jw 1111

Default what to mix with spinach

hi, i eat a lot of frozen spinach. i do like it, but also consume a lot for
its healthy properties. the trouble is that it does have rather an
overwhelming taste when mixed with other foods. what foods and flavours
would go well with it to mix in with the spinach and use it as a side dish,
please?

Dee Randall

"jw 1111" > wrote in message
> hi, i eat a lot of frozen spinach. i do like it, but also consume a lot
> for its healthy properties. the trouble is that it does have rather an
> overwhelming taste when mixed with other foods. what foods and flavours
> would go well with it to mix in with the spinach and use it as a side
> dish, please?

If you like steamed/braised cabbage, a little spinach added makes for a nice
mixed-colored dish.
Dee Dee

Paul

jw 1111 wrote:
> hi, i eat a lot of frozen spinach. i do like it, but also consume a lot for
> its healthy properties. the trouble is that it does have rather an
> overwhelming taste when mixed with other foods. what foods and flavours
> would go well with it to mix in with the spinach and use it as a side dish,
> please?

Works well in Indian food. Saag Aloo (Indian Spinach & potatoes) is
excelent.

--
Paul
Dean G.

Paul wrote:
> jw 1111 wrote:
> > hi, i eat a lot of frozen spinach. i do like it, but also consume a lot for
> > its healthy properties. the trouble is that it does have rather an
> > overwhelming taste when mixed with other foods. what foods and flavours
> > would go well with it to mix in with the spinach and use it as a side dish,
> > please?

> Works well in Indian food. Saag Aloo (Indian Spinach & potatoes) is
> excelent.

I have to agree, but would like to add Saag Choley, spinach with
garbanzo beans, and Saag Paneer, spinach with cheese. Now if I could
only find a good source of methi leaves...

Dean G.

Dean G.

Spinach Walnut Feta (SWF) pesto :
1 bunch of spinach, cleaned and stemmed
large handful of walnuts, toasted and broken (not completey crushed)
handful of fresh basil, chopped
juice of 1/2 a lemon
4 or 5 oz feta chesse
5 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed
enough EVOO to make a paste

Blend or food process all of the above, adding the walnuts at the end.
Serve with chicken, fish, or pasta. I like to put it on chicken stuffed
with some capacola and more feta. I then layer the pesto on bottom,
then chicken, then pesto, a layer of capacola, then more pesto. Bake
covered until done, then uncover and broil until browned a bit.

Along a silimar line, I like to make a pasta dish with spinach, sun
dried tomatoes, toasted pine nuts, garlic, and some kind of cheese
(feta works fine, but so do many others.)

Another simple thing is to add articokes and cheese to spinach, and
serve as a dip. Cream cheese works fine for this, but adding a bit of
something sharper helps.

Fresh spinach is good for salad.

Dean G.

Dimitri

"jw 1111" > wrote in message
> hi, i eat a lot of frozen spinach. i do like it, but also consume a lot for
> its healthy properties. the trouble is that it does have rather an
> overwhelming taste when mixed with other foods. what foods and flavours would
> go well with it to mix in with the spinach and use it as a side dish, please?

One of the first things I would try or recommend is:

Make a béchamel
Add some nutmeg (careful just a little)
Add the frozen spinach cooked and drained first.

From there on begin adding - water chestnuts for crunch, parmesan cheese,
chopped artichoke hearts, and just about anything else you can think of minced
onion, pimento green (bell) pepper

Other method

Mince or smash some garlic (lots if you like)
Sauté in olive oil.
Add the spinach
Add lemon and/or balsamic vinegar
S & P.

Dimitri

Paul

Dean G. wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>
>>jw 1111 wrote:
>>
>>>hi, i eat a lot of frozen spinach. i do like it, but also consume a lot for
>>>its healthy properties. the trouble is that it does have rather an
>>>overwhelming taste when mixed with other foods. what foods and flavours
>>>would go well with it to mix in with the spinach and use it as a side dish,
>>>please?

>>Works well in Indian food. Saag Aloo (Indian Spinach & potatoes) is
>>excelent.

> I have to agree, but would like to add Saag Choley, spinach with
> garbanzo beans, and Saag Paneer, spinach with cheese. Now if I could
> only find a good source of methi leaves...

Apparently methi (fenugreek) is easy to grow. I planted some seeds once
which sprouted but I think the cold got to them (it's starting to get
chilly here).
Dee Randall

"Dean G." > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Paul wrote:
>> jw 1111 wrote:
>> > hi, i eat a lot of frozen spinach. i do like it, but also consume a lot
>> > for
>> > its healthy properties. the trouble is that it does have rather an
>> > overwhelming taste when mixed with other foods. what foods and flavours
>> > would go well with it to mix in with the spinach and use it as a side
>> > dish,
>> > please?

>> Works well in Indian food. Saag Aloo (Indian Spinach & potatoes) is
>> excelent.
>>

> I have to agree, but would like to add Saag Choley, spinach with
> garbanzo beans, and Saag Paneer, spinach with cheese. Now if I could
> only find a good source of methi leaves...
>
> Dean G.

Substitute Celery leaves?

"fenugreek leaves = holba = methi leaves Pronunciation: FEHN-yoo-greek
Notes: This mildly bitter herb is believed to have medicinal properties.
Dried leaves, either whole or ground, are called kasuri methi, and they're a
good substitute for fresh. Look for fresh or dried leaves in Indian
markets. Substitutes: celery leaves"

Yesterday I bought a package of curry leaves. I'm debating how to preserve
them for future use -- foodsaver? then freeze? I don't know what to do. I
had just frozen them, as they were, before -- totally ususable.
Dee Dee

Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
"jw 1111" > wrote:

> hi, i eat a lot of frozen spinach. i do like it, but also consume a lot for
> its healthy properties. the trouble is that it does have rather an
> overwhelming taste when mixed with other foods. what foods and flavours
> would go well with it to mix in with the spinach and use it as a side dish,
> please?

This is a fabulous side that I've posted here befo
{ Exported from MasterCook Mac }

Gateau de Crepes aux Epinards

Recipe By: posted again by Barb Schaller to r.f.cooking, 10-20-05
Serving Size: 8
Preparation Time: 1:00
Categories: Entrees

Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
Crepes:
2 eggs
2 egg yolks
1 1/4 cups milk
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons clarified butter
Filling:
2 pkg. frozen chopped spinach (10 oz. each)
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon flour
3 tablespoons half and half
1 teaspoon sugar
dash nutmeg
Salt and pepper to taste
To Finish:
1 cup Mornay sauce
1/4 cup grated Swiss cheese

Prepare crepes: Beat eggs and egg yolks with milk, using a whisk or
fork. Add flour and salt, beat until smooth. Batter should be the
consistency of heavy cream. Add butter; let stand 30 minutes. Using
about 1/4 cup batter, bake crepes (thin pancakes) in a hot heavy skillet
or a crepe pan, turning once. Set aside or freeze for future use.
Makes about 15 six-inch crepes. To prepare filling: cook the spinach
according to package directions and drain thoroughly. Melt butter, add
flour and stir. Add half and half, cook and stir until smooth
(essentially, a thick white sauce). Stir in well-drained spinach,
sugar, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Stack the crepes in a buttered pie
plate, spreading about 1/3 cup of spinach mixture between each (will use
about 5-7 crepes). Cover with Mornay sauce (a glorified white
sauce--add some grated cheese to 1 cup medium white sauce) and sprinkle
with grated Swiss cheese. Bake at 400° for about 10-15 minutes. Makes
6-8 servings. (More like 4-6, you ask me.)

‹‹‹‹‹
Notes: Recipe from a neighbor in the late Œ70s.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.
Ian S. Salisbury

"jw 1111" > wrote in message
> hi, i eat a lot of frozen spinach. i do like it, but also consume a lot
> for its healthy properties. the trouble is that it does have rather an
> overwhelming taste when mixed with other foods. what foods and flavours
> would go well with it to mix in with the spinach and use it as a side
> dish, please?

One of my favorite combos is spinach and peperoni.
I'll chop up a stick of peperoni into bite sized pieces and throw it all in
a fry pan with a cover.

Takes about 5min

Arri London

jw 1111 wrote:

> hi, i eat a lot of frozen spinach. i do like it, but also consume a lot for
> its healthy properties. the trouble is that it does have rather an
> overwhelming taste when mixed with other foods. what foods and flavours
> would go well with it to mix in with the spinach and use it as a side dish,
> please?

Saute minced onion and some garlic in olive oil. Toss in the frozen
spinach and cook until warmed through. Season with salt, pepper and
nutmeg.

Put thawed spinach in a greased baking dish and bake (around 350 F)
until hot. Crack a couple of eggs on top and cook until eggs are done.

Warm the spinach up and dress with soy sauce, sesame oil and some
toasted sesame seeds. Can add garlic and chiles.

Cook rice noodles and dried shiitake mushrooms. Mix with spinach and
warm up.
Bob Terwilliger

Arri wrote:

> Warm the spinach up and dress with soy sauce, sesame oil and some
> toasted sesame seeds. Can add garlic and chiles.

This is also good cold. (Google for oshitashi.) I often order it in sushi
restaurants.

Bob

We mix garlic and parmesion cheese in creamed spinach..
Also had the opportunity to have some fried spinach.. delicious..

--

Dee Randall wrote:
> "jw 1111" > wrote in message
>> hi, i eat a lot of frozen spinach. i do like it, but also consume a
>> lot for its healthy properties. the trouble is that it does have
>> rather an overwhelming taste when mixed with other foods. what foods
>> and flavours would go well with it to mix in with the spinach and
>> use it as a side dish, please?

> If you like steamed/braised cabbage, a little spinach added makes for
> a nice mixed-colored dish.
> Dee Dee

jmcquown

jw 1111 wrote:
> hi, i eat a lot of frozen spinach. i do like it, but also consume a
> lot for its healthy properties. the trouble is that it does have
> rather an overwhelming taste when mixed with other foods. what foods
> and flavours would go well with it to mix in with the spinach and use
> it as a side dish, please?

Not a side dish but how about spinach quiche? Buy a prepared pie crust
(deep dish) unless you're good at pie crust (I'm not). Thaw and drain the
spinach well. Beat 4 eggs (or egg substitute) with a little milk, couple of
Tbs., and blend in the spinach. Season with salt & pepper and a little
nutmeg. Pour the mixture into the pie crust and bake about 35 minutes at
350F or until the mixture is set.

Jill

Bob Terwilliger

Jill wrote:

> Not a side dish but how about spinach quiche? Buy a prepared pie crust
> (deep dish) unless you're good at pie crust (I'm not). Thaw and drain the
> spinach well. Beat 4 eggs (or egg substitute) with a little milk, couple
> of Tbs., and blend in the spinach. Season with salt & pepper and a little
> nutmeg. Pour the mixture into the pie crust and bake about 35 minutes at
> 350F or until the mixture is set.

Needs some kind of cheese. Ricotta would be good. So would grated Swiss.
Maybe Parmesan on the top.

Bob

jmcquown

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Jill wrote:
>
>> Not a side dish but how about spinach quiche? Buy a prepared pie
>> crust (deep dish) unless you're good at pie crust (I'm not). Thaw
>> and drain the spinach well. Beat 4 eggs (or egg substitute) with a
>> little milk, couple of Tbs., and blend in the spinach. Season with
>> salt & pepper and a little nutmeg. Pour the mixture into the pie
>> crust and bake about 35 minutes at 350F or until the mixture is set.

> Needs some kind of cheese. Ricotta would be good. So would grated
> Swiss. Maybe Parmesan on the top.
>
> Bob

Dang, I forgot to mention cheese! Definitely ricotta (or - blasphemy - even
cottage!) cheese.

Jill

Sheldon

jmcquown wrote:
> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> > Jill wrote:
> >
> >> Not a side dish but how about spinach quiche? Buy a prepared pie
> >> crust (deep dish) unless you're good at pie crust (I'm not). Thaw
> >> and drain the spinach well. Beat 4 eggs (or egg substitute) with a
> >> little milk, couple of Tbs., and blend in the spinach. Season with
> >> salt & pepper and a little nutmeg. Pour the mixture into the pie
> >> crust and bake about 35 minutes at 350F or until the mixture is set.

> > Needs some kind of cheese. Ricotta would be good. So would grated
> > Swiss. Maybe Parmesan on the top.
> >
> > Bob

> Dang, I forgot to mention cheese!

I think spinach blintzes are much better than quiche. Or do a
spanakopita... I really detest quiche.

One of my favorite quickies for spinach is a simple omelet, perhaps
with some sauted onion and potato added.

This is easy too.

SEPHARDIC SPINACH PATTIES (KEFTES DE ESPINACA)
Yield: 16 servings

3 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
1 large onion - chopped
2 cloves minced garlic - up to 3
2 pounds chopped fresh spinach or frozen spinach - thawed and squeezed
1 cup breadcrumbs or matzo meal
4 large eggs - lightly beaten
Salt and pepper
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg or 1/2 tsp cayenne - optional
Vegetable oil for frying
1 lemon - cut in wedges
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and
saute until soft and translucent, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and
add spinach, breadcrumbs, eggs, salt and pepper to taste and nutmeg, if
using. Stir, then remove to a mixing bowl.

Heat about 1/4- inch oil in a large skillet. Shape spinach mixture into
3-inch patties about 1 inch wide and 1/2 inch thick. In batches, fry
patties, turning once, until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper
towels. Serve with lemon wedges. Yields 16 patties.

Note: Originally cultivated in Persia in the 6th century, spinach was
first introduced to Europe by way of the Moors about 1000 years ago. It
quickly became a Sephardic favourite.
---

If you feel a bit more energetic try this.

Tuscan Vegetable Soup with Eggs
(Acquacotta--or "cooked water")

This fine Tuscan soup was a special request of the Walkers in
Sevierville, Tennessee. Definitely not for spinach haters. I did not
think I was going to like it at all--but, in fact, it's wonderful.
Total comfort food and very good for you. It came from the practice of
shepherds and charcoal burners in the Maremma part of Tuscany: they'd
toss whatever was at hand into pots of water they had simmering and end
up with an evening meal. Serve hot as a light meal to 6 people.

4 Tablespoons olive oil
4 stalks celery, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
1 jalapeno pepper or other small chili pepper, minced
1 pound spinach, torn into big pieces, with thick stems discarded
1 10-ounce can tomatoes, seeds squeezed out
6 cups water
salt and pepper
2 eggs (for thickening)
2 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
6 eggs (for poaching)
Undergarnish: 6 thick slices of coarse, dense bread, grilled or broiled

Heat the oil in a Dutch oven (you want a wide area for poaching the
eggs at the end), then saute the celery, onion, and chili pepper over
low heat until the onion is transparent. Stir in the spinach until it
has wilted and glazed with the other vegetables. Stir in the tomatoes
and let them cook over low heat for about 30 minutes, stirring
occasionally.

Pour in 6 cups of water and bring to a boil--then reduce heat and let
simmer for about an hour.

When ready to serve, beat the 2 eggs and the Parmesan cheese together,
then stir into the soup. Let the soup return to a boil over medium
heat. Break each of the 6 eggs into the soup on spots that are exactly
where you see the soup bubbling. Simmer gently for about 3 minutes, so
that the eggs are all nicely poached.

To serve, place a piece of grilled bread in each bowl. Top each one
with one of the poached eggs. Then ladle the soup on top. -SS-
---

Sheldon Spinach Calzone

OmManiPadmeOmelet

Does this work without the bread crumbs?

