C & S

Default Coffee maker/brewer

I am looking to buy a quality coffee maker and would greatly appreciate the
opinion of this group regarding the brand they judge to make a decent cup of
coffee. I've had a Black & Decker, a Mr. Coffee and a Phillips (soon to be
buried). I've looked into the Bunn NHB Professional Home Brewer, which has
have a four and 1/4 star review on Amazon. However, before I make the
splurge, I would appreciate your opinion. What brand do you own and would
you recommend it? Thank you for your imput.
--
Carole
Champlain, NY

Fine style does not make something true, nor has a man a wise soul
because he has a handsome face and well-chosen eloquence.

Aurelius Augustinus (354-430)

~patches~

C & S wrote:

> I am looking to buy a quality coffee maker and would greatly appreciate the
> opinion of this group regarding the brand they judge to make a decent cup of
> coffee. I've had a Black & Decker, a Mr. Coffee and a Phillips (soon to be
> buried). I've looked into the Bunn NHB Professional Home Brewer, which has
> have a four and 1/4 star review on Amazon. However, before I make the
> splurge, I would appreciate your opinion. What brand do you own and would
> you recommend it? Thank you for your imput.

We have a Faberware purcolator. It's ancient! DH swears the purcolator
coffee tastes the best. DD has on of those fancy dancy pod coffee
things that make one cup at a time using coffee pucks. Friends of our
stick with their Mr Coffee drip thing. I guess it just depends on what
you want from your coffee. Some mornings instant is just fine with me
kilikini

"C & S" > wrote in message
> I am looking to buy a quality coffee maker and would greatly appreciate

the
> opinion of this group regarding the brand they judge to make a decent cup

of
> coffee. I've had a Black & Decker, a Mr. Coffee and a Phillips (soon to

be
> buried). I've looked into the Bunn NHB Professional Home Brewer, which

has
> have a four and 1/4 star review on Amazon. However, before I make the
> splurge, I would appreciate your opinion. What brand do you own and would
> you recommend it? Thank you for your imput.
> --

We have a Bunn that I bought for my husband last year for Christmas. He
swears by them. The last one he had was from 1950! Yes, they're expensive
for what amenities you get, but it makes a pot of coffee in 3 minutes
because it continuously keeps water hot. It doesn't have to heat the water
first. If I need hot water for cooking, I just fill up the Bunn and
instantly hot water comes out. Saves on waiting for the water from the tap
to heat up, anyway.

kili

~patches~

L, not -L wrote:

<snip>
> then Mr Coffee type brewers and some folks may already be over-challenged
> just stumbling to the kitchen of a morning<smile>.

Only if they are the same folks on the hangover thread

smithfarms pure kona

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 10:35:29 -0400, "C & S"
> wrote:

>I am looking to buy a quality coffee maker and would greatly

appreciate the
>opinion of this group regarding the brand they judge to make a decent

cup of
>coffee. I've had a Black & Decker, a Mr. Coffee and a Phillips (soon

to be
>buried). I've looked into the Bunn NHB Professional Home Brewer,

which has
>have a four and 1/4 star review on Amazon. However, before I make

the
>splurge, I would appreciate your opinion. What brand do you own and

would
>you recommend it? Thank you for your imput.

If you google for alt.coffee--another usenet group and put in the line
"What coffee maker should I get" you will find a recent thread with 27

Good luck.

with aloha from a coffee farmer...
Thunder

smithfarms.com
Farmers of 100% Kona Coffee
& other Great Stuff

Dee Randall

"C & S" > wrote in message
>I am looking to buy a quality coffee maker and would greatly appreciate
>the
> opinion of this group regarding the brand they judge to make a decent cup
> of
> coffee. I've had a Black & Decker, a Mr. Coffee and a Phillips (soon to
> be
> buried). I've looked into the Bunn NHB Professional Home Brewer, which
> has
> have a four and 1/4 star review on Amazon. However, before I make the
> splurge, I would appreciate your opinion. What brand do you own and would
> you recommend it? Thank you for your imput.
> --
> Carole

I'm wondering if this isn't a happenstance purchase. I searched on Amazon a
coffee maker that I thought was a pretty good idea, it had over 200 reviews,
most of them pretty darned bad. I was totally surprised.

