Old 14-10-2005, 03:35 PM
C & S

Default Coffee maker/brewer

I am looking to buy a quality coffee maker and would greatly appreciate the
opinion of this group regarding the brand they judge to make a decent cup of
coffee. I've had a Black & Decker, a Mr. Coffee and a Phillips (soon to be
buried). I've looked into the Bunn NHB Professional Home Brewer, which has
have a four and 1/4 star review on Amazon. However, before I make the
splurge, I would appreciate your opinion. What brand do you own and would
you recommend it? Thank you for your imput.
--
Carole
Champlain, NY

Fine style does not make something true, nor has a man a wise soul
because he has a handsome face and well-chosen eloquence.

Aurelius Augustinus (354-430)

Old 14-10-2005, 04:37 PM
~patches~

C & S wrote:

I am looking to buy a quality coffee maker and would greatly appreciate the
opinion of this group regarding the brand they judge to make a decent cup of
coffee. I've had a Black & Decker, a Mr. Coffee and a Phillips (soon to be
buried). I've looked into the Bunn NHB Professional Home Brewer, which has
have a four and 1/4 star review on Amazon. However, before I make the
splurge, I would appreciate your opinion. What brand do you own and would
you recommend it? Thank you for your imput.

We have a Faberware purcolator. It's ancient! DH swears the purcolator
coffee tastes the best. DD has on of those fancy dancy pod coffee
things that make one cup at a time using coffee pucks. Friends of our
stick with their Mr Coffee drip thing. I guess it just depends on what
you want from your coffee. Some mornings instant is just fine with me
Old 14-10-2005, 05:15 PM
kilikini

"C & S" wrote in message
I am looking to buy a quality coffee maker and would greatly appreciate

the
opinion of this group regarding the brand they judge to make a decent cup

of
coffee. I've had a Black & Decker, a Mr. Coffee and a Phillips (soon to

be
buried). I've looked into the Bunn NHB Professional Home Brewer, which

has
have a four and 1/4 star review on Amazon. However, before I make the
splurge, I would appreciate your opinion. What brand do you own and would
you recommend it? Thank you for your imput.
--

We have a Bunn that I bought for my husband last year for Christmas. He
swears by them. The last one he had was from 1950! Yes, they're expensive

kili

Old 14-10-2005, 05:19 PM
~patches~

L, not -L wrote:

snip
then Mr Coffee type brewers and some folks may already be over-challenged
just stumbling to the kitchen of a morningsmile.

Only if they are the same folks on the hangover thread

Old 14-10-2005, 05:19 PM
smithfarms pure kona

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 10:35:29 -0400, "C & S"
wrote:

I am looking to buy a quality coffee maker and would greatly

appreciate the
opinion of this group regarding the brand they judge to make a decent

cup of
coffee. I've had a Black & Decker, a Mr. Coffee and a Phillips (soon

to be
buried). I've looked into the Bunn NHB Professional Home Brewer,

which has
have a four and 1/4 star review on Amazon. However, before I make

the
splurge, I would appreciate your opinion. What brand do you own and

would
you recommend it? Thank you for your imput.

If you google for alt.coffee--another usenet group and put in the line
"What coffee maker should I get" you will find a recent thread with 27

Good luck.

with aloha from a coffee farmer...
Thunder

smithfarms.com
Farmers of 100% Kona Coffee
& other Great Stuff

Old 14-10-2005, 05:40 PM
Dee Randall

"C & S" wrote in message
I am looking to buy a quality coffee maker and would greatly appreciate
the
opinion of this group regarding the brand they judge to make a decent cup
of
coffee. I've had a Black & Decker, a Mr. Coffee and a Phillips (soon to
be
buried). I've looked into the Bunn NHB Professional Home Brewer, which
has
have a four and 1/4 star review on Amazon. However, before I make the
splurge, I would appreciate your opinion. What brand do you own and would
you recommend it? Thank you for your imput.
--
Carole

I'm wondering if this isn't a happenstance purchase. I searched on Amazon a
coffee maker that I thought was a pretty good idea, it had over 200 reviews,
most of them pretty darned bad. I was totally surprised.

Here is what I plan to do when I research a new purchase of a coffee pot.
Google "coffee makers," find something that looks like you would really like
to have.
Then read the multitude of reviews about it. I think these hundreds of
reviews really get down to the nitty-gritty about a coffee maker. And they
are really passionate about it when they write the review.
Coffee is something I love, and a coffee maker is something I'm not very
complacent about; and I don't want to turn around and invest bigger bucks in
something I don't like.
For instance, the coffee maker I was researching, too many were saying that
the coffee in it was not hot enough. This is something you can learn from a
multitude of reviewers, saying what they don't like instead of what they do
like. What someone else might recommend, I might hate, but I like to know
what people hate about something they bought.
Dee Dee

Old 14-10-2005, 05:56 PM
Dimitri

"C & S" wrote in message
I am looking to buy a quality coffee maker and would greatly appreciate the
opinion of this group regarding the brand they judge to make a decent cup of
coffee. I've had a Black & Decker, a Mr. Coffee and a Phillips (soon to be
buried). I've looked into the Bunn NHB Professional Home Brewer, which has
have a four and 1/4 star review on Amazon. However, before I make the
splurge, I would appreciate your opinion. What brand do you own and would
you recommend it? Thank you for your imput.
--
Carole
Champlain, NY
http://photos.yahoo.com/ceridwen_rhea

We have had many over the years - we recently purchased one of the brew
stations:

http://www.hamiltonbeach.com/kitchen..._12/47224.html

This is not a "gourmet" coffee machine but for a countertop workhorse and there
is no carafe to break or DRIP! (I have never had a coffee carafe that does not
drip.

Once I purchased a BRUN from Costco - about a year later the carafe broke - the
coffee maker was about $50.00 the replacement carafe was $35.00 and the "special
lid" was another $7.00.

Dimitri

Old 14-10-2005, 06:11 PM
C & S

"L, not -L" wrote in message

Perhaps a little more info would help; are you a coffee "fanatic" or just
want a coffeemaker that doesn't die in a few months? The reason I ask is,
if you are not a fanatic - don't grind beans at home and obsess over Kona
vs. Peaberry vs. whatever - the answers will be very different.

Thank you for pointing out the need for clarification. I consider myself a
"middle of the road" coffee drinker. I grind my own beans but am not obsess
over types of beans or methods of roasting (we do have a close friend who
roasts his own beans, amazing coffee). I want a reliable electrical
appliance that's going to brew a decent cup of coffee.

If you just want a good cup or Maxwell House or Folgers or whatever, then

suggesting you
get a vacuum brewer or french press is probably not productive. If you

are
a "fanatic", I suggest you ask your question on alt.food.coffee and
rec.food.drink.coffee where other fanatics can guide you. If you just

want
a Mr. Coffee type that works without all the marketing hype, you might

also
want to ask in rec.food.equipment

Thank you for pointing out the specialty ng. I wasn't aware of such groups.
Having posted on this ng requesting recommendations for a stand mixer, and
having rec'd such amazing and valuable comments from numerous members, I
thought I would seek the expertise of this group once again.

Personally, I gave up on Mr. Coffee and equivalent brewers and went with a
stove-top vacuum pot (Bodum Santos) when I want an 8-cup pot and a french
press (Starbucks, made by Bodum) when I want a 4-cup pot. IMHO, I get a

much
better tasting cup of coffee, from the same Eight O'Clock brand 100%
Columbian beans. However, these pots require a tiny bit more fussing

around
then Mr Coffee type brewers and some folks may already be over-challenged
just stumbling to the kitchen of a morningsmile.

I'm looking for a quality electrical drip coffee maker that makes a decent
coffee pot and that will last longer than the three others I have mentioned.
I guess that would make it a middle of the road appliance. I have a french
press and find it inefficient in the morning rush hour (it's our camping
coffee maker ;o).

Thank you again for pointing out the need to clarify.

