Sue

Default PARMIGIANO REGGIANO STORAGE

After a small wheel of Parmigiano Reggiano has been cut

1-what is the best way to store it?
2-how long will it last?

Levelwave©

Sue wrote:

> After a small wheel of Parmigiano Reggiano has been cut
>
> 1-what is the best way to store it?
> 2-how long will it last?

In a freezer-bag bag stored in the fridge. Lasts for months and months...

~john
Frogleg

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 19:01:33 -0400, Levelwave© >
wrote:

>Sue wrote:
>
>> After a small wheel of Parmigiano Reggiano has been cut
>>
>> 1-what is the best way to store it?
>> 2-how long will it last?

>In a freezer-bag bag stored in the fridge. Lasts for months and months...

Years, if you forget a chunk in the back.
stark

In article .net>, Sue
> wrote:

> After a small wheel of Parmigiano Reggiano has been cut
>
> 1-what is the best way to store it?
> 2-how long will it last?

Good questions. Some say never refrigerate. Some say never use plastic
wrap, although they've recanted and are now saying never use the same
plastic wrap. Some say wrap first in foil, then in plastic wrap but
never so tight that the cheese can't breathe. All say eat cheese at
room temp.

I purchased a wedge, flew home, wrapped it in foil and set it on the
counter of an air conditioned southern home and it immediately hardened
around the edges. After a week it began showing some mould which could
be scraped off. Still eating from the center, but it's very crumbly;
harder edges are suitable for very fine grating.

For longevity, my best experience has been with Asiago, both imported
and domestic, in a freezer bag in the fridge. It's lasted months,
becoming highly aromatic but not drying out. I use it only as grating
cheese.
Steve the Sauropodman

"Sue" > wrote in message hlink.net>...
> After a small wheel of Parmigiano Reggiano has been cut
>
> 1-what is the best way to store it?
> 2-how long will it last?

And don't forget to save the rind. Toss into the stock pot when you're
simmering veggies for ministrone. Delicious!

Cheers

The Joneses

stark wrote:

> In article .net>, Sue
> > wrote:
>
> > After a small wheel of Parmigiano Reggiano has been cut
> >
> > 1-what is the best way to store it?
> > 2-how long will it last?
> >

> Good questions. Some say never refrigerate. Some say never use plastic
> wrap, although they've recanted and are now saying never use the same
> plastic wrap. Some say wrap first in foil, then in plastic wrap but
> never so tight that the cheese can't breathe. All say eat cheese at
> room temp.
>
> I purchased a wedge, flew home, wrapped it in foil and set it on the
> counter of an air conditioned southern home and it immediately hardened
> around the edges. After a week it began showing some mould which could
> be scraped off. Still eating from the center, but it's very crumbly;
> harder edges are suitable for very fine grating.
>
> For longevity, my best experience has been with Asiago, both imported
> and domestic, in a freezer bag in the fridge. It's lasted months,
> becoming highly aromatic but not drying out. I use it only as grating
> cheese.

Manchego from Spain in my favorite, but very close in texture to Parmesan
(less salty and not so strong). I keep a big chunk, cut from the wheel,
wrapped in waxed paper over the cut surface and in a plastic freezer bag
not all the way closed. The little chunks in the dairy case closely
wrapped with plastic seem kinda gooey or sticky on the edges. Tasty, but
the texture is off-putting.
Edrena

Doug Freyburger

Sue wrote:

> After a small wheel of Parmigiano Reggiano has been cut
> 1-what is the best way to store it?

Freeze it. The problem with thawed cheese is it gets
crumbly. Since almost all uses for Reggiano involve
grating it, crumbly is not an issue. Besides, Reggiano
is hard enough that it doesn't get as crumbly as softer
cheese do when thawed.

> 2-how long will it last?

Years when frozen. Not that the stuff will stay there
that long given how good it tastes.
Donna Rose

> In article .net>, Sue
> > wrote:
>
> After a small wheel of Parmigiano Reggiano has been cut
>
> 1-what is the best way to store it?
> 2-how long will it last?

My grandfather, who was born and raised in Italy, used to buy a whole
wheel, then wrap it carefully in layers of linen tea-towels, the inner
one of which had been dipped in wine vinegar. It used to be a big ritual
watching him unwrap it for Sunday dinners, at which enough would be
grated for use during the week. Then he'd patiently wrap it up again
until the next week. I don't remember it being wrapped in anything else
(I.e. plastic or foil) but I could be wrong.

--
Donna
A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist hopes they are.