--
Om.

Nancy Young

"jmcquown" > wrote

> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>> Jill wrote:
>>
>>> Not a side dish but how about spinach quiche? Buy a prepared pie
>>> crust (deep dish) unless you're good at pie crust (I'm not). Thaw
>>> and drain the spinach well. Beat 4 eggs (or egg substitute) with a
>>> little milk, couple of Tbs., and blend in the spinach. Season with
>>> salt & pepper and a little nutmeg. Pour the mixture into the pie
>>> crust and bake about 35 minutes at 350F or until the mixture is set.

>> Needs some kind of cheese. Ricotta would be good. So would grated
>> Swiss. Maybe Parmesan on the top.
>>
>> Bob

> Dang, I forgot to mention cheese! Definitely ricotta (or - blasphemy -
> even
> cottage!) cheese.

I have forgotten the cheese more than once ... I then put the cheese on top
of the already poured quiches and gently push it down into the egg mixture.

Also, I add a number of slices of bacon, chopped and cooked, and maybe
a half pound of mushrooms, sliced. This makes two nice deep dish quiches.
I always manage to remember to add those along with the spinach like you're
supposed to. Mind block against swiss. Never considered ricotta, that's
good? Hmmm.

nancy

Sheldon

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> "Sheldon" wrote:
>
> Does this work without the bread crumbs?

I assume by "this" you mean the Spinach Patties... I suppose you can
try using more egg, it needs something to glue it together.

I'm not a fan of low-carb goofiness... I like spinach Toast-T-Tites...
and that's "Tites", not *Tits*... never tried spinach tits, but I
would. Will the real Green Goddess perk up!

> [...]
> > occasionally.
> >
> > Pour in 6 cups of water and bring to a boil--then reduce heat and let
> > simmer for about an hour.
> >
> > When ready to serve, beat the 2 eggs and the Parmesan cheese together,
> > then stir into the soup. Let the soup return to a boil over medium
> > heat. Break each of the 6 eggs into the soup on spots that are exactly
> > where you see the soup bubbling. Simmer gently for about 3 minutes, so
> > that the eggs are all nicely poached.
> >
> > To serve, place a piece of grilled bread in each bowl. Top each one
> > with one of the poached eggs. Then ladle the soup on top. -SS-
> > ---
> >
> > Sheldon Spinach Calzone
> >

> --
> Om.
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack Nicholson

Victor Sack

jw 1111 > wrote:

> hi, i eat a lot of frozen spinach. i do like it, but also consume a lot for
> its healthy properties. the trouble is that it does have rather an
> overwhelming taste when mixed with other foods. what foods and flavours
> would go well with it to mix in with the spinach and use it as a side dish,
> please?

Here is a nice recipe from _The Lutèce Cookbook_ by André Soltner.

Victor

Flan d'Épinards à l'Ail
Spinach Custard with Garlic

Serves 4

salt
1/2 pound spinach, washed, stems removed
4 garlic cloves, unpeeled
1 scant teaspoon arrowroot
2 eggs
3 tablespoons heavy cream
pepper, fresh ground
1 pinch grated nutmeg
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus butter for
buttering the egg cocottes

1. Bring to the boil 1 quart of salted water (not in an aluminium pot).
Add the spinach, and cook vigorously over high heat for 4 minutes.

2. Plunge the spinach into iced water to cool it. Drain. Press the
excess water out of the spinach by forming it into a ball in your hands
and squeezing it.

3. In a saucepan, cook the unpeeled garlic cloves for 6 minutes in
boiling water. Drain and peel the cloves.

4. Preheat the oven to 375°F.

5. Put the spinach and garlic in a food processor. Process until they
are barely puréed - 1 to 2 minutes.

6. Add the arrowroot, eggs, cream, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and the 1
tablespoon of butter. Process until puréed - about 1 to 2 munutes.

7. Butter 4 earthenware egg cocottes, and fill them with the spinach
purée. Cover and seal each cocotte with aluminium foil. Set the
cocottes in a pan of hot water in the preheated oven. Cook for 12
minutes.

