Tracy

Default Really good Chocolate Cupcakes

De-lurking to post this recipe. I made these for a co-worker. It was
her last day and she requested that I make them. They are amazing and
very easy to make. The cupcake is very moist and heavy/dense. My
only question is if I used semi-sweet- Nestles chips---would the
ganache frosting be as good. I ask because my son can't eat
Ghirardelli chocolate because of his nut allergy and I want to make
these so he can enjoy too. I made two batches because I am never sure
in baking when it is ok to double but only one recipe of ganache was
needed. I ended up with about 30 cupcakes.
-Tracy

Chocolate Ganache Cupcakes
(Ina Garten-Barefoot Contessa)

1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
4 extra large eggs, room temperature
1 (16 ounce) can Hershey's chocolate syrup
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 cup all purpose flour

For the ganache:

½ cup heavy cream
8 ounces good quality semi sweet chocolate chips (I used Ghirardelli
Bittersweet bars chopped)
1 teaspoon instant coffee granules

Line muffin pans with 12 paper liners. Preheat oven to 325 F

Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer until
light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time. Mix in the syrup and
vanilla. Add the flour and mix until just combined. Don't overbeat.

Scoop the batter into the muffin cups and bake 30 minutes, or until
just set. (You will fill to the rim). Let the cupcakes cool
thoroughly in the pan.

For the ganache, cook the heavy cream, chocolate, and instant coffee
in the top of a double boiler over simmering water until smooth and
warm, stirring occasionally.

Dip the top of each cupcake in the ganache.

Do not refrigerate.

Marcella Peek

In article >,
Tracy > wrote:

> De-lurking to post this recipe. I made these for a co-worker. It was
> her last day and she requested that I make them. They are amazing and
> very easy to make. The cupcake is very moist and heavy/dense. My
> only question is if I used semi-sweet- Nestles chips---would the
> ganache frosting be as good. I ask because my son can't eat
> Ghirardelli chocolate because of his nut allergy and I want to make
> these so he can enjoy too.

Not unless you think chocolate chips taste as good as Ghirardelli. If
you want good quality chocolate without the risk of nut contamination
you might try Scharffen-Berger. My niece who is deathly allergic to
nuts can eat any form of Scharffen-Berger (except milk as she also has
a dairy allergy) without problem.

marcella
Tracy

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 13:54:14 -0700, Marcella Peek
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Tracy > wrote:
>
>> De-lurking to post this recipe. I made these for a co-worker. It was
>> her last day and she requested that I make them. They are amazing and
>> very easy to make. The cupcake is very moist and heavy/dense. My
>> only question is if I used semi-sweet- Nestles chips---would the
>> ganache frosting be as good. I ask because my son can't eat
>> Ghirardelli chocolate because of his nut allergy and I want to make
>> these so he can enjoy too.

>Not unless you think chocolate chips taste as good as Ghirardelli. If
>you want good quality chocolate without the risk of nut contamination
>you might try Scharffen-Berger. My niece who is deathly allergic to
>nuts can eat any form of Scharffen-Berger (except milk as she also has
>a dairy allergy) without problem.
>
>marcella

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try the Sharffen-Berger. My son is
VERY allergic to nuts. It was a big shock when I realized how many
food products that you wouldn't think have nuts in them actually do.
Tracy
Nancy1

Tracy wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 13:54:14 -0700, Marcella Peek
> > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > Tracy > wrote:
> >
> >> De-lurking to post this recipe. I made these for a co-worker. It was
> >> her last day and she requested that I make them. They are amazing and
> >> very easy to make. The cupcake is very moist and heavy/dense. My
> >> only question is if I used semi-sweet- Nestles chips---would the
> >> ganache frosting be as good. I ask because my son can't eat
> >> Ghirardelli chocolate because of his nut allergy and I want to make
> >> these so he can enjoy too.

> >Not unless you think chocolate chips taste as good as Ghirardelli. If
> >you want good quality chocolate without the risk of nut contamination
> >you might try Scharffen-Berger. My niece who is deathly allergic to
> >nuts can eat any form of Scharffen-Berger (except milk as she also has
> >a dairy allergy) without problem.
> >
> >marcella

> Thanks for the suggestion. I will try the Sharffen-Berger. My son is
> VERY allergic to nuts. It was a big shock when I realized how many
> food products that you wouldn't think have nuts in them actually do.
> Tracy

I'm deathly allergic to every nut except almonds (in the cherry family)
and cashews (they aren't a "true" nut). Filberts will kill me one of
these days, they are the worst. I just plain don't eat any gourmet
chocolate because so many of them are enriched with nut oil. But
that's me ;-) I CAN eat peanuts, and I love almonds and cashews, so I
guess I don't mind the allergy so much. My rule is, if I can't ask the
cook, I don't eat it. It's a great rule, and one that's easy for kids
to follow ....

N.

Ranee Mueller

In article >,
Tracy > wrote:

> ½ cup heavy cream

Could you tell me what this measurement is please? Thank you.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

~patches~

Ranee Mueller wrote:

> In article >,
> Tracy > wrote:
>

>>½ cup heavy cream

a half a cup or about 125 ml
]

> Could you tell me what this measurement is please? Thank you.
>
> Regards,
> Ranee
>
> Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.
>
> "She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." Prov 31:13
>
> http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
> http://talesfromthekitchen.blogspot.com/

Tracy

Nancy1 wrote:

> I'm deathly allergic to every nut except almonds (in the cherry family)
> and cashews (they aren't a "true" nut). Filberts will kill me one of
> these days, they are the worst. I just plain don't eat any gourmet
> chocolate because so many of them are enriched with nut oil. But
> that's me ;-) I CAN eat peanuts, and I love almonds and cashews, so I
> guess I don't mind the allergy so much. My rule is, if I can't ask the
> cook, I don't eat it. It's a great rule, and one that's easy for kids
> to follow ....
>
> N.

My son is also deathly allergic to all tree nuts--so he is not allergic
to peanuts--because they are not nuts. But he won't eat them. He will
eat peanut butter though. He is VERY careful about what he eats.

Tracy

Ranee Mueller

In article >,
~patches~ > wrote: