FoodBanter.com

-   -   Inflated Restaurant Food Names (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/72392-inflated-restaurant-food-names.html)

rob z 19-10-2005 01:50 PM

Inflated Restaurant Food Names

A friend that writes business books--the kind you see in the shops at
airports--asked me for some examples of the grandiose names certain
restaurants apply to rather mundane fare....say, salad-nicoise for tuna
fish....does anyone have a few favorites to pass on? thanks, rz

--

.....visit us at www.zLight.com

Dean G. 19-10-2005 03:10 PM

Inflated Restaurant Food Names

Salad-nicoise is more than just Tuna. Indeed, salad-nicoise may be the
shortest way to accurately describe what it is. Given that
salad-nicoise is a bad example, I'm sure there are plenty of good
examples. Check the menus of pretentious new restauraunts, many of
which are posted online.

Dean G.

Sheldon 19-10-2005 04:59 PM

Dean G. wrote:
> Salad-nicoise is more than just Tuna. Indeed, salad-nicoise may be the
> shortest way to accurately describe what it is. Given that
> salad-nicoise is a bad example, I'm sure there are plenty of good
> examples. Check the menus of pretentious new restauraunts, many of
> which are posted online.

"à la Niçoise" means nothing and everything, means whatever the
particular cook wants it to mean but only within certain very basic
parameters, same as Irish Stew means whatever the particular cook wants
that to mean but within certain very basic parameters also... all it
means is salad as prepared in Nice, which of course means as much as
Irish Stew represents all stew as prepared in Ireland, like there's
some sort of law declaring of what it must consist. The OP's query is
legitimate and your reply is total double talk gobbledygook, in fact a
non answer... and to tell folks to "look on line" is about as
newbie-ish as it gets... Usenet IS on line... and to admonish folks to
use an internet search engine without indicating an example of precise
search <terms> AND an example of the results of ones own search makes
one unfit for participation on Usenet... you, sir, with your attitude,
do not belong here.

niçoise, à la [nee-SWAHZ]
A French phrase that means "as prepared in Nice," typifying the cuisine
found in and around that French Riviera city. This cooking style is
identified with hot and cold dishes that include the integral
ingredients of tomatoes, black olives, garlic and anchovy. Salade
niçoise contains these basic ingredients plus French green beans,
onions, tuna, hard-cooked eggs and herbs.

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.
---

Sheldon

Dean G. 19-10-2005 07:02 PM

Sheldon wrote:
> Dean G. wrote:
> > Salad-nicoise is more than just Tuna. Indeed, salad-nicoise may be the
> > shortest way to accurately describe what it is. Given that
> > salad-nicoise is a bad example, I'm sure there are plenty of good
> > examples. Check the menus of pretentious new restauraunts, many of
> > which are posted online.

> "à la Niçoise" means nothing and everything, means whatever the
> particular cook wants it to mean but only within certain very basic
> parameters, same as Irish Stew means whatever the particular cook wants
> that to mean but within certain very basic parameters also... all it
> means is salad as prepared in Nice, which of course means as much as
> Irish Stew represents all stew as prepared in Ireland, like there's
> some sort of law declaring of what it must consist. The OP's query is
> legitimate and your reply is total double talk gobbledygook, in fact a
> non answer... and to tell folks to "look on line" is about as
> newbie-ish as it gets... Usenet IS on line... and to admonish folks to
> use an internet search engine without indicating an example of precise
> search <terms> AND an example of the results of ones own search makes
> one unfit for participation on Usenet... you, sir, with your attitude,
> do not belong here.
>
> niçoise, à la [nee-SWAHZ]
> A French phrase that means "as prepared in Nice," typifying the cuisine
> found in and around that French Riviera city. This cooking style is
> identified with hot and cold dishes that include the integral
> ingredients of tomatoes, black olives, garlic and anchovy. Salade
> niçoise contains these basic ingredients plus French green beans,
> onions, tuna, hard-cooked eggs and herbs.
>
> © Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
> LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

Your post, and inparticular your included definition, only confirms my
point, that salad nicoise is not some overinflated term. It accurately
describes a menu item within fairly well defined parameters. Most
people would know what to expect if they ordered it, but if the name
were an shorter, they would not.

Your example is similar. Instead of being overinflated, the term Irish
Stew is perhaps the opposite. If instead the restaraunt said "Stew of
Irish Beef, Slowly Simmered in a Guinness Beer Stock with Imported
Irish Fingerling Potatoes" then I would call it overinflated. Irish
Stew, by comparison, seems a little flat.

And speaking of attitudes, you, of all people, have little if any room
to talk.

Dean G.

Brian Huntley 19-10-2005 08:38 PM

rob z wrote:
> A friend that writes business books--the kind you see in the shops at
> airports--asked me for some examples of the grandiose names certain
> restaurants apply to rather mundane fare....say, salad-nicoise for tuna
> fish....does anyone have a few favorites to pass on? thanks, rz

There's always the infamous "Freedom Fries."

Dave Smith 19-10-2005 08:46 PM

"Dean G." wrote:

> Salad-nicoise is more than just Tuna. Indeed, salad-nicoise may be the
> shortest way to accurately describe what it is. Given that
> salad-nicoise is a bad example, I'm sure there are plenty of good
> examples. Check the menus of pretentious new restauraunts, many of
> which are posted online.

Salad Nicoise is a salad typical of Nice, France. It typically has tuna in
it.
If you are ever in France, Nice is a great place to see. It is on the
south east coast near Monaco.

Michel Boucher 19-10-2005 08:53 PM

Inflated Restaurant Food Names

Dave Smith > wrote in
:

>> Salad-nicoise is more than just Tuna. Indeed, salad-nicoise may
>> be the shortest way to accurately describe what it is. Given that
>> salad-nicoise is a bad example, I'm sure there are plenty of good
>> examples. Check the menus of pretentious new restauraunts, many
>> of which are posted online.

> Salad Nicoise is a salad typical of Nice, France. It typically has
> tuna in it.
> If you are ever in France, Nice is a great place to see. It is on
> the south east coast near Monaco.

Not far from Antibes and a green bean's throw from Juan-les-Pins.
Antibes is where Jacques Audiberti, the poet, is buried.

http://www.riviera.fr/vriveast.htm

Claude Nougaro sings of this in "Chanson pour le maçon".

--

"Compassion is the chief law of human existence."

Dostoevski, The Idiot

Ms. B. Haven 19-10-2005 09:01 PM

Inflated Restaurant Food Names

On 19 Oct 2005 12:38:44 -0700, "Brian Huntley"
> wrote:

>rob z wrote:
>> A friend that writes business books--the kind you see in the shops at
>> airports--asked me for some examples of the grandiose names certain
>> restaurants apply to rather mundane fare....say, salad-nicoise for tuna
>> fish....does anyone have a few favorites to pass on? thanks, rz

>There's always the infamous "Freedom Fries."

Hmmm, now that you mention fries - how about "frites"? Whenever I've
seen this on a menu it's turned out to be "French Fries + $3"

Brian Huntley 19-10-2005 09:18 PM

Inflated Restaurant Food Names

"Steak Frites" = +$4.

[email protected] 19-10-2005 09:23 PM

Dave Smith > wrote:
> "Dean G." wrote:

> > Salad-nicoise is more than just Tuna. Indeed, salad-nicoise may be the

> Salad Nicoise is a salad typical of Nice, France. It typically has tuna in
> it.
> If you are ever in France, Nice is a great place to see. It is on the
> south east coast near Monaco.

Tuna!? Every salad-nicoise I ever saw in France had sardines
in it, certainly not tuna.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Dave Smith 19-10-2005 09:45 PM

Brian Huntley wrote:

> rob z wrote:
> > A friend that writes business books--the kind you see in the shops at
> > airports--asked me for some examples of the grandiose names certain
> > restaurants apply to rather mundane fare....say, salad-nicoise for tuna
> > fish....does anyone have a few favorites to pass on? thanks, rz

> There's always the infamous "Freedom Fries."

He asked for the grandiose, not the idiotic. :-)

Dimitri 19-10-2005 10:01 PM

"rob z" > wrote in message
>A friend that writes business books--the kind you see in the shops at
> airports--asked me for some examples of the grandiose names certain
> restaurants apply to rather mundane fare....say, salad-nicoise for tuna
> fish....does anyone have a few favorites to pass on? thanks, rz

Either you or your "friend" have no bloody idea what you are talking about.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/life/...545387,00.html

Dimitri

aem 19-10-2005 10:45 PM

Dimitri wrote:

> http://observer.guardian.co.uk/life/...545387,00.html

This is an unusually well done piece. Does the Guardian print this
kind of thing frequently? -aem

Dimitri 19-10-2005 10:52 PM

Inflated Restaurant Food Names

"aem" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Dimitri wrote:
>>
>> http://observer.guardian.co.uk/life/...545387,00.html
>>

> This is an unusually well done piece. Does the Guardian print this
> kind of thing frequently? -aem

Yep, but you can only read it if you're a Brit or have permission from a Brit.

LOL

Dimitri

Charles Gifford 19-10-2005 11:01 PM

Inflated Restaurant Food Names

> wrote in message ...
> Dave Smith > wrote:
> > "Dean G." wrote:

> Tuna!? Every salad-nicoise I ever saw in France had sardines
> in it, certainly not tuna.
>
> Bill Ranck
> Blacksburg, Va.

Sardines?! You must be mad! ;-)

Charlie

Puester 19-10-2005 11:08 PM

Michel Boucher wrote:

> Not far from Antibes and a green bean's throw from Juan-les-Pins.
> Antibes is where Jacques Audiberti, the poet, is buried.

And a great many more Antibeans (Antibeaners?), I suspect....

;-)

gloria p

Charles Gifford 19-10-2005 11:17 PM

Inflated Restaurant Food Names

"Sheldon" > wrote ...
<snip>
"à la Niçoise" means nothing and everything, means whatever the
particular cook wants it to mean but only within certain very basic
parameters, same as Irish Stew means whatever the particular cook wants
that to mean but within certain very basic parameters also... all it
means is salad as prepared in Nice, which of course means as much as
Irish Stew represents all stew as prepared in Ireland, like there's
some sort of law declaring of what it must consist.

