Dee Randall

Default Illy coffee

Has anyone (especially Pandora) heard of this coffee?

"Espresso lovers already know the name Illy. But Andrea Illy, 41, CEO of the
coffeemaker, based in Trieste, Italy, and a grandson of its founder, wants
the rest of the world to associate his family's name with the dark, silky
brew too."

http://www.time.com/time/globalbusin...115647,00.html

notbob

On 2005-10-17, Dee Randall > wrote:

> Has anyone (especially Pandora) heard of this coffee?

Mediocre coffee at high prices. Roast your own. Better coffee at
cheaper prices.

http://www.sweetmarias.com/

nb
Dee Randall

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2005-10-17, Dee Randall > wrote:
>
>> Has anyone (especially Pandora) heard of this coffee?

> Mediocre coffee at high prices. Roast your own. Better coffee at
> cheaper prices.
>
> http://www.sweetmarias.com/
>
> nb

Have you done this? I tried roasting my own coffee years ago when my DH
used to bring 50# bags of green coffee from S.A.for us. It didn't last
long before I threw in the towel. Have you used their coffee?
Dee Dee

MG

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> Has anyone (especially Pandora) heard of this coffee?
>
> "Espresso lovers already know the name Illy. But Andrea Illy, 41, CEO of
> the coffeemaker, based in Trieste, Italy, and a grandson of its founder,
> wants the rest of the world to associate his family's name with the dark,
> silky brew too."
>
> http://www.time.com/time/globalbusin...115647,00.html

actually I rather like it; it doesn't taste like double-roasted bitter mouth
wash like some other well-known brands

SD

Dee Randall wrote:
> "notbob" > wrote in message
> > On 2005-10-17, Dee Randall > wrote:
> >
> >> Has anyone (especially Pandora) heard of this coffee?

> > Mediocre coffee at high prices. Roast your own. Better coffee at
> > cheaper prices.
> >
> > http://www.sweetmarias.com/
> >
> > nb

> Have you done this? I tried roasting my own coffee years ago when my DH
> used to bring 50# bags of green coffee from S.A.for us. It didn't last
> long before I threw in the towel. Have you used their coffee?
> Dee Dee

We roast our own coffee all the time. It isn't hard and we roast about
three days worth of beans at a time. Green beans stay fresher much
longer than roasted beans anyway. Much of the coffee you were probably
getting in those 50lb sacks was probably robusta - nasty cheap stuff.
We get high altitude grown, shade grown organic coffee to roast from
two different sources. There are plenty of places online that sell
green beans and the equipment to roast them. Sweet Marias is where we
bought our roaster and when we lived in the US, where we bought our
green beans. I buy locally in Comayagua department or over in the
mountains outside of Copan Ruinas so I can't provide you with a source
of grean beans.

SD

notbob

On 2005-10-17, Dee Randall > wrote:

> Have you done this?

Yes. Still do. Since I only roast for me, I use a Poppery II popcorn
popper. Can roast 8ozs (2 batches) in about 20mins.

> Have you used their coffee?

Yes.

Illy is a big name in coffee. Ernesto Illy literally defined and
refined expresso. If a cafe or restaurant or major hotel wants quality
coffee/espresso with no hassles, they buy Illy. It's safe, like a
manager buying IBM. But, you get Illy's idea of good coffee. Yes,
it's canned in nitrogen so it keeps well, but it's not fresh roasted
and choice is limited. I personally don't care for it. You must
decide for yourself.

nb
Nexis

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> Has anyone (especially Pandora) heard of this coffee?
>
> "Espresso lovers already know the name Illy. But Andrea Illy, 41, CEO of
> the coffeemaker, based in Trieste, Italy, and a grandson of its founder,
> wants the rest of the world to associate his family's name with the dark,
> silky brew too."
>
> http://www.time.com/time/globalbusin...115647,00.html

I got some coffee beans from Illy as part of a gift this past Christmas. It
was good coffee, rich and flavorful without being overly bitter and with no
burnt taste. They have "clubs" where you can have it delivered every month
or whatnot. If your buying roasted beans, you'll find them superior to alot
of what's available. They've developed a different method of packing to keep
the beans fresh longer, at least until opened.