Here is what I plan to do when I research a new purchase of a coffee pot.
Google "coffee makers," find something that looks like you would really like
to have.
Then read the multitude of reviews about it. I think these hundreds of
reviews really get down to the nitty-gritty about a coffee maker. And they
are really passionate about it when they write the review.
Coffee is something I love, and a coffee maker is something I'm not very
complacent about; and I don't want to turn around and invest bigger bucks in
something I don't like.
For instance, the coffee maker I was researching, too many were saying that
the coffee in it was not hot enough. This is something you can learn from a
multitude of reviewers, saying what they don't like instead of what they do
like. What someone else might recommend, I might hate, but I like to know
what people hate about something they bought.
Dee Dee

Dimitri

"C & S" > wrote in message
>I am looking to buy a quality coffee maker and would greatly appreciate the
> opinion of this group regarding the brand they judge to make a decent cup of
> coffee. I've had a Black & Decker, a Mr. Coffee and a Phillips (soon to be
> buried). I've looked into the Bunn NHB Professional Home Brewer, which has
> have a four and 1/4 star review on Amazon. However, before I make the
> splurge, I would appreciate your opinion. What brand do you own and would
> you recommend it? Thank you for your imput.
> --
> Carole
> Champlain, NY
> http://photos.yahoo.com/ceridwen_rhea

We have had many over the years - we recently purchased one of the brew
stations:

http://www.hamiltonbeach.com/kitchen..._12/47224.html

This is not a "gourmet" coffee machine but for a countertop workhorse and there
is no carafe to break or DRIP! (I have never had a coffee carafe that does not
drip.

Once I purchased a BRUN from Costco - about a year later the carafe broke - the
coffee maker was about $50.00 the replacement carafe was $35.00 and the "special
lid" was another $7.00.

Dimitri

C & S

"L, not -L" > wrote in message

> Perhaps a little more info would help; are you a coffee "fanatic" or just
> want a coffeemaker that doesn't die in a few months? The reason I ask is,
> if you are not a fanatic - don't grind beans at home and obsess over Kona
> vs. Peaberry vs. whatever - the answers will be very different.

Thank you for pointing out the need for clarification. I consider myself a
"middle of the road" coffee drinker. I grind my own beans but am not obsess
over types of beans or methods of roasting (we do have a close friend who
roasts his own beans, amazing coffee). I want a reliable electrical
appliance that's going to brew a decent cup of coffee.

> If you just want a good cup or Maxwell House or Folgers or whatever, then

suggesting you
> get a vacuum brewer or french press is probably not productive. If you

are
> a "fanatic", I suggest you ask your question on alt.food.coffee and
> rec.food.drink.coffee where other fanatics can guide you. If you just

want
> a Mr. Coffee type that works without all the marketing hype, you might

also
> want to ask in rec.food.equipment

Thank you for pointing out the specialty ng. I wasn't aware of such groups.
Having posted on this ng requesting recommendations for a stand mixer, and
having rec'd such amazing and valuable comments from numerous members, I
thought I would seek the expertise of this group once again.

> Personally, I gave up on Mr. Coffee and equivalent brewers and went with a
> stove-top vacuum pot (Bodum Santos) when I want an 8-cup pot and a french
> press (Starbucks, made by Bodum) when I want a 4-cup pot. IMHO, I get a

much
> better tasting cup of coffee, from the same Eight O'Clock brand 100%
> Columbian beans. However, these pots require a tiny bit more fussing

around
> then Mr Coffee type brewers and some folks may already be over-challenged
> just stumbling to the kitchen of a morning<smile>.

I'm looking for a quality electrical drip coffee maker that makes a decent
coffee pot and that will last longer than the three others I have mentioned.
I guess that would make it a middle of the road appliance. I have a french
press and find it inefficient in the morning rush hour (it's our camping
coffee maker ;o).

Thank you again for pointing out the need to clarify.

--
Carole
Champlain, NY
http://photos.yahoo.com/ceridwen_rhea

Fine style does not make something true, nor has a man a wise soul
because he has a handsome face and well-chosen eloquence.

Aurelius Augustinus (354-430)

C & S

Would yours be comparable to the Bunn NHB Professional Home Brewer? That's
that one that caught my eye. How is the coffee? I wouldn't mind paying
that kind of money if it provides me with years of service and a decent cup
of coffee.

Carole
Champlain, NY

"kilikini" > wrote in message

> We have a Bunn that I bought for my husband last year for Christmas. He
> swears by them. The last one he had was from 1950! Yes, they're

expensive
> for what amenities you get, but it makes a pot of coffee in 3 minutes
> because it continuously keeps water hot. It doesn't have to heat the

water
> first. If I need hot water for cooking, I just fill up the Bunn and
> instantly hot water comes out. Saves on waiting for the water from the

tap
> to heat up, anyway.
>
> kili

C & S

Thank you for pointing that out. I shall check it out.

Carole
Champlain, NY

"smithfarms pure kona" > wrote in message

> If you google for alt.coffee--another usenet group and put in the line
> "What coffee maker should I get" you will find a recent thread with 27
>
> Good luck.
>
> with aloha from a coffee farmer...
> Thunder
>
> smithfarms.com
> Farmers of 100% Kona Coffee
> & other Great Stuff

kilikini

"C & S" > wrote in message
> Would yours be comparable to the Bunn NHB Professional Home Brewer?

That's
> that one that caught my eye. How is the coffee? I wouldn't mind paying
> that kind of money if it provides me with years of service and a decent

cup
> of coffee.
>
> Carole
> Champlain, NY

I don't drink coffee, but my husband says it makes a good pot. We brew tea
in it as well. Oh, and I always grind the beans first when I make the
coffee.

We have this BUNN: http://www.bunnomatic.com/pages/windows/NHB_black.html

Like I said, though, the other Bunn my husband had was a 1950's model;
lasted for 50 years. We only tossed it because it had fallen, cracked the
base where the water is stored, and had a slow leak. I got tired of
cleaning up after it so I got a new one. My MIL has had her bun since the
1960's - over 40 years old.

It doesn't have a timer, but like I said, I grind my own beans, anyway.

HTH!

kili

Dave Smith

C & S wrote:

> I am looking to buy a quality coffee maker and would greatly appreciate the
> opinion of this group regarding the brand they judge to make a decent cup of
> coffee. I've had a Black & Decker, a Mr. Coffee and a Phillips (soon to be
> buried). I've looked into the Bunn NHB Professional Home Brewer, which has
> have a four and 1/4 star review on Amazon. However, before I make the
> splurge, I would appreciate your opinion. What brand do you own and would
> you recommend it? Thank you for your imput.

I use a cheap Moulinex that was under $15. It is just the basic body with
heating element for the water and hot plate. It makes coffee pretty much the
same as any other coffee maker I have had in the past. AFAIC, the important
factor is the coffee and the grind, because all coffee maker does is heat up the
water and send it up to the basket where it wets the beans and drips into the
pot. I know several people who have various types of much more expensive
machines who make coffee that is pretty bad in comparison to mine, but they use
cheap coffee and make it too weak.

Dave Smith

Dimitri wrote:

> Once I purchased a BRUN from Costco - about a year later the carafe broke - the
> coffee maker was about $50.00 the replacement carafe was $35.00 and the "special
> lid" was another $7.00.

When my the pot from my old Braun broke it was about the same price to be the cheap
Moulinex ( without all the bells and whistle that can go wrong ) as it was to replace
the carafe. The I figured it, I bought a new carafe and got a coffee maker thrown in.
:-)

Dee Randall

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>C & S wrote:
>
>> I am looking to buy a quality coffee maker and would greatly appreciate
>> the
>> opinion of this group regarding the brand they judge to make a decent cup
>> of
>> coffee. I've had a Black & Decker, a Mr. Coffee and a Phillips (soon to
>> be
>> buried). I've looked into the Bunn NHB Professional Home Brewer, which
>> has
>> have a four and 1/4 star review on Amazon. However, before I make the
>> splurge, I would appreciate your opinion. What brand do you own and
>> would
>> you recommend it? Thank you for your imput.

> I use a cheap Moulinex that was under $15. It is just the basic body with
> heating element for the water and hot plate. It makes coffee pretty much
> the
> same as any other coffee maker I have had in the past. AFAIC, the
> important
> factor is the coffee and the grind, because all coffee maker does is heat
> up the
> water and send it up to the basket where it wets the beans and drips into
> the
> pot. I know several people who have various types of much more expensive
> machines who make coffee that is pretty bad in comparison to mine, but
> they use
> cheap coffee and make it too weak.

I'll have to agree with you. I'm in between coffee pots, so DH bought one
at Overstock or some sorta place because our Krups after 15 or so years
failed. Actually the coffee in this el cheapo is not that bad! So I'm in no
hurry, but I know it won't last.
Dee Dee

Dave Smith

Dee Randall wrote:

> I'll have to agree with you. I'm in between coffee pots, so DH bought one
> at Overstock or some sorta place because our Krups after 15 or so years
> failed. Actually the coffee in this el cheapo is not that bad! So I'm in no
> hurry, but I know it won't last.

What is there not to last? They are all made in the third world, all primarily
automated assembly lines with cheap labour. The more expensive come with timers
and pressure sensitive switches that serve more to shorten their live than
anything really important. Heck, who really needs a timer on a drop coffee
maker. If you are really pressed for time in the morning you can prepare a pot
ahead of time and set the timer (which will fail if their is a power outage).
But you is so pressed for time that they can't flip a switch and get their
coffee a few minutes later? I have been through a number of drip coffee
machines over the years, and the "good" makers didn't last any longer than the
cheap units. It just cost a heck of a lot more to replace them.

Pete C.

kilikini wrote:

> "C & S" > wrote in message
> > Would yours be comparable to the Bunn NHB Professional Home Brewer?

> That's
> > that one that caught my eye. How is the coffee? I wouldn't mind paying
> > that kind of money if it provides me with years of service and a decent

> cup
> > of coffee.
> >
> > Carole
> > Champlain, NY
> >

> I don't drink coffee, but my husband says it makes a good pot. We brew tea
> in it as well. Oh, and I always grind the beans first when I make the
> coffee.
>
> We have this BUNN: http://www.bunnomatic.com/pages/windows/NHB_black.html
>
> Like I said, though, the other Bunn my husband had was a 1950's model;
> lasted for 50 years. We only tossed it because it had fallen, cracked the
> base where the water is stored, and had a slow leak. I got tired of
> cleaning up after it so I got a new one. My MIL has had her bun since the
> 1960's - over 40 years old.
>
> It doesn't have a timer, but like I said, I grind my own beans, anyway.
>
> HTH!
>
> kili

Um, anyone with a TIG welder could have brought your 1950's version back
to good as new.

Pete C.
Denny Wheeler

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 12:40:30 -0400, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:

>For instance, the coffee maker I was researching, too many were saying that
>the coffee in it was not hot enough.

Well, if you need it really hot, you could get whatever Mickey D's
uses to make coffee....

--
-denny-
"Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth unannounced?"

"It's come as you are, baby."

-over the hedge

>Dee Randall wrote:
>
>> I'll have to agree with you. I'm in between coffee pots, so DH bought one
>> at Overstock or some sorta place because our Krups after 15 or so years
>> failed. Actually the coffee in this el cheapo is not that bad! So I'm in no
>> hurry, but I know it won't last.

There's something about a cone filter that makes a better pot of coffee.
Maybe it directs more of the water through the grounds.

Our favorite is a KRUPS, 10-cupper, cone filter.
Good ergonomica, small countertop footprint,
makes a great pot of coffee.

I'm tempted to buy a spare unit.
Some day this pot's gonna fail,
and I'll want a back-up on hand.

<rj>
djs0302

C & S wrote:
> I am looking to buy a quality coffee maker and would greatly appreciate the
> opinion of this group regarding the brand they judge to make a decent cup of
> coffee. I've had a Black & Decker, a Mr. Coffee and a Phillips (soon to be
> buried). I've looked into the Bunn NHB Professional Home Brewer, which has
> have a four and 1/4 star review on Amazon. However, before I make the
> splurge, I would appreciate your opinion. What brand do you own and would
> you recommend it? Thank you for your imput.
> --
> Carole
> Champlain, NY
> http://photos.yahoo.com/ceridwen_rhea
>
> Fine style does not make something true, nor has a man a wise soul
> because he has a handsome face and well-chosen eloquence.
>
> Aurelius Augustinus (354-430)

Do a search on Amazon.com for Hamilton Beach Flavorplus. It's a good
basic coffee maker with a timer so you can have it brew the coffee just
before you get up in the morning. It's gotten mostly excellent
reviews. It has gotten a few bad reviews but after reading them I
blame a lot of it on user incompetence.

In >, on 10/14/05
at 01:11 PM, "C & S" > said:

>"L, not -L" > wrote in message
t...

>> Perhaps a little more info would help; are you a coffee "fanatic" or just
>> want a coffeemaker that doesn't die in a few months? The reason I ask is,
>> if you are not a fanatic - don't grind beans at home and obsess over Kona
>> vs. Peaberry vs. whatever - the answers will be very different.

>Thank you for pointing out the need for clarification. I consider myself
>a "middle of the road" coffee drinker. I grind my own beans but am not
>obsess over types of beans or methods of roasting (we do have a close
>friend who roasts his own beans, amazing coffee). I want a reliable
>electrical appliance that's going to brew a decent cup of coffee.

In that case, make sure you are using good water and buy a gold filter to
fit your choice if it does not come with one.

jim

jim

Dee Randall

> wrote in message
.net...
> In >, on 10/14/05
> at 01:11 PM, "C & S" > said:
>

>>"L, not -L" > wrote in message
et...

>>> Perhaps a little more info would help; are you a coffee "fanatic" or
>>> just
>>> want a coffeemaker that doesn't die in a few months? The reason I ask
>>> is,
>>> if you are not a fanatic - don't grind beans at home and obsess over
>>> Kona
>>> vs. Peaberry vs. whatever - the answers will be very different.

>>Thank you for pointing out the need for clarification. I consider myself
>>a "middle of the road" coffee drinker. I grind my own beans but am not
>>obsess over types of beans or methods of roasting (we do have a close
>>friend who roasts his own beans, amazing coffee). I want a reliable
>>electrical appliance that's going to brew a decent cup of coffee.

> In that case, make sure you are using good water and buy a gold filter to
> fit your choice if it does not come with one.
>

> jim

Does a gold filter last -- I've used one when I've been out of filters.
Then I wonder if I will taste something metallic. They look to me as if they
might even "peel." I know they are not made of GOLD. What is it, I wonder.
Thanks.
Dee Dee

Dimitri wrote:

> We have had many over the years - we recently purchased one of the brew
> stations:
>
> http://www.hamiltonbeach.com/kitchen..._12/47224.html
>
> This is not a "gourmet" coffee machine but for a countertop workhorse and there
> is no carafe to break or DRIP! (I have never had a coffee carafe that does not
> drip.

that looks interesting. But, if the brewed coffee stays inside the
machine, and not in a carafe, then how do you empty what's left, and
clean it out?

Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 14 Oct 2005 04:38:41p, Dee Randall wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > wrote in message
> .net...
>> In >, on 10/14/05
>> at 01:11 PM, "C & S" > said:
>>

>>>"L, not -L" > wrote in message
. net...

>>>Thank you for pointing out the need for clarification. I consider
>>>myself a "middle of the road" coffee drinker. I grind my own beans but
>>>am not obsess over types of beans or methods of roasting (we do have a
>>>close friend who roasts his own beans, amazing coffee). I want a
>>>reliable electrical appliance that's going to brew a decent cup of
>>>coffee.

>> In that case, make sure you are using good water and buy a gold filter
>> to fit your choice if it does not come with one.
>>

>> jim
>>

> Does a gold filter last -- I've used one when I've been out of filters.
> Then I wonder if I will taste something metallic. They look to me as if
> they might even "peel." I know they are not made of GOLD. What is it,
> I wonder. Thanks.
> Dee Dee

Yes, it's gold, but gold-plated. Gold is highly non-reactive, as with gold
fillings in your teeth. They don't taste metallic.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey
Wayne Boatwright

http://www.hamiltonbeach.com/kitchen...offeemakers_12
>> /47224.html
>>
>> This is not a "gourmet" coffee machine but for a countertop workhorse
>> and there is no carafe to break or DRIP! (I have never had a coffee
>> carafe that does not drip.

> that looks interesting. But, if the brewed coffee stays inside the
> machine, and not in a carafe, then how do you empty what's left, and
> clean it out?

I'd be willing to bet that the part that holds the brewed coffee is
removable and washable.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey
Dee Randall

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Fri 14 Oct 2005 04:38:41p, Dee Randall wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

>> > wrote in message
>> .net...

.net...

>>> In that case, make sure you are using good water and buy a gold filter
>>> to fit your choice if it does not come with one.
>>>

>>> jim
>>>

>> Does a gold filter last -- I've used one when I've been out of filters.
>> Then I wonder if I will taste something metallic. They look to me as if
>> they might even "peel." I know they are not made of GOLD. What is it,
>> I wonder. Thanks.
>> Dee Dee
>>

> Yes, it's gold, but gold-plated. Gold is highly non-reactive, as with
> gold
> fillings in your teeth. They don't taste metallic.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright *¿*

I should know that! I have a mouthful! (They don't show tho. They are on
my bite.)
As with all gold-plated, I'd have to have Consumers' Reports do a test; I've
had gold plated (and silver plated) silver-ware and jewelry; it doesn't last
forever. Maybe I should ask now, -- how long do they last before it comes
off -- tee hee.
Dee Dee

Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 14 Oct 2005 06:28:25p, Dee Randall wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> .net...

y.net...

>>> Does a gold filter last -- I've used one when I've been out of
>>> filters. Then I wonder if I will taste something metallic. They look
>>> to me as if they might even "peel." I know they are not made of GOLD.
>>> What is it, I wonder. Thanks.
>>> Dee Dee
>>>

>> Yes, it's gold, but gold-plated. Gold is highly non-reactive, as with
>> gold fillings in your teeth. They don't taste metallic.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright *¿*

> I should know that! I have a mouthful! (They don't show tho. They are
> on my bite.)
> As with all gold-plated, I'd have to have Consumers' Reports do a test;
> I've had gold plated (and silver plated) silver-ware and jewelry; it
> doesn't last forever. Maybe I should ask now, -- how long do they last
> before it comes off -- tee hee.
> Dee Dee

I've had one for over 10 years, but it depends entirely on how you handle
it. I just rinse mine on a daily basis and wash in the dishwasher once a
week, making sure that nothing touches it.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey
Dave Smith

Dee Randall wrote:

> Does a gold filter last -- I've used one when I've been out of filters.
> Then I wonder if I will taste something metallic. They look to me as if they
> might even "peel." I know they are not made of GOLD. What is it, I wonder.
> Thanks.

I bought one at least 10 years ago and it is on it's third machine and still
going strong. It leaves no metallic taste. After a batch of coffee I just tap it
upside down into the compost pail and most of the grounds fall out. Then I hold
it upside down and spray up into it to get the rest of the grounds out and it is
ready to use again. In all the time I have had it I have never had to worry
about running out of filters or having a filter flop over in the cone.

C & S

That's an interesting coffee maker. How do you deal with the serving of
coffee when entertaining?

Carole
Champlain, NY

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
. ..

> We have had many over the years - we recently purchased one of the brew
> stations:

http://www.hamiltonbeach.com/kitchen..._12/47224.html

> This is not a "gourmet" coffee machine but for a countertop workhorse and

there
> is no carafe to break or DRIP! (I have never had a coffee carafe that

does not
> drip.
>
> Once I purchased a BRUN from Costco - about a year later the carafe

broke - the
> coffee maker was about $50.00 the replacement carafe was $35.00 and the

"special
> lid" was another $7.00.
>
> Dimitri

notbob

On 2005-10-14, <RJ> > wrote:

> There's something about a cone filter that makes a better pot of coffee.
> Maybe it directs more of the water through the grounds.

No. In fact, the paper cone filter absorbs some of the aroma and
flavor components of coffee. Try a French press for the best brew.

nb
Dee Randall

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> Dee Randall wrote:
>

>> Does a gold filter last -- I've used one when I've been out of filters.
>> Then I wonder if I will taste something metallic. They look to me as if
>> they
>> might even "peel." I know they are not made of GOLD. What is it, I
>> wonder.
>> Thanks.

> I bought one at least 10 years ago and it is on it's third machine and
> still
> going strong. It leaves no metallic taste. After a batch of coffee I just
> tap it
> upside down into the compost pail and most of the grounds fall out. Then I
> hold
> it upside down and spray up into it to get the rest of the grounds out and
> it is
> ready to use again. In all the time I have had it I have never had to
> worry
> about running out of filters or having a filter flop over in the cone.