My dear Sheldon! Not so! Irish Stew is different than "an" Irish Stew. It is
not founded in any history except in a general way of course, but still
Irish Stew has come to be a dish in it's own right. Has been for many years.
A dish born of poverty and domination.

lamb or mutton, cheap cuts (particularly neck chops
water
salt and pepper
potatoes
onions
and, if one is very liberal as I am, carrots and sometimes turnips

This is "Irish Stew". Anything else would be AN Irish Stew.

With the respect I give all bakers (especially ones with your training to
whom I owe special gratitude),

Charlie

Sheldon 19-10-2005 11:22 PM

Dimitri wrote:
> "rob z" > wrote in message
> >A friend that writes business books--the kind you see in the shops at
> > airports--asked me for some examples of the grandiose names certain
> > restaurants apply to rather mundane fare....say, salad-nicoise for tuna
> > fish....does anyone have a few favorites to pass on? thanks, rz

> Either you or your "friend" have no bloody idea what you are talking about.
>
> http://observer.guardian.co.uk/life/...545387,00.html

Right on, and precisely the the premise I conveyed... in far fewer
woids of course.

Sheldon

Charles Gifford 19-10-2005 11:42 PM

Inflated Restaurant Food Names

"Dean G." > wrote in message
oups.com...

Dean:

which of course means as much as Irish Stew represents all stew as prepared
in Ireland, like there's some sort of law declaring of what it must consist.
Your example is similar. Instead of being overinflated, the term Irish
_______________________________

Charlie:

You did well until this point. It may well be just simple ignorance which
may not be entirely your fault. There is a particular dish called "Irish
Stew" that has a meaning and specific recipe.
______________________________

Dean:

Stew is perhaps the opposite. If instead the restaraunt said "Stew of
Irish Beef, Slowly Simmered in a Guinness Beer Stock with Imported
Irish Fingerling Potatoes" then I would call it overinflated.
_____________________________

Charlie:

Beef! Guinness! Jesus, Mary and Joseph! You may be talking about AN Irish
Stew (see the RFC Cookbook for mine), but there is no beef in Irish Stew.
_______________________________

Dean:

Irish Stew, by comparison, seems a little flat.
______________________________

Charlie:

It can be if badly made. It is a dish of poverty. Simple and cheap
ingredients, but nourshing and filling.
_____________________________

Dean:

And speaking of attitudes, you, of all people, have little if any room
to talk.

Dean G.
_____________________________

Charlie:

We all have attitudes Dean. If you have a problem with my friend Sheldon,
take it up with him. He does not need my help. I will point out that he has
a vast knowledge of cooking (especially baking). He is, I'll grant,
occasionally wont to get himself on insecure ground as he is with Irish
Stew, but that is a rare occurrence. When you both disagree yet cite the
same error, I gotta step in and say: "I say!"

Charlie

Dimitri 20-10-2005 12:08 AM

Inflated Restaurant Food Names

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Dimitri wrote:
>> "rob z" > wrote in message
>> >A friend that writes business books--the kind you see in the shops at
>> > airports--asked me for some examples of the grandiose names certain
>> > restaurants apply to rather mundane fare....say, salad-nicoise for tuna
>> > fish....does anyone have a few favorites to pass on? thanks, rz

>> Either you or your "friend" have no bloody idea what you are talking about.
>>
>> http://observer.guardian.co.uk/life/...545387,00.html

> Right on, and precisely the the premise I conveyed... in far fewer
> woids of course.
>
> Sheldon

Not often but every once in a while the Brit's get it right.

;-)

Dimitri

Michel Boucher 20-10-2005 04:10 AM

Inflated Restaurant Food Names

Puester > wrote in news:mtz5f.158426$qY1.24380
@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

> Michel Boucher wrote:
>
>> Not far from Antibes and a green bean's throw from Juan-les-Pins.
>> Antibes is where Jacques Audiberti, the poet, is buried.

> And a great many more Antibeans (Antibeaners?), I suspect....

At least I can name one. Can you? :-)

rob z 20-10-2005 03:07 PM

Inflated Restaurant Food Names

.....Thanks to everyone for your posts & emails....rz

--

.....visit us at www.zLight.com

Pandora 20-10-2005 03:10 PM

Inflated Restaurant Food Names

> ha scritto nel messaggio
> Dave Smith > wrote:
>> "Dean G." wrote:

>> > Salad-nicoise is more than just Tuna. Indeed, salad-nicoise may be the

>> Salad Nicoise is a salad typical of Nice, France. It typically has tuna
>> in
>> it.
>> If you are ever in France, Nice is a great place to see. It is on the
>> south east coast near Monaco.

> Tuna!? Every salad-nicoise I ever saw in France had sardines
> in it, certainly not tuna.

Perhaps they finished tuna, because "salad niçoise" is traditionally made
with tuna.

--
cheers
Pandora