As with every coffee question, there's bound to be answers from the "roast
your own" crowd, but not everyone has the time, space, or inclination to do
so. Try it, decide for yourself if you like it. Personally, I am currently
buying freshly roasted beans from Peet's and Whole Foods, and loving every
minute of it

kimberly

"Dee Randall" > wrote:

>Has anyone (especially Pandora) heard of this coffee?
>
>"Espresso lovers already know the name Illy. But Andrea Illy, 41, CEO of the
>coffeemaker, based in Trieste, Italy, and a grandson of its founder, wants
>the rest of the world to associate his family's name with the dark, silky
>brew too."
>
>http://www.time.com/time/globalbusin...115647,00.html

Illy = very expensive and, not to everyone's taste.
Try roasting your own. You can get started with a hot air popcorn
popper from your local thrift shop. The old West Bend Poppery works
very well. The newer Poppery II is pretty good as well.
Green coffee beans are available from several sites on the web. I've
had excellent results with green from http://www.catesgreencoffee.com/
Cate has a good selection of greens and her customer service is
excellent.

Ross.
To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.
Dee Randall

"Nexis" > wrote in message

> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
>> Has anyone (especially Pandora) heard of this coffee?
>>
>> "Espresso lovers already know the name Illy. But Andrea Illy, 41, CEO of
>> the coffeemaker, based in Trieste, Italy, and a grandson of its founder,
>> wants the rest of the world to associate his family's name with the dark,
>> silky brew too."
>>
>> http://www.time.com/time/globalbusin...115647,00.html
>>

> I got some coffee beans from Illy as part of a gift this past Christmas.
> It was good coffee, rich and flavorful without being overly bitter and
> with no burnt taste. They have "clubs" where you can have it delivered
> every month or whatnot. If your buying roasted beans, you'll find them
> superior to alot of what's available. They've developed a different method
> of packing to keep the beans fresh longer, at least until opened.
>
> As with every coffee question, there's bound to be answers from the "roast
> your own" crowd, but not everyone has the time, space, or inclination to
> do so. Try it, decide for yourself if you like it. Personally, I am
> currently buying freshly roasted beans from Peet's and Whole Foods, and
> loving every minute of it
>
> kimberly

The last 2 or 3 pounds of coffee we bought from Trader Joe's was "not that
bad." Whole Foods in the bins sometimes are a bit disappointing, but not
always; I buy WF's organic beans.
Dee Dee

Shaun aRe

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2005-10-17, Dee Randall > wrote:
>
> > Has anyone (especially Pandora) heard of this coffee?

> Mediocre coffee at high prices. Roast your own. Better coffee at
> cheaper prices.

I must agree. What, putting it in a round metal canister makes it great
coffee worthy of the price? Seems like that's all they've put any effort
into.

Shaun aRe

Arri London

Bubbabob wrote:

> I've always found Illy's beans to be quite stale by the time they get to
> North America.

LOL They are just as stale when they get to London shops. It's just not
good coffee.
Syssi

"SD" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Dee Randall wrote:

>> > Mediocre coffee at high prices. Roast your own. Better coffee at
>> > cheaper prices.
>> >
>> > http://www.sweetmarias.com/
>> >
>> > nb

>> Have you done this? I tried roasting my own coffee years ago when my DH
>> used to bring 50# bags of green coffee from S.A.for us. It didn't last
>> long before I threw in the towel. Have you used their coffee?
>> Dee Dee

> We roast our own coffee all the time. It isn't hard and we roast about
> three days worth of beans at a time. Green beans stay fresher much
> longer than roasted beans anyway. Much of the coffee you were probably
> getting in those 50lb sacks was probably robusta - nasty cheap stuff.
> We get high altitude grown, shade grown organic coffee to roast from
> two different sources. There are plenty of places online that sell
> green beans and the equipment to roast them. Sweet Marias is where we
> bought our roaster and when we lived in the US, where we bought our
> green beans. I buy locally in Comayagua department or over in the
> mountains outside of Copan Ruinas so I can't provide you with a source
> of grean beans.
>
> SD
>======

I can echo SD's words! We've been roasting our own for a few years now...
and have NO plans for discontinuing the practice. Home roasted is so
wonderful.

That being said, there is a coffee that I purchased from Trader Joe's a
while back that I fell in love with - Pinyon Coffee from New Mexico (or
something like that...)... Really, really good stuff!
--
Syssi