One exception, I think I'd have to wash it with soap each time or two of use
because of the oily leavin's. I can wash my plastic basket with plain water
a couple of times, but after that I can start tasting the nasty oil of the
old coffee. Perhaps this oily residue rinses off gold better than
plastic -- hmmm.
Dee Dee

Dee Randall

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2005-10-14, <RJ> > wrote:
>
>> There's something about a cone filter that makes a better pot of coffee.
>> Maybe it directs more of the water through the grounds.

> No. In fact, the paper cone filter absorbs some of the aroma and
> flavor components of coffee. Try a French press for the best brew.
>
> nb

Bob, how did you get started using a French press. Coffee coming out of it
tastes like drinking either Turkish coffee or the coffee we made on the farm
where we threw a handfull of coffee into a boiling pot of water and let it
sink to the bottom --
When did you start liking the French press.
Dee Dee

smithfarms pure kona

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 10:38:14 -0400, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:

>"notbob" > wrote in message
>> On 2005-10-14, <RJ> > wrote:
>>
>>> There's something about a cone filter that makes a better pot of

coffee.
>>> Maybe it directs more of the water through the grounds.

>> No. In fact, the paper cone filter absorbs some of the aroma and
>> flavor components of coffee. Try a French press for the best brew.
>>
>> nb

>Bob, how did you get started using a French press. Coffee coming out

of it
>tastes like drinking either Turkish coffee or the coffee we made on

the farm
>where we threw a handfull of coffee into a boiling pot of water and

let it
>sink to the bottom --
>When did you start liking the French press.
>Dee Dee

When you have great fresh roasted coffee, a French Press is the best,
I agree. You get all of the flavor. If it is junk and old coffee,
that's the full flavor you'll get as well.

aloha,
Thunder
smithfarms.com
Farmers of 100% Kona Coffee
& other Great Stuff

In >, on 10/14/05
at 07:38 PM, "Dee Randall" > said:

> wrote in message
e.net...
>> In >, on 10/14/05
>> at 01:11 PM, "C & S" > said:
>>

>>>"L, not -L" > wrote in message
. net...

>>>Thank you for pointing out the need for clarification. I consider myself
>>>a "middle of the road" coffee drinker. I grind my own beans but am not
>>>obsess over types of beans or methods of roasting (we do have a close
>>>friend who roasts his own beans, amazing coffee). I want a reliable
>>>electrical appliance that's going to brew a decent cup of coffee.

>> In that case, make sure you are using good water and buy a gold filter to
>> fit your choice if it does not come with one.
>>

>> jim
>>

>Does a gold filter last -- I've used one when I've been out of filters.
>Then I wonder if I will taste something metallic. They look to me as if
>they might even "peel." I know they are not made of GOLD. What is it,
>I wonder. Thanks.
>Dee Dee

They last very well, but keep in mind, the gold filter is fairly thin and
you don't want to scrub it with anything hard. If it is a good gold
filter, you should get no metalic taste. At least none of the ones I have
experience with impart any taste.

In >, on 10/15/05
at 01:45 AM, notbob > said:

>On 2005-10-14, <RJ> > wrote:

>> There's something about a cone filter that makes a better pot of coffee.
>> Maybe it directs more of the water through the grounds.

>No. In fact, the paper cone filter absorbs some of the aroma and flavor
>components of coffee. Try a French press for the best brew.

>nb

More importantly, it absorbs the coffee oils - that thin sheen you can see
on a good cup of coffee. --

In >, on 10/15/05
at 10:38 AM, "Dee Randall" > said:

>"notbob" > wrote in message
>> On 2005-10-14, <RJ> > wrote:
>>
>>> There's something about a cone filter that makes a better pot of coffee.
>>> Maybe it directs more of the water through the grounds.

>> No. In fact, the paper cone filter absorbs some of the aroma and
>> flavor components of coffee. Try a French press for the best brew.
>>
>> nb

>Bob, how did you get started using a French press. Coffee coming out of
>it tastes like drinking either Turkish coffee or the coffee we made on
>the farm where we threw a handfull of coffee into a boiling pot of water
>and let it sink to the bottom --
>When did you start liking the French press.
>Dee Dee

If it tastes like that, then it has to do with the amount of ground coffee
you are suing and the grind of the coffee. Coffee for a French Press
should be coarsely ground (like for perc coffee).