8. Invert the flans into paltes.

Note: This is a garnish principally for meat or fowl.
Arri London

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Arri wrote:
>
> > Warm the spinach up and dress with soy sauce, sesame oil and some
> > toasted sesame seeds. Can add garlic and chiles.

> This is also good cold. (Google for oshitashi.) I often order it in sushi
> restaurants.
>
> Bob

LOL didn't know it had a name. We've always eaten this at home and none
of us are Asian.
Pandora

> Not a side dish but how about spinach quiche? Buy a prepared pie crust
> (deep dish) unless you're good at pie crust (I'm not). Thaw and drain the
> spinach well. Beat 4 eggs (or egg substitute) with a little milk, couple
> of
> Tbs., and blend in the spinach. Season with salt & pepper and a little
> nutmeg. Pour the mixture into the pie crust and bake about 35 minutes at
> 350F or until the mixture is set.
>
> Jill

What is a deep dish?
Thank you
Pandora

Bob Terwilliger

Pandora asked:

>> Buy a prepared pie crust (deep dish)

> What is a deep dish?

In American cooking, there are two general sizes of pies. A "deep-dish" pie
is baked in a pan which has steeper sides and greater volume than a "normal"
pie. Frozen prepared pie crusts are available in either size.

Bob

Dee Randall

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> Pandora asked:
>
>>> Buy a prepared pie crust (deep dish)

>> What is a deep dish?

> In American cooking, there are two general sizes of pies. A "deep-dish"
> pie
> is baked in a pan which has steeper sides and greater volume than a
> "normal"
> pie. Frozen prepared pie crusts are available in either size.
>
> Bob

Also, Chicago pizza would be in a deep-dish (deep-pan) normally vs. pizza
not even in a short-sided pan.
Dee Dee

Evelyn

I saute' chopped frozen spinach in some olive oil and minced garlic and
season it with salt and pepper. Boil and drain 1 cup of Barillo Orzo and
combine with spinach.
Sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese or feta cheese. A good side dish
with fish or chicken.

Dee Randall

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
>I saute' chopped frozen spinach in some olive oil and minced garlic and
> season it with salt and pepper. Boil and drain 1 cup of Barillo Orzo and
> combine with spinach.
> Sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese or feta cheese. A good side dish
> with fish or chicken.

Thanks a lot, I have some fresh spinach I cooked and froze in food-saver
package which I will in this recipe. I would've never though of using orzo
in this way. I'm having chicken breast, so this will be a great side dish.
Dee Dee

Kate Connally

Dimitri wrote:

> "jw 1111" > wrote in message
> > hi, i eat a lot of frozen spinach. i do like it, but also consume a lot for
> > its healthy properties. the trouble is that it does have rather an
> > overwhelming taste when mixed with other foods. what foods and flavours would
> > go well with it to mix in with the spinach and use it as a side dish, please?

> One of the first things I would try or recommend is:
>
> Make a béchamel
> Add some nutmeg (careful just a little)
> Add the frozen spinach cooked and drained first.
>
> From there on begin adding - water chestnuts for crunch, parmesan cheese,
> chopped artichoke hearts, and just about anything else you can think of minced
> onion, pimento green (bell) pepper
>
> Other method
>
> Mince or smash some garlic (lots if you like)
> Sauté in olive oil.
> Add the spinach
> Add lemon and/or balsamic vinegar
> S & P.
>
> Dimitri

I have a medieval braised spinach recipe that sautees
the spinach in olive oil and adds some ground ginger
and allspice. It's quite tasty.
Kate

REC: Spinach Mike Muth General Cooking 15 01-04-2012 03:23 AM
Spinach and Ham Christopher M.[_3_] General Cooking 50 17-03-2012 06:23 PM
Spinach Pie Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 30-09-2005 12:36 PM
Tat soi and spinach James Silverton Asian Cooking 12 21-09-2005 09:01 AM