin custard,
> guess. Must it be baked? In a pie plate? If not baked, what?
> Anything I should be alert about or not do?
>
> I await (most of) your counsel and advise.
> --
> http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from
> Niece Jo.

This isn't what you asked for, but it's so good that I make several
every year when fresh pumpkins are available.
It's a custard baked inside a pumpkin, and depending on whether or not
you believe the story, was the "original" pumkin pie. I found the
recipe in the book "The Frugal Gourmet Cooks American" by Jeff Smith.

http://www.kamado.com/cgi-bin/discus...7123#POST17123

Yes, you can cook it in an oven if that's what you need to do '-)

BOB
Raw Meat Should NOT Have An Ingredients List

TammyM

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 16:40:21 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>I want to make a pumpkin pie without the crust -- a pumpkin custard, I
>guess. Must it be baked? In a pie plate? If not baked, what?
>Anything I should be alert about or not do?
>
>I await (most of) your counsel and advise.
>--
>http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.

Ramekins.

TammyM
Janet Bostwick

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>I want to make a pumpkin pie without the crust -- a pumpkin custard, I
> guess. Must it be baked? In a pie plate? If not baked, what?
> Anything I should be alert about or not do?
>
> I await (most of) your counsel and advise.
> --
> http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.

Hi Barb,

I made this recipe yesterday. I had a larger can of pumpkin (3 cups
pumpkin) so I did a recipe and a half and poured the mixture into 2 9x5
non-stick bread pans --the mixture when baked was about 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 inches
deep. I like this recipe because it uses regular milk and I don't need to
plan ahead by having condensed milk on hand. I think you'd probably like
the Libby's one better as this one tends to have a less rich and smooth
texture in the mouth.

I'll give you the recipe and directions just so you can think it over. I
followed the directions for timing exactly with a timer and didn't bother
with a knife or jiggle test.

Pumpkin Pie (custard)

2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 #303 can pumpkin (2 cups)
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1 2/3 cups milk

Mix ingredients in order shown. Pour into a 9 inch unbaked pie shell. Bake
in hot oven (425F) for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 375F and continue
baking for 45 minutes or until a sharp knife inserted in the center comes
out clean.

Janet