Then try 1TBS ground coffee per six oz of water and adjust from there. If
it is too weak go to one per four oz, too strong then 1 to eight oz.

There are differing standards. My latest FP says a 1 to four ratio. I've
others that say 2 T per six. This happens because of differing values on
what a cup is. We use eight OZ, but a coffee cup in some places is set at
six oz and so o.

Enjoy,

jim

Dee Randall

> wrote in message
.net...
> In >, on 10/15/05
> at 01:45 AM, notbob > said:
>

>>On 2005-10-14, <RJ> > wrote:

>>> There's something about a cone filter that makes a better pot of coffee.
>>> Maybe it directs more of the water through the grounds.

>>No. In fact, the paper cone filter absorbs some of the aroma and flavor
>>components of coffee. Try a French press for the best brew.

>>nb

> More importantly, it absorbs the coffee oils - that thin sheen you can see
> on a good cup of coffee. --

What are you saying: you want or don't want that thin sheen of oil?
Thanks,
Dee Dee

Dee Randall

> wrote in message
.net...
> In >, on 10/15/05
> at 10:38 AM, "Dee Randall" > said:

>>> No. In fact, the paper cone filter absorbs some of the aroma and
>>> flavor components of coffee. Try a French press for the best brew.
>>>
>>> nb

>>Bob, how did you get started using a French press. Coffee coming out of
>>it tastes like drinking either Turkish coffee or the coffee we made on
>>the farm where we threw a handfull of coffee into a boiling pot of water
>>and let it sink to the bottom --
>>When did you start liking the French press.
>>Dee Dee

> If it tastes like that, then it has to do with the amount of ground coffee
> you are suing and the grind of the coffee. Coffee for a French Press
> should be coarsely ground (like for perc coffee).
>
> Then try 1TBS ground coffee per six oz of water and adjust from there. If
> it is too weak go to one per four oz, too strong then 1 to eight oz.
>
> There are differing standards. My latest FP says a 1 to four ratio. I've
> others that say 2 T per six. This happens because of differing values on
> what a cup is. We use eight OZ, but a coffee cup in some places is set at
> six oz and so o.
>
> Enjoy,
>

> jim

With the French Press do you get coffee grounds in the bottom of your
drinking cup?
Thanks.
Dee De

In >, on 10/15/05
at 07:33 PM, "Dee Randall" > said:

> wrote in message
e.net...
>> In >, on 10/15/05
>> at 01:45 AM, notbob > said:

>>>No. In fact, the paper cone filter absorbs some of the aroma and flavor
>>>components of coffee. Try a French press for the best brew.

>>>nb

>> More importantly, it absorbs the coffee oils - that thin sheen you can see
>> on a good cup of coffee. --

>What are you saying: you want or don't want that thin sheen of oil?
>Thanks,
>Dee Dee

You want it. Oil helps move the flavor around. The paper filters suck it up; presspots and gold filters pass it through to the cup.

In >, on 10/15/05
at 07:34 PM, "Dee Randall" > said:

>With the French Press do you get coffee grounds in the bottom of your
>drinking cup?
>Thanks.
>Dee De

It depends on the grinder. Even set at coarse, you will get some very fine
"dust" that the filter will not trap. These are usually referred to as
"fines." After plunging the press pot, I let it sit for a moment before
pouring and this helps reduce them.

BTW, these are coffee fiber and are so fine that you won;t feel har dbits,
just a fine grittiness.

Keep in mind, that if you let the grounds get above the filter, these will
end up in your cup. Use the top band of the press as an indicator and
don't get anything above it. That way the filtering system should push
anything downward.

jim

Kevin_Sheehy

Dee Randall wrote on 10/15/2005:

<snip>

> What are you saying: you want or don't want that thin sheen of oil?
> Thanks,
> Dee Dee

Sounds a little like the idea of a French press appeals to you. I like
mine.
Just one caution. If you make the full beaker and plunge vigorously,
the
hot water can come up over the top and spill onto your hand. I've never
done it but I've known people who have. Just apply force to the plunger
gingerly and you should be fine.