Mark L.

Default Indoor grilltop?

Greetings All,
I am installing a new kitchen in my house and really want to be able
to grill inside during inclement weather. The only type I have seen is
the JennAir series. Although it looks good, I would like to find anyone
else who makes a gas powered grilltop with burners. Since I will have a
seperate oven, all I need is the cooktop. I realize the taste won't be
as flavorful as cooking over lump hardwood outside, it will be close
enough for me during the winter. Many thanks, Mark
Sheldon

Mark L. wrote:

> I am installing a new kitchen in my house and really want to be able
> to grill inside during inclement weather. I would like to find anyone
> else who makes a gas powered grilltop with burners.

Why can't you use a gas grill outdoors during all types of weather...
don't you own a coat and umbrella?

Sheldon

Ward Abbott

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 18:38:38 GMT, "Mark L." > wrote:

> I am installing a new kitchen in my house and really want to be able
>to grill inside during inclement weather.

We love our Wolf RT364-C

http://www.universal-akb.com/wo36rawichrt.html

It has a 16000 BTU infrared grill but be warned you will have to
change your entire exaust system (10 inch ductwork) to 1200 cfm
with an external fan. This unit will put out more heat than you
can imagine but what a dream to cook and grill on.

sf

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 18:38:38 GMT, Mark L. wrote:

> Greetings All,
> I am installing a new kitchen in my house and really want to be able
> to grill inside during inclement weather. The only type I have seen is
> the JennAir series. Although it looks good, I would like to find anyone
> else who makes a gas powered grilltop with burners. Since I will have a
> seperate oven, all I need is the cooktop. I realize the taste won't be
> as flavorful as cooking over lump hardwood outside, it will be close
> enough for me during the winter. Many thanks, Mark

I don't think you can buy a built-in electric cooktop grill anymore,
the only option is gas. It seems like all the major brands offer one
and you'll be surprised about the taste. It's good!

http://www.monogram.com/selectiongui...gascooktop.htm
http://www.universal-akb.com/therprofserc.html
http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajm...S364GLSSN.html

Of course, you'll need to upgrade your ventilation system too - have
you considered that part yet? Calculate the cubic feet of air (cfm)
you need to move before you shop.
Mark L.

Sheldon wrote:
> Mark L. wrote:
>
>>I am installing a new kitchen in my house and really want to be able
>>to grill inside during inclement weather. I would like to find anyone
>>else who makes a gas powered grilltop with burners.

> Why can't you use a gas grill outdoors during all types of weather...
> don't you own a coat and umbrella?
>
> Sheldon

Sure I do, but it doesn't help much when the temp gets undef 0F during
the winter.......

Andy

~patches~ wrote:

> The main problem I have
> with indoor grills is the smoke they create For those living in
> apartments where outdoor grills are prohibited, the indoor grills are
> nice. They don't give quite as good of results as outdoor gas grills
> but then the gas grills aren't as good as charcoal IMO.

I have an electric grill. It's 6,000 watts and also has a rotisserie
attachment. It has a 26" x 18" cooking surface. It’s the greatest
appliance. When friends and family come over, they battle for the
spatulas and tongs. http://tinypic.com/eqtkyg.jpg

The exhaust has industrial strength dual fans which are mandatory as,
like you mention, the smoke is plentiful.

I agree about outdoor charcoal grills being the best for additional
flavor, you can use the good charcoal and wood chips, etc.

Andy
Andy

Andy wrote:

> The dish is Thai chicken satay with the coconut cream for basting. One
> of my favorite chicken dishes.

http://tinypic.com/eqtshy.jpg

Phred

In article >, ~patches~ > wrote:
>Andy wrote:
>> Andy wrote:
>>
>>>The dish is Thai chicken satay with the coconut cream for basting. One
>>>of my favorite chicken dishes.

>> http://tinypic.com/eqtshy.jpg
>>

>Your chicken dish looks good - would you mind sharing the recipe?

Patches, how did you get to see it? I tried twice tonight, and
nothing came through. Well nothing I could see. I guess it might
have been trying (from a 300 baud modem , but I couldn't wait for
more than half an hour each time. [Actually, I suspect it just locked
up; but without the usual web error message of some sort. Maybe my
firewall was blocking the virus... Do you still feel well? :-) ]

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Sheldon

Mark L. wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> > Mark L. wrote:
> >
> >>I am installing a new kitchen in my house and really want to be able
> >>to grill inside during inclement weather. I would like to find anyone
> >>else who makes a gas powered grilltop with burners.

> > Why can't you use a gas grill outdoors during all types of weather...
> > don't you own a coat and umbrella?
> >
> > Sheldon
> >

> Sure I do, but it doesn't help much when the temp gets undef 0F during
> the winter.......

Where I live 20 below during winter is typical but I still prefer to
grill outdoors... I just don't cook stuff during inclement weather that
requires hanging around very long... burgers, chops, and steaks are
fast, slap em on, go back indoors, come out a few minutes later to
flip, go back indoors, come out five minutes later to shut off the gas
and retrieve the grub... what's the big deal. In fact most times I
bring a tall drink with me and just stay outside the twenty mintes or
so and enjoy the solitude. Standing two feet from a hot grill is like
warm even in in -20ºF anyway. I'd much rather grill outdoors on a
crisp winter day than a sunny warm day in a rain storm... but I'll do
that too so long as it's not too windy and the rain is coming straight
down, then I have my umbrella and I wait below the house eaves where
it's dry. There's never been a time I wished I had an indoor grill.
Decent indoor grills are expensive, require super deluxe exhausts,
require substanial counter space, and are typically used only very
occasionally and just for a few minutes at a time, and then there's all
that clean up, and still unless one opts for for a very expensive
commercial grill none perform close to the least expensive Weber... I
don't think they're worth it, not unless one has more dollars than
brain cells and their entire existance is dictated by snobbishness
(Ooo, looky what I got). And I've never seen an indoor grill with a
lid, so they're very limited.

Anything you can do on an indoor grill can be done better with any
stove's broiler. A broiler and a grill are exactly the same appliance,
just 180º apart. And I don't use my stove's broiler for exactly the
same reason I wouldn't use an indoor grill, I hate the clean up... an
outdoor grill presents far, FAR less clean-up.

My stove is about 8 years old now, yet I don't even know if its broiler
works, I've never turned it on. Hehe, just now went to look to see
where my broiler is located, yup, it's inside the oven at the top...
somehow I forgot and thought it may be in that drawer at the bottom but
no, that's only storage. So I suppose if I really wanted to I could
use my broiler and clean it with the oven's self-clean feature... but
even that I've only used once in eight years, I cook clean because I
don't want to spend more time cleaning than cooking. I can't
understand why folks always seem to be discussing how to clean the
exterior of their cookware... don't fercockt it up yoose won't need to
clean it.

An indoor grill is 100% hype, that's why fancy steak houses use those
monster grills out in the open where everyone can see the fireworks
show... it's all for the visual effects only... steaks can be cooked
exactly as well indoors if not better with a broiler.

Sheldon

Sheldon

sf wrote:
> Mark L. wrote:
>
> > I am installing a new kitchen in my house and really want to be able
> > to grill inside during inclement weather. The only type I have seen is
> > the JennAir series. Although it looks good, I would like to find anyone
> > else who makes a gas powered grilltop with burners. Since I will have a
> > seperate oven, all I need is the cooktop. I realize the taste won't be
> > as flavorful as cooking over lump hardwood outside, it will be close
> > enough for me during the winter.

> I don't think you can buy a built-in electric cooktop grill anymore,
> the only option is gas. It seems like all the major brands offer one
> and you'll be surprised about the taste. It's good!
>
> http://www.monogram.com/selectiongui...gascooktop.htm
> http://www.universal-akb.com/therprofserc.html
> http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajm...S364GLSSN.html
>
> Of course, you'll need to upgrade your ventilation system too - have
> you considered that part yet? Calculate the cubic feet of air (cfm)
> you need to move before you shop.

Hmmm, THREE THOUSAND BUCKS+ to do what any kitchen stove does *better*
for free with its broiler... and then all yer gonna grill anyways is
fercoctah stupidmarket mystery meat boogers and tube steak because
while paying off that $nob grill that's all you can afford.

Sheldon (thinking how much porterhouse three grand buys)

sf

On 18 Oct 2005 10:32:41 -0700, Sheldon wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > Mark L. wrote:
> >
> > > I am installing a new kitchen in my house and really want to be able
> > > to grill inside during inclement weather. The only type I have seen is
> > > the JennAir series. Although it looks good, I would like to find anyone
> > > else who makes a gas powered grilltop with burners. Since I will have a
> > > seperate oven, all I need is the cooktop. I realize the taste won't be
> > > as flavorful as cooking over lump hardwood outside, it will be close
> > > enough for me during the winter.

> > I don't think you can buy a built-in electric cooktop grill anymore,
> > the only option is gas. It seems like all the major brands offer one
> > and you'll be surprised about the taste. It's good!
> >
> > http://www.monogram.com/selectiongui...gascooktop.htm
> > http://www.universal-akb.com/therprofserc.html
> > http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajm...S364GLSSN.html
> >
> > Of course, you'll need to upgrade your ventilation system too - have
> > you considered that part yet? Calculate the cubic feet of air (cfm)
> > you need to move before you shop.

> Hmmm, THREE THOUSAND BUCKS+ to do what any kitchen stove does *better*
> for free with its broiler... and then all yer gonna grill anyways is
> fercoctah stupidmarket mystery meat boogers and tube steak because
> while paying off that $nob grill that's all you can afford.
>
> Sheldon (thinking how much porterhouse three grand buys)

Psssh! That's a mere nothing. What did you spend on your outdoor
contraption which wasn't even the top of the line? These models not
only grill, they let you cook on at least 4 burners at the same time
*plus* you don't have to worry about a tank of gas running out, unlike
similarly priced outdoor grill models.
sf

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 07:34:25 -0400, ~patches~ wrote:

> I've had a negative experience using wood chips on a gas grill.

I'm not surprised!

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 18:38:38 GMT, "Mark L." > wrote:

>Greetings All,
> I am installing a new kitchen in my house and really want to be able
>to grill inside during inclement weather. The only type I have seen is
>the JennAir series. Although it looks good, I would like to find anyone
>else who makes a gas powered grilltop with burners. Since I will have a
>seperate oven, all I need is the cooktop. I realize the taste won't be
>as flavorful as cooking over lump hardwood outside, it will be close
>enough for me during the winter. Many thanks, Mark

Wouldn't a George Foreman grill be a less complicated solution ?

<rj>

Indoor diy barbeques sam coleridge General Cooking 34 08-12-2009 08:02 PM
indoor smoking Stormmee Barbecue 5 11-09-2009 03:36 AM
Indoor Grilling ~patches~ General Cooking 13 12-01-2006 09:45 PM
Indoor grill? Larry G General Cooking 6 19-06-2005 12:22 PM
Indoor grill- Thanks to everyone SPOONS General Cooking 8 13-12-2003 03:51 AM