Old 14-10-2005, 06:17 PM
C & S

Would yours be comparable to the Bunn NHB Professional Home Brewer? That's
that one that caught my eye. How is the coffee? I wouldn't mind paying
that kind of money if it provides me with years of service and a decent cup
of coffee.

Carole
Champlain, NY

Old 14-10-2005, 06:48 PM
kilikini

"C & S" wrote in message
Would yours be comparable to the Bunn NHB Professional Home Brewer?

That's
that one that caught my eye. How is the coffee? I wouldn't mind paying
that kind of money if it provides me with years of service and a decent

cup
of coffee.

Carole
Champlain, NY

I don't drink coffee, but my husband says it makes a good pot. We brew tea
in it as well. Oh, and I always grind the beans first when I make the
coffee.

We have this BUNN: http://www.bunnomatic.com/pages/windows/NHB_black.html

Like I said, though, the other Bunn my husband had was a 1950's model;
lasted for 50 years. We only tossed it because it had fallen, cracked the
base where the water is stored, and had a slow leak. I got tired of
cleaning up after it so I got a new one. My MIL has had her bun since the
1960's - over 40 years old.

It doesn't have a timer, but like I said, I grind my own beans, anyway.

HTH!

kili

Old 14-10-2005, 07:00 PM
Dave Smith

C & S wrote:

I am looking to buy a quality coffee maker and would greatly appreciate the
opinion of this group regarding the brand they judge to make a decent cup of
coffee. I've had a Black & Decker, a Mr. Coffee and a Phillips (soon to be
buried). I've looked into the Bunn NHB Professional Home Brewer, which has
have a four and 1/4 star review on Amazon. However, before I make the
splurge, I would appreciate your opinion. What brand do you own and would
you recommend it? Thank you for your imput.

I use a cheap Moulinex that was under $15. It is just the basic body with
heating element for the water and hot plate. It makes coffee pretty much the
same as any other coffee maker I have had in the past. AFAIC, the important
factor is the coffee and the grind, because all coffee maker does is heat up the
water and send it up to the basket where it wets the beans and drips into the
pot. I know several people who have various types of much more expensive
machines who make coffee that is pretty bad in comparison to mine, but they use
cheap coffee and make it too weak.

Old 14-10-2005, 07:03 PM
Dave Smith

Dimitri wrote:

Once I purchased a BRUN from Costco - about a year later the carafe broke - the
coffee maker was about $50.00 the replacement carafe was $35.00 and the "special
lid" was another $7.00.

When my the pot from my old Braun broke it was about the same price to be the cheap
Moulinex ( without all the bells and whistle that can go wrong ) as it was to replace
the carafe. The I figured it, I bought a new carafe and got a coffee maker thrown in.
:-)

Old 14-10-2005, 07:53 PM
Dee Randall

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
C & S wrote:

[...]

I'll have to agree with you. I'm in between coffee pots, so DH bought one
at Overstock or some sorta place because our Krups after 15 or so years
failed. Actually the coffee in this el cheapo is not that bad! So I'm in no
hurry, but I know it won't last.
Dee Dee

Old 14-10-2005, 08:00 PM
Dave Smith

Dee Randall wrote:

I'll have to agree with you. I'm in between coffee pots, so DH bought one
at Overstock or some sorta place because our Krups after 15 or so years
failed. Actually the coffee in this el cheapo is not that bad! So I'm in no
hurry, but I know it won't last.

What is there not to last? They are all made in the third world, all primarily
automated assembly lines with cheap labour. The more expensive come with timers
and pressure sensitive switches that serve more to shorten their live than
anything really important. Heck, who really needs a timer on a drop coffee
maker. If you are really pressed for time in the morning you can prepare a pot
ahead of time and set the timer (which will fail if their is a power outage).
But you is so pressed for time that they can't flip a switch and get their
coffee a few minutes later? I have been through a number of drip coffee
machines over the years, and the "good" makers didn't last any longer than the
cheap units. It just cost a heck of a lot more to replace them.